Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 286Likes

post #5491 of 5687 Old 12-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tsm0ke View Post
my serial is not that far from yours about 7000 before it i really hope this is not going to happened to my tv, where did you buy the tv from mine came from amazon

** SEEMS 5 RED FLASHES = TCON_ERR / HFR_ERR / P_ID_ERR

I bought my KDL-55W900A through the military Exchange Service Catalog. I hope your TV holds up, too.

My KDL being less than 2 years old, this experience has been a real nightmare for me... Sony may offer a discount on a new 1080P set; but NOT on a 4K model. (In my opinion, this is not satisfactory--why? Because hands down, NO 1080P SONY MAKES TODAY looks as good as the KDL-55W900A...also, my opinion.)

Anyway...I'll try and make a counter-proposal for an XBR-55X850C. (I looked at the X810C and X850C side-by-side at Best Buy. Frankly, NEITHER ONE looked as good from 7' as my KDL-55W900A; but the X850C probably came slightly closer. That's how I saw it...)

So, what about an XBR-65X930C?...I can only dream. Out of my price range, even with Black Friday discount. Again, thanks for the good luck wishes...

Carver HR752 ~ Carver TFM35 ~ Sony XBR55X850C pretty soon (with Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
Waste not, want not. Well, except maybe 4K OLED...that, I want.
(RIP, Sony KDL55W900A. Bought it brand new--the TV wasn't even 22 months old. Golly, what a great deal THAT was, Sony...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5687 Old 12-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
might want to try and get the tcon board and replace it yourself i saw on ebay they are $25 to $40
so i would say grab that and try and fix it.
Jorgens likes this.
post #5493 of 5687 Old 12-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 151
donottosmeok
Im really sorry to hear about your W9.
Maybe you can looking into getting the 2013 flagship Sony XBR-55X900 or a new Samsung UE55JS8500.
The 8500 covers 92% DCI-P3 where the W9 I think covers 94% and you get HDR!
I would think its the closest you can get to the W9 without spending an arm and a leg.
post #5494 of 5687 Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
might want to try and get the tcon board and replace it yourself i saw on ebay they are $25 to $40

I considered that, even before he examined the set. But once he ran the Self Test, he told me the next TCON would also show an error; because it's the panel that has the problem. I didn't have a reason not to believe him. After all, if installing another TCON would have fixed it--and at the same time, made more money for him--then, why wouldn't he fix it? He'd be losing money by NOT fixing it. (i.e., there's no point to installing a part that isn't going to fix the problem--the panel.)

Carver HR752 ~ Carver TFM35 ~ Sony XBR55X850C pretty soon (with Terk HDTVa OTA) ~ OPPO BDP103 ~ AQ Cinnamon HDMI video & Diamondback analog audio ~ Monster Z2 biwire ~ Polk Audio LSi15
(RIP, Sony KDL55W900A. Bought it brand new--the TV wasn't even 22 months old. Golly, what a great deal THAT was, Sony...)
post #5495 of 5687 Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
donottosmeok
Im really sorry to hear about your W9.
Maybe you can looking into getting the 2013 flagship Sony XBR-55X900 or a new Samsung UE55JS8500.
The 8500 covers 92% DCI-P3 where the W9 I think covers 94% and you get HDR!
I would think its the closest you can get to the W9 without spending an arm and a leg.

Helvetica, thanks~ When I visited Best Buy, I saw that the X850C also has HDR and Triluminos. I didn't see an X900 to compare. However, I just looked at the specs on Crotchfield--something like that?--and the two sets look very similar. The X850C is also around $500 less! Not sure why, but $500 is substantial. It's also lighter and uses less electricity (big whoop, I know). It also has a narrower stand, better suited for my Bell'O A/V center. Yep, I need my arms and legs, for sure...there's no other way for me to carry a new TV up 3 flights of stairs...

post #5496 of 5687 Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
Helvetica, thanks~ When I visited Best Buy, I saw that the X850C also has HDR and Triluminos. I didn't see an X900 to compare. However, I just looked at the specs on Crotchfield--something like that?--and the two sets look very similar. The X850C is also around $500 less! Not sure why, but $500 is substantial. It's also lighter and uses less electricity (big whoop, I know). It also has a narrower stand, better suited for my Bell'O A/V center. Yep, I need my arms and legs, for sure...there's no other way for me to carry a new TV up 3 flights of stairs...

donottosmeok, damn buddy it stinks to high heaven what your going through, especially with a tv like the W9. They, Sony, dont make them like the W9 anymore and I believe the closest your going to get to the W9 would be the XBR X900A and maybe the Samsung UE55JS8500. Rember the 4K X900A and the W9 were the only Sony sets that used Quontum Dot technology, after that Sony quit using the tech and went with their own in house Triluminous brand. Wise move? Thats debatable. Anyway Samsung now uses QD's so their tv's come close to matching the W9 as far as PQ goes. Honestly a replacement is going to be hard to find that meet your expectations, I know it would for me. The X850C is a good tv and for the money it maybe right up your alley. I'm just pissed Sony wont do anything for you but it dont surprise me really not with their recent track record and I doubt you will get anywhere with them. I just thank god for getting the 2 year extended warranty because if something should happen to mine Sony has to either fix it or replace it and trust me Sony isnt going to just give me any tv. They dont like me anymore and thats a long story as to why. But that all being said get a tv you will like and just dont settle for something because after what you went through you deserve more. The X850C? Check it out, study it and if you are happy with what you see then jump on it. Keep us up to date.
post #5497 of 5687 Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
have you seen the specific tcon board for our tv anywhere ? (there are so many models of these tcon boards for various tv models/brands that i havnt been able to identify the exact one needed for our tv model)
post #5498 of 5687 Old 12-02-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post
I do appreciate the advice regarding "fighting the system;" however, I feel pretty certain I would be fighting a losing battle, given the fact I didn't purchase any extended warranty, AND the set is almost a full 2 years old.
then at least look at the suggestion p0tsm0ke just made earlier about the tcon board replacement

the T-con board drives the panel, and from your description of symptoms it is not certain it is the panel itself . the tcon board (or power suppy) faults are more common with power on self-test /shut down failures . Panel failures usually show verticle or horizontal lines or partial illumination (sometime half screen or less), or sometimes a double image. the led back light driver board /main board fail can also cause a shutdown.

what would argue against this is that with sony the 5 red flashes indicate "an error for a bad lcd panel connection, or an internal lcd short". both would be an expensive fix for a technician to spend time to track down and repair. however the t-con board (or bad connection thereof) can also cause the same error.

doing a quick google for the 5 flashing red lights error on sony lcd tv's gives some good information on some of errors you might be able to fix yourself (like the Tcon board), and i wouldnt rely on the average technician being able to provide an accurate and final verdict on the cause just on a quick inspection. if the screen shot you included is from your tv, how come it still turns on with an image on screen if the screen is faulty ? (might not be your tv then) and the tcon errors show would increase that as a worthwhile try to replace if the board is inexpensive and easy to access

i have no idea on the price for these (might only be 50$ ?), but it wouldnt be to hard to replace this yourself. worth a try if you are giving up on your tv anyway (unless sony takes it back for an exchange, in which case dont open it up or it might possibly invalidate your return/exchange)
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Jorgens; 12-02-2015 at 10:13 PM.
post #5499 of 5687 Old 12-03-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have their W9's wall mounted or mounted on their HT setups?
post #5500 of 5687 Old 12-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Steve I dont, I have my W9 on a TV stand. Anyone have a center channel speaker on top of their W9.
I just bought this.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-ATS-11.../dp/B00T8U6GJW

I have a 3lbs center channel speaker thats a little too tall so Im going to try it on top of the TV.
The Shelf can hold up to 10lbs so I can't see it being a problem mounted on top of the W9.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5501 of 5687 Old 12-03-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Steve I dont, I have my W9 on a TV stand. Anyone have a center channel speaker on top of their W9.
I just bought this.
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-ATS-11.../dp/B00T8U6GJW

I have a 3lbs center channel speaker thats a little too tall so Im going to try it on top of the TV.
The Shelf can hold up to 10lbs so I can't see it being a problem mounted on top of the W9.

Thats pretty cool and a neat idea.
post #5502 of 5687 Old 12-03-2015, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I would also be a bit suspicious and I would explore if this is really a panel error. In my opnion it is worth to explore a bit more as the panel on the picture I see still works and shows OK picture. In my exerpeinces there can be sometimes also tiny small compenent that can be a cause e.g. capacitor in the power supply section. This costs from up to 1EUR max. But ok that sure needs some exploration at the official service of Sony. I would take that TV to official Sony repair service.
If TV is faulty then the only TVs that catch my interest are OLEDs. But currently their prices are still a bit high. OLED will also be my future upgrade when this Sony TV will either die or will be obsolete and I will like to have a new eye candy to toying with. Currently I'm also very satisfied with my Sony KDL-55W905A so I have no wish to replace with anything.

best, d.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5503 of 5687 Old 12-04-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post
I would also be a bit suspicious and I would explore if this is really a panel error. In my opnion it is worth to explore a bit more as the panel on the picture I see still works and shows OK picture. In my exerpeinces there can be sometimes also tiny small compenent that can be a cause e.g. capacitor in the power supply section. This costs from up to 1EUR max. But ok that sure needs some exploration at the official service of Sony. I would take that TV to official Sony repair service.
If TV is faulty then the only TVs that catch my interest are OLEDs. But currently their prices are still a bit high. OLED will also be my future upgrade when this Sony TV will either die or will be obsolete and I will like to have a new eye candy to toying with. Currently I'm also very satisfied with my Sony KDL-55W905A so I have no wish to replace with anything.

best, d.

I'm with you delfincek. I agree that I would explore more what the problem may be because the W9 is just to good a tv just to throw away. I saw in the pic to the panel is still showing a picture as well so it makes me question whether its a panel issue, I could be wrong but its something if I were the person to look into it more and if it means paying Sony to have someone come out and look at it then or take it to a certified Sony center and have them look at it. When it comes to OLED I'm also with you. I saw my first OLED tv up close and personal last night and WOW! It blew me away and for the first time I saw a tv that matches the W9 and dare I say beats it when it comes to PQ. And I never thought I would say that but I'm being honest. It's the tv that will eventually replace my W9 when it burns itself out and dies. But prices will have to come down and I want to wait and see if Sony gets into the OLED game which I believe they eventually will, they would be stupid not to! But great post buddy and I agree 100% with you.
post #5504 of 5687 Old 12-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
like said before the tech does not know anything more then what he is told on the phone for the service call. If they told him he needed to do this and that and blah blah he would have.
I looked up the model of the tv in ebay and found the tcon board
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-A191976...0AAOSwo6lWP8o8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-T-Con-1...UAAOSwFnFWCZuM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-KDL-55W...EAAOSwBadTol-s

as you can all see the model of the tcon board itself i :1-888-061-11 A-1919-762-A

Again this is just me talking and what i would do if my Tv was out of warranty and this problem came out. I would jump and grab anything up to $100 to fix it. in this case it might be a $30 fix.

I also think that its the TCON board itself because most every review i seen about a PANEL having lines on it and this and that once the TCON board was replace the PANEL was fine so how the hell could the panel be the issues. Again this is just something i would do. I my self do tech repairs soldering and anything i need to do so that project would not be hard at all. The killer it seems is opening the TV itself, and where the hell the TCON board is.

also did the tech reset the counter before he went back in to the service menu and you took that pic ?
u have to press I think 1 on the remote and it clears all the stats so when you re enter the service mode again it can show you the correct info.
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by p0tsm0ke; 12-07-2015 at 07:56 PM.
post #5505 of 5687 Old 12-08-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
like said before the tech does not know anything more then what he is told on the phone for the service call. If they told him he needed to do this and that and blah blah he would have.
I looked up the model of the tv in ebay and found the tcon board
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-A191976...0AAOSwo6lWP8o8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-T-Con-1...UAAOSwFnFWCZuM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-KDL-55W...EAAOSwBadTol-s

as you can all see the model of the tcon board itself i :1-888-061-11 A-1919-762-A

Again this is just me talking and what i would do if my Tv was out of warranty and this problem came out. I would jump and grab anything up to $100 to fix it. in this case it might be a $30 fix.

I also think that its the TCON board itself because most every review i seen about a PANEL having lines on it and this and that once the TCON board was replace the PANEL was fine so how the hell could the panel be the issues. Again this is just something i would do. I my self do tech repairs soldering and anything i need to do so that project would not be hard at all. The killer it seems is opening the TV itself, and where the hell the TCON board is.

also did the tech reset the counter before he went back in to the service menu and you took that pic ?
u have to press I think 1 on the remote and it clears all the stats so when you re enter the service mode again it can show you the correct info.

I'm with you. I would personally do anything I could to get the tv fixed because its to good a tv just to junk. They dont make em like our W9's anymore.
post #5506 of 5687 Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Just thought I would share two photos of my setup as of Dec 2015. All I have to do now is add a subwoofer and I am set for the forseeable future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_141901.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1131562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151209_152419.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1131570  
helvetica bold likes this.
post #5507 of 5687 Old 12-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Steve you have an Atmos set up? Just saw the Force Awakens in a Dolby Theater–AMAZING!
steve1971 likes this.
post #5508 of 5687 Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Steve you have an Atmos set up? Just saw the Force Awakens in a Dolby Theater–AMAZING!

helvetica bold, hell no I dont have an Atmos setup. Sure wish I did. That pic you saw was a screenshot I did while watching the Blu ray Insurgent! But if I had the cash I would have an Atmos setup for sure but right now its not in the budget. That being said though while watching Insurgent I have to say that the Audio, while not true Atmos, sounded beautiful and to me is sounded much better then normal DTS HD or Dolby True HD. Dolby Atmos is in my future more so then anything 4K thats for sure.
post #5509 of 5687 Old 12-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Turned on my 46W905A today and it has got a dead pixel. Particularly noticeably in the Battlefront menu with its predominantly white background.
post #5510 of 5687 Old 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How does it look like? Did you try to massage it out gently? Sometimes there is some stuck pixel and that method helps.

best, d.
post #5511 of 5687 Old 12-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's only one and thankfully it's up near the top left corner, so not in your main line of sight. Still annoying though.

I've tried massaging it, but it wasn't successful. I'll watch a video on how to do it properly and will try it again.
post #5512 of 5687 Old 12-24-2015, 04:00 PM

post #5513 of 5687 Old 12-28-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have my 55W900A on a Panamax power conditioner and surge protector along with the other components in my family room system. My main system in the basement (see my signature) has all components including a very large amp also going through a another Panamax unit. Here where I live, we get occasional spikes in voltage which I believe will shorten the life of the electronics.

Klipsch RF-7 II, RC64 II, RS62 II
Klipsch R-115SW & Velodyne FSR-15 SW
McIntosh MC205 Amplifier (200W plus X5)
McIntosh MX151 A/V Control Center
Sony KDL-60NX810 TV
OPPO BDP-93 Blu-Ray
post #5514 of 5687 Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblankster View Post
I have my 55W900A on a Panamax power conditioner and surge protector along with the other components in my family room system. My main system in the basement (see my signature) has all components including a very large amp also going through a another Panamax unit. Here where I live, we get occasional spikes in voltage which I believe will shorten the life of the electronics.

I have all my HT components hooked up to my Monster Power Conditioner and it blocks all the power surges we get which to be honest is very little.
post #5515 of 5687 Old 12-28-2015, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My Sony W900a purchased in July 2013 from Amazon has now started to give a little trouble. The last couple of weeks, the TV switches off by itself when watching. It is not frequent but has happened about 3 times in the last 2 weeks.
Has anyone experienced this? Any chance Sony warranty will cover this?
post #5516 of 5687 Old 12-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post
My Sony W900a purchased in July 2013 from Amazon has now started to give a little trouble. The last couple of weeks, the TV switches off by itself when watching. It is not frequent but has happened about 3 times in the last 2 weeks.
Has anyone experienced this? Any chance Sony warranty will cover this?
I also bought my W9 in (May) 2013. Sony won't cover it but did you get the SquareTrade extended warranty through Amazon? I bought the 5 year warranty and If you did the same you should be fine.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5517 of 5687 Old 12-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

I saw Star Wars Force Awakens in a Dolby Cinema and I was really impressed with Dolby Vision. Stunning picture–the contrast and colors are amazing. Im hoping Sony adopts this technology into their future TVs. Its really stunning stuff. The Dolby Atmos soundtrack was equally as good.
CES 2016 should be very interesting.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5518 of 5687 Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I also bought my W9 in (May) 2013. Sony won't cover it but did you get the SquareTrade extended warranty through Amazon? I bought the 5 year warranty and If you did the same you should be fine.
No extended warranty. I guess I will just have to donate it to Goodwill if it gets worse. Hopefully not.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5519 of 5687 Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

If it gets worse (fingers crossed it doesn't) you can always get an estimate from an authorized Sony repair service.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5520 of 5687 Old 12-29-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post
No extended warranty. I guess I will just have to donate it to Goodwill if it gets worse. Hopefully not.

If you have no warranty your in trouble. I bought mine in May of last year and got the the extended 2 year warranty from Sony just in case. Glad I did. Its up in May of 2016 and again I will get another extension because the W9 is just to damn good not to. I wont get rid of mine until it dies and is unfixable. Then its onto OLED which is my future tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread