Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 262Likes

post #5551 of 5615 Old 01-18-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
What do you guys have live color set to? I've had it off since I've owned he TV. But today I tried Plant vs Zombies 2 on the PS4. It's really vibrant. So I doncurious what the low setting would do. It really made a difference in punching the colors up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine set to off because I feel the W9 dont need it due to the colors are beautiful as it is. But set to low dont hurt. Looks good in fact. But again I have mine set to off cause I dont think my tv needs it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5615 Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Well no harm in asking...

Dear Mr Poye

Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding the specifications of your KDL-46W905A.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback and I will gladly pass your concern to the relevant department for future consideration and development.

*Please provide us with the serial number for registration on the case.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely,
Amr
Sony customer support
Sony Europe Limited
Email:
Phone: 0207 365 2810
Phone: VAIO out of warranty - 0905 031 0006 (35p/min plus network charges)
Phone: Ireland in warranty /out of warranty numbers: 01407 3040 / 1530 501002 (33 cent/min plus network charges)
Sony United Kingdom and Ireland, a division of Sony Europe Limited.
A company registered in England and Wales. Registered office:
The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW
Registered company number: 242287

__________________________________________________ ________

To
Cc:
Sent: 18/01/2016 00:04:07
Subject: Sony Support Email 13892056

Hi,

I currently have one of your Sony W905 TVs which was the original Quantom Dot capable TVs with a higher colour gamut. At the time of purchasing there was not much material which could take advantage of this, however with HDR and rec.2020 standard this is now changing. I appreciate that the tv will not support full rec.2020 however was wondering if there will be any future firmware update to allow the tv to "understand" this format and take advantage of it with its current capabilities.

Both the w905/w900 and x900 TVs still have what I believe to be Sony's best image quality and given that the tv shares a lot of similar components to the x900, I was wondering if this was going to be possible.

Many thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,
Vik
steve1971 and MarkNZL like this.
post #5553 of 5615 Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikash Poye View Post
Well no harm in asking...

Dear Mr Poye

Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding the specifications of your KDL-46W905A.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback and I will gladly pass your concern to the relevant department for future consideration and development.

*Please provide us with the serial number for registration on the case.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely,
Amr
Sony customer support
Sony Europe Limited
Email:
Phone: 0207 365 2810
Phone: VAIO out of warranty - 0905 031 0006 (35p/min plus network charges)
Phone: Ireland in warranty /out of warranty numbers: 01407 3040 / 1530 501002 (33 cent/min plus network charges)
Sony United Kingdom and Ireland, a division of Sony Europe Limited.
A company registered in England and Wales. Registered office:
The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW
Registered company number: 242287

__________________________________________________ ________

To
Cc:
Sent: 18/01/2016 00:04:07
Subject: Sony Support Email 13892056

Hi,

I currently have one of your Sony W905 TVs which was the original Quantom Dot capable TVs with a higher colour gamut. At the time of purchasing there was not much material which could take advantage of this, however with HDR and rec.2020 standard this is now changing. I appreciate that the tv will not support full rec.2020 however was wondering if there will be any future firmware update to allow the tv to "understand" this format and take advantage of it with its current capabilities.

Both the w905/w900 and x900 TVs still have what I believe to be Sony's best image quality and given that the tv shares a lot of similar components to the x900, I was wondering if this was going to be possible.

Many thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,
Vik

Cool and keep me posted if you get a response. You gave me an idea for asking Sony Support USA the very same thing you asked.
post #5554 of 5615 Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've asked my crystal ball, and it answered "no, no way". Not only that Sony wouldn't care for a discontinued 2-years-old TV model to suddenly support kinds of signals that 2 years ago noone wouldn't have thought of. The technical point is that the general ways of signal processing are carved-in-stone in the hardware of the signal processing chips, and you can't change hardware things through a firmware update.
post #5555 of 5615 Old 01-20-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post
I've asked my crystal ball, and it answered "no, no way". Not only that Sony wouldn't care for a discontinued 2-years-old TV model to suddenly support kinds of signals that 2 years ago noone wouldn't have thought of. The technical point is that the general ways of signal processing are carved-in-stone in the hardware of the signal processing chips, and you can't change hardware things through a firmware update.

Never say never Didee. And second they must still care about a 2 year old tv due to the fact that they just extended my warranty another 3 years.
post #5556 of 5615 Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Never say never Didee. And second they must still care about a 2 year old tv due to the fact that they just extended my warranty another 3 years.
Since there was no material available with wide color gamut at the time this TV was released, and also the fact that they were not planning to update the TV to read the newer signals with wide gamut (or the likely fact that this is not possible anyway) one has to wonder what the point was in putting quantum dots in this TV anyway?

That said, somehow I feel this TV produces much more pleasing and wide color than most TVs even in 2015 did. Is it possible to benefit from the QD technology in this TV even though it's not able to read a wide gamut signal?
helvetica bold likes this.
post #5557 of 5615 Old 01-20-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Agreed it's most likely not possible, especially given that only the 2015 TVs will be receiving a HDR firmware upgrade.

I'm not going to hold my breath on this, but it would be great to squeeze out even more from these sets if possible.
post #5558 of 5615 Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBNova View Post
Since there was no material available with wide color gamut at the time this TV was released, and also the fact that they were not planning to update the TV to read the newer signals with wide gamut (or the likely fact that this is not possible anyway) one has to wonder what the point was in putting quantum dots in this TV anyway?

That said, somehow I feel this TV produces much more pleasing and wide color than most TVs even in 2015 did. Is it possible to benefit from the QD technology in this TV even though it's not able to read a wide gamut signal?
I agree that our W9's still match the 2015 tv's as far as pq is concerned and I believe they will also match the 2016 tv's in some aspects save for the new HDR tech which to be honest I can live without. Sony used to have the "Mastered In 4k" Blu ray disc's that coud take advantage of the QD tech used in the W9's but I dont know if they are still avalible. You can still get em on Ebay and I believe some BB stores still carry them.

Quote:
Agreed it's most likely not possible, especially given that only the 2015 TVs will be receiving a HDR firmware upgrade.

I'm not going to hold my breath on this, but it would be great to squeeze out even more from these sets if possible.

Our W9 sets may not be able to take advantage of HDR but they may be able to take advantage of the Rec.2020 thats coming out with the new 4K Blu ray disc's. I say "May" because we know that also may not be possible but who knows? But I do doubt it will happen cause Sony wants us to buy new tv's for these new features which for now I refuse to do. As long as my W9 keeps ticking I aint going with another new tv so Sony may be waiting for me to upgrade for quite awhile.
post #5559 of 5615 Old 01-21-2016, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I agree that our W9's still match the 2015 tv's as far as pq is concerned and I believe they will also match the 2016 tv's in some aspects save for the new HDR tech which to be honest I can live without. Sony used to have the "Mastered In 4k" Blu ray disc's that coud take advantage of the QD tech used in the W9's but I dont know if they are still avalible. You can still get em on Ebay and I believe some BB stores still carry them.

Our W9 sets may not be able to take advantage of HDR but they may be able to take advantage of the Rec.2020 thats coming out with the new 4K Blu ray disc's. I say "May" because we know that also may not be possible but who knows? But I do doubt it will happen cause Sony wants us to buy new tv's for these new features which for now I refuse to do. As long as my W9 keeps ticking I aint going with another new tv so Sony may be waiting for me to upgrade for quite awhile.
Careful, they could theoretically send out a firmware update that would break the TVs so we would have to buy a new one. ;-)
steve1971 likes this.
post #5560 of 5615 Old 01-21-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBNova View Post
Careful, they could theoretically send out a firmware update that would break the TVs so we would have to buy a new one. ;-)

LOL.........So true GBNova. Dont put it past Sony cause god only knows I've seen it happen before where a firmware update has ruined a tv. In fact it happened to me a couple of years back where Sony sent out a firmware update and it ruined all of my HDMI ports. They had to come out and replace em all.
post #5561 of 5615 Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

This was the response I got from Sony after asking them about if our W9's could handle or come close to the Rec.2020 gamut and HDR. Mind you I said nothing to them about HDR due to I already knew our tv's wouldnt do HDR....but here's Sony's response.

"Hi Steve,
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

HDR technology is currently available for Sony 4k android TV's, please check the link below for more details:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63061

You can also visit esupport.sony.com for product updates and information.
Hope this helps. Should you have any further concerns, please feel free to call us:
Hotline: (800) 222-7669
Business Hours: Mon – Fri, 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM ET (Midnight) and Sat – Sun, 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET.
We look forward to your continuous support to Sony products.
Regards,
Anthony
Sony Social Support"

I asked NOTHING about HDR but what do they try doing? Sending me to a page that has nothing to do with my tv and as you can see they said NOTHING about if my tv could "maybe" come close to using the Rec.2020 standard. I asked a simple question and I got this response. It seems to me they didnt even bother reading my email and just blew me off. Well I guess I have to call them to get a straight answer and I will do that today.
post #5562 of 5615 Old 01-23-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
This was the response I got from Sony after asking them about if our W9's could handle or come close to the Rec.2020 gamut and HDR. Mind you I said nothing to them about HDR due to I already knew our tv's wouldnt do HDR....but here's Sony's response.

"Hi Steve,
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

HDR technology is currently available for Sony 4k android TV's, please check the link below for more details:

You can also visit esupport.sony.com for product updates and information.
Hope this helps. Should you have any further concerns, please feel free to call us:
Hotline: (800) 222-7669
Business Hours: Mon – Fri, 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM ET (Midnight) and Sat – Sun, 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET.
We look forward to your continuous support to Sony products.
Regards,
Anthony
Sony Social Support"

I asked NOTHING about HDR but what do they try doing? Sending me to a page that has nothing to do with my tv and as you can see they said NOTHING about if my tv could "maybe" come close to using the Rec.2020 standard. I asked a simple question and I got this response. It seems to me they didnt even bother reading my email and just blew me off. Well I guess I have to call them to get a straight answer and I will do that today.
Yes sounds like their first line support side stepped the question. Let us know how the follow up call goes.
post #5563 of 5615 Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes sounds like their first line support side stepped the question. Let us know how the follow up call goes.

Yea they side stepped the question for sure. I did do the follow up call to Sony tech and all the rep did was babble about the benefits of 4K and HDR and I told her that I wasnt intertested in either tech and all I wanted was an answer to my email or question which surprise surprise she didnt have an answer for. Bottom line is Sony dont want to hear about anything other then what their new sets can do. They could give a crap about what their older sets can still do or are capable of and that includes last years sets. They have moved on but we will still get firmware updates as needed she says. I also inquired as to why they are NOT releaseing a 4K Blu ray player this year and again I got endless babble about the benefits of streaming. I ended the call with this "Rep" by telling her in no certain words that I have no plans on buying a 4K tv now no matter how many features the tv has which by the way 95% of those features are a waste and that will never be used by me. Hell I NEVER use any of the apps that are on my tv as it is. Streaming ect goes through my Blu ray player. Sony has become a clueless company as is evidenced by their so called reps that answer their phones. They sell and push 4K tech and yet they are not coming out with a 4K Blu ray player when everyone else is? Then they cant even answer a simple question or reply to an email because they dont have an answer? Or dont want to answer that question period because it dont apply to HDR or 4K? What a joke and I can see why they are in the shape they are in. My W900A may just be my last Sony tv. Because when or if I ever do go 4K it wont be a tv by Sony.
MarkNZL likes this.
post #5564 of 5615 Old 01-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 128
First the new UHD BluRay can contain Rec.2020. However most of the new discs will support up to P3 cinema color space. The W9 can handle 94% of that color space. The issue is we only have HDMI 1.4b or maybe 2.0 but it won't be able to read that P3 metadata. Ive kinda given up hope that we can take advantage of UHD Bluray.
Sadly we will never get to see what the W9 can really do. I think the closest is playing PS4 or Xbox One in 1080p 4:4:4, 12bit deep color. The look amazing on it.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5565 of 5615 Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First the new UHD BluRay can contain Rec.2020. However most of the new discs will support up to P3 cinema color space. The W9 can handle 94% of that color space. The issue is we only have HDMI 1.4b or maybe 2.0 but it won't be able to read that P3 metadata. Ive kinda given up hope that we can take advantage of UHD Bluray.
Sadly we will never get to see what the W9 can really do. I think the closest is playing PS4 or Xbox One in 1080p 4:4:4, 12bit deep color. The look amazing on it.

helvetica bold, thats the thing that really bother's me. In May I will have had my tv for 2 years and have yet to be able to take advantage of everything my tv is capable of doing. And Sony could give a **** less and there I said it! I'm going to say this and thats that after I pickup a subwoofer when my taxes arrive this month I'm done and the only thing I will be buying is Blu ray movies. My HT setup will be complete and as I said a million times before and that is as long as my W9 keeps ticking I am riding it until it dies because I still feel that the W9 is the best tv that was made by Sony and is still the best today HDR and 4K be damned. That all being said with the last firmware update our tv's are now HDMI 2.0 capable.
post #5566 of 5615 Old 01-31-2016, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HI,

Having moved house my Sony KDL-905A is no longer on the wall and while I have found the chrome stand I can't find the 'pole' like attachment and screws which attach the TV to the stand. It's now precariously leaning against a wall!

Does anyone know where I might source this spare part? Sony's support site doesn't seem to be able to help and nor will a generic stand.

Thanks for any help!
post #5567 of 5615 Old 01-31-2016, 05:19 AM

Liked: 0
HI,

Having moved house my Sony KDL-905A is no longer on the wall and while I have found the chrome stand I can't find the 'pole' like attachment and screws which attach the TV to the stand. It's now precariously leaning against a wall!

Does anyone know where I might source this spare part? Sony's support site doesn't seem to be able to help and nor will a generic stand.

Thanks for any help!
post #5568 of 5615 Old 01-31-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The screws wouldn't be a problem, but if you miss a mechanical part part of the stand's attachment, that is. Tried to phone to Sony? Sometimes personal speech is much more fruitful than filling out an online form. Next on, there is ebay & Co. ...

If all else fails, you can use almost *any* kind of generic stand that uses VESA mounting. It's like wall mounting, just with a stand instead of the wall.
steve1971 and ballyculter like this.
post #5569 of 5615 Old 02-01-2016, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The screws wouldn't be a problem, but if you miss a mechanical part part of the stand's attachment, that is. Tried to phone to Sony? Sometimes personal speech is much more fruitful than filling out an online form. Next on, there is ebay & Co. ...

If all else fails, you can use almost *any* kind of generic stand that uses VESA mounting. It's like wall mounting, just with a stand instead of the wall.
Didee has a good point. Check out Ergotron. They have really good customer support, and maybe you can use the deskmount to attach to your tv stand? My second monitor is much lighter though, so not sure which one would work for such a large tv.
post #5570 of 5615 Old 02-01-2016, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyculter View Post
HI,

Thanks for any help!
Hi,
If you still have a box of the tv I bet it is there . But yes I found an offer for this stand on E-bay. Also try to put "444924111 Sony" in google and you will find the part you search for. One example: please click
best, d.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5571 of 5615 Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM

Liked: 10
Can ya'll try my ps4 gaming settings and let me know?Backlight Max
Picture Max
Brightness 50
Color 56
Hue 0
Color temp Neutral
Sharpness 50
Reality creation Off
Smooth gradation Off
Motionflow 0ff
All advanced settings off. Gamma is set to 0.
My PS4 and TV RGB settings are set to Auto.
*If yall find the backlight corners too bright, just add LED Dynamic Control set to Low, and lower gamma to -1*
post #5572 of 5615 Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Is anyone having trouble accessing Netflix or YouTube? I can't get it to work on my W9. Never had a problem until now.
post #5573 of 5615 Old 02-13-2016, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Working here, I just tried it. Maybe just a temporary newtwork glitch?
best, d.
post #5574 of 5615 Old 02-13-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Netflix and Youtube are working just fine on my W9. I dont use them on my tv. I watch them on my Blu ray player. But I noticed that the Crackle app on my Blu ray player dont work!
post #5575 of 5615 Old 02-14-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Added another new piece of equipment to my HT rack. The Monster Power HTS 1650. Needed better protection for my HT equipment and this fits the bill nicely. That all being said watched The Perfect Storm, Disney's Wonderland and The Fast And The Furious on Blu last night and all I can say is damn I love my W9. Perfect PQ all around. When the day does come its gonna be hard parting with it and I hope that dont happen for a long long time. People can have 4K and HDR ect I will stay right with what I have until it burns itself out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02301.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1252297  
helvetica bold likes this.
post #5576 of 5615 Old 02-16-2016, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thumbs down

Dont buy any type of service plan From Sony. Sony does not want to renew my service plan that i purchased in feb 2015. They told me once my plan expires in 10 days they will not support my w900a because they do not make tv anymore.
post #5577 of 5615 Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
Dont buy any type of service plan From Sony. Sony does not want to renew my service plan that i purchased in feb 2015. They told me once my plan expires in 10 days they will not support my w900a because they do not make tv anymore.

That's strange because they called me just today asking if I was renewing my warranty in May. I said yes and they said they look forward to it and thanked me for being a loyal customer. So I am renewing my warranty in May.
post #5578 of 5615 Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Is anyone having trouble accessing Netflix or YouTube? I can't get it to work on my W9. Never had a problem until now.
Yes i got problems too with my W905a . I have to start Netflix 2 or 3 Times till it works. I hade never trouble until i flash the latest Firmware on the TV.
post #5579 of 5615 Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhson View Post
Yes i got problems too with my W905a . I have to start Netflix 2 or 3 Times till it works. I hade never trouble until i flash the latest Firmware on the TV.
Strange. Last night I had no issues with Netflix or Youtube on my W900A and my firmware is up to date.
post #5580 of 5615 Old 03-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread

Hello fellow w9 owners. I know we don't have much to talk about these days. However, yesterday I saw Sonys new 930D at Best Buy and it reminded me the first time I saw the W9 in person. The PQ is very impressive with vivid colors and amazing contrast due to the HDR footage on display. While I'm not upgrading this year (most likely next year) I am excited to see the new technology mature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
steve1971 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page