Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5491 of 5492 Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Did you hear from the Sony-authorized service center? If its not the acutal panel (screen) I would think it should be fixable.
When I lightly scratched my screen I called Sony and they said they can't fix the screen. The scratch was so superficial I just let it go.
Anyway good luck, we all love our W9s.
Sponsored Links
post #5492 of 5492 Old Today, 12:51 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
KDL-55W900A purchased February 3, 2014 (less than 2 years old). Picture and sound died, panel turned itself off, and then 5 RED FLASHES
ouchhh !! the dreaded 5 red flashing lights. from all i have read in the past this indeed means big trouble

depending on what country you live in, there might be some good news about getting sony to help you even if the official warranty was only for 1 year. expensive consumer items like washing machines, fridges , tv's etc.. (usually over 1000 $ in purchasing cost) have the reasonable expectation from the consumer that they will last longer then 12 months (without that assumption NONE of those goods would be sold to normal consumers in fact). Consumer affairs will usually support you in those cases, and will make the manufacturer replace the item even if you are for ex 18 months into owning it etc. In your case it is still less then 2 years, so you have a very good chance this will also apply to you

if i were you i would asap contact consumer affairs and lodge a complaint (the earlier that is dated the better), and meanwhile keep badgering Sony customer support for a replacement, asking to speak to the supervisor, customer affairs manager, etc... Where i live you have a 95% chance of success with consumer affairs in those cases, but in most cases the companies customer relations will even resolve it before consumer affairs gets involved. when calling their customer support, use the drone surfing method, if one rep is not cooperative ring the same service back again after you hang up, and you have a chance the next rep is more helpful (keep track of names/dates/times). dont get mad and rude to them, be firm and clear in what your reasons are and why it is their faulty product that is creating the problem, and keep complaining about the large amount of money you spent on it.

while going through the complaint processes, keep track of people's names and dates etc, so you have a record of trying to resolve it through normal customer support channels first. as a last resort you could also write to sony head office (find specific names of the directors for ex, and cc it to customer relations ) with a formal complaints (use registered mail , so there is a paperwork trail). when directors keep getting personal mail with customer complaints like that they will often tell their customer relations reps to "make this go away" (resolving it in your favor).

if none of that works (highly unlikely), you can still take them to small claims court here (at no cost to you), and have the pleasure of seeing a sony rep try and explain why their 2000 $ tv's blow up a few days after the 12 months warranty runs out.

lastly, look back if you purchased it with a mastercard or visa card, they often add additional warranties for electronic goods when you use them to purchase the item (usually up to 2 yrs)

there might not be an equivalent quantum dot HD replacement sony can give you, and dont expect them to give you a high end 4k, but you should be able to get their highest spec'd HD unit as a free replacement.

good luck !!

Last edited by Jorgens; Today at 01:00 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page