Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 4925 Old 11-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got mine today! No flashlights or ghosting - looks perfect.
Thanks to all who provided settings - I used an average of the ones that were posted (which were pretty close to each other).

The only question I have is what does the little remote do? Mine only seems to turn the power on/off. Nothing else seemed to work.

I also did a firmware update, though it didn't say what version was added. I'll try to figure out which one it was (still learning on this set).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 4925 Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Liked: 15
Im convinced w900a serial number 6010000 to 6020000 has clouding and ghosting defects
post #1983 of 4925 Old 11-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Is there a Sony tv in the 2013 lineup to feature gorilla glass finish?
post #1984 of 4925 Old 11-22-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 12

give these settings a try....i have tested the true cinema motion flow and it holds up well to these settings, there was zero artifacts, the details held up really well when panning this eliminates texture shimmering/flashing) When playing fps online I use game mode, with detail/edge off..

Picture Mode Cinema 1
Backlight  8
Picture 95
Brightness 50
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 1
Sharpness 52
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Off 
Video Area Detection Off [greyed out]
Resolution Min [greyed out]
Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow true cinema 
CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu
Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Medium
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off
White Balance [see below]
Detail Enhancer mediumf
Edge Enhancer medium
Skin Naturalizer Off [greyed out]
Display Speed Preference Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -3
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias +1

Preferences->Scene Select: Cinema

--Eco sub-menu
Power Saving: Off
Scene Select Sync Off

post #1985 of 4925 Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotonedkiller View Post

Im convinced w900a serial number 6010000 to 6020000 has clouding and ghosting defects

Your theory is correct for mine
post #1986 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

give these settings a try....i have tested the true cinema motion flow and it holds up well to these settings, there was zero artifacts, the details held up really well when panning this eliminates texture shimmering/flashing) When playing fps online I use game mode, with detail/edge off..

Picture Mode Cinema 1
Backlight  8
Picture 95
Brightness 50
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 1
Sharpness 52
Noise Reduction Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Off 
Video Area Detection Off [greyed out]
Resolution Min [greyed out]
Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow true cinema 
CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu
Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Medium
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off
White Balance [see below]
Detail Enhancer mediumf
Edge Enhancer medium
Skin Naturalizer Off [greyed out]
Display Speed Preference Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -3
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias +1

Preferences->Scene Select: Cinema

--Eco sub-menu
Power Saving: Off
Scene Select Sync Off

I do not have the "Cinema1" in the picture mode, I only get to choose between "Vivid, Standard or custom"

am I missing something?

post #1987 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 02:07 AM

Never mind, just found it. Looks nice with these settings, but colors do not vibrate as they would with the Vivid

post #1988 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Well the xbox one works the same way as the 360. You must keep HDMI dynamic range set to full when X1 is outputting full range. What cool about
The X1 it supports 24, 30 and 36 bit screens. I selected 36 bit but I'm thinking that might be overkill? Anyway the X1 looks great on the w9, I will post pictures soon!
post #1989 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 AM

I set my Xbox One to 36-bit color too and it looks great with my 55w900a. 36 bit means Deep color which our set does support.

Do you have Forza? At the beginning it has a brightness test. With the range set to Full, I don't see the Forza logo at all, but if it is set to Limited I see the logo correctly. The brightness test says you should see the Forza logo in the black box.
post #1990 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 AM

vivid is nice if you want total piping colours, but cinema has a more natural look if you want more pop bring up the picture and backlight

post #1991 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 AM

i am getting an xbox one soon...my ps4 looks awesome on it...post Xone pics would like to see the colour 

post #1992 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

I love having the deep color option on the Xbox One, I hope it's added to the PS4 soon.
This is compressed but the colors are punchy.

post #1993 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 AM

the ps3 had better adjustments......my ps4  settings at full looks worse....

post #1994 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know what type of panel the 40" version uses. I know the 46/55" versions use PSA/PVA panels, but I know the 40" uses a different panel but can't find out what it is. If anyone has any info, or better yet any macro shots of the panel showing pixel structure I would be most grateful. cheers, CJ
post #1995 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Go to preferences - scene select then cinema, go back to picture and display - picture adjustment and picture mode and You'll get all the setings.

post #1996 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty24 View Post

I set my Xbox One to 36-bit color too and it looks great with my 55w900a. 36 bit means Deep color which our set does support.

Do you have Forza? At the beginning it has a brightness test. With the range set to Full, I don't see the Forza logo at all, but if it is set to Limited I see the logo correctly. The brightness test says you should see the Forza logo in the black box.

Smithy I did the exact same thing! lol! I do have Forza. If you go into picture & display > pro picture set up > dynamic range > sett it to full not automatic.
You will see the forza logo when the xbox is outputting full range. The W9 can't detect full range when it's set to auto.
post #1997 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canafan View Post

Go to preferences - scene select then cinema, go back to picture and display - picture adjustment and picture mode and You'll get all the setings.
I thought you had to choose the game mode in order to reduce lag. I've tried the cinema mode, but it feels far less responsive then the game mode.
post #1998 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Smithy I did the exact same thing! lol! I do have Forza. If you go into picture & display > pro picture set up > dynamic range > sett it to full not automatic.
You will see the forza logo when the xbox is outputting full range. The W9 can't detect full range when it's set to auto.
Thanks ! smile.gif
post #1999 of 4925 Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Actually forget what I said about RGB full on Xbox one. It's weird. I ran the spears & Munsil disk and with full it clipped the video range horribly. Look at the pic!. The test pattern was with full and the dynamic range set to full.

I have no idea why it worked on Forza! Deep color doesn't effect the test pattern.

Set to limited.
post #2000 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 AM

Hi, I'm new here, do you think I'll be able to pick up this set for $1799 on Black Friday? I'm hoping an authorized dealer sells it for $1799 on Black Friday, so that I can get Abt to price match. I have a PS4 and an Xbox One, and I'm really excited to use both with a new TV!

post #2001 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Actually forget what I said about RGB full on Xbox one. It's weird. I ran the spears & Munsil disk and with full it clipped the video range horribly. Look at the pic!. The test pattern was with full and the dynamic range set to full.

I have no idea why it worked on Forza! Deep color doesn't effect the test pattern.

Set to limited.

Will receive my Xbox One tomorrow.

What are the settings to look for ?

36 bit limited ?

post #2002 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 AM

After spending many hours reading this forum I went to PC Richards to purchase the W900a. I also bought a Sony blue ray player, Sony sound bar and a 32 inch Samsung for my parents. They gave me a package deal so I was happy. The Sony sales rep was in the store talking about 4k and comparing it to the W900a. The 65 inch 4k with good demo materiel is amazing but to expensive. I mentioned I liked the stand better on the W802a. He said if I bought the 902 he would give me the 802 stand. How is that for customization. The picture is amazing and I am also impressed with the Sony CT 660 sound bar. Can anyone repost settings for the vivd mode? Thanks for everyones help.
post #2003 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonytvincent View Post

Hi, I'm new here, do you think I'll be able to pick up this set for $1799 on Black Friday? I'm hoping an authorized dealer sells it for $1799 on Black Friday, so that I can get Abt to price match. I have a PS4 and an Xbox One, and I'm really excited to use both with a new TV!

That's a good question! I spent a good while at several different Best Buys comparing the W900 to the Samsung 8000 they had right next to it, as well as the Sony 550 series right below it. I have to say, the Samsung 8000 is impressive but it is hundreds of $ more expensive. But it does seem the W900 is the closest LED I've seen to plasma color quality. Actually the Sony 550 was not bad at all, and superior in overall detail to the Samsung 7100 series.

The problem is that the W900 runs $1999 at BB and I can get a 70" Sony 550 for a couple hundred dollars more. Since the TV will be mounted on the wall of our bedroom, about 12 feet from our eyes, the extra real estate of the 70" 550 is attractive, and the wife wants it as big as she can get it wink.gif, so she can view it without her glasses having to be on. But, man, that W900 is beautiful to look at. I wonder if the 550 series can be calibrated to produce the colors of the W900?

post #2004 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

[...]
On the other hand - if it worked on Forza, then it did work on Forza. Or not? smile.gif

I've no clue what's going on in the X'one there, but keep in mind that "video playback" is a different story than normal gaming. Per standard, videos are always coded in limited 16-235 in YUV color model, games are rendered in 0-255 RGB color model. That's two different ballgames, and it's quite possible that this is the root of your observation.
post #2005 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post

On the other hand - if it worked on Forza, then it did work on Forza. Or not? smile.gif

I've no clue what's going on in the X'one there, but keep in mind that "video playback" is a different story than normal gaming. Per standard, videos are always coded in limited 16-235 in YUV color model, games are rendered in 0-255 RGB color model. That's two different ballgames, and it's quite possible that this is the root of your observation.

Didee I believe you are correct!!
My theory is:
The Xbox One has a separate app for playing BluRays. I think the app displays in the native YCbCr color range (16-235) automatically.
If RGB full is selected in the dashboard the BluRay app fight the RGB display option and the video range gets badly clipped.
There should be a separate YCbCr color range setting like the PS4 has.
post #2006 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 11:16 AM

I've had this w900a for a over week now, before this I had bought a Samsung F7100 that I returned. Last year I had an HX850 that I also returned.
I also bought and kept a lower tier LG TV.
The F7100 I returned because the colors just did not pop as much a I was hoping even after a week of trying to get it right.
Also if you are like me and watch OTA broadcasts then the F7100 is not for you. There is no add digital channels or manual adding digital channels only full auto scan.
In addition the signal meter is basically useless. The W900a on the other hand has an excellent tuner, add digital channels feature and a good signal meter.
Unfortunately, it does not have manual scan like LG. Also the w900a does not recognize a digital channel if you type just the channel number like LG or Samsung.
You have to type in the full format like 17.1. Also if two channels are received on the same RF frequency it can cause virtual channel problems.
The F7100 has a much better guide, where the W900a may tell you what is on right now but nothing else. And like my old sony w5100 it still can not get the clock right. Samsung and LG
almost instantly will pick up the correct time after a restart or power failure. The W900a you just have manually set it often.
Seems like it should be able to do these things as even the cheapest digital converter boxes do.

The f7100 did have slightly better uniformity that the sony, but that certainly does not equate to better PQ. The color was kind of flat looking, and I found the whites too harsh. Similar to what I
experienced going from Window XP to Windows 7. The colours on the W900a are certainly much nicer. Though I wish the live colour was implemented better like on my old W5100 where I used it's low
setting. On the w900a even the low setting is way too strong pushing reds, blues and greens way beyond realistic. Too bad there wasn't a "very low" setting.

I know the HX850 had excellent reviews, but for me I thought the colours were terrible. The blues where too purple for my taste. Also compared side by side to the W5100 it just was not as pleasing
or realistic. So I returned it.

Overall I am happy with W900a, the picture quality is certainly better than my much cheaper LG. Though I wish it had come in a 46" size. I found that 55" is too big and just not quite as sharp as the 46" LG.
post #2007 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks like this set isn't for me. I got my replacement set, and while it doesn't have the horizontal dark strips/spots that I showed in earlier pictures, the very edges (vertically) are even darker, which is just as noticeable and annoying with normal content.

I'm honestly not sure what to do as far as a replacement TV goes. The only TV that competes in terms of picture quality is the Samsung F8000, but the input lag is unacceptably high. Lower PQ sets aren't really an option, because even the W900A hasn't impressed me much - the picture often looks soft and the colors don't appear all that accurate. It also seems like you're doomed to motion bur if you don't like the soap opera effect, as every Motionflow setting seems to produce it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Plasma isn't an option since Panasonic's entire 2013 lineup has serious line bleed issues that drove me to return a S60 that otherwise has a great picture. I'm thinking my best bet might be to wait until 2014 and see what comes out.
post #2008 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 12:13 PM

I have reviewed previous post and I see settings from Cinema 1 and Standard. Does anyone use Vidid mode and what settings. Thanks
post #2009 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWells55 View Post

Looks like this set isn't for me. I got my replacement set, and while it doesn't have the horizontal dark strips/spots that I showed in earlier pictures, the very edges (vertically) are even darker, which is just as noticeable and annoying with normal content.

I'm honestly not sure what to do as far as a replacement TV goes. The only TV that competes in terms of picture quality is the Samsung F8000, but the input lag is unacceptably high. Lower PQ sets aren't really an option, because even the W900A hasn't impressed me much - the picture often looks soft and the colors don't appear all that accurate. It also seems like you're doomed to motion bur if you don't like the soap opera effect, as every Motionflow setting seems to produce it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Plasma isn't an option since Panasonic's entire 2013 lineup has serious line bleed issues that drove me to return a S60 that otherwise has a great picture. I'm thinking my best bet might be to wait until 2014 and see what comes out.

Well, AVS forum people might scoff, but have you seen the Toshiba L7300 series? I've been researching and viewing TVs for about a month now, and I keep coming back to the 65" Toshiba 65L7300 they have on display at Sears. They have it next to Sharp Dual Core and Quattron, as well as Samsung 7100 models. They also have the Sony W900A on the same demo loop, but at the other end of the row of TVs.

The 65L7300 has about the sharpest picture of any of them in the store(although I would reduce the sharpness from where they have it), with incredible detail on the scenery shots of the demo loop. It also seems to have as good motion performance as any of the other TVs there, including the Quattron. The colors are a bit too hot in the demo settings, but could be turned down. I don't think it is going to challenge plasma for color accuracy, but I haven't seen a LED set yet that does. It's on sale for $1599, which is sweet for a panel that good. Toshiba also makes a 58" in that series, for around $1100. I'm not sure about any flashlighting or clouding issues as it is so bright in the store. As to input lag, I am not a gamer and don't know anything about that.

post #2010 of 4925 Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Ok I'm in my final days of decision now. W900A vs. Samsung 8000. Looks like BB is lowering Samsung prices (hopefully the Sony will follow). The 8000 was +$500 vs the W900A in 55 inch. Now it's only $100 or $200.

In all my research, feels like the main differences in real world use are that A) Sony is deeper and richer and B) samsung is brighter. I'd been 99% sure on the Sony but the price change has me second guessing a bit. Plus that Samsung comes in a 60-inch, which is swaying me a little.

Good problem to have, choosing between two great sets!

Thanks everyone who has chimed in. Any last thoughts? Next week: Turkey, stuffing and new TV!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page