Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5401 of 5419 Old 06-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks Jorgens! As much as I love my W9 I will not snack on it.
steve1971 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5419 Old 06-13-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Thanks Jorgens! As much as I love my W9 I will not snack on it.

Me neither helvetica. I dont think I will take a bite out of mine anytime soon.
post #5403 of 5419 Old 06-13-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Darn I forgot to ask. Does anyone have their W9 hardwired to their router? I ask because I did this to mine today and I wanted to know if there is any benefits to it unlike just useing the built in wifi. Any thoughts let me know guys. Thanks!
post #5404 of 5419 Old 06-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

I thought the only option was wifi. I'm using wifi but you should get better download speed being hardwired. I have my Xbox One and PS4 hardwired,
post #5405 of 5419 Old 06-13-2015, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
just came across this statement from QDVision on their website, thought it was interesting
from http://www.qdvision.com/content1672

as long as the manufacturing process is safe for the workers, and industrial waste from these factories is appropriately managed according to modern bio hazard safety standards, there really shouldn't be a problem for the end user of an lcd tv using these. the only problem that will arise later is with the disposal at end of life of the device, for which i suspect there will be ethical options (so it doesnt get exported to some poor 3e world country as landfill or for dismantling i unsafe conditions)

looking closer at some of the spectrographic comparisons of the color gamut produced by different Quantum Dot manufacturers in the last 2 years, this cadmium based method seems to be superior. i havnt however found any information on the "home brewn" version sony has developed on their own, it would be interesting to find out because it has now been used afaik in 2 generations of their high end models (2014, and 2015). by all indications the reviews so far indicate it is very similar to the QDVision product in quality

to keep this in context, there is enough radioactivity from Barium in a handful of brazil nuts to set of the Geiger counters monitoring personnel contamination at nuclear reactors http://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/c...brazilnuts.htm yet we happily snack on foods like that regularly without any harm (it all has to do with the toxic dose required for it to reach a harmful biological threshold)

to moral of the story is, as long as you dont take a bite out of your w900a as a late night snack, we should be fine
Sony's version of QD's is actually not QD's at all. It is simply a blue-led (short wavelength) with a yellow phosphor coating. This does not come near what cadmium based QD's can do, but very cost effective versus using actual QD's.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5406 of 5419 Old 06-14-2015, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Sony's version of QD's is actually not QD's at all. It is simply a blue-led (short wavelength) with a yellow phosphor coating. This does not come near what cadmium based QD's can do, but very cost effective versus using actual QD's.
interesting. i havnt seen any firm confirmation either way, with sony either specifically stating in promotional material they still used QD's (their own version), or had a completely different technology that replaced it. sony now is using the "triluminous" tag,for many different backlighting technologies, which they have used since their first RGB led backlighting 6 or 7 yrs ago. the sony store i bought my 900a from told me some months ago that for the 2014 tv range sony developed their own QD technology and stopped using 3e party QD's from QDVision (but obviously the rep might be wrong, either out of ignorance or being deliberately misleading)

have you seen any reviews or technical analyses articles that specifically confirmed their high end 2014 or 2015 models dont use QD's ? (might be to early for the 2015 range since no in depth reviews from the better websites are available yet).

it would be odd if sony didnt have some sort of QD's for their own high end larger screen lcd tv's to provide the increaed color gamut needed for the newer rec.2020 color space. Samsung is using it in 2015 for their upper tier and making a big song and dance about it, so are 2 high end models from panasonic (interestingly one of those still using an IPS lcd screen, which is a first for QD's afaik), and panasonic is also using QD's for a few select high end models in 2015 (they stopped all plasma tv consumer products this year and deliberately included some QD models to maintain competitiveness)

when i prodded a sony rep at a different store about samsungs 2015 QD models, he replied "sony has been using that for a number of years already" (which is true, but his implied meaning was that sony was still using it). similar "dual meaning" statements from sony in 2015 are also in promotional print material, as a way to try and muffle the samsung big promotion this year of QD's i presume.

blue led backlighting for lcd tv's is one of the oldest and cheapest replacement methods since CCFL was abandoned a number of yrs ago by the better brands for their flagship devices, so having sony put a dollop of phospher on a legacy blue led and try and outperform QD or OLED in picture/video quality would be surprising. its deficiencies should show up in objective instrumental measurements (color gamut, color spectrum etc)

and here is a example of reviewers stating sony is still using QD's (but again it might be them misquoting a statement from sony that was intended to mislead)
Quote:
2. Picture quality focus – including Sony's Triluminos picture processing
What is it? Sony is focussing on picture quality as a key selling point for its 2014 TVs. This might sound obvious, but many of the other brands at CES seemed to be using design or 'smart' features as their main marketing attractions.
Heading up the picture attractions is Triluminos – Sony’s name for the quantum dot technology it introduced to such great effect last year for delivering a noticeably richer, more nuanced colour performance. Triluminos is found on all of Sony’s 4K TVs (more on these in a moment) as well as the W9 HD series.
from http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...u-need-to-know

and similarly for some of the upcoming 2015 models Sony is still promoting the same quantum dot technical benefit:
Quote:
'..........'.......To challenge OLED on color, the X910C uses the latest generation of Sony's quantum dot/nanocrystal light-filtering technology, which the company calls Triluminos. Sony promises that its brand-new image processor, the X1, will display all those colors more accurately......"
ref: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/hottest-tvs,news-18201.html

Last edited by Jorgens; 06-14-2015 at 07:43 AM.
post #5407 of 5419 Old 06-14-2015, 06:38 AM

the plot thickens:

re 2015 led tv models, from a recent C-net article ......................
Quote:
............And while Samsung, LG and others tout quantum dots and nanocrystals, a Sony rep pointed out that its TVs were actually the first to market quantum dots way back in 2013 with models like the KDL-55W900A. As for the Truluminous technology found on the better 2014 sets, as well as nearly every 4K 2015 Sony TV? "We developed our own nano-crystal technology, which we have been using for the last two years that offers the same benefits as Quantum Dots.".........
ref: http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-tvs-go...droid-powered/

technically it can be correct to call this blue LED with phosphor nanaocrystals "quantum dot" because semiconductor nanocrystals having dimensions smaller than 10nm are also described as quantum dots.
ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanocrystal

so we have come full circle: sony can technically say it has developed its own "quantum dot" nanocrystal technology, but the terminology and branding is somewhat ambiguous

i would love to see a direct spectral and color gamut comparison of these 3 quantum dot methods
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Last edited by Jorgens; 06-14-2015 at 07:35 AM.
post #5408 of 5419 Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
the plot thickens:

re 2015 led tv models, from a recent C-net article ......................
ref: http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-tvs-go...droid-powered/

technically it can be correct to call this blue LED with phosphor nanaocrystals "quantum dot" because semiconductor nanocrystals having dimensions smaller than 10nm are also described as quantum dots.
ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanocrystal

so we have come full circle: sony can technically say it has developed its own "quantum dot" nanocrystal technology, but the terminology and branding is somewhat ambiguous

i would love to see a direct spectral and color gamut comparison of these 3 quantum dot methods

Interesting. I was lead to believe that Sony quit using Quantum Dots all together after they stopped making the W900A and X900A. Now they are saying they make their own QD's? I to would like to see a direct spectral and color gamut comparison of the 3 QD methods because I find it hard to believe they are better then what they originally used in the W9 and X9. I could be wrong though.
post #5409 of 5419 Old 06-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Interesting. I was lead to believe that Sony quit using Quantum Dots all together after they stopped making the W900A and X900A.
sony might not be able to use the "quantum dot" term because maybe it is a copyrighted brand name, but by all indications sony has now developed its own version of the same technology. quantum dots are nanocrystals, and as we just were able to confirm, sony's new inhouse method also uses nanocrystals (even if they market the improved performance by using the old "triluminous" name they have used since introducing RGB baclighting led's +/- 7 yrs ago

our w900a uses a QDVision nanocrystal technology (cadmium based), and i think its main competitor is Nanosys which uses Indium quantum dot technology (used in the 2015 samsung range ?). i suspect the new sony system is different again, both because it is designed in house by their own tech team for their own purposes and because they would want to avoid patent problems in copying either of those other systems to closely. i have not found any tech articles yet that compare these 3 systems. since these nanocrystals provide a significant improvement over simple blue or white led backlighting, i suspect all 3 of those nanocrystal implementations produce similar good result.

another forum member posted a little earlier in this thread an image with a spectral comparison of our w900a and the latest 2015 samsung lcd tv (js9000 model?), but i have no idea what article the image came from (it could be home made from by another forum user in a different thread, and there is no indication where the samsung graph came from). the spectral graph of our w900a producing white light at 6500K came from this website http://hdguru.com/sony-kdl-55w900a-led-lcd-hdtv-review/ in that same review they compare the spectral graph for white light taken from an ultra cheap chinese 4k lcd tv to illustrate the difference with a high end model like the 2013 sony quantum dot units.

this is a good general article from wired magazine discussing nanocrystal technology http://www.wired.com/2015/01/primer-quantum-dot/
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Jorgens; 06-15-2015 at 05:58 PM.
post #5410 of 5419 Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
File Description UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 6/29/2015 Version PKG4.540AAA File Size 156.27 MB Download

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.540AAA) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG4.510AAA:
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.540AAA:
  • Improves performance and stability of the Internet TV features
  • Improves video and audio playback performance
  • Enables Transport Layer Security 1.0 (TLS1.0) to enhance security of Internet applications
  • Improves reliability to the Secure Sockets Layer 3.0 (SSL3.0)
  • Improves performance and stability of your TV
  • Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
  • Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function
  • Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
    Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
  • Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection
steve1971 and HD KOOL-AID like this.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #5411 of 5419 Old 06-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Funny I just received the update. Still this seems like every other update tho?
Can't complain at least we get new firmware.
post #5412 of 5419 Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I did the update earlier this afternoon and I agree with what helvetica said. Seems to be almost the same as the last update but as helvetica also said at least we still get updates and our tv's havent been forgotton about.
post #5413 of 5419 Old 06-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone notice Sony (940c) scored low in color accuracy during the Value Electronics shoot out. The Samsung kick it's butt. I hope Sony rethinks their QD or whatever tech they're using.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5414 of 5419 Old 06-29-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone notice Sony (940c) scored low in color accuracy during the Value Electronics shoot out. The Samsung kick it's butt. I hope Sony rethinks their QD or whatever tech they're using.

I read that to helvetica and it surprised me a little because the 940c is supposed to be Sony's flagship 4K set and you would think that its PQ would be unmatched. I wonder how our W9's would score against it? I bet our tv's would beat the 940c as well in PQ. I still cant figure out why Sony is useing 120hz panels in their 4K tv's. You would think that for their bread and butter 4K tv's they would be using higher refresh rate panels but from what I understand they arent.
post #5415 of 5419 Unread Yesterday, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Anyone notice Sony (940c) scored low in color accuracy during the Value Electronics shoot out. The Samsung kick it's butt.
all 4 sets used in that shootout were uncalibrated, and even if sony's are usually pretty good "out of the box" it isnt really a realistic comparison of the real potential any of these models. Looking at how that shootout was done, it seems pretty superficial to me compared to some of the usual in depth review and calibrations from other websites we normally would look at to guide our buying decisions.

yesterday i saw for the first time the 2015 sony range of 4k models for the asia pacific region at our local sony store, and at first impression they looked very good (running looped demo video clips). colors were very vibrant and great detail and textures. they had been setup earlier the same day and the sales staff hadnt even received their training instruction from the sony tech's yet. when i in previous weeks i looked at the new 2015 range of samsung 4k models, those just didnt have the same appeal to me even if their image was pretty spectacular (and being 4k it should be !). to me however as an initial comparison, the video on the samsungs just seemed flatter and blander. part of what appealed to me more in the sony's is the very good sony motion control, and for the 2015 models i also still prefer the colors and textures it creates.

it is possible sony's own nanocrystal implementation in 2014 and 2015 is not yet as good as that of the 2 big global tech companies that till now have supplied most of the market (nanosys and QDVision), but with the 2015 models it the first time a direct comparison will be possible (since from this year panasonic, LG and samsung also started using them). it probably will take the next 6 months for a number of better in depth technical reviews of these 2015 models to appear before we will know how sony's QD implementation compares to the other major brands.
helvetica bold and steve1971 like this.

Last edited by Jorgens; Yesterday at 06:31 PM.
post #5416 of 5419 Unread Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

I stand corrected about the color. Jorgens you will find this review interesting. if you haven't read it already.

"The company hasn’t used quantum dot technology since its 2013 W9 and X9 televisions, but its wide colour gamut (WCG)-capable LED backlight (retaining the same TRILUMINOS marketing term) allowed the KD55X9305C to reach 91% of DCI-P3 standard anyway with [Colour space] set – somewhat ironically – to “BT.2020“. [Colour space] “DCI” came in slightly smaller at 89% DCI-P3."

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55x...1506224127.htm
Jorgens and steve1971 like this.
post #5417 of 5419 Unread Today, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought my W9 in May of 2014 and it has a production date of 1/2014. Since I have owned it it never ceases to amaze me on how beautiful the PQ is when I turn it on. Its still gives me and my wife that wow factor everytime. From regular HD programming, to Blu ray, to Nextflix ect it has been an awsome experience. Not once have I ever thought of replacing it with another tv and after seeing all the new tv's that have come out my mind still hasnt changed. 4K certainly hasnt changed my mind and I think the only tv I would even consider replacing it with is OLED. But OLED may not even get off the ground. Yes LG sells OLED sets but the price is way out of my ballpark. So Im hoping for a long life for my W9 because other then OLED I aint interested. Why? Because none of the sets of 2015 impresses me one bit.

Just thought I would add this for those interested: http://www.insideci.co.uk/articles/i...and-ready.aspx.

That pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for me even thinking of getting a 4K tv anytime soon. No 4K 3D means no 4K tv for me now or anytime in the near future.

Last edited by steve1971; Today at 12:53 PM.
post #5418 of 5419 Unread Today, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi guys, can anyone confirm if our w9 has HbbTV?
post #5419 of 5419 Unread Today, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected about the color. Jorgens you will find this review interesting. if you haven't read it already.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55x...1506224127.htm
thanks for posting the review, i hadnt seen it yet.

as you just indicated, this more in depth review pretty much confirms the sets ability to accurately reproduce color ( and it shows why the earlier "valuelectronics" comparison's is rather superficial ). from the hdtvtest ........

Quote:
......as we’ve discovered on previous Sony TVs, once greyscale was calibrated, colours fell into place very nicely, hitting an outstanding level of accuracy.......
in the next 6 months we'll get more in depth reviews of the top models of the 4 major tv brands and it will become easier to determine what their respective strenghts and weaknesses are. the main concern with the 2015 sony 4k range is the fact that full HDR implementation is still waiting on the promised firmware update, and the hdtvtest review seems to indicate there is still no 4.4.4 chroma support for 4k on its hdmi inputs (which is only relevant for gamers with monster pc's)

Quote:
"The company hasn’t used quantum dot technology since its 2013 W9 and X9 televisions, but its wide colour gamut (WCG)-capable LED backlight (retaining the same TRILUMINOS marketing term) allowed the KD55X9305C to reach 91% of DCI-P3 standard anyway with [Colour space] set – somewhat ironically – to “BT.2020“. [Colour space] “DCI” came in slightly smaller at 89% DCI-P3."
imho their comment about sony not using quantum dots since 2013 just adds to the confusion for the general public. as confirmed recently in this forum thread, sony has developed its own version of nanocrystals to create the enhanced color gamut displays in 2014 and 2015 (even if it doesnt, or isnt allowed to, call it quantum dots anymore). iirc it is the use of these nanocrystals that allows the led backlight to create accurately the increased colour gamut now needed for DCI-P3 and the rec.2020 of 4k, and from everything i have seen in retailers showrooms and read in technical reviews it does so very well. only when we have a direct comparison of the spectral output of the RGB color format will we be able to tell if sony's inhouse implementation of nanocrystals is as good as the cadmium based quantum dots in our 2013 sony's, and that comparison will cut through a lot of the hyperbole and jargon spin from the various manufacturers and reviewers (or their supporters).

but even if the 4k technical standards have now recently been agreed, it is still very early days to dip into that technology since most brands havnt fully implemented it in 2015 and there is hardly any material available in that format. if anybody is at the stage of replacing/upgrading an older HD set, sure these 4k new models are great, but if you already have a good 2k model (be this plasma, oled or quantum dot), then there is absolutely no reason unless you have 7000k burning a hole in your pocket and an itch from perpetual annual upgrade fever.

Last edited by Jorgens; Today at 07:04 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread