Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #2071 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had this tv for 2 weeks now and let me tell you it's simply awesome, Its definitely the best none 4k tv that you can buy. I will post my calibration setting so far when I get home.... Been games on the ps4 are simply awesome.. so happy with this set...

The 3d is amazing but needs to be properly calibrated, and blue rays look outstanding...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

I have a hx850 so my model is a bit different but I find your backlit setting pretty high. Are these settings for daytime, full sunlight viewing? If this is mostly from night time/basement, I would recommand lowering your backlit to 3-4 to see if you have ab improvement.

In your settings, you are not mentionning the scene you are currently using. Are you switching scene depending on content or input? Most people will go to the game scene when playing games to lower input lag. Most will switch to Cinema scene to Watch movies like blurays. Some will go to General or keep cinema scene for regular tv depending on préferences.

I would be curious if you notice this with a backlit of 3/4 in Cinema scene. It could just be a bad batch of sets. You said you tried multiple set, were they all coming from the same store? Most store will get units often manufactured togheter in a batch. So if there was an issue on assembling the units that day, most units on that batch may be affected. I went through 4 HX850 myself because of really bad flashlighting in the lower bottom corners. I ended up keeping the "less bad" one because the TV was still amazing. Good for me with time, the flashlighting diminish to the point that even on credits or when there are black bars in movies, I don't even see it anymore.

I do use game scene for games. Standard for internet videos. Ill try and see if lowering it will help. If not ill probably exchange again
post #2073 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post

Other people spread misinformation as well. Even some so-called "review sites" ...
Sure as anything the W9 has the LEDs left+right. For the HX850 I'm not fully sure ATM, but I would bet it was also lit left+right. Especially if a set features "local" dimming (as far as "edge" can be "local"), the problem with top+bottom lighting is that you can not-at-all dim the black bars of widescreen movies. That's only possible with left+right lighting.
Of course.

No the HX850 led are located at the top and bottom. I am 100% sure. I have one and I also saw pictures of a teardown of my TV that confirmes it.

I'm looking into the W900a but can't seem to find a teardown with picture being done on that model. I'll look it up but I still believe that it should be top and bottom. Sony has moved toward that model since their were having issues espicially on biggest tv with led located to the left and right because the distance between both is further than top and bottom and created a dark picture in the middle.

On the other hand, if you can provide evidence that the leds on this model are located left and right, that would also settle the case.
post #2074 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotonedkiller View Post

I do use game scene for games. Standard for internet videos. Ill try and see if lowering it will help. If not ill probably exchange again

let say you are watching a movie, either full screen or with black bars in cinema mode with led dynamic control to standard. Are you still seeing this on your set? If so, then their might be an issue with assembly after all. If this is similar physically to flashlighting (miss assembly, different pressure being applied on the panel, it may be possible that with time, the effect may diminish with time. I understand that it's a chance you are taking and an expansive TV so I would understand someone not willing to take it. What I would say is that if its small enough, to the point that it's only visible in specific situation, and that with regular content being display, it's not visible, then you may consider the possibility that the issue will improve with time. That's what happen with my flashlighting problem on my HX850.

The hardest part with a new TV is trying not to focus on the possible flaws. 3 years ago I went to shop for a TV and after trying 6 different TVs, all of which had different flaws, I gave up. Last year, I tried again to find a good TV, I went through 3 tvs before settling down on the HX850. I came to the realization that there are just no perfect TV out there. Manufacturing quality is not what it used to be and most companies transfered production from Japan to Mexico where it's cheaper to produce but introduce manufacturing defects. The HX850 was the best set I could get my hands on last year, I love it. The only thing I had issue with was the flashlighting in both lower corner. I went through 3 different TV, at one point, I physically had 3 HX850 at home, I decided to pick the best one and return the other 2.

You know what? I can't even see those problems anymore. I think part of it is that I don't look for them anymore and just enjoy the great picture and content. The other part is as the panel aged, through warming up for hours of uses, it seems that the clouding and espicially the flashlighting issues have lessen with them to the point when even what I look for it, it's hard to see. I even was able to bump up my backlit by a few spots and still can't see the issue my set used to have.

My only remaining regret about my hx850 is that I didn't listen to all those advices I was given about the fact I should have went bigger than what I wanted. I got a 46" and now wish I had went with the 55". On the other hand, my 46" had no banding issues which seems a bit more common on the 55" and up. That's part of the reason I'm looking into the w900a, as a possible upgrade to my hx850 but bigger.
New2HD likes this.
post #2075 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer View Post

I picked one of these up at Fry's last Saturday for 1799.00.  They had it listed at 1999.00, but with negotiation I was able to get them to 1799.00.  Go FRY's!

I had previously bought the UN60F7100, but it was plagued by poor picture quality and bad BAD flashlighting.  I had to pay a re-stocking fee to get rid of it, but it was well worth it.  This w900a has an amazing picture and no flashlighting, I am very happy with it.
Hi, how were you able to bring the price down to $1799?
post #2076 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

Quote:

let say you are watching a movie, either full screen or with black bars in cinema mode with led dynamic control to standard. Are you still seeing this on your set? If so, then their might be an issue with assembly after all. If this is similar physically to flashlighting (miss assembly, different pressure being applied on the panel, it may be possible that with time, the effect may diminish with time. I understand that it's a chance you are taking and an expansive TV so I would understand someone not willing to take it. What I would say is that if its small enough, to the point that it's only visible in specific situation, and that with regular content being display, it's not visible, then you may consider the possibility that the issue will improve with time. That's what happen with my flashlighting problem on my HX850.

The hardest part with a new TV is trying not to focus on the possible flaws. 3 years ago I went to shop for a TV and after trying 6 different TVs, all of which had different flaws, I gave up. Last year, I tried again to find a good TV, I went through 3 tvs before settling down on the HX850. I came to the realization that there are just no perfect TV out there. Manufacturing quality is not what it used to be and most companies transfered production from Japan to Mexico where it's cheaper to produce but introduce manufacturing defects. The HX850 was the best set I could get my hands on last year, I love it. The only thing I had issue with was the flashlighting in both lower corner. I went through 3 different TV, at one point, I physically had 3 HX850 at home, I decided to pick the best one and return the other 2.

You know what? I can't even see those problems anymore. I think part of it is that I don't look for them anymore and just enjoy the great picture and content. The other part is as the panel aged, through warming up for hours of uses, it seems that the clouding and espicially the flashlighting issues have lessen with them to the point when even what I look for it, it's hard to see. I even was able to bump up my backlit by a few spots and still can't see the issue my set used to have.

My only remaining regret about my hx850 is that I didn't listen to all those advices I was given about the fact I should have went bigger than what I wanted. I got a 46" and now wish I had went with the 55". On the other hand, my 46" had no banding issues which seems a bit more common on the 55" and up. That's part of the reason I'm looking into the w900a, as a possible upgrade to my hx850 but bigger.

Well said Guibs. I have had no issues on my HX850 such as clouding, banding ect. I guess I got lucky. Its the best HDTV I have ever owned and will not part with it at least not for a very long time, I will stick with it until it dies! lol. The only regret I have like you is I didn't get the 55inch version but my 46 is more then just fine.
post #2077 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Yeah even wide screen with the black bars there is still that bar of light. I have a few days to decide. Ill probably exchange it. My brother tells me to just very another model. But this is the only tv I like other than 4k.
post #2078 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

On the other hand, if you can provide evidence that the leds on this model are located left and right, that would also settle the case.
I have closely examined the number of dimming zones the W9 is using. One can SEE how the dimming zones are ordered. The LEDs are left + right. Absolutely definetly.biggrin.gif
post #2079 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 01:49 PM

when I get home I will try and see if my set has that bar of light.... I didn't notice it before....
post #2080 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Can we expect to see a refresh of this model at CES 2014? I'm kinda on the fence about buying this set.
post #2081 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziming View Post

Can we expect to see a refresh of this model at CES 2014? I'm kinda on the fence about buying this set.

I don't think so. Sony, as always, will come out with a replacement model. They always do.
post #2082 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

No the HX850 led are located at the top and bottom. I am 100% sure. I have one and I also saw pictures of a teardown of my TV that confirmes it.

Cite? It was easy to demonstrate the 46HX850 has rectangular dimming zones half the width of the screen stacked vertically, eight on each side. Not sure how they do that if the LEDs are arranged along the top and bottom...
post #2083 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:

I see it on all source material. Even in the one I got replaced. Just here its more pronounced. Even at widescreen scenes, the little bar of light is there. Could it be my settings or is this natural for this tv?. Here is a closer look

I seem to have that as well I will try and take a pic I think all side lit led will have some issues, some will have banding,clouding, flash-lighting.... I think its normal I will take some pics...
post #2084 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan007 View Post

I seem to have that as well I will try and take a pic I think all side lit led will have some issues, some will have banding,clouding, flash-lighting.... I think its normal I will take some pics...

What is the serial number on your tv?
post #2085 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 PM

my serial number is 6603047...

I have zero banding,clouding but I do have that line at the bottom of the screen... its only noticeable when I use my ps4... I have not seen it while watching tv or on my laptop(haswell mbp) when its connected... I actually didn't notice this at all until I saw these forums... I think i will keep the tv, if I get another set i might get banding or bad clouding, there is no perfect tv.. I am sure the 39,000 samsung has some issue with it... I will keep this set and I do like it... I will wait till the 75" 4k tvs come down in price... and I will purchase probably a 6000 dollar tv next year and I am sure it will have an issue of its own.. the light at the bottom I tried to take a picture and it really didn't com out on camera here is a pic its really impossible to see only in game it might be the ps4.....
post #2086 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:

What is the serial number on your tv?

You saw this with other models? Do you have clouding or banding? my girl can't see what I am talking about....lol
post #2087 of 4891 Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 PM

My new W900A is in the house! Can't break it open until the new console gets here tomorrow.

Next decision is soundbar. Picked up a boston acoustics tonight but I'm afraid none of them will look right since I'm not wall mounting the tv. I like the aesthetic of the stand and a soundbar will cover it.

Any thoughts on soundbars?
post #2088 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 03:27 AM

Quote:

You saw this with other models? Do you have clouding or banding? my girl can't see what I am talking about....lol

The ones had were 6010000.sorry if I made you aware of that bar of light. Sometimes ignorance is bliss
post #2089 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HD View Post

My new W900A is in the house! Can't break it open until the new console gets here tomorrow.

Next decision is soundbar. Picked up a boston acoustics tonight but I'm afraid none of them will look right since I'm not wall mounting the tv. I like the aesthetic of the stand and a soundbar will cover it.

Any thoughts on soundbars?

The Sony HT-CT660 looks awesome with this tv.
post #2090 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have had my tv for a while now and I do not have this problem. Also, I used to have a very faint but noticeable darkening on both the left and right side but that has completely disappeared on its own.
New2HD likes this.
post #2091 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

The Sony HT-CT660 looks awesome with this tv.

Thanks UFO. Do you have the TV (and bar) mounted or on a cabinet/console? Without having it out of the box yet, I can't get a good feel for how it will look covering or partially covering the stand sitting on the console.
post #2092 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks UFO. Do you have the TV (and bar) mounted or on a cabinet/console? Without having it out of the box yet, I can't get a good feel for how it will look covering or partially covering the stand sitting on the console.

I use a tv stand that has a built in mount, so the tv floats with the sound bar under it. It looks extremely nice.
post #2093 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

I use a tv stand that has a built in mount, so the tv floats with the sound bar under it. It looks extremely nice.
How much is that stand?
post #2094 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 AM

Anyone see any price drops or sales for Black Friday?
post #2095 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM

Liked: 12

I heard FutureShop had a price drop at 1942 $ in Canada at their VIP sale yesterday only (nov 28th).

post #2096 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 AM

I haven't seen anything and have been watching for about three weeks. So I bought at BB last night. They are in their holiday extended return period (thru Jan 2 I think), which also extends the price protection thru that date. They will price match competitors for 15 days, but then you're also protected against the price at BB thru Jan 2.

I've been asking around and I've generally heard it may go a bit lower through the end of the year, but that pre-Superbowl (which is also pre-release of new models) would be the next major price movement, if there is any.
post #2097 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen anything and have been watching for about three weeks. So I bought at BB last night. They are in their holiday extended return period (thru Jan 2 I think), which also extends the price protection thru that date. They will price match competitors for 15 days, but then you're also protected against the price at BB thru Jan 2.

I've been asking around and I've generally heard it may go a bit lower through the end of the year, but that pre-Superbowl (which is also pre-release of new models) would be the next major price movement, if there is any.

So if I purchase from Best Buy, they will have no issues replacing it if there is clouding or any kind of issues? If so how long do they give you for this?

One more question for anyone that used the Square Trade warranty. I can buy this off of Costco's site for $100 and I will be covered for 4 years total (including manufacture warranty)? It does not matter if I buy the TV from Best Buy when buying the Square Trade warranty from Costco correct? Thanks in advance for any help.
post #2098 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 AM

I've returned my w900a. I had it for two weeks trying to get it just right. When watching OTA tv either 720p or 1080i the picture just did not look super sharp. I thought perhaps it was just my eyes playing tricks
on me. So I finally brought up my old lower end LG CS570 and hooked it up side by side playing the same channels. I was instantly struck by how much sharper and crisp the LG was. In order to match
the sharpness I had to turn up reality creation to max, sharpness to 100% and edge and detail enhancers on high, but that obviously created all kind of artifacts. The LG is just set at a calibrated low sharpness level.
Perhaps it is just the tuner in the TV does not output a good picture. It may fare better with content via HDMI, but I was unable to confirm this. Or maybe it is just the fact that this is the difference
between a 46" TV and 55" TV. Though everything i've read says that you should not be able to see a difference at 10 feet away.
Also the color just seem a little more realistic to my eyes with the LG.
At any rate for 2 grand it was a no brainer to return it.
It is too bad because the black levels are far superior to the LG.... but that shows me black level is not
the biggest factor in PQ.
Also the Sony clearly has better motion handling... the LG is not very good in this regard even though it is 120hz.
post #2099 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 11:00 AM

ALL EDGE LIT led/lcd tv's will have some sort uniformity problem. Its just the tech, in some cases it might be worse than what it should be, then return it.. but if you have minor clouding banding or flashlightng it is normal, all sets have some degree of it.. there is no 100% perfect set..
post #2100 of 4891 Old 11-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiptydoer View Post

I've returned my w900a. I had it for two weeks trying to get it just right. When watching OTA tv either 720p or 1080i the picture just did not look super sharp. I thought perhaps it was just my eyes playing tricks
on me. So I finally brought up my old lower end LG CS570 and hooked it up side by side playing the same channels. I was instantly struck by how much sharper and crisp the LG was. In order to match
the sharpness I had to turn up reality creation to max, sharpness to 100% and edge and detail enhancers on high, but that obviously created all kind of artifacts. The LG is just set at a calibrated low sharpness level.
Perhaps it is just the tuner in the TV does not output a good picture. It may fare better with content via HDMI, but I was unable to confirm this. Or maybe it is just the fact that this is the difference
between a 46" TV and 55" TV. Though everything i've read says that you should not be able to see a difference at 10 feet away.
Also the color just seem a little more realistic to my eyes with the LG.
At any rate for 2 grand it was a no brainer to return it.
It is too bad because the black levels are far superior to the LG.... but that shows me black level is not
the biggest factor in PQ.
Also the Sony clearly has better motion handling... the LG is not very good in this regard even though it is 120hz.

Your not using an hdmi? what are you using? Is your source HD? my set looks sharp even with sharpness at 50, detail/edge OFF, I have not seen a better edge lit 1080p tv... maybe you have a lemon
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page