Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 4891 Old 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JohnnyG.... I returned mine because I was just not pleased with the PQ of HD broadcasts via the tuner.
post #2163 of 4891 Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Liked: 15
What is the standard warranty on this TV from Sony? It seems like most people go for the 4 year option.
post #2164 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardano View Post

Hi

Where did you get this price ? website, local store ? I got mine at 1999$ CND +tax + 4 yr warranty

Can you share you info ? I will try to get a price reduction on mine with the price you got.

Thanks

Sorry Dardano, I should have been more specific, it was at FutureShop for $1999 and we negotiated the extended warranty and delivery down $130. Then he applied that to the T.V. price and got $1869 and left the warranty and delivery at original price.

JohnnysG, wow $1639 is a pretty sweet deal.

post #2165 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Does reality creation increase the input lag? It looks much better when putting it on while i'm using game mode if it doesn't add that much of lag i rather put it on.
post #2166 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiptydoer View Post

JohnnyG.... I returned mine because I was just not pleased with the PQ of HD broadcasts via the tuner.

That's because HD broadcasts are **** quality
post #2167 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelbreker View Post

Does reality creation increase the input lag? It looks much better when putting it on while i'm using game mode if it doesn't add that much of lag i rather put it on.

No it does not. When in game mode you can change any of the settings and the maximum input lag you can achieve is 20ms. If you turn on the motionflow to impulse, the input lag tester will read around 30ms, although because of the way the input lag tester works this is most likely not accurate and most likely does not change input lag at all.
post #2168 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post

That's because HD broadcasts are **** quality

I assume that he is referring to HD Broadcasts via cable. Via an over-the-air antenna is pretty stunning, depending on the source material quality of course.
post #2169 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Hi I recently bought this TV and I love it. But I do seem to have a slight issue. When I look closely at white text I have a faint red shadow on the right edge of the letters, almost like an old CRT convergence issue. Anyway I can tweak this?
post #2170 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 PM

The Triluminous technology, as Sony calls it, is really the new Quantum Dot Enhancement Technology (QDEF} that
3M and Nanosys will be producing and selling to all tv manufacturer's soon.
I don't know why this hasn't gotten more press, but it promises to be much more energy efficient
and supposedly provides up to a 5O% greater color gamut. This is going to be a new drop in replacement for
backlight technologies in lcd production. It is more expensive now, but as usual will drop in price as time goes by.
post #2171 of 4891 Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by haneB View Post

The Triluminous technology, as Sony calls it, is really the new Quantum Dot Enhancement Technology (QDEF} that
I don't know why this hasn't gotten more press, but it promises to be much more energy efficient
and supposedly provides up to a 5O% greater color gamut. This is going to be a new drop in replacement for
backlight technologies in lcd production. It is more expensive now, but as usual will drop in price as time goes by.

This is good information, where did you get it from?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2172 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by haneB View Post

Is this the reason this TV never had a price reduction during Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

I have my eyes on this one for over 6 months now, but at $2K I cant buy it, don't have that kind of money frown.gif
post #2173 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfheart View Post

Hi I recently bought this TV and I love it. But I do seem to have a slight issue. When I look closely at white text I have a faint red shadow on the right edge of the letters, almost like an old CRT convergence issue. Anyway I can tweak this?
That's normal. The panel does not show "white" pixels, there are only red+green+blue subpixels. All three together to the eye look like "white" - but only from a distance. If you look from close, especially at edges with hard white<>black contrast, you can see the very edges of the subipxel structure. A vertically running thin white line has a red subixel on its right edge, and a blue subixel on its left edge.
Also, this effect becomes visible because 1920x1080 is a somewhat rough resolution for a 55" panel (or even bigger ones), the pixels/subixels are becoming relatively big, so you can actually see them when you get very close. There are reasons why the industry is now coming up with "4k" TVs (the pixels are only half as big), and also why PC-monitors bigger than 24" or 27" usually have a pixel resolution higher than 1920*xxx.
post #2174 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM

I am getting a Sony KDL-55W900A delivered tomorrow. Pretty excited.

But I've been reading very conflicting reports about whether I need a break-in period for this LED.

