Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

have you used any TV's bought from the US, I am thinking of buying a TV from the US and get it shipped here to Mongolia, since I cannot get a good price over here in Mongolia? I am concerned about the voltage difference, do you think KDL-55W900A from US will work on 220V?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastorm View Post

Can anyone tell me if this TV has ghosting issues in game mode or stutter? Most game modes on TV's disable all motion processing which then causes all kinds of ghosting issues and judder.

Also, could someone post some pics of the TV in a dark room while in game mode on a mostly black screen or a black title screen with some text or logo on it etc? I'd like to see how badly game mode effects black levels.

I've been gaming on this Sony set with my 360 and PS3 for two weeks now, and I can say I haven't seen anything that you're asking. Even when you set the t.v. in "game Mode" you still have a lot of options in the menus to adjust the picture. I personally think this t.v. looks really, really, good when playing on both systems, and feel that the white and black levels are very good as well. The only draw-back is when you're sitting off angle, the picture kind of fades. Other than that, I'm extremely happy that I got it.
post #1803 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
^^^^^^^ What he said. ill see if i can try to post some pics in the next day or two

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
post #1804 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anybody have any idea what the Sony 2014 led 1080p lineup would be like.
post #1805 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Tritonheat20, I've owned the TV since May, simply put you won't find a better TV for gaming.
I'm talking about both PQ and lag, the W9 is excellent. For color accuracy it's up there with some of the best plasmas. Can't wait until I get my PS4 this Friday.
post #1806 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone..

has anyone tried BestBuy or Sony's 24 month payment plan? if you miss a payment you're screwed obviously... and I read with BestBuy at least, you might want to pay alittle more than the monthly minimum payment, if you are going to use direct deposit, because BestBuy might/will increase the minimum by alittle bit out of the blue....or something like that.

I can pay off the Sony W900 right now...but I might want to do these payment plans if it buys me time, just in case my car seriously breaks down or something. (its running fine, but I'm a person who is constantly thinking of the just in case scenarios)

also if I buy this TV right now...and for some chance it is on sale at a different location, with in the 14 days...will Both of these places match it and credit me? or only in house sales?
post #1807 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you're nervous about car repairs, I'd set some savings aside and save up until you reach a point you feel like you're financially sound to purchase the TV. Payment plans are kinda nasty since you're going to be spending a whole lot more on the TV than you originally would.
post #1808 of 5097 Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Tritonheat20, I've owned the TV since May, simply put you won't find a better TV for gaming.
I'm talking about both PQ and lag, the W9 is excellent. For color accuracy it's up there with some of the best plasmas. Can't wait until I get my PS4 this Friday.

Couldn't agree more... Just has that fading issue when you sit off to the side is about the only complaint that I have right now. And that's not really a big deal either. It's just noticeable.
post #1809 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

If you're nervous about car repairs, I'd set some savings aside and save up until you reach a point you feel like you're financially sound to purchase the TV. Payment plans are kinda nasty since you're going to be spending a whole lot more on the TV than you originally would.

I've never financed anything before.... but I was talking about something like this.

"pay no interest if paid in full within 24 months. Interest will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the promotional balance is not paid in full within 24 months. Minimum monthly payments required."

if I paid in full within the 24 months...is there anything else that would cause the final price to be more than the regular price???
post #1810 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post

Hi there, three months later with my W46905 and I'm back to see if there is anything new on the problem...

So...the lines. Been playing a lot of GTA 5 lately, Beyond: Two Souls, Rayman Legends,... and I can confirm, these lines are inevitable, present on 20 - 40% of all the dark scenes when picture is "moving from left to right or right to left". I'll try to describe them as "vertical blocks", 3-4 cm wide, which occupy the whole screen from top to bottom. Let's say I'm driving a car in GTA 5 at dawn or night, and going straight - no lines, no "blocks" on screen. But as soon as I turn left or right in a car, and my eyes are still looking at the same spot at the centre of the screen, those "vertical blocks" apear. Tried all the settings, resetting, changing modes, scenes, nope. It's the limitation of edge LED technology I guess? Maybe there is a term to use for those lines or blocks at this LED technnology confused.gif I would just like to know if you guys, other gamers also see them while playing? They are also present while watching movies, but are rarely noticeable. I made a picture in paint to quickly visualize the problem as I see it. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Velimir, I've had my W9 since June, have been gaming and watching movies and never noticed any lines. If it's that bad you might want to call Sony and have it looked at.

From time to time, especially after long gaming hours in GTA or, GT5, I go on forums, google etc. to try to find if the effect I'm seeing is normal. English is not my first language, so it's kinda hard for me to fully describe and explain the things I see but today I bumped into term: "Banding". And that's IT! Vertical banding is what I'm seeing and what is really anoying on W9. The guy here is describing the problem very well:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/led-lcd-vertical-banding-heart-broken

"I'm onto my second F8000 and am just about to exchange it. The banding is horrible. I can't even enjoy the new GTA 5 without looking into the blue sky to see this banding effect. "

And this video is just like I made it, only on W9... the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoT_BuBCAM

Are you guys noticing anything like it, and is this normal for LEDs?
post #1811 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 06:05 AM

@afrikan just don't make any other purchases on the card. Buy only the TV. Then, just do the math based on the promotional period to find your true minimum payment. Example: 2000 TV / 24 months = $83.33 a month.

Best Buy will say your minimum is only $25. They do this so you (hopefully) don't pay off the purchase within the promotional period as then they can tack on all the deferred interest.
post #1812 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 12:10 PM

thankx hauz20, yeah I'll probably do $100 a month automatic payment....until of course, I come close to paying it off before the 24 months.
post #1813 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Hi w900a owners......  I am getting my tv shipped to me this week...I went to take a look at it at best buy and I noticed with the demo there was some pixilation with high speed movement. Is this the stores feed? Do you get this when viewing your tv's? It has me slightly worried because last week I so the tv at futureshop as well an it had the same pixilation/artifacts, on mothe the 4k and the w900 I figured that it was the source because all of the floor models where running off the same source... anyways let me know if you guys that own the w900a are experiencing these problems? 

post #1814 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 PM

Hi Guys

I have just purchased the w900a based on all the awesome reviews I have read on this forum and other review sites. So far so good, but I am not sure if everything is right.

On many review sites they mention the "Cenima1" in the picture display settings, which I do not have. I only have the "Custom", "Standard" and "Vivid"

Am I missing something?

post #1815 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

Hi w900a owners......  I am getting my tv shipped to me this week...I went to take a look at it at best buy and I noticed with the demo there was some pixilation with high speed movement. Is this the stores feed? Do you get this when viewing your tv's? It has me slightly worried because last week I so the tv at futureshop as well an it had the same pixilation/artifacts, on mothe the 4k and the w900 I figured that it was the source because all of the floor models where running off the same source... anyways let me know if you guys that own the w900a are experiencing these problems?

You mean when things get slightly out of focus when the picture is moving? if so, I do have it, and I thought there was something wrong with my settings, but now that you've mentioned it , I am worried.

post #1816 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Hello and thank you for all the information in this thread.

I ordered my KDL-55W905A last week and I am already really looking forward to it. 

There are still some unanswered questions for me which I would like to know during my "waiting period".

1. Can the TV be controlled via Bluetooth as well? I am owning a Logitech Harmony Touch Ultimate and would like to control the TV via Bluetooth instead of IR that I don't have to put an IR sender in front of the panel.

2. Can the DTS-HD / Dolby Digital signal be channeled via HDMI from my PS3/4 to the TV and use the optical digital audio cable from the TV to my Logitech Z906 system or do I need a direct optical cable from the PS3/4 to the audio system?

3. I would love to use my Kingston DTHX30 128GB stick for recording shows and time-shift. Does anybody see any exclusion criterion for that? Can the records be watched on a Mac or PC as well or is Sony using an own locked file format?

Thank you so much for helping me with this questions.

post #1817 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsavvy View Post

You mean when things get slightly out of focus when the picture is moving? if so, I do have it, and I thought there was something wrong with my settings, but now that you've mentioned it , I am worried.

I hope that only happens when the motion flow is set to "smooth" I had this on my xbr909.. game mode should make that problem go away completely.

Question how is the banding? i noticed some people complained about it... I really hope a get a banding free tv....(i thought banding was a thing of the past)

what do you mean by out of focus? That might be normal...

post #1818 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

I hope that only happens when the motion flow is set to "smooth" I had this on my xbr909.. game mode should make that problem go away completely.

Question how is the banding? i noticed some people complained about it... I really hope a get a banding free tv....(i thought banding was a thing of the past)

what do you mean by out of focus? That might be normal...

is there some settings tips that I can use to make the best out of this TV? I've tried the Cnet settings using "Custom" instead of "Cenima1" (My w900a does not have "Cenima1" and I bought it from the US), and the settings just sucked so badly.

I have not seen any banding on mine, is that problem more present in the gaming mode which I have not tried yet? but I really hope that the gaming mode would make this TV worth it, as I bought it for the PS4, and so far I can honestly say that the Samsung (((LOWER END TVS))) really do beat the hick out of the sony w900a. As the quality of the w900a is "slightly" better, which makes the difference too small to be worth the price tag.

Maybe I am wrong

post #1819 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsavvy View Post

On many review sites they mention the "Cenima1" in the picture display settings, which I do not have. I only have the "Custom", "Standard" and "Vivid"
I'm not sure about a "cenima" mode, but surely there is a "cinema" mode.

You are in "Scene select = General". in Scene General, there are the picture modes Standard, Custom and Vivid.

Switch to Scene Select Cinema, and there you go. Other Scene Presets are Sport, Music, Animation, Photo, Game, and Graphics.
post #1820 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11
I picked up one of these last night and so far I have to say I'm not very impressed. This tv has terrible viewing angles and quite a bit of ghosting in game mode and some banding issues. If your'e just slightly off from dead center the edges of the picture fade and blacks appear purplish.

Input lag is good in game mode standard but not so hot in game mode original and terrible in every other setting. I don't know at this point if the PQ sacrifice, ghosting issues, small 55" size, and high price point is worth it for very low input lag.

Does anyone have any experience with the Panasonic S64 series plasmas? I've never owned a plasma before but I'm really sick of LCD ghosting and picture uniformity issues.

Input lag test results on the 52A750

"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
post #1821 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Surprised that some are having issues with their Sony.. My guess is either it's a setting issue or some kind of setting on their top box depending on who your provider is. Some providers will have better PQ than others due to their hardware is better and some do not push out full 1080p only 720p. As far as gaming same thing depends on the console and settings on the TV it will always vary from each manufacture. Plasma I would not go with due to Panasonic already announced they were going to stop production in 2014. So Plasma is a dying technology that never did really take off kind of like 3D.  Overall it will always come down to your TV Provider Hardware,Settings and what your TV can handle. 

post #1822 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti-F1 View Post

So Plasma is a dying technology that never did really take off kind of like 3D.

Your kidding, right? Plasma is known as the king of PQ, with pioneer starting to sell the technology around 1997. The problem is that plasma tech is more of an enthusiast display technology because of its requirements (low room lighting, high power consumption, weight, ect..) but it rewards you with unparalleled picture quality. The new OLED technology is a refresh of plasma, with an attempt to fix the shortcomings. They are stopping production because the general population who walk into bestbuy gets sold on gimmicks such as "smooth motion" and "LED" or "low power consumption". It annoys me when people call these LCD tv's "LED". How come no one called LCD tv's "CCFL" tv's back when they used cold cathodes? The TV market is currently about making money on cheap gimmicks, not having the best PQ like it used to be.
post #1823 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 PM

@UFO hear, hear. Well said.
post #1824 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:

I picked up one of these last night and so far I have to say I'm not very impressed. This tv has terrible viewing angles and quite a bit of ghosting in game mode and some banding issues. If your'e just slightly off from dead center the edges of the picture fade and blacks appear purplish.

Input lag is good in game mode standard but not so hot in game mode original and terrible in every other setting. I don't know at this point if the PQ sacrifice, ghosting issues, small 55" size, and high price point is worth it for very low input lag.

Does anyone have any experience with the Panasonic S64 series plasmas? I've never owned a plasma before but I'm really sick of LCD ghosting and picture uniformity issues.

The viewing angles on Led tvs is not the best to begin with, and i think this set has a better viewing angle than the f8000 i returned. I have not experienced any of the other issue of ghosting in game mode and i have played alot of games so far lol. Check your source and make sure your connections are good, also try to go directly to the tv and skip the receiver.

I am a huge fan of plasma but Plasma is being phased out by Panasonic who is the top manufacture at the moment. My choices were a ZT plasma, F9000, X900 or the W900. I decided to wait on the 4k and give the Sony a try and i am very happy so far (knock on wood lol), Did you turn off the Light sensor option in Preferences under the Eco tab? That made a huggge difference for me.

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
post #1825 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaduxx View Post

The viewing angles on Led tvs is not the best to begin with, and i think this set has a better viewing angle than the f8000 i returned. I have not experienced any of the other issue of ghosting in game mode and i have played alot of games so far lol. Check your source and make sure your connections are good, also try to go directly to the tv and skip the receiver.

I am a huge fan of plasma but Plasma is being phased out by Panasonic who is the top manufacture at the moment. My choices were a ZT plasma, F9000, X900 or the W900. I decided to wait on the 4k and give the Sony a try and i am very happy so far (knock on wood lol), Did you turn off the Light sensor option in Preferences under the Eco tab? That made a huggge difference for me.

I just turned off the light sensor per your suggestion. I'll see if that changes things much.

The low input lag is really nice in "game standard" mode but the PQ is pretty bad in that setting and if you switch it to Warm 2 to correct the colors the increase in lag is pretty noticeable. Hopefully OLED will have low input lag because it looks like a very promising technology. I have a few weeks to decide if I'm going to keep this I guess. Unfortunately I bought it from the Sony store and they said there's a 15 percent restocking fee.

"Maybe the input lag on this set matches the lag in your head therefore you don't perceive it".
post #1826 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I just turned off the light sensor per your suggestion. I'll see if that changes things much.

The low input lag is really nice in "game standard" mode but the PQ is pretty bad in that setting and if you switch it to Warm 2 to correct the colors the increase in lag is pretty noticeable. Hopefully OLED will have low input lag because it looks like a very promising technology. I have a few weeks to decide if I'm going to keep this I guess. Unfortunately I bought it from the Sony store and they said there's a 15 percent restocking fee.

I will look at my settings when i am in game mode, i have experienced really good PQ while playing GTA 5 and BF3. Oled is going to be good but currently a 3 to 4 year life expectancy is pretty bad. I mean i will prob change TV's before that but i would still like to shift that tv to another room.

Let me know if that light sensor setting make a difference for you, i know it did for me.

post #1827 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:

First off, what games are you playing? And on what system? I'm using my 360 and PS3 for over two weeks now, and I haven't seen one game that has any ghosting or banding issues! You talking offline; or online gaming? We've all posted that there's a little bit of picture fade when off-angle, so that's not something new that hasn't already been posted if you've been following this thread. If you read back into this thread, "UFO" used a testing device to measure game lag, and he didn't find any difference between the modes you're posting about. Not implying that he's the standard for this set, but I haven't had one issue since I've had mine. We're all different though...
post #1828 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 PM

I am kind of worried, I posted a few days ago, I am getting my 2011 XBR with the w900a next week. And I have read on the forums that some people received refurbished tv's. In the email that I received from Sony they did not mention anything about a refurbished model. Have any of you heard of Sony doing this? I am also worried about the banding I am hearing, I had a ****** time   a few years ago with the samsung 8000 series had 3 of them all had serious banding and very bad clouding. I just hope that this isn't going to be a repeat of that...

Also Sony is sending the set in the mail does that mean refurbished set 100%

A bit bummed out... I feel like it will be a hit or miss when I receive my new tv... I really thought banding/clouding would have been resolved already..These were problems in 2008......

post #1829 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritonheat20 View Post

First off, what games are you playing? And on what system? I'm using my 360 and PS3 for over two weeks now, and I haven't seen one game that has any ghosting or banding issues! You talking offline; or online gaming? We've all posted that there's a little bit of picture fade when off-angle, so that's not something new that hasn't already been posted if you've been following this thread. If you read back into this thread, "UFO" used a testing device to measure game lag, and he didn't find any difference between the modes you're posting about. Not implying that he's the standard for this set, but I haven't had one issue since I've had mine. We're all different though...

I've been testing with BF3 on the PS3. The input lag is way better than on my old Samsung LN52A750 but the PQ is quite a bit worse in several ways. I knew there would be some trade off for extremely low input lag but I wasn't expecting such bad viewing angle issues and the horizontal banding that I'm seeing (while watching tv primarily in scenes where the camera pans up or down).

I definitely don't want to make anyone feel bad about this TV if you're happy with it. I guess I'm just a little surprised that so far my 4-5 year old Samsung looks better PQ wise overall. The Samsung is virtually worthless for gaming though which is why I've been on the lookout for a replacement for it.

post #1830 of 5097 Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:

I've been testing with BF3 on the PS3. The input lag is way better than on my old Samsung LN52A750 but the PQ is quite a bit worse in several ways. I knew there would be some trade off for extremely low input lag but I wasn't expecting such bad viewing angle issues and the horizontal banding that I'm seeing (while watching tv primarily in scenes where the camera pans up or down).

I definitely don't want to make anyone feel bad about this TV if you're happy with it. I guess I'm just a little surprised that so far my 4-5 year old Samsung looks better PQ wise overall. The Samsung is virtually worthless for gaming though which is why I've been on the lookout for a replacement for it.

I am not feeling bad about my purchase but sorry your not completely happy with your tv, maybe the tv, cable or input is bad itself? I have been reading through the forums for a while and have not seen many issues with the Sony vs the Samsung. I have played the same game with Xbox 360 and have had great PQ experience with great colors, low input lag and good black levels (brightness levels up for game mode).

also, did that setting change help your PQ for normal tv/movie viewing?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread