Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 315Likes
post #5731 of 5741 Unread 09-28-2016, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
scei159 and steve1971
Thank very much! i will try them....
Sharpness is 10? It´s a mistake? The minimum setting for sharpness is 30-35 for me (below this value i see blurry). Anyway i prefer default setting (50)
Another thing...good settings for Ps4? I have the Original Game Mode but I think it could be better
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 5741 Unread 09-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by scei159 View Post
This is setting from soundandvision:

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...IeUpvsIpyYV.97

Saludos .
I tried these settings on my Sony KDL-55W905A and i need to be extremely critical as these are the worst settings I ever set on my TV. White background is like yellow. Like you enter in smoker's room and you have that yellow colour on the wall from the nicotine. This is due to Warm 2 setting is applied.
Picture is extremely blurry on HTPC. I can not read text at all. This is due to the sharpness level set to low.
Backlight is set too low too. You can have problem with watching in normal light conditions.

I set my TV already about 2 years ago and I use these setting for my HTPC and TV mode. They are a tiny bit different. You can find them here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8...VSWVVDWjg/view

For calibration I used no special advanced calibration equipment. But rather some common sense and test picture also Didee provided. Besides that I also recommend Nokia Test, Lagom online LCD test (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php) and AVSHD tests MP4-2c. Another practical thing is also to make a photo with a decent camera of some place you know very well. Nature outide your house. Inside your living room and compare that with reality on the spot.

With kind regards,
D.
post #5733 of 5741 Unread 09-28-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I use warm1 for PC HDMI input and warm2 for everything else.

I am a former ISF calibrator and many don't like a properly calibrated picture because they are used to watching cooler color temps their whole lives. I stopped trying to make people like accuracy. Its ok for us all to have different preferences.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5734 of 5741 Unread 09-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 181
One odd thing I noticed about the Sound and Vision settings (besides the sharpness) is the Gamma. They have it set at 0 or +1.

This is from the review from hdtv.uk

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl55...1403103661.htm

"Sony continue to fly the 2.4 gamma flag high, and we absolutely respect them for it. After all, the International Communications Union (ITU) has since 2011 recommended 2.4 as the EOTF (electro-optical transfer function) for flat-screen HDTVs used for dark-room studio mastering.
With [Gamma] left untouched at its default value of “-2” in [Cinema 1] mode, average gamma tracked very closely to 2.4 in a linear fashion, which will provide a punchy image with a realistic and smooth transition from darker to brighter areas on screen."

I've had my gamma set to -2 since the day I bought my W9.
steve1971 likes this.
post #5735 of 5741 Unread Yesterday, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I use warm1 for PC HDMI input and warm2 for everything else.

I am a former ISF calibrator and many don't like a properly calibrated picture because they are used to watching cooler color temps their whole lives. I stopped trying to make people like accuracy. Its ok for us all to have different preferences.

I think the problem is is people like to see oversaturated color's and dont care for accuracy and that's fine it's their set. They like to see what they see at a store which is the set is set to Vivid and the color's are blown out or worse and brightness is set to Max. Not me. With a set like the W9 I want it to be as accurate as it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
One odd thing I noticed about the Sound and Vision settings (besides the sharpness) is the Gamma. They have it set at 0 or +1.

This is from the review from hdtv.uk

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl55...1403103661.htm

"Sony continue to fly the 2.4 gamma flag high, and we absolutely respect them for it. After all, the International Communications Union (ITU) has since 2011 recommended 2.4 as the EOTF (electro-optical transfer function) for flat-screen HDTVs used for dark-room studio mastering.
With [Gamma] left untouched at its default value of “-2” in [Cinema 1] mode, average gamma tracked very closely to 2.4 in a linear fashion, which will provide a punchy image with a realistic and smooth transition from darker to brighter areas on screen."

I've had my gamma set to -2 since the day I bought my W9.
That's where my Gamma is set to as well -2. That's one of the things that hasnt been touched since I got my W9.
scei159 likes this.
post #5736 of 5741 Unread Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
.....and brightness set to 51 (for me)
post #5737 of 5741 Unread Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Gamma and processing settings I'm handling slightly different. Standard prayer is "set Gamma to -2 and switch off all processing". Me, I've come to "set Gamma to -1 and set Black-Corrector to medium" (for scene preset cinema > cinema1/2, that is.). Of course this is not acting perfectly "linear" if you do a series-of-measurements during a calibration procedure. It is, purely visual and only from my POV, acting better than that.
I mean, see ... nowadays we are already in "HDR" and "HDR+" age ... hardly anyone knows how to handle this correctly or how this ultimately should look like ... but surely the crowds are enthusiastic, still nobody really knows how to "calibrate" the beast.
In that context, I feel quite comfortable with losing a bit of technical linearity, but gaining a bit of visual dynamics with the not-recommended-by-calibrators-settings of Gamma -1 & BlackCorrector medium.
post #5738 of 5741 Unread Yesterday, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I set Gamma -2 for most content but -1/0 for sports. I never use black correct but YMMV. There should not be much difference between Brightness 50 & 51.

I think its a good practice to start with Rtings, S&V, Cinema1 default or other settings to start and then adjust to tastes.

Pro calibration is nowhere near as necessary as it was back in the CRT days.
post #5739 of 5741 Unread Yesterday, 01:13 PM

One of the thing that can be an orientation point is a white paper. Seeing it under normal daylight conditions. This is my reference for white. Someone may ask what is a normal daylight condition? Seeing "calibrated white" as yellow, red, green or blue on TV instead of white it says that there is something wrong with the settings. Or maybe something that may eyes do not associate with white. Warm 2 on Sony TV emphasize that yellowish/green tint to me. Is that correct natural white I see on a physical white paper? Not to me.

best, d.
post #5740 of 5741 Unread Yesterday, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 414
I stand corrected. I have my Gamma set to 0. -1 or -2 takes out detail in dark scenes to my eye. I also have my Brightness set to 51 and will not go any higher then that. My W9 is set to Warm 2 and to me that makes for a more natural picture. I dont like a blown out picture or one that is over saturated so Warm 2 is it for me. As for some that are saying there's no need to have a tv calibrated thats a matter of opinion and choice. If I had to do it all over again I wouldnt have had my tv Pro Calibrated but for I what I paid for it and for the deal I got from the Pro Calibrator that came out to do my tv I felt it was the right move. Do I regret it? No. Would I do it again? No. That all being said. I got my first up close look at Sony's new Z9D. For the first time I saw a tv that beat out my W9, at least in my opinion. The only thing stopping me from buying it is the damn price. But there are now two tv's that I would consider replacing my W9 with and that's Sony's Z9D and LG's OLED tv.
post #5741 of 5741 Unread Today, 12:26 AM

Color temperature settings on Sony TV (Cool, Neutral, Warm 1 and Warm 2) will not affect the blown or over saturated picture. It will only influence on the color temperature selection which might vary from app. 5000 - 9000K. I doubt that Warm 2 is 6500K which is in most cases treated as the reference white. Warm 2 is in my opinion 5000K or lower and that is why the picture has that yellow tone. In my case I have my color temperate set to Neutral, Brightness on 50 and with Gamma I experiement from time to time in the range from -1 to +1.

best, d.

Last edited by delfincek; Today at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread