Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 291Likes
post #5671 of 5696 Unread 07-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Sony has a new line ultra 4K TV coming out later this year! I guess the 940D isn't the flagship.

Looks impressive, still no mention of Dolby Vision tho.
http://www.sony.com/electronics/tele...xbr-z9d-series
Jorgens likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5696 Unread 07-21-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Sony has a new line ultra 4K TV coming out later this year! I guess the 940D isn't the flagship.

Impressive indeed but for the price they can keep it. And again Dolby Vision looks like its being left out. No thanks I'll pass.
post #5673 of 5696 Unread 07-21-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

The trickle down implications are quite promising IMHO. I suspected that LCD would continue to evolve when everyone not named LG abandoned large screen OLED. I'm going to wait for 2017 or 18 for a more affordable upgrade. I would like a minimum of 75".
steve1971 likes this.
post #5674 of 5696 Unread 07-22-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The trickle down implications are quite promising IMHO. I suspected that LCD would continue to evolve when everyone not named LG abandoned large screen OLED. I'm going to wait for 2017 or 18 for a more affordable upgrade. I would like a minimum of 75".
I'm looking at 2 years tops before I even think of replacing my W900A. Back in May of 2014 I paid a little over 2 grand for my tv and I dont have the kind of money right now to pay what Sony is asking for the Z9. But it is a nice tv for sure with all the bells and whistles you could ask for. But like I said I am gonna wait for at least 2 years to see where the tech is at and then I will make the jump but to be honest by then I hopefully will be in my own home and the wife and I will go projection or get a 65 or 75 inch tv because anything smaller is a waste for 4K viewing IMHO. Right now I'm happy where I am at audio and video wise And if I do make any changes it will be Dolby Atmos.
post #5675 of 5696 Unread 08-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Apparently this device (see link) will allow us to take advantage of the WCG and high bit rate of UHD Blurays. I asked a company rep on a forum here and he said that's what's it's built to do. So perhaps this will unlock the true potential of our W9? I'm not ready to upgrade to 4K just yet but this could the extend the life of our W9. I thought I'd pass this along.

https://www.hdfury.com/shop/videopro...60-444-600mhz/
steve1971 likes this.
post #5676 of 5696 Unread 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Apparently this device (see link) will allow us to take advantage of the WCG and high bit rate of UHD Blurays. I asked a company rep on a forum here and he said that's what's it's built to do. So perhaps this will unlock the true potential of our W9? I'm not ready to upgrade to 4K just yet but this could the extend the life of our W9. I thought I'd pass this along.

With or without it my W9 aint going anywhere but if this little gaget can bring out even more potential out of my W9 I'm all for it and this is on my radar. Thanks for post helvetica.
post #5677 of 5696 Unread 08-08-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

We have been watching the Olympic's from Rio and man how beautiful the games look on my W9, my wife cant stop commenting about it. Didnt have my W9 4 years ago when the Olympics came from London so this is a whole new experience and it's been a memorable one for sure. 2 1/2 years of owning the W9 and the tv still amazes me and is the sole reason why I havent gone the 4K route and more then likely wont until the set burns itself out.
post #5678 of 5696 Unread 08-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
We have been watching the Olympic's from Rio and man how beautiful the games look on my W9, my wife cant stop commenting about it. Didnt have my W9 4 years ago when the Olympics came from London so this is a whole new experience and it's been a memorable one for sure. 2 1/2 years of owning the W9 and the tv still amazes me and is the sole reason why I havent gone the 4K route and more then likely wont until the set burns itself out.
I understand, I still have my Sony Bravia XBR8 Triluminos and the colors you have I still love like his image .
steve1971 likes this.
post #5679 of 5696 Unread 08-12-2016, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

So how can i make sure to play ps4 game with the wide colour gamut?

My ps4 settings are as follows:

RGB range: Full
Deep colour outpuy: Full

Tv display settings:

Dynamic range: Auto
X.v. colour (or something like this): Auto

Thanks in advance.
post #5680 of 5696 Unread 08-12-2016, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboss83 View Post
Hi,

So how can i make sure to play ps4 game with the wide colour gamut?

My ps4 settings are as follows:

RGB range: Full
Deep colour outpuy: Full

Tv display settings:

Dynamic range: Auto
X.v. colour (or something like this): Auto

Thanks in advance.
Your settings are correct Bigboss.
You should see "12 bit" popup when you first boot up the PS4. PS4 games are still in the Rec 709 color space so its not really WCG but the PS4 does output at a hight bitrate.
steve1971 and Bigboss83 like this.
post #5681 of 5696 Unread 08-15-2016, 01:57 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Your settings are correct Bigboss.
You should see "12 bit" popup when you first boot up the PS4. PS4 games are still in the Rec 709 color space so its not really WCG but the PS4 does output at a hight bitrate.
Thanks!

I have the same settings while watching movies.

If anyone knows when we can use the wide colour from an Ultra blu ray player with UHD movie on this tv, then i'm all ears. I read something about this. If you have an Ultra hd blu ray player and play a UHD film on this tv, then the downscaled version is better then a normal blu ray movie (something about 4:4:4 colour?). The bitrate is also higher then regular blu ray and we will also get the wide colour gamut oe something. Too bad the panasonic blu ray player is so expensive.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5682 of 5696 Unread 08-15-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

If anyone knows when we can use the wide colour from an Ultra blu ray player with UHD movie on this tv, then i'm all ears. I read something about this. If you have an Ultra hd blu ray player and play a UHD film on this tv, then the downscaled version is better then a normal blu ray movie (something about 4:4:4 colour?). The bitrate is also higher then regular blu ray and we will also get the wide colour gamut oe something. Too bad the panasonic blu ray player is so expensive.

I heard the same thing Bigboss. The UHD video will be downscaled which is obvious but the W9 should be able to take advantage of the wider color gamut but without a UHD Blu ray player I cant say that for sure. I also agree with you about the Panasonic UHD Player because from what I have read and heard it's really nice but the price is whats holding me back. But I'm going to jump on it when I have the fund's because I want to see just what it can do when hooked up to my W9 and if I see any noticeable difference. I could get the Samsung UHD player but I dont trust Samsung players.
post #5683 of 5696 Unread 08-15-2016, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I heard the same thing Bigboss. The UHD video will be downscaled which is obvious but the W9 should be able to take advantage of the wider color gamut but without a UHD Blu ray player I cant say that for sure. I also agree with you about the Panasonic UHD Player because from what I have read and heard it's really nice but the price is whats holding me back. But I'm going to jump on it when I have the fund's because I want to see just what it can do when hooked up to my W9 and if I see any noticeable difference. I could get the Samsung UHD player but I dont trust Samsung players.
Quote:
Thanks!

As i posted before : ) this should do the trick. Look for the thread HD Fury Linker in AVS. A company Rep posts regularly.
He said its intended for what you describe.

steve1971 and Bigboss83 like this.
post #5684 of 5696 Unread 08-16-2016, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As i posted before : ) this should do the trick. Look for the thread HD Fury Linker in AVS. A company Rep posts regularly.

This is something I have been looking into as well helvetica. This and the new Panasonic 4K Blu ray player. I look at it this way. The W9 has alot of untapped potential and if either the HD Fury Linker or the Panasonic 4K Blu ray player can unlock its true potential I'm all for it. Either one would be a big help I'm sure.
post #5685 of 5696 Unread 08-17-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
it might still be a little premature to jump in, but your earlier tip to have a look at their devices was very usefull, from what i have seen so far they are the closest to implementing what we are after to be able to use the x.v.Color feature

after looking further into what i postulated a few weeks ago in this thread, about our 900a's being able to benefit from some of the elements of the higher video quality found on the new 4k bluray discs ( Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread ) , this concept largely seems to be confirmed now from the further reading i have done

from what i can make out there are several variables involved however for this to work, and it is important not to mix up some of the concepts or have unreasonable expectations by oversimplifying it. another problem is that not all technical/equipment elements involved are fully available yet (for ex no HTPC hardware 4k bluray players yet afaik), so those jumping in to early for standalone 4k players (or fury devices) might make expensive purchases they could regret later.

without rehashing all the detail again, the main elements are

1) most HD bluray discs (using YUV 4.2.0 @ 8 bit) were never mastered to fully utilize the max video quality that is technically possible under the HD 1080 video standard ( YUV and RGB 4:4:4 format with 10 bit per color). some HD tv's like our 900a's however can fully accept this signal and display it.
note:
1080p YUV @ 4.4.4 contains roughly 2x the chroma (color) information of a YUV @ 4.2.0 signal, eg it has +/- 2x more detail in its colors being displayed (but the color spectrum is NOT larger, eg both conform to the rec.709 standard for HD video). basically you get more detailed color shades and better color nuances, but not a wider color spectrum.

2) The new 4k bluray videos (mainly on disc, but to some extent also from future streamed 4k tv) contains a much better source video quality (
video @ 2160p (4k) YUV 4:2:0 10 bit) not just because the resolution is higher (4K) but because the source video was mastered in the studio to a much higher quality standard ( and presuming the original recording was of high 4k quality of course).
in particular the luma range is greater and more detailed @10bit (even without HDR), so you get much more detailed black/grey/white video signal details, leading to a much better/higher contrast ratio and much more detail in shadow/grey areas ( and usually deeper blacks). the chroma (color) information is also more detailed, allowing for more nuances in color tones.
a significant part of that better contrast and color detail can be maintained in the video signal IF it is converted from that high quality 4k (@ 4.2.0) source in one step to
1080p YUV (or RGB) @ 4.4.4 in 10 bit.
note: for purist videophiles ideally you would want to go in one step from the 4k
YUV 4:2:0 10 bit on the UHD bluray to 1080p RGB @ 4.4.4 in 10 bit (the less conversion steps, the less errors are introduced ), and it is confirmed that our 900a's can accept this high quality RGB video signal and will display it without further internal video conversion steps. this however might only be possible with a HTPC @4k and maybe not with standalone 4k players ).
note: an additional improvement might be gained from a HDR bluray if the player output can be set to match the display device (as seems to be the case for the new samsung and panasonic 4k player, as detailed in my previous post). this does NOT mean that we "get HDR" on a non-HDR display suddenly, it just means (if proven to work) that we get better contrast by tricking the 4k player into matching the full brightness our HD tv's can cope with.

3) one additional benefit for our 900a's is that we are
x.v.Color (eg xvYCC, or Extended-gamut YCC) compatible. this specification IS a wider color gamut in the rec.709 HD video standard that comes much closer to the rec.2020 spectrum of 4k video, so if a device like the HDFury can translate the rec.2020 wide color gamut from the 4k video into 2k x.v.Color @ 1080then we would have both increased color detail (as explained above) as well as a wider color spectrum (eg coming closer to represent the full color range the human eye can see)
note: this last part is the most tricky one, because to my knowledge no such device exists yet. the HDfury creators intend to provide this, but as of now it is not implemented yet (their rep stated today on their forum "
There is 3x3 matrix option to do such conversion but currently the feature is not completed, it might be completed in the next weeks or months. We are still looking for the right coeff to do such conversion.".

conclusion: out of the whole 4K bluray specifications, video experts seem to agree that the better video quality obtained from higher resolution is much less important then the higher detail in luma and chroma, a higher quality source video, and true 10 bit hardware displays. our 900a's are well placed to be able to use a significant part of that better video signal, but for it to work at its best, each step must correctly be implemented.

another joyful though on this topic is that our quantum dot displays have the benefit to be able to display brighter and more accurate red, green and blue's (see the very precise and clear peaks displayed in the spectral signal measured during technical reviews) in a video signal compared to standard LCD tv's, so we are well placed to benefit from the greater chroma/luma detail (and hopefully the wider
x.v.Color spectrum as well)

disclaimer: i am not a video expert , just hunting for best possible performance out of our tv's and following the leads i found so far. i had hoped some experten from avscience would have chimed in (or corrected me), but i havnt posted it for discussion elsewhere

helvetica bold and steve1971 like this.

Last edited by Jorgens; 08-22-2016 at 04:57 PM.
post #5686 of 5696 Unread 08-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Liked: 13
I'm building an entertainment computer right now. Any Blu-ray player I should consider better than others for my W900? It's a small form Silvererstone FTZ01 case but an external Blu-ray would be fine as well if I got better picture quality.
(Powerdvd 15 and kodi)

Last edited by michaelsammler; 08-17-2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: More clear
post #5687 of 5696 Unread 08-18-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgens View Post
it might still be a little premature to jump in, but your earlier tip to have a look at their devices was very usefull, from what i have seen so far they are the closest to implementing what we are after to be able to use the x.v.Color feature

after looking further into what i postulated a few weeks ago in this thread, about our 900a's being able to benefit from some of the elements of the higher video quality found on the new 4k bluray discs ( Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread ) , this concept largely seems to be confirmed now from the further reading i have done

from what i can make out there are several variables involved however for this to work, and it is important not to mix up some of the concepts or have unreasonable expectations by oversimplifying it. another problem is that not all technical/equipment elements involved are fully available yet (for ex no HTPC hardware 4k bluray players yet afaik), so those jumping in to early for standalone 4k players (or fury devices) might make expensive purchases they could regret later.

without rehashing all the detail again, the main elements are

1) most HD bluray discs (using YUV 4.2.0 @ 8 bit) were never mastered to fully utilize the max video quality that is technically possible under the HD 1080 video standard ( YUV 4:4:4 format with 10 bit per color). some HD tv's like our 900a's however can fully accept and display it.
note:
1080p YUV @ 4.4.4 contains roughly 2x the chroma (color) information of a YUV @ 4.2.0 signal, eg it has +/- 2x more detail in its colors being displayed (but the color spectrum is NOT larger, eg both conform to the rec.709 standard for HD video). basically you get more detailed color shades and better nuances, but not a wider color spectrum.

2) The new 4k bluray videos (mainly on disc, but to some extent also from future streamed 4k tv) contains a much better source video quality (
video @ 2160p (4k) YUV 4:2:0 10 bit) , presuming the original recording was of high 4k quality of course, and that the video is mastered at a much higher standard in post production by the studios.
in particular the luma range is greater and more detailed @10bit (even without HDR), so you get much more detailed black/grey/white video signal details, leading to a much better/higher contrast ratio. the chroma (color) information is also more detailed.
a significant part of that better contrast and color detail can be maintained in the video signal IF it is converted from that 4k source in one step to
1080p YUV (or RGB) @ 4.4.4 in 10 bit
note: for purist videophiles ideally you would want to go in one step from the 4k
YUV 4:2:0 10 bit on the UHD bluray to 1080p RGB @ 4.4.4 in 10 bit (the less conversion steps, the less errors are introduced), and it is confirmed that our 900a's can accept this RGB video signal and will display it without further internal video conversion steps. this however might only be possible with a HTPC @4k and maybe not with standalone 4k players ).
note: an additional improvement might be gained from a HDR bluray if the player output can be set to match the display device (as seems to be the case for the new samsung and panasonic 4k player, as detailed in my previous post). this does NOT mean that we "get HDR" on a non-HDR display suddenly, it just means (if proven to work) that we get better contrast by tricking the 4k player into matching the full brightness our HD tv's can cope with.

3) one additional benefit for our 900a's is that we are
x.v.Color (eg xvYCC, or Extended-gamut YCC) compatible. this specification IS a wider color gamut in the rec.709 HD video standard that comes much closer to the rec.2020 spectrum of 4k video, so if a device like the HDFury can translate the rec.2020 wide color gamut from the 4k video into 2k x.v.Color @ 1080then we would have both increased color detail (as explained above) as well as a wider color spectrum (eg coming closer to represent the full color range the human eye can see)
note: this last part is the most tricky one, because to my knowledge no such device exists yet. the HDfury creators intend to provide this, but as of now it is not implemented yet (their rep stated today on their forum "
There is 3x3 matrix option to do such conversion but currently the feature is not completed, it might be completed in the next weeks or months. We are still looking for the right coeff to do such conversion.".

conclusion: out of the whole 4K bluray specifications, video experts seem to agree that the better video quality obtained from higher resolution is much less important then the higher detail in luma and chroma, a higher quality source video, and true 10 bit hardware displays. our 900a's are well placed to be able to use a significant part of that better video signal, but for it to work at its best, each step must correctly be implemented.

another joyful though on this topic is that our quantum dot displays have the benefit to be able to display brighter and more accurate red, green and blue's (see the very precise and clear peaks displayed in the spectral signal measured during technical reviews) in a video signal compared to standard LCD tv's, so we are well placed to benefit from the greater chroma/luma detail (and hopefully the wider
x.v.Color spectrum as well)

disclaimer: i am not a video expert , just hunting for best possible performance out of our tv's and following the leads i found so far. i had hoped some experten from avscience would have chimed in (or corrected me), but i havnt posted it for discussion elsewhere

Jorgens, thanks for posting what you have found so far. Very helpful and interesting to to read. Question for you? Should I wait and hold off on buying the Panasonic 4K Blu ray player? Or the HD Fury Linker? And just wait to see if something better comes out to benefit my W9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsammler View Post
I'm building an entertainment computer right now. Any Blu-ray player I should consider better than others for my W900? It's a small form Silvererstone FTZ01 case but an external Blu-ray would be fine as well if I got better picture quality.
(Powerdvd 15 and kodi)

I strongly recommend the Sony BDP-S6500. I have one and its one of the best Blu ray players I have ever owned.
post #5688 of 5696 Unread 08-22-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsammler View Post
(Powerdvd 15 and kodi)
for a stand alone bluray player the Oppo range is probably the best choice in quality at a "reasonable" price, however some other things come into play
- average price for basic oppo model is 400$ usa i believe, which makes it 3 or 4x more expensive then a basic bluray player from a reputable main brand
- for video purists, some of the video enhancement features from some of the oppo models are also slightly altering the source video to make it look better (eg there is an element of artificial enhancement that is not truly in the source signal/information)
- the new 4k oppo player is expected before xmass this yr, so is it worth buying a 2k bluray player right now at a premium price ?

For a HTPC, in the old dvd days i always like the cyberlink video codec, and really noticed how on a good CRT (loewe) it made a significant difference. Since going to bluray and lcd, i use madvr with an older ATI card (waiting to upgrade the gfx card once it is determined how we can play 4k blurays from a pc, for which no hardware disc reader exists yet afaik). if your HTPC cpu/gfx card can handle it, the higher settings in madvr make a significant perceivable improvement (if you have a good display like we do, and use game setting @ 4.4.4 RGB) compared to the video from an average el-cheapo standalone bluray player.

HTPC's are however always needing tinkering and fixing i find, and there is a strong argument to just have a good stand alone player (but i have been using my main pc as HTPC function, not a dedicated HTPC unit like you are building). for relatively inexpensive bluray players 100-200 $ range i would go to some of the main AV equipment review websites and see what are the better options. for those brand/models they rate as "good", i dont think there will be much difference in video quality (compared to the improvements you would see by connecting a current 4k player or a well tuned HTPC for ex)

with the current "wait and see" in the next few months to determine what stand alone 4K bluray player (or add-in device like the Fury) will give us 900a users the best video quality, i wouldnt right spend the money on expensive new toys yet
post #5689 of 5696 Unread 08-22-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Question for you? Should I wait and hold off on buying the Panasonic 4K Blu ray player? Or the HD Fury Linker? And just wait to see if something better comes out to benefit my W9?
to early to make a choice on 4k players i believe (for the reasons explained earlier), and the new furylinker hasnt implemented x.v.Color conversion yet.

if you have a decent bluray player already, i would look at dvd/bluray movie review sites (including at avscience) for the releases that are reported to have outstanding video quality in their source material. our biggest variable right now is the quality of the source material on the disc imho. then rent/buy the movies/docco's that appeal to you for topic/content, and put on some popcorn and enjoy

steve1971 likes this.
post #5690 of 5696 Unread 08-23-2016, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
to early to make a choice on 4k players i believe (for the reasons explained earlier), and the new furylinker hasnt implemented x.v.Color conversion yet.

if you have a decent bluray player already, i would look at dvd/bluray movie review sites (including at avscience) for the releases that are reported to have outstanding video quality in their source material. our biggest variable right now is the quality of the source material on the disc imho. then rent/buy the movies/docco's that appeal to you for topic/content, and put on some popcorn and enjoy

I have the Sony BDP-S6500 which is an awesome player so I will take your advise and just hold off on a new player and the HD Fury Linker for now.
post #5691 of 5696 Unread 08-23-2016, 06:18 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
I strongly recommend the Sony BDP-S6500. I have one and its one of the best Blu ray players I have ever owned.
Quote:
for a stand alone bluray player the Oppo range is probably the best choice in quality at a "reasonable" price, however some other things come into play
- average price for basic oppo model is 400$ usa i believe, which makes it 3 or 4x more expensive then a basic bluray player from a reputable main brand
- for video purists, some of the video enhancement features from some of the oppo models are also slightly altering the source video to make it look better (eg there is an element of artificial enhancement that is not truly in the source signal/information)
- the new 4k oppo player is expected before xmass this yr, so is it worth buying a 2k bluray player right now at a premium price ?

For a HTPC, in the old dvd days i always like the cyberlink video codec, and really noticed how on a good CRT (loewe) it made a significant difference. Since going to bluray and lcd, i use madvr with an older ATI card (waiting to upgrade the gfx card once it is determined how we can play 4k blurays from a pc, for which no hardware disc reader exists yet afaik). if your HTPC cpu/gfx card can handle it, the higher settings in madvr make a significant perceivable improvement (if you have a good display like we do, and use game setting @ 4.4.4 RGB) compared to the video from an average el-cheapo standalone bluray player.

HTPC's are however always needing tinkering and fixing i find, and there is a strong argument to just have a good stand alone player (but i have been using my main pc as HTPC function, not a dedicated HTPC unit like you are building). for relatively inexpensive bluray players 100-200 $ range i would go to some of the main AV equipment review websites and see what are the better options. for those brand/models they rate as "good", i dont think there will be much difference in video quality (compared to the improvements you would see by connecting a current 4k player or a well tuned HTPC for ex)

with the current "wait and see" in the next few months to determine what stand alone 4K bluray player (or add-in device like the Fury) will give us 900a users the best video quality, i wouldnt right spend the money on expensive new toys yet
Thanks you guys. I just got a $60 slim Panasonic bluray player for now and will wait to see how things pan out. GTX 1080 just sitting at home waiting to be installed. Can't wait to see how the Witcher 3 looks.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5692 of 5696 Unread 08-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

I saw the Sony Z9D in person and i have to say its beautiful. Z9 is the first TV I would consider giving up the W9 for. Its HDR is far brighter than any OLED and its black level is amazing. If Sony adds Dolby Vision it might be time to upgrade next year.
post #5693 of 5696 Unread 08-24-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I saw the Sony Z9D in person and .......its black level is amazing.
good black are important, but true black is the absence of all light being emitted (which is why i cant get exited about oled's claim to "the best blacks" since their "black" is created by completely turning off all the oleds in that part of the screen/image). you can also argue that in most situations in RL very dark visible area's that might initially be perceived as black, are almost never devoid of all light, it is just that there is often so little light it is hard to initially make out detail in the very dark areas, and as your eyes adapt to the dark you should gradually be able to make out more details. a good display technology should be able to recreate that level of detail in those very dark "near black" parts of the screen.

so, but what about the visible detail in dark grey and near black scenery/video for the very dark area's of the image on the Z9D ? by all preview indications it should be the closest to video heaven currently possible.

and what was your impression of the overall quality of the image on screen ? being a high end sony with the latest 4K, HDR, and rec2020 color spectrum implemented, it should be another significant step up in the realism stakes of recreating the real life 3 dimensional scenery/object being filmed on a flat 2 dimensional display media (lcd tv)

with 70% of all free to air digital tv here still only being SD, the 4K hype leaves me rather uninterested ( upscaling from 2k bluray on a good 4k tv is however worth while ). having their new high count FALD on a 60 or 65' screen with sony's motion flow and the latest HDR/rec2020 implemented is the exiting part to me (subject to prices being reasonable)

did you notice any significant heat coming from the screen ? from the little information we have from early previews, it consumes a much larger amount of power then most lcd's because of the FALD grid technology (and is also significantly thicker and much heavier)

Quote:
If Sony adds Dolby Vision it might be time to upgrade next year.
there is a good chance they can still implement this for the Z9D. I have seen some tech review websites mentioning the fact sony is currently "in discussion" with Dolby on "unspecified matters". it is likely both companies want to avoid another standards war for the different HDR technologies being developed in parallel. afaik Dolby does charge a significant premium for their certification and this was probably sony's main previous objection. technically the Z9D can meet the Dolby Vision specs i believe, they just havnt implemented it in their firmware
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by Jorgens; 08-24-2016 at 10:45 PM.
post #5694 of 5696 Unread Yesterday, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I saw the Sony Z9D in person and i have to say its beautiful. Z9 is the first TV I would consider giving up the W9 for. Its HDR is far brighter than any OLED and its black level is amazing. If Sony adds Dolby Vision it might be time to upgrade next year.
I saw the Z9D for the first time at my local BB Magnolia department and my impression's? Beautiful and the only tv out there right now I would consider replacing my W9 with until that is I saw the price! A little over 2 years ago I paid roughly 2 grand and some change for my W9 and at the time that was pushing it for me. But there is no way in hell I would pay what they are asking for the Z9D as it stands right now and I dont care how good it looks or what bells and whistles comes with it. But it is the tv that, if the money was right, I would replace my W9 with no questions asked. But the Z9D is the first tv I have seen that can beat my W9 PQ wise in my opinion but the price is just way out there for me. I'm a married man with bill's to pay. What gets me is IF I went out and bought the Z9D right now and spent that kind of money the tv would be obsolete come CES 2017 when Sony announces yet another new line of tv's and for that kind of money the tv better be around for a long time and have more then just a 1 year warranty attached to it because Sony no longer does extended warranty's on their products. That all being said. The Z9D is a beautiful set and a winner by Sony and a tv that finally to my eye beats my W9 PQ wise but the price scares me the hell away so it looks like my W9 is safe and not going anywhere anytime soon. But for those who have money to spend and buy the Z9D Congrats because you wont find a better tv.
post #5695 of 5696 Unread Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with you Steve that the Z9 is too expensive. But the master back light drive is new proprietary tech so Sony can charge a premium. I didn't realize Magnolia had it in stores. The Z9 reminds of the W9 but with 4K HDR added, that's what i find exciting. Im going to wait for the 2nd gen Z9 to seriously consider it. Perhaps by then Sony will have added Dolby Vision.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5696 of 5696 Unread Today, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree with you Steve that the Z9 is too expensive. But the master back light drive is new proprietary tech so Sony can charge a premium. I didn't realize Magnolia had it in stores. The Z9 reminds of the W9 but with 4K HDR added, that's what i find exciting. Im going to wait for the 2nd gen Z9 to seriously consider it. Perhaps by then Sony will have added Dolby Vision.

I look at it this way. The Z9 is the W9 on steroid's. It takes everything that is great about the W9 and makes it even better with the addition of the Master Backlight Drive and 4K HDR which honestly I could live without. But if they would have added Dolby Vision that's a whole different story. Finally Sony came out with a tv that I could have replaced my beloved W9 with but the price is a deal breaker for me sadly. But trust me I will keep my eye on it especially next year when the new sets hit and there will be no doubt a price drop. But the Z9 like my W900A is a winner from Sony that's for sure and a beauty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread