Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
$2299 at walmart.com - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL-55W900A-55-1080p-960Hz-LED-2.5-ultra-slim-HDTV/24017019

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofjord View Post

Just got this TV a week ago and I'm absolutely loving it. This will probably sound crazy to most here but it's not quite bright enough for me unless I'm in a completely dark room. I wonder if I'm just used to computer monitors and iPads but is this TV supposed to get as bright as those? Or, is there a chance that something is off with my set and I'm not able to get the full brightness for whatever reason?
There is auto brightness adjustment under Eco settings that you probably didn't turn off. After I turned mine off if was significantly better.
post #633 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

So I pulled the trigger today. Stole it from Best Buy!!! Got a great deal. The only catch is they don't have ANY in inventory so I have to wait maybe a week but the deal was worth the wait. I'm pumped. Got the 5 year warranty too so I should be set.

The only thing that kind of irked me a bit was when I was buying the tv a sales guy I've never seen before (not my guys) was asking why I didn't get the XBR because it was the only Sony worth buying. He went on to say that Sony only puts their best panels in XBR's and he wouldn't get the W900 and that I should just spring for the 4K set. He was borderline insulting and was downplaying the fact that I was spending $2600 dollars in their store. I went on to tell him that I love the look of the 4k set but It's just out of my budget significantly. He responded by saying "well you'll keep it 4-5 years so what's 3 grand?".

I took a moment and just looked at the sales guy and responded by telling him he was right and all they needed to do was drop the price of the set 1500 dollars or he could loan me the 3 grand and I'd pay him back when I could. That was the end of the conversation......

I was surprised they didn't have ANY W900's in the warehouses. Apparently they aren't officially for sale at Best Buy till today (16th). Seems silly to have it setup and not have any in inventory but it all worked out. They beat the Buy.com price of (2129) and gave me a deal on the 5 year warranty too!!!

Being a Best Buy Silver member I also get a free geek squad calibration so after a month of watching the set I'll have them come out and tune it in a little.
Congrats! This set is great and performance wise better than 4k XBR in my opinion. The Best Buy guy sounds like a complete douche that doesn't know what he is talking about. If you're planning on using their free calibration don't let them go into service menu!!! There is plenty of people who reported that Best Buy calibrators are pretty bad.

I watched Avatar last night and the picture is very very good. No clouding or banding that I could see compared to the 3 Samsung ES8000s I went through.
post #634 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

So I pulled the trigger today. Stole it from Best Buy!!! Got a great deal. The only catch is they don't have ANY in inventory so I have to wait maybe a week but the deal was worth the wait. I'm pumped. Got the 5 year warranty too so I should be set.

The only thing that kind of irked me a bit was when I was buying the tv a sales guy I've never seen before (not my guys) was asking why I didn't get the XBR because it was the only Sony worth buying. He went on to say that Sony only puts their best panels in XBR's and he wouldn't get the W900 and that I should just spring for the 4K set. He was borderline insulting and was downplaying the fact that I was spending $2600 dollars in their store. I went on to tell him that I love the look of the 4k set but It's just out of my budget significantly. He responded by saying "well you'll keep it 4-5 years so what's 3 grand?".

I took a moment and just looked at the sales guy and responded by telling him he was right and all they needed to do was drop the price of the set 1500 dollars or he could loan me the 3 grand and I'd pay him back when I could. That was the end of the conversation......

I was surprised they didn't have ANY W900's in the warehouses. Apparently they aren't officially for sale at Best Buy till today (16th). Seems silly to have it setup and not have any in inventory but it all worked out. They beat the Buy.com price of (2129) and gave me a deal on the 5 year warranty too!!!

Being a Best Buy Silver member I also get a free geek squad calibration so after a month of watching the set I'll have them come out and tune it in a little.

That's a great deal. What an ass that Sales Guy was. I really hate shopping for TVs at Best Buy because it feels weird that I know more about TVs than someone selling TVs for a living. I've seen both the W900A and 4K Sony up close and side by side and I couldn't tell a significant difference until I got up close to the 4K. There's been numerous articles stating that 4K is useless unless you sit really close or buy big, 70"+, so the 5K for a 55" 4K seems silly.
post #635 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeForceFX5200 View Post

I don't know where you live, but I never heard of someone returning an LCD over 1 stuck pixel. I think by law they can sell you an LCD with like 3 or even 5 stuck pixels.
Sorry the pixel is not stuck is a dead red sub-pixel. I have just done my homework better about dead or stuck pixels:D
post #636 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 AM

UPDATE:

6/30 - Calibrated 3D mode
6/23 - Updated Cinema 1 Calibrated Settings

Well I calibrated my set yesterday. I was able to get a pretty good result even with the limited controls that this TV has.
Grayscale Results: (Click to show)
3D Grayscale Results: (Click to show)

I was able to get all but the IRE 10 under dE 3.

PLEASE NOTE: Every TV panel is different. What looks good on mine might not look the same on yours. I prefer the industry standard look to my picture, so these might not look good to everyone.

Updated 6/23/2013 Cinema 1 Calirated Settings: (Click to show)

1. Home > Settings > Picture & Display

Screen:
Wide Mode - Full
Auto Wide - Off
Auto Display Area - Off
Display Area - Full Pixel

2. Home > Settings > Preferences

Scene Select - Cinema
Eco - Everything Off
Startup Logo - Off
Front Panel Illimination - Off

3.Options > Picture Adjustments

Picture Mode - Cinema 1
Backlight - 6
Picture - 90
Brightness - 50
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 2
Sharpness - 60
Motionflow - Clear

Everything else is set to Off

Advanced Settings:
Gamma: -1
LED Dynamic Control - Low
White Balance:
R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -8
B-Gain: -9
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

3D Cinema 1 Calirated Settings: (Click to show)

Screen:
Auto Display Area - Off

3D Settings:
3D Depth - 0
3D Glasses Brightness - Medium

Scene Select - Cinema
Eco - Everything Off
Startup Logo - Off

Picture Mode - Cinema 1
Backlight - Max
Picture - 85
Brightness - 49
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Sharpness - 60
Motionflow - Standard

Advanced Settings:
Gamma: 0
White Balance:
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -10
B-Gain: -1
R-Bias: +1

When I'll have some free time I'm planning on calibrating Game mode and 3D mode as well. I'll just update this post when I get around to it.
post #637 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do this and posting the results. I'll plug these into my tv and take a look.
post #638 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xitman View Post

Well I calibrated my set yesterday. I was able to get a pretty good result even with the limited controls that this TV has.
Grayscale Results: (Click to show)

I was able to get all but the IRE 10 under dE 3.

PLEASE NOTE: Every TV panel is different. What looks good on mine might not look the same on yours. I prefer the industry standard look to my picture, so these might not look good to everyone.
Cinema 1 Calirated Settings: (Click to show)

Screen:
Wide Mode - Full
Auto Wide - Off
Auto Display Area - Off

Scene Select - Cinema
Eco - Everything Off
Startup Logo - Off

Picture Mode - Cinema 1
Backlight - 4
Picture - 87
Brightness - 49
Color - 53
Hue - 0
Sharpness - 60
Motionflow - Clear

Advanced Settings:
Gamma - 0
White Balance:
R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -8
B-Gain: -2
R-Bias: +1

When I'll have some free time I'm planning on calibrating Game mode and 3D mode as well. I'll just update this post when I get around to it.

Pretty close to the settings I have been using without having a clue how to calibrate properly and just eye balling it eek.gif Other than the filters I mentioned I like using before when I had those crazy settings that didn't work out.

Well my first post when I picked this up was four weeks and 2 days ago so this TV survived the satisfaction guaranteed return window tongue.gif Still loving it as much as I did then. The horizontal banding has got slightly worse but other than that still no issues with light bleed, vertical banding, clouding etc. So compared to any other TV I have tried it is still the best in that regard. And thankfully horizontal banding doesn't bug me as much as vertical banding since it is sports like hockey and football where banding bugs me. And since that is fast pans left and right the horizontal banding isn't seen then while vertical banding is. Baseball might show the horizontal banding but not a baseball fan so not a problem for me. Just every now and then with a movie it will pan up or down a solid color or skin tone that I notice it. But it has made me notice pans like that are not used too often tongue.gif

And can't say I have picked up on it with a game yet since games tend to avoid solid color backdrops more so than movies. I am sure a few people have ran into me online just standing in place looking around like a complete tool trying to see if I can notice banding panning around the sky not paying attention to the fact somebody is about to kill me eek.gif

Gaming still where it really shines for me which is why as I figured they would it doesn't surprise me this is what Sony used for all their displays at E3. I still really get the feeling Sony wanted to focus on making a TV great for gaming to really showcase the PS4 this year. Got my system (And the Xbox One despite Microsoft's nonsense) pre-ordered and now just the impatient wait for them to release. Seems so far away even though it really isn't that far tongue.gif

Tried a different approach to trying to take a better picture of it but still think I failed miserably frown.gif

post #639 of 5029 Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

There is auto brightness adjustment under Eco settings that you probably didn't turn off. After I turned mine off if was significantly better.
Thanks! That was the setting I missed!
post #640 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 AM

Liked: 12
Cant wait to get mine
post #641 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 AM

So I should run that pixel app to check for dead pixels once I get it?
post #642 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
New update for the TV today. Is there a site we can go it that explains what it does?
post #643 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM

Does the tv have an ethernet port or is it just wifi?
post #644 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

New update for the TV today. Is there a site we can go it that explains what it does?

Found this, but looks like new one not on there, unless you didn't update before. I'll have to check when I get home.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=KDL55W900A&LOC=3#/downloadTab
post #645 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Does the tv have an ethernet port or is it just wifi?
Yes there is one in the back.
post #646 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Product/Details/966?mainCategoryId=104&categoryId=10423&subCategoryId=1042301

This would work, no need to spend extra dough.

This isn't a switcher. This is designed to split one signal into two. He might run into issues using this backwards, given that some devices leave the optical port on constantly, especially TV's. That would likely corrupt any signal from the BD player.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #647 of 5029 Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

This isn't a switcher. This is designed to split one signal into two. He might run into issues using this backwards, given that some devices leave the optical port on constantly, especially TV's. That would likely corrupt any signal from the BD player.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1371481451&sr=8-6&keywords=optical+port+switcher
I've heard this one is good.
post #648 of 5029 Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 PM

Got mine installed today. Used the same settings as on my 65" XBR 950 and it looks great!
post #649 of 5029 Old 06-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashoser View Post

Got mine installed today. Used the same settings as on my 65" XBR 950 and it looks great!

Other than black levels how do they compare?
post #650 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 AM

Liked: 13
post #651 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofascist View Post

Other than black levels how do they compare?

Hard to tell, IMO. Both sets are new (got the 65 HX 950 about four weeks ago). I haven't had enough time with the 900a to see if the triluminous display really makes a difference.

Right now, the two sets look really, really comparable to each other.
post #652 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Interesting Review from the UK. I guess it is hard to know all the possible settings when you review so many different products,
but the reviewer had to have a hint from someone reading the review to turn off the ECO setting to get the brightness to
normal LCD levels. Otherwise, I agreed with his review. Great PQ!

Cw
post #653 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 PM

I've been waiting a long time to replace my old XBR4. This is going to be it very soon.
post #654 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Xitman and CW,

Still having problem with settings, mainly when i'm watching movies on cabletv, all seem to be very dark.

All echo off.

Also I had my HX850 before it blew, all movies an TV series where life like, you'd think your was watching them in 3D.

Unable to get this with the 900A. When I change channels it notes 1080P upper left side of screen, not sure what I have to do.

Connected to hdmi1/arc should I mover it to hdmi3 or 4?

Can't get Geek Squad for another couple weeks (100 hours)

thanks

SteveZ1
post #655 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 03:19 PM

Sorry when I hit home and click on HDMI1 it shows 1080I 16:9 which seems correct, Sharpness is at 58 but can't get that really clear sharp picture.

Thanks

stevez1
post #656 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 04:04 PM

How exactly is your cable box outputting 1080p?

I thought all cable broadcasts regardless of provider in the US were only doing 720p or 1080i max.
post #657 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez1 View Post

Xitman and CW,

Still having problem with settings, mainly when i'm watching movies on cabletv, all seem to be very dark.

All echo off.

Also I had my HX850 before it blew, all movies an TV series where life like, you'd think your was watching them in 3D.

Unable to get this with the 900A. When I change channels it notes 1080P upper left side of screen, not sure what I have to do.

Connected to hdmi1/arc should I mover it to hdmi3 or 4?

Can't get Geek Squad for another couple weeks (100 hours)

thanks

SteveZ1
It might be the quality of the cable broadcast itself. I don't have cable or sat, just over the air antenna and its looks fine. How does DVDs or Blu Rays look? If they are fine than there might be some settings in your cable box that are messing with the picture.
post #658 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
WOW I had the light sensor turned on, didn't realize it. I just shut it off and it really made the PQ pop!
I have live color turned off but the colors are just beautiful on this TV.

Question what does the one touch remote control set up do?
post #659 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM

This is probably half me obsessing over little things and half me starting to get over the "wow" phase of this TV but the clouding is starting to get to me a little. Anyone else having this issue?

This is my first LED TV so I didn't know to look out for it. Now that I do... Yeah. Is there a way to minimize clouding and the light bleed from the edges or is it a luck of the draw thing from one set to the next? I've had the TV for two weeks now so I'm not sure if I could exchange it for another one.
post #660 of 5029 Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofjord View Post

This is probably half me obsessing over little things and half me starting to get over the "wow" phase of this TV but the clouding is starting to get to me a little. Anyone else having this issue?

This is my first LED TV so I didn't know to look out for it. Now that I do... Yeah. Is there a way to minimize clouding and the light bleed from the edges or is it a luck of the draw thing from one set to the next? I've had the TV for two weeks now so I'm not sure if I could exchange it for another one.
If you lower your Backlight it shouldn't be as noticeable. If you can notice it during regular viewing and not just during dark content, than I would contact Sony.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page