Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 5097 Old 12-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm seeing very noticable vertical banding in Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag on Xbox One.

If I look at the right side of my screen, in a dark environment, and then spin the camera, I see vertical lines or columns that stay in the same place on my screen, regardless of what the game camera points at. I'm assuming this is a problem with the TV and not the game. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5097 Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcdougal View Post

I'm seeing very noticable vertical banding in Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag on Xbox One.

If I look at the right side of my screen, in a dark environment, and then spin the camera, I see vertical lines or columns that stay in the same place on my screen, regardless of what the game camera points at. I'm assuming this is a problem with the TV and not the game. Any ideas?

It's only in Assassin's Creed 4 during particularly dark areas, right? I also saw those lines/columns in a late memory sequence on my Samsung F8000. I think it's just the game.
post #2343 of 5097 Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 16
The science is real, this is the best gaming LED to come out since LEDs have been made. Last night I setup my W900 and within minutes I was online playing Black ops 2, for the next 6 hours I would sit playing Black Ops 2. Not in over 10 years have I had such enjoyment playing games on a high def tv. Input lag is real and this tv proves how awesome it is in that regard. The control and speed this tv provides is insane and has given me new advantage.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #2344 of 5097 Old 12-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

The science is real, this is the best gaming LED to come out since LEDs have been made. Last night I setup my W900 and within minutes I was online playing Black ops 2, for the next 6 hours I would sit playing Black Ops 2. Not in over 10 years have I had such enjoyment playing games on a high def tv. Input lag is real and this tv proves how awesome it is in that regard. The control and speed this tv provides is insane and has given me new advantage.

It is fast and all of my problems with the tv seem to be gone... is it possible for the tv to "break in"?
post #2345 of 5097 Old 12-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan007 View Post

It is fast and all of my problems with the tv seem to be gone... is it possible for the tv to "break in"?

What problems did you have?
post #2346 of 5097 Old 12-18-2013, 03:49 PM

I had some money minor clouding, seems to be better some how
post #2347 of 5097 Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Perhaps you should read the entire thread for all the positive comments.

JohnG
post #2348 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Once again:

I've read as much of the 900 threads here as I can, and still trying to find someone's settings who's into MOVIES instead of video games. Nothing against using this LCD to play games, of course, but there are a few of us out there who love watching flicks.

Have seen the CNET settings as well as a few on Amazon but CNET's seem to go for the 'warm2' reddish look and the Amazon one's are too close to the 'sports' profile.

Thx.
post #2349 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by congster View Post

sure. will update once i hear from them. i too suspect they won't / can't do anything. all things considered, it is still a very good TV and watching HD channels on it is a treat.

Sony responded to me after looking at my pics that if trying other settings doesn't work i should contact my retailer... I am however doubting that exchanging to a new set will help much?
post #2350 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger877 View Post

Once again:

I've read as much of the 900 threads here as I can, and still trying to find someone's settings who's into MOVIES instead of video games. Nothing against using this LCD to play games, of course, but there are a few of us out there who love watching flicks.

Have seen the CNET settings as well as a few on Amazon but CNET's seem to go for the 'warm2' reddish look and the Amazon one's are too close to the 'sports' profile.

Thx.

This setup gave the best of just about everything, contrast/detail, Black level, color pop, motion flow, and clarity.
Suited for DVD/Blue Ray viewing.

Picture mode - cinema 1
Backlight - 4
Picture - 90
Brightness - 50
Color - 54
Hue - 0
Color Temp - Warm 2
Sharpness - 55
Noise Reduction - Auto
Reality Creation - manual, Resolution 65, Noise Filtering - min
Motionflow - Standard

Everything Else Off

Advanced Settings
Gamma - -2
LED Dynamic Control - Standard
White Balance

Everything else is Off

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #2351 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Liked: 12

Found a light bleed problem on my set while viewing from an angle. see for yourself.

This is viewed when there is a bright scene or bright image. Did the test with a plain grey image un a USB stick. Did the same test with 2 Demo Sets in 2 different stores and the problem is not there on the demo sets.

Note that I don't see this light from my couch. Only when people are on the side couch.

Otherwise, this TV rocks.

Went to Futureshop yesterday for an exchange and Futureshop will have my new TV delivered Saturday.

Fred

post #2352 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Thank you!! These settings are relatively close to a combination of what I've found and my own DIY subjective ones...but the ones you just posted contain some additional tweaks

One thing that puzzles me, though, is that every setting I've seen employs Warm 2. Unless there's something wrong with my 900, it gives a darkish/reddish look as opposed to the 'Neutral' setting -- in a darkened room, might I add. What am I missing here?

Also, I find that any use of Motionflow gives movies the dreaded soap-opera effect.

But thanks for responding...I'll try any and every setting to get this sucker just right for me smile.gif
post #2353 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thank you!! These settings are relatively close to a combination of what I've found and my own DIY subjective ones...but the ones you just posted contain some additional tweaks

One thing that puzzles me, though, is that every setting I've seen employs Warm 2. Unless there's something wrong with my 900, it gives a darkish/reddish look as opposed to the 'Neutral' setting -- in a darkened room, might I add. What am I missing here?

Also, I find that any use of Motionflow gives movies the dreaded soap-opera effect.

But thanks for responding...I'll try any and every setting to get this sucker just right for me smile.gif

For my taste, I prefer the "neutral" setting.

springs113 likes this.
post #2354 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:

The Warm 2 setting comes the closest to the 6500K standard for color. Both your color setting and white balance levels will have some effect on the Temp settings. I calibrated my set with a SpectraCal C3 using the CalMAN 5 software.

As for the motionflow setting I find that Standard gives the best image without the soap-opera effect. (Smooth setting is the worst for S.O effect...lol)

I should also state that all my standard TV watching in via HD OTA. No cable or sat for me, and that cable and satellite boxes as well as the signal play a big part into your set's image quality!!

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #2355 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardano View Post

For my taste, I prefer the "neutral" setting.

Same here. The Warm settings make everyone look like they're sunburnt.
post #2356 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

The Warm 2 setting comes the closest to the 6500K standard for color. Both your color setting and white balance levels will have some effect on the Temp settings. I calibrated my set with a SpectraCal C3 using the CalMAN 5 software.

As for the motionflow setting I find that Standard gives the best image without the soap-opera effect. (Smooth setting is the worst for S.O effect...lol)

I should also state that all my standard TV watching in via HD OTA. No cable or sat for me, and that cable and satellite boxes as well as the signal play a big part into your set's image quality!!

Yes, in my google travels to find some semblance of optimization for the 900, I've often come across mentions of the 6500K standard as the closest calibration for color on an LCD, especially for 3D (something I can live without). Perhaps better related settings will mitigate what my perception of it providing an "overly warmish/reddish" look; I've often settled for Warm1, but Neutral's worked best for me...accurate or not. I'm reminded of the audiophile dilemma of "accuracy" vs. "musical" reproduction. The late Gordon Holt (founder of Stereophile) was a proponent of the latter. Not the best analogy, but one that springs to mind with this current challenge.

My viewing is primarily BD flicks via an Oppo BDP105, streaming content from Netflix & Amazon (hard-wired) in addition to Comcast cable broadcasts. The cable box is HDMId to the Oppo for better -- so I'm told -- upscaling, etc.). The Oppo, in turn, has dual HDMIs, one for the Sony, one for the AVR audio. I'm seeking a happy compromise, probably weighted towards BDs; but I loathe the thought of tweaking for every movie -- my wife would never watch with me smile.gif

Thanks again for the advice; I'm not a tech (as is obvious) and can only imagine what a SprctraCal is and how the heck Calman software works. I just downloaded AVS HD 709 and burning it to BD -- that should be interesting ')
post #2357 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post

Same here. The Warm settings make everyone look like they're sunburnt.

Ahhhhh....another vote for "neutral" -- hurrah!!
springs113 likes this.
post #2358 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 PM

The wonderful thing about sharing settings is that they can be used as a baseline and then you the viewer can tweak settings from there. User setting always come with a disclaimer that the following setting are perfect for the user who posted them and may not always look as good for someone else. The one thing I have been surprised about in this thread is the lack of ISF calibrated settings being posted. Granted the W900A lacks a CMS but I don't see that as a big downfall since I have seen some really amazing pictures on this set with and without ISF. biggrin.gif

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #2359 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

The wonderful thing about sharing settings is that they can be used as a baseline and then you the viewer can tweak settings from there. User setting always come with a disclaimer that the following setting are perfect for the user who posted them and may not always look as good for someone else. The one thing I have been surprised about in this thread is the lack of ISF calibrated settings being posted. Granted the W900A lacks a CMS but I don't see that as a big downfall since I have seen some really amazing pictures on this set with and without ISF. biggrin.gif

You're so right you are about sharing settings. The ones you posted above are the best I've employed thus far...the 900 is now jaw-droppingly gorgeous, living up to all the positive feedback I read about before deciding to buy it over a Samsung 8000. Sticking with 'neutral' rather than 'warmX' still seems best suited to my taste and I keep fidgeting the backlight from 4 up to 6...usually settling on 5. But contrary to my previous shunning of any motionflow setting other than Off, the Standard works quite well (w/o pronounced SO effect) and brings out the Sony's wonderfully defined realism.

Still a work in progress, but thanks to folks like you, I'm getting there alot faster...tongue.gif Now I just need to relax and focus on the content, rather than the delivery system...LOL!
post #2360 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:

You're so right you are about sharing settings. The ones you posted above are the best I've employed thus far...the 900 is now jaw-droppingly gorgeous, living up to all the positive feedback I read about before deciding to buy it over a Samsung 8000. Sticking with 'neutral' rather than 'warmX' still seems best suited to my taste and I keep fidgeting the backlight from 4 up to 6...usually settling on 5. But contrary to my previous shunning of any motionflow setting other than Off, the Standard works quite well (w/o pronounced SO effect) and brings out the Sony's wonderfully defined realism.

Still a work in progress, but thanks to folks like you, I'm getting there alot faster...tongue.gif Now I just need to relax and focus on the content, rather than the delivery system...LOL!

That's awesome!!! I'm just glad I could lend a helping eye...lol biggrin.gif

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #2361 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

First Post but have been to the site throughout the years for tips and info. So...

I tried to get Amazon to price match CompSource.com for the 55w900a, but have been unsuccessful so far. This would have been my first PM (including all products) but the most I got out of them is one rep told me that they would be happy to make an exception but needed the link, and when I gave the link, the new rep refused to honor it and nitpicked at the other rep's wording. He even went as far as to lie to me, among other things about another rep confirming that the 6% rewards promotion was still in effect. The thing that I was told repeatedly was that it was not on the eligible site list (which is outdated) and I used the reasoning that since shopnbc.com is now shophq.com it isn't on the list too. He said that site wasn't eligible at first but later turned around but still did not want to help me on the compsource PM.

I have been a Prime customer for years and a customer since 2003 and was a member of CDNow before that. Hmm Sigh

BTW this link from google puts it at $1630

The UC Store Sells UV, DVD, and Blu-ray movies
post #2362 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Once again:

Thx.

I'm currently using the following settings for cinema scren mode with Blu-Ray. I find it quite pleasing. I don't have any professional equipment but to my eyes this provides a solid picture overall without the red coloration that makes some movies have off colors. I tried the settings using warm 2 posted here and elsewhere and when watching the Hobbit, the sky was greenish and the clouds had red in them instead of bright whites and neutral grays. Each set is different but every time I set warm 2 I can't remove this. I remove all image processing except for motionflow which I have added notes below.

Backlight 6
Picture 87
Brightness 50
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 1
Sharpness 50
Noise reduction off
Mpeg noise reduction off
dot noise reduction off
reality creation off
smooth gradation off
Motionflow Clear (you may prefer off but I find clear to offer better motion without giving the soap opera effect that pops the image out toward the viewer. It still looks film like to me)
cinemotion off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer off
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic control Standard
Auto Light Limiter off
Clear White off
Live Color off
White Balance all 0
Detail Enhancer off
Edge Enhancer off
Skin Naturalizer off

Pro Picture setup from the Home > Settings > Picture & Display Settings
SBM On

Anything else not noted is on the default setting. Remember I'm not a professional but I am posting these because I am not happy with the Warm 2 setting even if someone has measured it to specific gray levels. It's a pretty subjective thing sometimes.
post #2363 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiek3 View Post

First Post but have been to the site throughout the years for tips and info. So...

I tried to get Amazon to price match CompSource.com for the 55w900a, but have been unsuccessful so far. This would have been my first PM (including all products) but the most I got out of them is one rep told me that they would be happy to make an exception but needed the link, and when I gave the link, the new rep refused to honor it and nitpicked at the other rep's wording. He even went as far as to lie to me, among other things about another rep confirming that the 6% rewards promotion was still in effect. The thing that I was told repeatedly was that it was not on the eligible site list (which is outdated) and I used the reasoning that since shopnbc.com is now shophq.com it isn't on the list too. He said that site wasn't eligible at first but later turned around but still did not want to help me on the compsource PM.

I have been a Prime customer for years and a customer since 2003 and was a member of CDNow before that. Hmm Sigh

It's not Amazon's fault -- I saw the CompSource ad too, then checked them out via Google -- not pretty. But the definitive source would be Sony who list their authorized dealers; CompSource isn't one of them: http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.authorized.dealer.list --- or online: http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.authorized.retailer.network

Nothing wrong with grey market goods per se, but getting the mfr's full warranty is another story. Sorry, wish it ain't so...;(
post #2364 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

I'm currently using the following settings for cinema scren mode with Blu-Ray. I find it quite pleasing. I don't have any professional equipment but to my eyes this provides a solid picture overall without the red coloration that makes some movies have off colors. I tried the settings using warm 2 posted here and elsewhere and when watching the Hobbit, the sky was greenish and the clouds had red in them instead of bright whites and neutral grays. Each set is different but every time I set warm 2 I can't remove this. I remove all image processing except for motionflow which I have added notes below.

Backlight 6
Picture 87
Brightness 50
Color 50
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 1
Sharpness 50
Noise reduction off
Mpeg noise reduction off
dot noise reduction off
reality creation off
smooth gradation off
Motionflow Clear (you may prefer off but I find clear to offer better motion without giving the soap opera effect that pops the image out toward the viewer. It still looks film like to me)
cinemotion off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer off
Gamma -2
LED Dynamic control Standard
Auto Light Limiter off
Clear White off
Live Color off
White Balance all 0
Detail Enhancer off
Edge Enhancer off
Skin Naturalizer off

Pro Picture setup from the Home > Settings > Picture & Display Settings
SBM On

Anything else not noted is on the default setting. Remember I'm not a professional but I am posting these because I am not happy with the Warm 2 setting even if someone has measured it to specific gray levels. It's a pretty subjective thing sometimes.

Beautiful, thanks to you, too! I'll give your settings a try; I figure if I use the 'best' ones as baseline, I'll come up with a very satisfactory picture. Feedback forthcoming once I've run the all through the gamut.
post #2365 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just bought one of these sets for my parents for Christmas. I'm pretty excited, I can't wait for Christmas, I want to see this thing in action. I want one for myself, I may cave after seeing it set up in the home.
springs113 likes this.
post #2366 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I just bought one of these sets for my parents for Christmas. I'm pretty excited, I can't wait for Christmas, I want to see this thing in action. I want one for myself, I may cave after seeing it set up in the home.

Awesome Christmas present, they are going to love it.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #2367 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm a neutral guy my self with motion flow on standard. here's mine. Also I only use warm on 3d but I still think neutral n standard produces best pics, never really liked warm 2, the pinkish/reddish look of ppl skin is a turnoff.

Picture mode for ota, bd movies, ps4, hd cable...cinema
backlight 5
picture 90
brightness 48
color 60
hue 0
color temp neutral
sharpness 50
noise red off
mpeg noise red off
dot noise red off
reality creation manual
video area det off
resolution min
noise filtering min
smooth grad low
motionflow standard
cinemotion auto

adv settings
black corrector off
adv contrast enhancer off
gamma -2
led dynamic control low
auto light timer off
clear white off
live color off
white bal
r gain -1
g gain -2
everything else 0
detail enhan off
edge enhan off
skin nat off
post #2368 of 5097 Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had my set calibrated and the calibrator used Neutral. Both reds and greens look more realistic. Anyway.......

I watched my first 3D movie, Man of Steel last week. Really enjoyed it but I found that without some processing, the picture was way to jiggly/juddery. I needed to use Smooth Gradation and Motion Flow. Cinemotion is on in my normal settings. What settings are you guys using when you watch 3D content?
post #2369 of 5097 Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 AM

Hi I bought a week ago the w900 in 40 inches. The tv is perfect and I love it , it looks great , let's wonderful. But I have a problem. Since I use it mainly to play with the xbox, I 've noticed that funds clear as a white sky, move sideways image , for example, in a game of cars on moving from left to right , is seen in the sky background at the top of the screen , just below the frame , a source of very dim light vertical half centimeter in length, more or less , just below the frame , located almost in the center of the screen . This focus can be seen only in very light colors on top of the screen and always shifts the image . It's very dim light given off . But seen in certain conditions.I appreciated other light bulbs in the bottom of the screen, but these are placed diagonally and are uniform throughout the screen.Interestingly I have no light leaks in the corners , clouding or even turning off the light in the room , with the black bars at the movies , it looks great .The feeling is as if one of the LED bulbs that illuminate the tv located on the frame , divest a little more light than the other in certain circumstances and as clear light , uniform light-colored backgrounds , then this light is appreciated.Say also that I just appreciate . Since my family does not see anything . It's very faint , but it is .
Someone with this model , you got it? Is this normal?
Thank you very much and best regards!
post #2370 of 5097 Old 12-20-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiek3 View Post

Before buying from some of these sources, do some checking with resellerratings.com to see what other have to say. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CompSource_Inc

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page