Do I need to find a channel without a logo (are there even any?) or run a slideshow? Or will I be fine powering it on, calibrating, and playing some HD games?
post #2175 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee 
That's normal. The panel does not show "white" pixels, there are only red+green+blue subpixels. All three together to the eye look like "white" - but only from a distance. If you look from close, especially at edges with hard white<>black contrast, you can see the very edges of the subipxel structure. A vertically running thin white line has a red subixel on its right edge, and a blue subixel on its left edge.
Also, this effect becomes visible because 1920x1080 is a somewhat rough resolution for a 55" panel (or even bigger ones), the pixels/subixels are becoming relatively big, so you can actually see them when you get very close. There are reasons why the industry is now coming up with "4k" TVs (the pixels are only half as big), and also why PC-monitors bigger than 24" or 27" usually have a pixel resolution higher than 1920*xxx.
Quote:
A traditional LED LCd uses blue LEDs, coated with a yellow phosphor, to create 'white' light. Triluminos uses blue LEDs, but instead of coating them with a yellow phosphor, the blue light from the LEDs passes through the Color IQ optical element containing red and green quantum dots.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57569549-221/what-are-quantum-dots-and-how-could-they-help-your-next-tv/
post #2176 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM

One thing I've noticed is that the colors are unusually bright when watching blu rays. I actually turned the color down some for that input. I don't notice it for regular HD TV.
post #2177 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 AM

@ 8mile13:

It seems you completely missed the point of Surfhearts's problem and my explanation to him. His prob + my expla are about the LCD subpixels. Not about the backlight technology.
post #2178 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post

@ 8mile13:

It seems you completely missed the point of Surfhearts's problem and my explanation to him. His prob + my expla are about the LCD subpixels. Not about the backlight technology.
this:

55W905a subpixels
post #2179 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 AM

I see you are posting posts, but ... is there also any point you're trying to make, or are you just posting posts?
post #2180 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see you are posting posts, but ... is there also any point you're trying to make, or are you just posting posts?
It seems to me that the point YOU are trying to make is that you are extremely intelligent - tongue.gif
post #2181 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcdougal View Post

I am getting a Sony KDL-55W900A delivered tomorrow. Pretty excited.

But I've been reading very conflicting reports about whether I need a break-in period for this LED.

Do I need to find a channel without a logo (are there even any?) or run a slideshow? Or will I be fine powering it on, calibrating, and playing some HD games?

Congrats, it's not a plasma, you don't need to do anything but enjoy it. Even with plasmas you don't need to do anything, some people prefer to run slides to age the phosphors to age the panel evenly in order to get a professional calibration. But it is not necessary. LCD' s don't need any break in.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2182 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 03:16 PM

This very much for the info regarding the red fringing guys. Puts my mind at ease!
post #2183 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Very true. Which is why I HOPE we get the 46W900 that the UK just got.
post #2184 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 12

Hello all...am new to this thread...purchased a Samsung UN60F7100 a week ago and am truly disgusted with it.  Terrible flashlighting from all four corners, and starting to see even more from bottom center...totally unacceptable.  Bought from amazon so I have until jan. 31, 2014 to exchange.  Have been researching a lot of forums and user reviews, seems like Samsung is putting out lousy quality sets.  This tv is replacing an eleven year old sony wega 36 inch which still has a great picture and never one single problem.  I also have an eight year old sony cineza lcd front projector in my family room which has also performed perfectly.  So why didn't I go with sony this time?  I wanted a 60 inch.  But after having read so many negatives about other brands, I think I'd give up the five inches to get the sony quality I've become accustomed to.  I haven't read this entire thread yet, but was hoping to get some feedback regarding the Sony KDL-55W900A.  Anyone having the severe light bleed/clouding that so many of these LED's seem to produce?  I appreciate any comments or suggestions.  Thanks very much.

post #2185 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srg914 View Post

Hello all...am new to this thread...purchased a Samsung UN60F7100 a week ago and am truly disgusted with it.  Terrible flashlighting from all four corners, and starting to see even more from bottom center...totally unacceptable.  Bought from amazon so I have until jan. 31, 2014 to exchange.  Have been researching a lot of forums and user reviews, seems like Samsung is putting out lousy quality sets.  This tv is replacing an eleven year old sony wega 36 inch which still has a great picture and never one single problem.  I also have an eight year old sony cineza lcd front projector in my family room which has also performed perfectly.  So why didn't I go with sony this time?  I wanted a 60 inch.  But after having read so many negatives about other brands, I think I'd give up the five inches to get the sony quality I've become accustomed to.  I haven't read this entire thread yet, but was hoping to get some feedback regarding the Sony KDL-55W900A.  Anyone having the severe light bleed/clouding that so many of these LED's seem to produce?  I appreciate any comments or suggestions.  Thanks very much.
No light bleeding or clouding at all.My previous set had a flashlight in the upper left but none with the W900A.
post #2186 of 4891 Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Having an odd Lip Sync issue with 2 out of 4 Blu Ray discs on this TV.

Ok so.. I tested (Planes trains and automobiles, Independence Day, MI: Ghost Protocol, and Skyfall)

Note: I calibrated my audio, and I also use a soundbar.

I used Cinema mode for all of them. Ghost Protocol and Skyfall look and sound fantastic. There is no Lip sync issue at all from what I can tell.

Then I pop in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. There is a lip sync issue. Words don't match the moving mouths on screen. Maybe like half a second if that.

Then I pop in Independence Day. Again a lip sync issue same as Planes, Trains....

I'm so confused why the 2 newer movies have no lip sync issues while the older ones do. And meanwhile I have everything calibrated. Can anybody come up with a solution to this? Thanks.
post #2187 of 4891 Old 12-06-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srg914 View Post

srg914, I did the same thing, bought the UN60F7100, after having a stellar performing Samsung 55" DLP before I was expecting something akin.  Boy was I disappointed.  I kept the UN60F7100 for about 7 days, the whole time messing with the settings in an effort to get rid of the really bad flashlighting and clouding.  I had never seen something so prominent, and when I asked Samsung support about it, they said it was normal, and that it MAY go away in about 3 weeks.  I could not stand it, so I returned it.  I was unfortunate and had to pay a 15% restocking fee, but it was well worth it in my opinion just to get rid of the thing.  I ended up getting the w900a after reading several reviews and others' experiences with the UN60F7100 and subsequent switch.  I could not be happier with it right out of the box it has perfect picture in standard mode.  The only thing I have adjusted is the motion correction setting, and I set that to 'True Cinema'.  It truly is a beautiful all around TV.

post #2188 of 4891 Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer View Post

srg914, I did the same thing, bought the UN60F7100, after having a stellar performing Samsung 55" DLP before I was expecting something akin.  Boy was I disappointed.  I kept the UN60F7100 for about 7 days, the whole time messing with the settings in an effort to get rid of the really bad flashlighting and clouding.  I had never seen something so prominent, and when I asked Samsung support about it, they said it was normal, and that it MAY go away in about 3 weeks.  I could not stand it, so I returned it.  I was unfortunate and had to pay a 15% restocking fee, but it was well worth it in my opinion just to get rid of the thing.  I ended up getting the w900a after reading several reviews and others' experiences with the UN60F7100 and subsequent switch.  I could not be happier with it right out of the box it has perfect picture in standard mode.  The only thing I have adjusted is the motion correction setting, and I set that to 'True Cinema'.  It truly is a beautiful all around TV.

I'm glad I purchased through Amazon, I can return/exchange every 30 days till I find a tv that's acceptable.  Was thinking of trying the 7100 one more time and maybe get lucky as some have.  But that's kind of like buying a car that gives you nothing but trouble and trading it in for the same model.  Definition of stupidity: doing the same thing and expecting a different result, right?  lol  I could also run through LG, Vizio, and Sharp (but since this Samsung uses a Sharp panel, less so).  But it seems like overall, Sony consistently gets the best reviews.  I've just gotten used to having a 60 inch that I feel 55 inch may seem small in comparision, I know it did in the stores.  Could also trying jumping up to the Samsung 7500 but then we're talking $700 more which is out of my budget.  I paid $1600 for the 7100, (black Friday deal), so the Sony at five inches less would be costing my $400 more.  Was also thinking of the Panasonic ST-C60S60 plasma, but after reading how you have to baby these plasmas, that would be my last resort.  The professional reviewers say image retention and burn-in are a thing of the past, but when you read the forums you see this isn't the case.  And based on my viewing habits, ie. CNN, CNBC, Discovery, History....all with either streaming banners and logos, would be scared of plasma.  Best Buy does have an extended warranty that covers ir/burn-in but it's like $230 every two years!  No thanks, BB.  Samsung gave me their stock line...turn down the backlight to 7 and it should get better in a couple of weeks.  Have read that some have gotten better with time, but I feel the same as you, I can't stand it.  When I watch the tv I'm looking more at the clouding than the content.  Buying a tv shouldn't be this difficult, seems absurd to me.  Thanks for your input, appreciate any other suggestion or comments you may have.

post #2189 of 4891 Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post

No light bleeding or clouding at all.My previous set had a flashlight in the upper left but none with the W900A.

Thanks for the reply...see my quoted reply to "cringer" for more details.  Congratulations on getting a set without issues...seems very tough to find nowadays.

post #2190 of 4891 Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM

My 900A was just delivered with Amazon's "Enhanced" delivery, but they would not help me attach it to the base, so I guess it's going to sit in a box on the floor until I can get a 2nd person to help with assembly.

By that time I'll have to go eat before enjoying the new panel.

First world problems, I suppose :P
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page