Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 4858 Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Guy I like my new exchanged w900a but it has aome clouding on the side only visible on the hdmi black screen. What can I do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 4858 Old 12-11-2013, 07:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelbreker View Post

I might just buy a different brand just traded my faulty set which got 1 dead pixel on it. And again this new set which i just got for an hour got also 2 dead pixels. How many times did some of you returned the W9 before getting one without any dead pixels?

Well, I just exchanged mine due to a stuck pixel right in the center of the screen.  My replacement has a stuck pixel in the lower left corner.  I'm running the Disney WOW pixel fixer now, but do not expect it to fix it.  

An observation on the "stuck" pixel issue.  Its not truly a stuck pixel, it is capable of rendering all color except red, that is, any color but lacking the red component.  I say this because it does indeed change color, from green to blue and all variations there of.  

Maybe I'm being too picky, it is only 1 pixel out of 2,073,600, and this 1 stuck pixel is still capable of rendering 65,025 colors...right?

post #2253 of 4858 Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM

duplicate..
post #2254 of 4858 Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
TV looks absolutely awesome except for one dead pixel down near the bottom right. Rarely notice it. Had the set since July 4th.
post #2255 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 12:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cringer View Post

I retract my earlier statement.  Mine does not look like this unless I take a picture, then it only looks like this in the picture.  Otherwise it is a near perfect white.

I assume this is due the camera picking up the image between or on refreshes?

At any rate, I also discovered a single dead pixel last night while looking at the whites, and really wish I had not.  I'm not sure what I am going to do about it, if anything. frown.gif
I would never have accepted a dead pixel. I traded 2 sets with dead pixels on it and now I have a perfect set without any dead pixels.
post #2256 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 12:04 AM

I'm just wondering how fragile the AUO panels are. There are alot of reports of people receiving a set with a dead pixel on it. While I never had this with a Samsung or Panasonic hdtv.
post #2257 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

Yes very normal for edge lit TVs and monitors.

Thanks, should I forget about it or return the TV for a new one ?

post #2258 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

This is what I use for gaming. Do Note I like a rather bright picture so If this is too bright for you, adjust the backlight down a notch or two and see what you think. I did not mess with the white balance as I found it pretty good out of the box. This is just a start and your panel may exhibit behavior that mine does not so if the colors are off you may have to adjust to your liking. Make sure you have your game consoles(if any) set to output RGB Limited to avoid crushing black levels.

Picture Adjustments
Backlight 6
Picture 87
Brightness 49
color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Neutral
Sharpness 74 (I have seen people set this to 50 so you have to experiment with what you like)
Reality Creation Off (If you turn this on textures will have a lot more pop but it removes some of the natural blurring that video games are supposed to have in order to hide the jaggies on the edges of objects and certain textures. I found it too distracting and unnatural)
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector Off
Adv Contrast Off
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic control Standard
Auto Light Dimmer off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off
Detail Enhancer Off
Edge Enhancer Off
Although it's personal preference, I don't use nor like the reality creation option. Video games are designed to have a certain amount of blur to hide the edges of objects and the pixel crawling, and other aliasing effects on the image. The Reality creation option makes textures pop but it removes what I feel should be there to achieve what the developer intended. It sometimes appeared so sharp that I could see the pixels. It was distracting for me. It can also introduce flickering or flashing on objects in dark scenes.

Hi I tried your game settings, I like the feel of it!

Tried Red Dead Redemption, Far Cry 3, The Last of Us and Dark Souls. All look better with your settings.

But as my Blu-Ray player is my PS3, I will not set the output to RGB Limited.

Thanks

Fred

post #2259 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 AM

I'm going to be on my fourth TV in a month this evening...

post #2260 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcdougal View Post

Here's my screen. I'm assuming you guys are going to tell me that the uniformity looks good.

I find it so distracting when I'm watching TV though. Every commercial that has an actor in front of a solid background is the worst.

I honestly don't really notice while playing games, except on loading screens, but I am constantly distracted by the darker areas along the right side during other viewing.

