Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Jurge92's Avatar Jurge92
01:06 PM Liked: 10
post #811 of 5243
07-12-2013 | Posts: 19
Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post

What about Game mode? I play a lot of Ps3, do I need to adjust or turn on more settings or just leave it on defaults? I played Joe Danger: The movie, Little Big Planet 2, and I don't know, like the picture is kinda washed, brightness is set to 50 by default, and gamma on 0, should I lower the gamma to -1 or -2?

Thanks!

You could try these settings in Game-Original:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786198

I'm using these for my 46W905A in Game-Original and it looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile
06:20 PM Liked: 165
post #812 of 5243
07-12-2013 | Posts: 2,010
Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post

Yep, I have the same problem, not only "wobbly" but mine is just a little tilted on the left side... I can level it by hand, but it's back on the left on it's own. smile.gif Its not a big problem, it's like 3-4 mm only, but for the TV of that price... hm, Sony...

Personally, I wouldn't find this acceptable. I'd exchange it for a new one.
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
03:04 AM Liked: 206
post #813 of 5243
07-13-2013 | Posts: 1,425
Joined: Apr 2007
What is the difference between game-standard and game-original?
bigpete1983's Avatar bigpete1983
05:23 AM Liked: 11
post #814 of 5243
07-13-2013 | Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

What is the difference between game-standard and game-original?
Some tv enthusiasts from avforums uk say the blacks get far darker when you switch from standard to original but I still see no difference in PQ between game-standard and original because probably I'm not a tv enthusiast ha ha ha...
Cutwolf's Avatar Cutwolf
09:38 AM Liked: 15
post #815 of 5243
07-13-2013 | Posts: 259
Joined: May 2006
So I got my 55" version yesterday!

Opened the box...



The seller has already agreed to the RMA, and it will be picked up Tuesday, but there is something still very frustrating about buying a $2200 TV, having it shipped, expecting it to arrive on a certain date, and then having to send it back and get a new one which likely won't get here for another two weeks at best.
helvetica bold's Avatar helvetica bold
11:18 AM Liked: 65
post #816 of 5243
07-13-2013 | Posts: 571
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

What is the difference between game-standard and game-original?

original uses no extra processing for the lowest lag possible. contrast is maxed out for inky blacks.
If you're gaming on the 360 and want the best possible picture use RGB / Expanded / and set the sonys
HDMI dynamic range to full. When you watch TV make sure you set HDMI back to auto or the PQ will wash out.
Velimir Saban's Avatar Velimir Saban
01:07 PM Liked: 10
post #817 of 5243
07-13-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurge92 View Post

You could try these settings in Game-Original:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786198

I'm using these for my 46W905A in Game-Original and it looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oh yeah, thats much better! Two factors here change the whole picture: Light Sensor off in System Settings (I somehow forgot about that), and that default gamma on Cinema 1 mode is -2... that's the most important for me. Once I put it on -2, Game mode got that deep picture I wanted. I also set LED dynamic control to "low" because there is no influence on input lag, and with it, the strange "clouding" dissapeard. Now the screen screams with POWER!
Velimir Saban's Avatar Velimir Saban
01:14 PM Liked: 10
post #818 of 5243
07-13-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Personally, I wouldn't find this acceptable. I'd exchange it for a new one.

There is a screw on top of the stand which gave me little space to level the TV... Now its in a one millimeter "almost perfection". I think I will not ecxhange it, for now, only if it tilts back on its own...
Jurge92's Avatar Jurge92
04:44 AM Liked: 10
post #819 of 5243
07-15-2013 | Posts: 19
Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post

Oh yeah, thats much better! Two factors here change the whole picture: Light Sensor off in System Settings (I somehow forgot about that), and that default gamma on Cinema 1 mode is -2... that's the most important for me. Once I put it on -2, Game mode got that deep picture I wanted. I also set LED dynamic control to "low" because there is no influence on input lag, and with it, the strange "clouding" dissapeard. Now the screen screams with POWER!

Do you use Warm 1/2 or Neutral when playing games? I use the exact same settings as Steve's settings, just in Game-Original(as previously posted). However, I can't decide whether its better to play in Neutral or any of the Warm settings. Currently I'm using Warm 2.
Velimir Saban's Avatar Velimir Saban
04:52 AM Liked: 10
post #820 of 5243
07-15-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurge92 View Post

Do you use Warm 1/2 or Neutral when playing games? I use the exact same settings as Steve's settings, just in Game-Original(as previously posted). However, I can't decide whether its better to play in Neutral or any of the Warm settings. Currently I'm using Warm 2.

Personally, I prefer "Neutral" option with -2 Gamma. Warm is just too "yellow" in my games.
Jurge92's Avatar Jurge92
05:13 AM Liked: 10
post #821 of 5243
07-15-2013 | Posts: 19
Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post

Personally, I prefer "Neutral" option with -2 Gamma. Warm is just too "yellow" in my games.

My thoughts the same. I changed it to Neutral now, and Shadow of the Colossus looks more natural than in Warm. Also tried out the -2 Gamma, which does give the picture a deeper look.

I can understand how Warm might be better in normal TV viewing, but I feel that games were meant to be played in Neutral.
Ace of Space's Avatar Ace of Space
07:04 AM Liked: 12
post #822 of 5243
07-15-2013 | Posts: 472
Joined: May 2003
Another great review.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1373877495
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar HaRd2BeAr
08:40 AM Liked: 38
post #823 of 5243
07-15-2013 | Posts: 907
Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

original uses no extra processing for the lowest lag possible. contrast is maxed out for inky blacks.
If you're gaming on the 360 and want the best possible picture use RGB / Expanded / and set the sonys
HDMI dynamic range to full. When you watch TV make sure you set HDMI back to auto or the PQ will wash out.

I heard the same with regards the xbox settings but set the sony to limited not full?

Confused now frown.gif
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
12:08 PM Liked: 206
post #824 of 5243
07-15-2013 | Posts: 1,425
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

original uses no extra processing for the lowest lag possible. contrast is maxed out for inky blacks.
If you're gaming on the 360 and want the best possible picture use RGB / Expanded / and set the sonys
HDMI dynamic range to full. When you watch TV make sure you set HDMI back to auto or the PQ will wash out.

I have tested this back and forth and I can tell you there is no difference between standard/auto and expanded/full on the xbox 360.
helvetica bold's Avatar helvetica bold
05:02 PM Liked: 65
post #825 of 5243
07-15-2013 | Posts: 571
Joined: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I have tested this back and forth and I can tell you there is no difference between standard/auto and expanded/full on the xbox 360.


Did you use a test pattern? I'll take another look tonight but i thought overall the PQ was richer with Xbox set to RGB expanded w/ HDMI set to full.
Remember with standard you are clipping the RGB video range to 16-235.

I'll see if i can grab some pics as well. I cant wait for the new systems, hopefully the gamma on the Xbox One is better on the 360.
Velimir Saban's Avatar Velimir Saban
02:52 AM Liked: 10
post #826 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 10
Joined: Jul 2013
After few days now with 46w905 I noticed first problem with screen. When the scene is moving slowly from left to right in, for example Gran Turismo 6 Demo, and if I fix my eyes on one detail in the center of the screen I can see some strange vertical lines, parallel one to another. It is looking like its's the part of the game engine, and the textures are breaking, but yesterday I notices the same thing in a movie. Is that normal for a screen of that size and the technology in it?
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
03:24 AM Liked: 206
post #827 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 1,425
Joined: Apr 2007
Do you have motion smoothing on? If so is it on the "smooth" setting? On this setting there are many picture artifacts. When motion smoothing is set to "standard" these issues are not present.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971
07:03 AM Liked: 316
post #828 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 2,163
Joined: Jul 2008
Hey guys isn't the W900A the model that replaced the HX850? I have heard good things about the W900 but why Sony didn't use the Gorilla Glass and Opticontrast panel is beyond me. How does the black levels compare to the HX850? Good, bad or the same? Cnet says they don't match the HX850 but I don't take everything Cnet says to heart anyway. No I don't plan on replacing my new HX850 with a W900 but I am just interested in what everyone thinks on how the 2 sets match up.
GeorgeE's Avatar GeorgeE
07:52 AM Liked: 10
post #829 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 60
Joined: Jul 2002
Hi,
Just got my W9 last night.
Hooked up Directv and AppleTV inputs.
The options button does not work with the AppleTV input.
Cant seem to change display settings for the appleTV by pressing "Options" on the remote.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Tarheel1400's Avatar Tarheel1400
10:48 AM Liked: 12
post #830 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 283
Joined: Mar 2013
I'm still loving my set. Awesome Awesome tv.

I've noticed tiny things here and there but no tv is perfect. I keep telling myself that. If you go to the F8000 forum it's depressing. Lol. The three Best Buys I've been into said Samsung is there #1 returned tv right now.

The wobbly stand hasn't bothered me since I stopped pushing on it lol. I thought about measuring to see if it droops on one side but I haven't noticed anything and I feel like I'm just knick-picking at this point. Tv is just awesome.

Played a ton of PS3 games on it with no issues either. Best TV I've ever owned.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971
11:03 AM Liked: 316
post #831 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 2,163
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

I'm still loving my set. Awesome Awesome tv.

I've noticed tiny things here and there but no tv is perfect. I keep telling myself that. If you go to the F8000 forum it's depressing. Lol. The three Best Buys I've been into said Samsung is there #1 returned tv right now.

The wobbly stand hasn't bothered me since I stopped pushing on it lol. I thought about measuring to see if it droops on one side but I haven't noticed anything and I feel like I'm just knick-picking at this point. Tv is just awesome.

Played a ton of PS3 games on it with no issues either. Best TV I've ever owned.


All that matter's Tarheel is that you enjoy your set and that's all. As for the Samsung comment? No surprise really on them being the most returned units at BB because I have always said about Samsung TV's and that is beautiful on the outside but junk on the inside. I like their phones and that's about it.
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024
11:12 AM Liked: 1102
post #832 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 7,352
Joined: Dec 2010

Hey guys.

 

Over in the KDL_xxR550A forum, a couple of us have noticed two things:

 

1. There's an issue we've coined "lavender lips", where skin colors look ok, but the tongue and lips have a kind of striking blue push to them bringing them to a bright lavender or magenta.

2. It *maybe* got worse in the last week or so from a recent firmware update.  One person is convinced of it, I'm mostly so.

 

The R550A line is a basic TV that many bought because of the size options (50/60/70").  But it is very limited in settings.  So there's a few things some of us are struggling with over there and I was wondering if there were any changes on this 900 model recently too.
 


*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
12:47 PM Liked: 206
post #833 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 1,425
Joined: Apr 2007
The r550 shares no similarities with the w900a and does not have this problem.
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
12:53 PM Liked: 206
post #834 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 1,425
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Hey guys isn't the W900A the model that replaced the HX850? I have heard good things about the W900 but why Sony didn't use the Gorilla Glass and Opticontrast panel is beyond me. How does the black levels compare to the HX850? Good, bad or the same? Cnet says they don't match the HX850 but I don't take everything Cnet says to heart anyway. No I don't plan on replacing my new HX850 with a W900 but I am just interested in what everyone thinks on how the 2 sets match up.

Well to give you an idea, I exchanged my w900a for a HX950, and it was only on for about 30 min before it went back in the box to return it. The colors were nothing compared to the w900a's triluminous display, and the tv lagged horribly. When I went to use apps it would take forever to load. The w900a is almost instant in loading apps. The blacks were better only when the tv could use local dimming to the max. If the same scene had a mix of black and white, the blacks were not as good as the w900a. From this, I would assume the HX850's black level is the same as the w900a. And then you have input lag. The HX series from sony has around 42ms of input lag while the W802a/W900a have around 17ms.
steve1971's Avatar steve1971
02:58 PM Liked: 316
post #835 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 2,163
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Hey guys isn't the W900A the model that replaced the HX850? I have heard good things about the W900 but why Sony didn't use the Gorilla Glass and Opticontrast panel is beyond me. How does the black levels compare to the HX850? Good, bad or the same? Cnet says they don't match the HX850 but I don't take everything Cnet says to heart anyway. No I don't plan on replacing my new HX850 with a W900 but I am just interested in what everyone thinks on how the 2 sets match up.

Well to give you an idea, I exchanged my w900a for a HX950, and it was only on for about 30 min before it went back in the box to return it. The colors were nothing compared to the w900a's triluminous display, and the tv lagged horribly. When I went to use apps it would take forever to load. The w900a is almost instant in loading apps. The blacks were better only when the tv could use local dimming to the max. If the same scene had a mix of black and white, the blacks were not as good as the w900a. From this, I would assume the HX850's black level is the same as the w900a. And then you have input lag. The HX series from sony has around 42ms of input lag while the W802a/W900a have around 17ms.

So from what you wrote UFO I take it that you believe the W900A is better then the HX950? The HX950 is an XBR model and the W900A is better? Wow never thought I would read something like that! As for the HX850....my apps load pretty fast, much better then my old HX750. As for lag times on my HX850? Once again no problems there but I aint no gamer so lag times don't mean much to me. My tv is for movie and program watching only and I have zero complaints in that department. That being said that's cool that your enjoying your W900A because that's what its all about but again the W900A better then the HX950? Wow!
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
04:40 PM Liked: 206
post #836 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 1,425
Joined: Apr 2007
The only reason the w900a is not labeled "xbr" is because of the 4k sets. If 4k was not out the w900a would be their "xbr" line of tvs. If I had not seen the speed at which the w900a loads apps I most likely would not have cared about it on the hx950, but once you get spoiled by the speed of the w900a theres no going back biggrin.gif
jobble9's Avatar jobble9
06:36 PM Liked: 12
post #837 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 46
Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post

After few days now with 46w905 I noticed first problem with screen. When the scene is moving slowly from left to right in, for example Gran Turismo 6 Demo, and if I fix my eyes on one detail in the center of the screen I can see some strange vertical lines, parallel one to another. It is looking like its's the part of the game engine, and the textures are breaking, but yesterday I notices the same thing in a movie. Is that normal for a screen of that size and the technology in it?

Hey Velimir!

Do these "vertical lines" you talk about appear all over the screen? Do they look like "shadowed" blotches and do they make the screen appear "dirty"? If so, this may be DSE (dirty screen effect) or banding. Let me know!
steve1971's Avatar steve1971
07:32 PM Liked: 316
post #838 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 2,163
Joined: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

The only reason the w900a is not labeled "xbr" is because of the 4k sets. If 4k was not out the w900a would be their "xbr" line of tvs. If I had not seen the speed at which the w900a loads apps I most likely would not have cared about it on the hx950, but once you get spoiled by the speed of the w900a theres no going back biggrin.gif


If you read the Cnet review UFO they say the black levels on the W900A are not as good as the HX850, same thing was said by Home Theater Magazines Tom Norton. And the W900 is the tv that replaced the HX850 for 2013 but that's here nor there. I have to disagree with you saying the W900A would have been an XBR model had it not been for the 4K sets because I believe Sony would have come out with an XBR model to replace the HX950 and I don't think it would have been the W900A. Like I said the W900A is the 2013 replacement model for the HX850 and that's it and the XBR label went to the 4K sets and for good reason I guess. But I will say it once again and that's that as long as you enjoy it that's all that matters in the end.
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
10:04 PM Liked: 206
post #839 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 1,425
Joined: Apr 2007
My statement that the w900a would have been the xbr model came from a sony rep. Now whether the sony rep knows anything is debatable. What I do know though is that both the w900a and x900a share the same features. Both edge-lit with "local dimming", both triluminous. One is 1080p, one is 4K. Obviously the xbr gets a fancier frame and better speakers.
SamoanRedrow's Avatar SamoanRedrow
10:52 PM Liked: 10
post #840 of 5243
07-16-2013 | Posts: 3
Joined: Jul 2013
HI everyone, I'm new to this site and was reading through everyones posts about this set as Im seriously thinking of upgrading to this set .Does anyone know what would be the best picture settings for console gaming on this set?
Tags: Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3