Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4915 Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Get yourself a calibration disc.

You could use something like the free one AVS members created called AVS HD 709 or you could purchase what many members consider the best calibration disc for home users, Disney WOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4915 Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez1 View Post

Looking for setup help with W900A

I tried the CNET recommended settings and NG.

Factory settings are also not great.

Can't seem to get rid of the orange look on faces, movie channels do not really have decent color and contrast.

I'm connected to HDM1/ARC port with same HDMI cable I used on the HX850 which was great in both color and sharpness.

Going directly from cable box to TV

Should I be trying another HDMI port and start all over.

Can't get Geek Squad to calibrate until set has played for about 100 hours.

Catch-22 since I have only 15 days before I return set.

I waited so long for this set and right now very disappointed

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Stevez1

Disney WOW is good. What picture setting do you have it on that's giving orange faces? Standard is usually the best, IMO.
post #543 of 4915 Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Liked: 14
Disney WOW is ok, but Spears and Munsil is the more professional choice.
post #544 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez1 View Post

Thanks

It took me a few weeks to get the HX850 to where almost every channel was really sharp, that included non HD channels such as Encore etc.

Will start playing around tonight.

Also seems like speakers aren't any better than the HX850.

Will have to connect sound bar again, was hoping to due without it.

Hope I'm not disappointed, waited a long time for this set.

Would have gotten the X900 but too big with those speakers on the side, 900A just fits on the wall.

Stevez1

Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of getting better audio from your system? To me sound bar would seem like a no brainer...
Too many people out there are just concerned with a good picture when you're audio is actually just as important if not more.
Just my opinion of coarse. smile.gif
post #545 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Just an FYI, buy.com is now posting the tv for $2113
Not too shabby!
post #546 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvic View Post

Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of getting better audio from your system? To me sound bar would seem like a no brainer...
Too many people out there are just concerned with a good picture when you're audio is actually just as important if not more.
Just my opinion of coarse. smile.gif

Good grief, that's just silly. Audio is in no way more important than video. I can enjoy a movie that looks great but with truly crappy sound. NO ONE can enjoy a movie with stellar sound but with truly crappy video. Sound is never more important than visuals. Deaf vs. blind? You can have whole sections of movie with no sound at all that convey a lot. You rarely ever have sections of movie totally blank but with sound.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #547 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just an FYI, buy.com is now posting the tv for $2113
Not too shabby!

I dug through the rakuten.com (formerly buy.com) website looking for the return policy on TVs and found nothing specific, but only vague mentions of you having to find out if you qualify for a free shipping return label, or if you even qualify for an RMA at all.

Many vendors whose policies I've dug through have clauses regarding TVs greater than 37" being unreturnable and must be warranty items with the manufacturer. You might be stuck having to deal with Sony. And if you DO get an RMA from them, it's entirely unclear as to whether or not they pay return shipping on the TV or you do. That's a lot of money.

If it's not spelled out, avoid.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #548 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I dug through the rakuten.com (formerly buy.com) website looking for the return policy on TVs and found nothing specific, but only vague mentions of you having to find out if you qualify for a free shipping return label, or if you even qualify for an RMA at all.

Many vendors whose policies I've dug through have clauses regarding TVs greater than 37" being unreturnable and must be warranty items with the manufacturer. You might be stuck having to deal with Sony. And if you DO get an RMA from them, it's entirely unclear as to whether or not they pay return shipping on the TV or you do. That's a lot of money.

That's why you get Amazon or Best Buy to price match. smile.gif
post #549 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^To me a halfway decent audio system makes the difference between watching tv and having a home theater experience. That's not to say that sound is more important than picture, just that a balance of the two is important to maximizing the experience.

A $5000 audio system is a waste with a 32" Insignia, of course, but a modest sub-$1000 audio setup with a nice tv adds a lot to the experience compared to the typical tv speakers alone. Try it, you might like it.

Steve S.
post #550 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^To me a halfway decent audio system makes the difference between watching tv and having a home theater experience. That's not to say that sound is more important than picture, just that a balance of the two is important to maximizing the experience.

A $5000 audio system is a waste with a 32" Insignia, of course, but a modest sub-$1000 audio setup with a nice tv adds a lot to the experience compared to the typical tv speakers alone. Try it, you might like it.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that having sound that works well makes a big difference. (Beyond 2.1 though: we have an interesting debate. smile.gif) I use my receiver for 2.1: L/R/Sub.

But to say that audio is just as important if not more so than video is crazy.

post #551 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 AM

As soon as this tv showed up at Best Buy for $2300 I felt compelled to buy. It's only been out of the box for 12 hours, but my first impressions are good. It's replacing a nearly seven year old Sony SXRD 55A2000 so just about anything is an upgrade. The PQ has been impressive to me so far. If you go looking there are some white screen uniformity issues on the edges of the tv, but barely noticeable. I tried the cnet settings and wasn't impressed. I started mixing the cnet settings with some other recommendations I picked up from some magazine reviews.

It's going to take some time to play with these settings and get it right. The biggest problem I'm having is getting the blacks to not be so crushing as to kill off the detail. To me nothing is a more glaring PQ issue than seeing black areas totally black where I know there should be some detail. I'm not sure how to do this. I'll probably hunt down a calibration disc and give it a shot, but I'm not terribly confident in my calibration skills. I'd appreciate any calibration advice/experience anyone has.

Thanks
post #552 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I mainly mentioned it for people looking to use it to price match when purchasing from places like Best Buy.
post #553 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that having sound that works well makes a big difference. (Beyond 2.1 though: we have an interesting debate. smile.gif) I use my receiver for 2.1: L/R/Sub.

I get your point about video being more important than sound but when someone actually takes the time to invest in a 5.1/7.1 system the sound is just as important to them. Good/great sound really makes the movie.
post #554 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Try listening to someone with a good sound system when watching a movie such as the new star trek or something else and you'll find that having that good sound system makes the movie much more immersive.
I'm not saying that you have to spend $$$ on a sound system, but even something like a sound bar just helps over the plain old tv speakers.
Now if this is for something other than your main tv, such as a bedroom or kids room, then yes, probably not as important.
post #555 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I get your point about video being more important than sound but when someone actually takes the time to invest in a 5.1/7.1 system the sound is just as important to them. Good/great sound really makes the movie.

I believe sound is about equal of importance as video, but then again sometimes you actually have to be able to experience it to better judge it. Obviously if you've never owned anything better than the actual tv speakers, you don't really think you're missing much.

And yes, good/great sound really does make the movie. In my opinion. smile.gif
post #556 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
I bought the 46W905 recently and I have some banding across all the panel. It's visible and annoying during gaming when you're moving the camera around the character for example or when watching football. Have you also noticed this issue or your panel is free from it? I would like to know if it worth a panel replacement or if all of them are affected...
post #557 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I believe sound is about equal of importance as video

I think you're starting from an assumed place (passable video + passable audio) and then extrapolating from that what's more important to improve.

This has nothing to do with what's more important. Given the starting point (passable video + passable audio) you're being swayed by the increment. If instead you were to start from 0+0 (no video, no audio), then video is the FIRST thing you want to add, conveys the most of the story, and is the more important of the two.

post #558 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Call me crazy, but is it possible that the remote (or any remote) is freaking out? Is it in the room?

It's a remote chance I know. smile.gif

That also struck my mind actually and I definitely wouldn't rule it out :-)
I have a Logitech Harmony to control all my devices so I guess it could have gone a bit loopy for a while.

No recurrence of the issue since Saturday night so fingers crossed.
post #559 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I think you're starting from an assumed place (passable video + passable audio) and then extrapolating from that what's more important to improve.

This has nothing to do with what's more important. Given the starting point (passable video + passable audio) you're being swayed by the increment. If instead you were to start from 0+0 (no video, no audio), then video is the FIRST thing you want to add, conveys the most of the story, and is the more important of the two.

Obviously you're going to have some form of video as well as audio. And i'm not simply stating which one is "more" important as much as the fact that good audio can be "just as" important. Or if you'd like, 50% video, 50% audio
But those percentages are going to change depending on what you are used to or have experienced.
post #560 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Liked: 15
Lets get back on topic which is the W900. Few more days until it arrives!
post #561 of 4915 Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Liked: 12
Went into the Sony Store today at my mall and the manager didn't know whether the hometheater.com review was accurate regarding the 5.1 signal out.

He mentioned since it referred to HDMI out he didn't think it would affect the obsticle and be a problem however is checking into it. No word back yet.

I did however get to see the set for the first time today and WOW. What a great picture. Set looks to be of good quality and the Triluminos technology definitely improves color. If the 5.1 out comes out to be incorrect I'll be buying the set. He will match the 2100 dollar price from buy.com and give me a steal of a deal on the extended warranty.

I ope this 5.1 dolby digital signal loss issue comes out to be wrong.
post #562 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 AM

I own this tv and took this picture from the i-manual.
Tarheel1400 likes this.
post #563 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 06:23 AM

I've had the TV for over a week and I'm still amazed by the picture. Also, yesterday ABT (Glenview IL) credited my account for the recent price reduction (30 day price protection). Very pleased with the TV and the service from ABT, FYI - They also posted my review of the TV on their website.
post #564 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedgas View Post

I own this tv and took this picture from the i-manual.

Thanks for the pic.

Given this statement It has to push out DD from the optical huh?

I wonder if they are just referring to an hdmi out.
post #565 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Any gamers out there who own a copy of Halo 4 do yourself a favor and try it. It really shows off the rich contrast, deep backs and vivid colors on the W9.
Im using Game:Original with Live Color off and it still really pops!

Question:
Are there any good patterns to test for black crush? I have my Xbox set to RGB: expanded, it looks amazing but Im worried it might
be crushing a little.

interesting note:
I noticed on the PS3, the TV reads 12 bit when you hit the display button. When playing the 360, it doesnt. Is 12 bit any form of deep color?
post #566 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

Thanks for the pic.

Given this statement It has to push out DD from the optical huh?

I wonder if they are just referring to an hdmi out.

DD via optical out is supported. Pull the trigger.
Tarheel1400 likes this.
post #567 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM

Here is the HDMI audio output screen in the i-manual. It doesn't mention DD or multi-channel like the optical screen did. I'm not sure what to think about that.
post #568 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedgas View Post

Here is the HDMI audio output screen in the i-manual. It doesn't mention DD or multi-channel like the optical screen did. I'm not sure what to think about that.

It's past my knowledge for sure.

I wonder if it means It's only 5.1 compatible out the optical and not the hdmi.
post #569 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 PM

So I got this TV as a replacement for my 46HX850 that's been repeatedly crapping out on the right side of the screen (vertical bands).
Basically went through hell with Sony destroying 3 TV's trying to get me replacements so I fought and ended up with this as my replacement.

So far I love it. But here's a question regarding the 3D on it.

I know the TV has simulview which works on a handful of games (and works well). However, the competitions "dual play" doesn't work.

Dual play basically produces a top-bottom 3D image and works with passive 3D tv's with Left-Left glasses for one player and Right-Right for the other.

On this TV, enabling Dual Play mode in a game doesn't work properly. Basically the left eye see's one player and the right another.

So my question is this: Is there any way to force active 3D to let one pair of glasses see just one image and another set of glasses see another?

From a technological standpoint it's completely possible with active 3D to emulate this passive feature and I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with it or found a workaround.
post #570 of 4915 Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Today I ran pixel checker from my laptop and I found stuck red pixel on my w905a. I tried press my finger on this point but didn't help. I tried to use JScreenFix but I can not run this program tried some dead pixel test on youtube. Maybe I should just replace tv for new one. Any ideas guys???
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page