post #1441 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

LOL, EastCoastDude and VintageBullet welcome to the club!!! biggrin.gif
Just remember to go into Preferences > Eco > Light Sensor (set it to off).

Already done good sir smile.gif Also, does having my HDMI set to full affect anything else if I leave it like that ? Everything is going through a receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBullet View Post

Already done good sir smile.gif Also, does having my HDMI set to full affect anything else if I leave it like that ? Everything is going through a receiver.

I manually switch it to full only when I'm playing Xbox. That's because the 360s HDMI doesn't transmit the signal saying it's full RGB when it's set to expanded. Otherwise set it to AUTO. Having it on full might mess with your cable box PQ.
post #1443 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, the 802 would be the previous middle ground.  The KDL-65W850A is a slightly lower pulse rate trilumininus display than the W900.  The 802 is not triluminous.

What's weird to me is the way that the primary models are set up:
Code:
[SIZE=10px]Model   Res   3D   Trilum   Sizes (USA)----------------------------------------R550    2K    P             50/60/70W802    2K    P             47/55W850    2K    A      x      65 <---only.  Huh?W900    2K    A      x      55 <---only.  Huh?X850    4K    A      x      55/65X900    4K    P      x      55/65[/SIZE]

I don't understand why they didn't just make a 65W900A, and possibly make the 850 more of an X901 (even though the speakers aren't there.)  And why this back and forth with active/passive.  Just go passive already

First how do you know that "65W850A is a slightly lower pulse rate trilumininus display than the W900"? What's your source? And what is a lower pulse rate anyway?

The W850 series only supports XR480 (whatever spec that is) - it sounds to me that Sony wants to put some distance between their 4k and HD sets. i just paid 1699 for a W900 from Crutchfield, no tax - it had a minor cosmetic imperfection. Given that you have to sit 4 ft from the XBR 4K equivalent of the W900, I feel like I got the same set as the XBR for about 1/2 the price. Sony might be seeing that in their sales and wants to have a more apparent feature differential between the XBR and W series, hence the 850 w/less Motion enhancement and some obscure lower quality variant of triluminous. If you are at best buy and the 4K image looks great at 8 feet, its probably the Triluminous colors and mastered for 4K media which are producing the wow moment, not the 4K. Essentially, The W900 is (NOT) an XBR in name only.
post #1444 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Just bought one of these over the weekend. Picked it up today. Loving it so far. Quick question, on darker scenes, is it normal to have a lighter coloring on the edges of the screen than center. Im assuming it is normal with edge lit displays. Its not major, but was just curious as Im coming from a Sony SXRD. So lcds are new to me. smile.gif
post #1445 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Sorry if this was posted previously in this thread. I know a lot of people, including myself, have been trying to decide between this TV and the new W850A that's coming out soon. I have just been holding off for reviews. Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but here's the first review I've seen.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony-lcd-tv/sony-kdl65w850a.html

Says the PQ is every bit as impressive as the W900A. So looks like I'll be going with the 850 since I wanted the larger screen size. I just hope the input lag time is just as good as the W900A.
post #1446 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STN57 View Post

Sorry if this was posted previously in this thread. I know a lot of people, including myself, have been trying to decide between this TV and the new W850A that's coming out soon. I have just been holding off for reviews. Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but here's the first review I've seen.

Says the PQ is every bit as impressive as the W900A. So looks like I'll be going with the 850 since I wanted the larger screen size. I just hope the input lag time is just as good as the W900A.

I'm sorry, but that's not a review.  That's a feature summary.   There are no measurements, no settings, no actual viewing discussed.

Marcus

post #1447 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwoor View Post

I'm sorry, but that's not a review.  That's a feature summary.   There are no measurements, no settings, no actual viewing discussed.

Marcus

I've never been on that site before. So you are saying he just says it looks like the W900A without actually testing anything? That's a bad resource for buying TV's then. I'll stay away.
post #1448 of 4900 Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:

I've never been on that site before. So you are saying he just says it looks like the W900A without actually testing anything? That's a bad resource for buying TV's then. I'll stay away.

If you read other reviews on their site, some of them have actual ratings on picture quality, features, etc.  I assume they actually try those TVs.  The other "reviews" are just summaries.  They call them reviews so they get hits on Google.    Personally I find very little useful info on that site.   You will really need to wait until the w850a is more available to get good reviews.

Marcus

post #1449 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 AM

Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbarg View Post

who is "they"?

9-24-2013 2-08-35 PM.jpg 89k .jpg file

QD Vision
Quote:

NTSC 1987, PAL and sRGB are about the same and equal to Rec709.

yes they are
post #1450 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkorn97 View Post

Quick question, on darker scenes, is it normal to have a lighter coloring on the edges of the screen than center.

Quick answer:
Not Normal

you see them only with fullscreen test patterns
if you see them on normal use return the tv.
post #1451 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

TGM1024.. If my memory serves me correctly you own a 60"R550a, I think the passive 3D is so good in that set ; and I am disappointed it is not included in the 65w850a. I will await a few reviews of the 65w, but I am of your mind that it will be almost a clone of the w900 PQ wise. Are you in the market for the 65"W850 ? If you hear any nuggets about it please keep us in the loop. You are one of the few I trust for an honest opinion.

Hey thanks for that!  I appreciate it.

Active 3D is the deal breaker for me, I don't care what the set is.  I'm not in the market for the w850, but I do suspect that they will partially cripple the set with fewer settings.  That seems to be the MO of manufacturers these days: give the lower tiers less (or even very little) to work with in settings even though the underlying panel might be pretty darn good.  And increase the settings control as the models go up.  It seems to be what they did with their R55's.

On the surface, I love the pricing and size options with the W and X 850's (aside from the passive debacle in my chart above).

I honestly have no idea what Sony is thinking here.  On some levels their behavior looks calculated.  On other levels they resemble a stroke victim thrown off a roof.  Confuse us with passive vs. active.  Confuse us with trilum.  Confuse us with numbering.  Confuse us with size offerings.  The attached speaker thing.  And of course the looming 4K/HDMI 2.0 and OLED and curved OLED nonsense in the industry at large makes everything so unsettled that I'm surprised anyone is buying anything at all sometimes.  Perhaps they figured that they have so many configurations possible that they need a period of throwing varying combinations of them out to see what sticks.  All manufacturers go with what sells and tailor things accordingly, but this seems a little too much like thrashing around to me.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1452 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

Quick answer:
Not Normal

you see them only with fullscreen test patterns
if you see them on normal use return the tv.

I should elaborate better, its not the colors that are different, its the black levels that are slighly lighter on the edge of the screen. I have noticed it can change pending where im sitting according to the tv. So Im not sure if its a viewing angle issue with me being too close. The further I sit back the less I can even see it.
post #1453 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 AM

BBC iplayer app?

I'm going nuts, been trying for weeks. I have resetted the tv and set it up to United Kingdom, i have set Unblock us to UK and verified that i have a UK ip adress, but still, i can't find the bbc application on the tv. Anyone else outside the UK or outside the US that have the BBC application?
post #1454 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I should elaborate better, its not the colors that are different, its the black levels that are slighly lighter on the edge of the screen. I have noticed it can change pending where im sitting according to the tv. So Im not sure if its a viewing angle issue with me being too close. The further I sit back the less I can even see it.

Hey,

I just picked up the 46" 905a a few days ago here in Ireland and I have the same issue as you do. Light bleeds from both sides of the screen. It is only visible in black scenes and most of the time in normal light conditions or games it isn't but it's quite disconcerting and I'm unsure as to whether it's normal or not.

I noticed that if I move to the right of the centre of the screen, I see more light bleed from the left and when I move to the left of the centre, I see more from the right side.

I was watching "The Crow" Blu-ray yesterday and since every single scene is so dark, it was quite annoying and I couldn't help noticing it.

Is this a screen defect? Is it due to some picture setting?

After reading so many good things about the TV on these forums + many other website reviews I decided to fo for this one instead of the F8000 due to its lower price and lower input lag but I must say, I'm a tad disappointed for the moment. It's very good looking and the low lag is great for games and the picture is a nice improvement over my previous 40" samsung but I have yet to find settings that I like for Games, Movies and TV. None of the settings I've found online have suited my TV or my tastes and none of them wow me like they've wowed thousands of other owners of this TV.

I'll keep fidgeting with the settings until I'm happy because I'm certain the TV has a LOT of potential once set up correctly!
post #1455 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 09:59 AM

That's exactly what mine has going on. I honestly don't really notice it constantly, but since I got it, I've been going over everything with a fine tooth comb just in case.
post #1456 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Forget the W900A for a moment. Curious: In general, what is it about game mode on TVs that destroys the quality for you? In game mode, it's precisely the pixels you want from the video card, and only the pixels from the video card that you want. At least, this seems to be the ijhg9Rconsensus from the gaming community. You absolutely want to avoid interpolative effects (according to them), and other time consuming algorithms.

post #1457 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherries View Post

Forget the W900A for a moment. Curious: In general, what is it about game mode on TVs that destroys the quality for you? In game mode, it's precisely the pixels you want from the video card, and only the pixels from the video card that you want. At least, this seems to be the consensus from the gaming community. You absolutely want to avoid interpolative effects (according to them), and other time consuming algorithms.

Probably because there is still the sample-and-hold problem causing the smear against your retina, and that can only be undone by having some pulse technology enabled (whatever it may be for your particular TV).  If you think you're in Bizarro-World, I don't blame you, but yes, a kind of flicker is better.  See blurbusters.com if you're interested.  Further, TVs that are bigger have objects travel much further in real-world space.  Having fewer frames exacerbates this issue.  1/60th of a second is a lonnnnng time between frames.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #1458 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 27
Picked up the w900a and am quite impressed, having got it to just about where I want after several days of tweaking.

I have a small amount of light bleed at 4 very specific locations around the top and bottom bezel. 2 on top and 2 on the bottom, each approximately 8" in from the side bezels. The spots are about the size of a penny and point at a 45 degree angle towards the center of the screen. They only show up when anything light appears on the screen, i.e., not apparent when top and bottom are dark (as in 2:35 aspect). You really have to look to see them but I find myself glancing at them simply because I know they exist.

Anyone else see these and know what they represent? Their almost exact spacing in relation to one another might even be over-tightening of the chassis in these specific areas?

I find the colors, contrast, blacks and overall detail extremely pleasing on the set and this is coming from someone who already has 3 plasmas in the house. That's saying much I think.
pg_ice likes this.
post #1459 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 01:52 PM

I was just watching Zero Dark Thirty on my DVR on the tv. It appears to be light bleed from displaying something in the center of the screen during dark scenes. When the progress bar of the Directv overlay shows up when pausing and such, the corners on the bottom get quite a bit lighter and then dim again when it disappears. This could be standard LCD behavior for all I know, Im just new to them so just seeing if anyone notices it. Its not terribly bad or anything, but I cant help but notice it now.
post #1460 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:

This is a drive-by review from the store or based on a press release or a private showing. Not a professional review. This is more of a preview.
post #1461 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM

those of you that have Light Bleed
is it the 46" or 55" ?

im starting to think the 46" have more problem with this.
worse quality control on those?

one question:
im getting a new graphics card in a few days
GTX 780
can you run the W9 at 120hz from a PC?
post #1462 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:

those of you that have Light Bleed
is it the 46" or 55" ?

im starting to think the 46" have more problem with this.
worse quality control on those?

I have a 55. I might be making it a bigger deal than it actually is, like Ive said, Im new to these kind of tvs so I dont know what to expect from LCDs and black scenes.
post #1463 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:

This is a drive-by review from the store or based on a press release or a private showing. Not a professional review. This is more of a preview.

Yeah that's what the other guy said. If this TV ends up being a lot worse than the W900A I'm just going to get the new 65 inch 4k TV without the speakers on the sides.
post #1464 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:

I have a 55. I might be making it a bigger deal than it actually is, like Ive said, Im new to these kind of tvs so I dont know what to expect from LCDs and black scenes.

you should expect a clean image without bleeding even in darker scenes!
hell this is the first LCD that has no signs of Lightbleed or Halos in dark scenes.
my old LG LX950 with Backlight LED was horrible...lots of Halos/Blooming around obejcts.

its even so good that the details looks way better than any other tv i have seen.
thats because of the great backlight with local dimming.

the most times i have said WOW from this tv is just from dark scenes.
ex: the Dark knight Rises has many of these scenes.
8 at backlight and the contrast in dark scenes is unbelievable

the last WOW was from the Singapore F1 race in 1080i HD
just amazing contrast with the dark city backgrounds and the lighted track.