I think I'm just too critical and will get used to it...right?

Not me.....that looks terrible.

That gives you a good argument to buy local where returns would be easier.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2261 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Not me.....that looks terrible.

That gives you a good argument to buy local where returns would be easier.

It sounds like I might need to get Amazon to replace. I hope the replacement is better!

Has anyone had replacements via amazon?

Do they have to pick up the first tv before they send the replacment? Or will they have a replacement delivered at the same time as picking this one up?
post #2262 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM

input lag is lowest with "graphics" the picture still looks great... the settings over on avfourms by insanity are amazing... been using them for about a week... very pleased will post them later today.

post #2263 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Maybe I should not even look for bad pixels or other imperfections when I swap out the set this evening?  

At this point I am fairly convinced that is the only way I will be happy.

post #2264 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm still debating about whether I'm going to keep my W900. I ran it side by side with my Panny ST30 using an HDMI splitter running off my Sony BR player. I used Hugo, LOTR Return of the King and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Of course there was no fair comparison of viewing angles and consistent Black levels. The Plasma wins those hands down. I did think think that the W900 has a more pleasing overall picture from the color standpoint. The Panny has a slight yellowish cast while the Sony is perfectly neutral. Oddly, on Crouching Tiger, the plasma seemed to display deeper reds on garments. Maybe it's the black level that does that. Size-wise, I wouldn't have thought that a 5" increase in screen size would make a marked difference but at around a 9 foot distance, it sure does. The fact that that the Sony has a very thin frame and the Panny, as an older generation set has a much thicker one, makes the 55" screen look all the much larger. I wanted to try to gauge the Sony's screen uniformity and I'm not sure how to interpret my finds using solid color slides. Here is a cross sample of the results. There seems to be some persistent artifacts off each vertical edge and one on the bottom edge. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

post #2265 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM

Does it really look that bad in person though?

I have found that taking pictures seems to make things appear worse than they actually are while viewing in person.

springs113 likes this.
post #2266 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have found that taking pictures seems to make things appear worse than they actually are while viewing in person.
Not really although you can see traces of the artifacts at times. The primary issues that I'm having, and it may be due to "plasma withdrawal", are the very disappointing viewing angles ( the vertical edges do get lighter as you even move slightly away from center) and making adjustments that will tone down the very bright whites without losing that dimensional image that you expect from a top line Sony or Samsung LED set. If I do decide to return the set, I'm faced with a choice between another LED hoping for better results or stick with plasma, probably a Panny VT60 or Samsung 8500. My ST30 suffers from pretty significant image retention and I'm not at all confident that, despite Panasonic and Samsung's claims about IR not being a problem, it still isn't. Of course the VT60 is available in a 55 inch model while the Samsung jumps from 51" to 60" which is too big for the room and the stand. Sometimes buying a a new TV is as bad as buying a new car biggrin.gif
post #2267 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:

His grey image looks like my set looks in person.

If anything, when I took a picture of mine, I wondered if the picture even made it look as bad as it does in person.
post #2268 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I'm still debating about whether I'm going to keep my W900. I ran it side by side with my Panny ST30 using an HDMI splitter running off my Sony BR player. I used Hugo, LOTR Return of the King and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Of course there was no fair comparison of viewing angles and consistent Black levels. The Plasma wins those hands down. I did think think that the W900 has a more pleasing overall picture from the color standpoint. The Panny has a slight yellowish cast while the Sony is perfectly neutral. Oddly, on Crouching Tiger, the plasma seemed to display deeper reds on garments. Maybe it's the black level that does that. Size-wise, I wouldn't have thought that a 5" increase in screen size would make a marked difference but at around a 9 foot distance, it sure does. The fact that that the Sony has a very thin frame and the Panny, as an older generation set has a much thicker one, makes the 55" screen look all the much larger. I wanted to try to gauge the Sony's screen uniformity and I'm not sure how to interpret my finds using solid color slides. Here is a cross sample of the results. There seems to be some persistent artifacts off each vertical edge and one on the bottom edge. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Looks fairly similar to mine, I don't really notice it during regular viewing though. Would you mind doing me a favour and look at your TV from a sharp angle from the side and see If those artifacts looks worse then? When I look at mine from the side (especially when looking at a self gray slide) the patches gets a lot more visible and I even see new ones that are not really visible during normal viewing from a Norma angle, I wonder why this is?
post #2269 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:

I might just buy a different brand just traded my faulty set which got 1 dead pixel on it. And again this new set which i just got for an hour got also 2 dead pixels. How many times did some of you returned the W9 before getting one without any dead pixels?

I picked up my 3rd W9 this evening.  The guys at Fry's were kind enough to go over it with me briefly in the store.  Their Sony rep was actually there and didn't believe the one I was returning had a bad pixel until he saw it. He said it is very rare for this model...

Anyway, the replacement looked flawless in the store, and it looks flawless in its new home.  I looked it over again real quick after getting it all set up, and that is all the scrutinizing I am going to do.

Unless I can see a flaw from where I sit, this will be it.

post #2270 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I'm just wondering how fragile the AUO panels are. There are alot of reports of people receiving a set with a dead pixel on it. While I never had this with a Samsung or Panasonic hdtv.

anyone know if pixels just randomly die? I have a monster bar the model  where it cleans the electricity supposedly thats supposed to prevent pixels from dying...what is the cause so far mine has been perfect

post #2271 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Vermeer,

YOU DID WHAT? yes, I was screaming. smile.gif

Who told you that a Monster power strip would keep pixels from dying?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2272 of 4858 Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Vermeer,

YOU DID WHAT? yes, I was screaming. smile.gif

Who told you that a Monster power strip would keep pixels from dying?

is the Monster power strip bad?

post #2273 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

input lag is lowest with "graphics" the picture still looks great... the settings over on avfourms by insanity are amazing... been using them for about a week... very pleased will post them later today.
Quote:

Hey could you post them please?
post #2274 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 04:42 AM

I have 4 dead pixels that glows like crystal and is 1000 micro metre. Return it?
post #2275 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bad for your wallet. It won't keep your pixels from going bad.

Typically, monster products are well built but grossly overpriced as you can get similar quality for a lot less.

You'll also find that salesmen will make up benefits that don't exist because they benefit monetarily from the sale.

Live and learn.

post #2276 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVII View Post

I have 4 dead pixels that glows like crystal and is 1000 micro metre. Return it?

What do you mean by "and is 1000 micro metre"?

But yea, four dead pixels you should return for sure.  I returned twice for just one dead pixel.

post #2277 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM

I got a perfect set now really happy about it with no dead pixel and incredible screen quality. Just wondering how I could remove dirt from the surface without taking the risk to get a dead pixel. What do you guys use to clean it.
post #2278 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

LOL, i use insanity's setting as well, he really nailed it! I even ran the Spears Munsil calibration disk to double check – everything looks perfect!!
post #2279 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

LOL, i use insanity's setting as well, he really nailed it! I even ran the Spears Munsil calibration disk to double check – everything looks perfect!!

Could one of you please paste or provide a link? I'd like to check these out.
post #2280 of 4858 Old 12-13-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanner View Post

Looks fairly similar to mine, I don't really notice it during regular viewing though. Would you mind doing me a favour and look at your TV from a sharp angle from the side and see If those artifacts looks worse then? When I look at mine from the side (especially when looking at a self gray slide) the patches gets a lot more visible and I even see new ones that are not really visible during normal viewing from a Norma angle, I wonder why this is?
As requested, here are some pics of a gray screen from dead center and both sides. I'm not sure how valuable the side shots are since all LED/LCD sets will fade more significantly as you move further away from center. I had a Sony 40Z when it first came out and while it was a decent set, its viewing angles were terribly narrow, even from the couch. While things have gotten better, Sony, to my eyes, has not made nearly the improvements in this area that it claims. LG's sets always seem to have better than average viewing angles but that appears to come at the cost of very glossy panels with pretty heavy reflections.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page