i luv my W9 smile.gif

replace yours is my advice

also remember to have some ambient light in the room.
its like night and day compared to watching in a complete dark room.
then the W9 is just another crappy LCD...almost wink.gif
2-3 small lamps and the blacklevel looks as good as on any OLED TV.
post #1465 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Liked: 12
Guys, any idea why when I set my W9's reference levels to "Auto" and my Xbox 360's to "Expanded", it ends up crushing the blacks? Instead I have to manually set the TV to "Full". Why isn't it interpreting the signal properly on Auto?
post #1466 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobble9 View Post

Guys, any idea why when I set my W9's reference levels to "Auto" and my Xbox 360's to "Expanded", it ends up crushing the blacks? Instead I have to manually set the TV to "Full". Why isn't it interpreting the signal properly on Auto?
I posted about this a while back. Long story short, there's a glitch in the 360 HDMI signal that doesn't give the TV a heads up it's sending a full RGB signal. It's not the TV, it's an Xbox issue.
ali87 likes this.
post #1467 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks Helvetica smile.gif
post #1468 of 4900 Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

you should expect a clean image without bleeding even in darker scenes!
hell this is the first LCD that has no signs of Lightbleed or Halos in dark scenes.
my old LG LX950 with Backlight LED was horrible...lots of Halos/Blooming around obejcts.

its even so good that the details looks way better than any other tv i have seen.
thats because of the great backlight with local dimming.

the most times i have said WOW from this tv is just from dark scenes.
ex: the Dark knight Rises has many of these scenes.
8 at backlight and the contrast in dark scenes is unbelievable

the last WOW was from the Singapore F1 race in 1080i HD
just amazing contrast with the dark city backgrounds and the lighted track.

i luv my W9 smile.gif

replace yours is my advice

also remember to have some ambient light in the room.
its like night and day compared to watching in a complete dark room.
then the W9 is just another crappy LCD...almost wink.gif
2-3 small lamps and the blacklevel looks as good as on any OLED TV.

You are right this is a very good LED, but its not the 1st LED to not have halo's and lightbleed.

Ive got some stuff
post #1469 of 4900 Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

I posted about this a while back. Long story short, there's a glitch in the 360 HDMI signal that doesn't give the TV a heads up it's sending a full RGB signal. It's not the TV, it's an Xbox issue.

Ugh so I hate to be that guy. So what would be the proper video settings to set for the 360 with the KDL-55W900A?
post #1470 of 4900 Old 09-26-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Hey thanks for that!  I appreciate it.

Active 3D is the deal breaker for me, I don't carewhat the set is.  I'm not in the market for the w850, but I do suspect that they will partially cripple the set with fewer settings.  That seems to be the MO of manufacturers these days: give the lower tiers less (or even very little) to work with in settings even though the underlying panel might be pretty darn good.  And increase the settings control as the models go up.  It seems to be what they did with their R55's.

On the surface, I love the pricing and size options with the W and X 850's (aside from the passive debacle in my chart above).

I honestly have no idea what Sony is thinking here.  On some levels their behavior looks calculated.  On other levels they resemble a stroke victim thrown off a roof.  Confuse us with passive vs. active.  Confuse us with trilum.  Confuse us with numbering.  Confuse us with size offerings.  The attached speaker thing.  And of course the looming 4K/HDMI 2.0 and OLED and curved OLED nonsense in the industry at large makes everything so unsettled that I'm surprised anyone is buying anything at all sometimes.  Perhaps they figured that they have so many configurations possible that they need a period of throwing varying combinations of them out to see what sticks.  All manufacturers go with what sells and tailor things accordingly, but this seems a little too much like thrashing around to me.

More on the differences between 900A and 850 - 65". Go to the Sony website and compare the two models using checkmarks. In addition to the lower spec for Motionflow (960 vs 480), only the 900A has a "deep black panel" (whatever that is). That is likely a substantial difference. I just added the 802A to the comparison. Like the 850, the Deep Black Panel box is unchecked. To me its seems clear that the 900A has a superior feature set (at least on paper). In practice, who knows? One other minor difference: The stand on the 850 does not swivel. 850 is also a 120hz panel vs 240 on 900A "http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL65W850A-65-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00ES5YZD6"

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page