Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 5088 Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardano View Post

Hell YEAH !!! Saw that ! I'm gonna get my price match at FutureShop tomorrow morning. Had a price at 1999.99$ 3 weeks ago. I'll take the 300$ discount.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-55-1080p-240hz-3d-led-smart-tv-kdl55w900a-kdl55w900a/10245471.aspx?path=5ce2063b6cf6195c5bbb9ee1e85b9ffden02&lang=fr-ca&pcname=&sku=10245471

This is sooooo good.

Happy holidays to everybody !

Awesome. I got mine at FS also just before Xmas. Very happy with it so far. I should be getting about 170 back. Happy Holidays to all.

Btw I got some smudging of fingerprints on the screen when unboxing and setting up.  Whats the best way to safely remove them. Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 5088 Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had no issue getting the Netflix credit online on my laptop. I already had the streaming and they credited me $95.88 for the year.
post #2523 of 5088 Old 12-29-2013, 10:50 PM

I received my 900A about a week ago.  I'm fairly impressed, although I am not completely blown away.  There are a few things that concern me for this price tag and I am wondering if I should roll the dice and send for a replacement, or be satisfied with the unit I have.  

The viewing angles have been written about at length here.  I knew when I purchased they weren't going to be great.  I sit about 7 feet away from the screen and I can see that the edges are ever so slightly suffering from poor contrast.  If I move my head towards one end or the other this is resolved on the respective edge toward which I move.  

Also, there is a dark horizontal band about an inch tall that spans the screen and is only visible in certain conditions.  Specifically, it reveals itself when that portion of the screen is displaying dark colors but has bright colors in close proximity.  I assume this occurs when the area is not being dimmed because bright content is nearby.  For example, in NL's Christmas Vacation when Clark is on the roof you can make out this band in the starry sky. 

My last concern is the 3D viewing mode.  I notice it assumes control of the backlight and must max it out when viewing 3D content.  This makes my letterbox bars a shade of grey and no longer black.  Is this normal?  

Thanks in advance to those that respond.  

post #2524 of 5088 Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Runner View Post

I received my 900A about a week ago.  I'm fairly impressed, although I am not completely blown away.  There are a few things that concern me for this price tag and I am wondering if I should roll the dice and send for a replacement, or be satisfied with the unit I have.  

The viewing angles have been written about at length here.  I knew when I purchased they weren't going to be great.  I sit about 7 feet away from the screen and I can see that the edges are ever so slightly suffering from poor contrast.  If I move my head towards one end or the other this is resolved on the respective edge toward which I move.  

Also, there is a dark horizontal band about an inch tall that spans the screen and is only visible in certain conditions.  Specifically, it reveals itself when that portion of the screen is displaying dark colors but has bright colors in close proximity.  I assume this occurs when the area is not being dimmed because bright content is nearby.  For example, in NL's Christmas Vacation when Clark is on the roof you can make out this band in the starry sky. 

My last concern is the 3D viewing mode.  I notice it assumes control of the backlight and must max it out when viewing 3D content.  This makes my letterbox bars a shade of grey and no longer black.  Is this normal?  

Be satisfied with what you have sir. You will not find a finer unit besides the Sony 4K units. If you are thinking of plasma then get ready to live with constant plasma screen units humming and fan noise.
post #2525 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007. View Post

Be satisfied with what you have sir. You will not find a finer unit besides the Sony 4K units. If you are thinking of plasma then get ready to live with constant plasma screen units humming and fan noise.

To clarify, I am pondering sending for a replacement of the same model.  Just wondering if these qualities are common to this model (particularly the band of uneven backlighting and the poor black levels when the backlight is maxed out in 3D model).

post #2526 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 02:12 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

To clarify, I am pondering sending for a replacement of the same model.  Just wondering if these qualities are common to this model (particularly the band of uneven backlighting and the poor black levels when the backlight is maxed out in 3D model).

The horizontal band is something that concerns me because I haven't noticed this on my set. Contacting Sony and explaining to them the problem should be your first option. If it is a problem they will send somebody out to check it out and fix it or exchange your set. As long as you are within the 1 year manufacturer warranty you will be taken care of.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #2527 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 AM

Amazing TV, had it for 2 weeks and replaced it with the 4K XBR-65X900A, wanted to be future proof, but the W9 is the best HD LED out there...

Sony XBR-65X9004A 4K - Toshiba Qosmio i7 - PS3 - PS4 - Sony BDV-E6100 Home Theater - Sony Xperia Z1-Sony HDR GW 77v -  IPad Air - IPad Mini Retina - Macbook Pro Retina - Iphone 5S  - Lenovo Idea Pad S - Dre Beats Studio - Dre Beats Pill
post #2528 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 04:48 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabidox View Post

Amazing TV, had it for 2 weeks and replaced it with the 4K XBR-65X900A, wanted to be future proof, but the W9 is the best HD LED out there...

The PS4 and Xbone will be outputting natively at 1080p for the next 10 years, I'd say we're future proof as well.
Sabidox likes this.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #2529 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix View Post

I had no issue getting the Netflix credit online on my laptop. I already had the streaming and they credited me $95.88 for the year.

I will try it this evening.

post #2530 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzione View Post

Not surprising that like myself, a number of Panny plasma owners also own or are contemplating the 900a as well, according to this thread. Frankly, if you can swing both it represents an excellent combination; the strengths and weaknesses of each unit appear to complement each other perfectly. I have my 60ST60 Panny set up in the family room where we primarily watch movies at night. Sports, gaming, daytime viewing and 3d we (mostly) enjoy on our 900a in the media room, the 900a clearly being the 'bright boy' and 'no-lag' king of the house.

Which is not to say either unit is incapable of multitasking these requirements (and more). No doubt the ST60 has better contrast and blacks but not by such a wide margin as I initially suspected. The 900a's blacks and contrast although falling short in comparison to my ST60 remain extremely pleasing and are far better than my other mid-range LG plasmas in our home. LED has indeed come a long way, particularly with the 900a.

I remain extremely satisfied with both these flat panels and having lived with both for a while I can honestly state I would buy both of them all over again.
Irrespective of the fact that I have a long list of both pros and cons for each unit. The cons are mainly attributable to the technology limitations inherent in each design. There is no perfect TV. Period.

A few posts ago someone suggested that the 900a is almost as good as a plasma costing 1/2 as much. I completely disagree with this statement. I can think of no 55" plasma costing below $1000 that will produce an image as pleasing as the 900a, not to mention matching its many other attributes (3d, connectivity, processing power, etc.). I was also essentially of this view initially but in reality, and after owning both, it turns out the quality differences between the two technologies are closer than many would have you believe. Given the right LED set, of course.

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the VT60 and the 900a and it sounds like you have impressions that would be really helpful for me. Have you posted that long list of pros and cons anywhere, and if not could you either post in here or just PM me? I'd really appreciate it, I keep going back and forth between the 2. I know you have an ST60 but I imagine that's close enough to the VT60 speaking strictly about the differences between a Panasonic plasma and the 900a.

If it helps at all, I don't game anymore but I imagine I will get back into it at some point in the next 5-6 years (an estimate of how long I'll hold onto this, if not longer). I watch a lot of sports and action movies on blu-ray (so being able to keep up with fast-paced action without a lot of blur is important). I don't care about 3D at all, or any Smart TV features really. I'm moving to Chicago soon and will be living in an apartment, and this will be the main and only TV for it. I currently have a ~6 year old Samsung LCD (the LNT4065F) so I know either way it will be a huge upgrade.

Thanks.
post #2531 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
@404Ender

Unless you have owned Plasma before and know about all the pros and cons of that tech, then the W900A will be your best choice. I think the Panny VT60 is great if your going to use it in a theater environment for viewing blue-ray movies. But for general purpose TV the W900A is the clear winner here.

VT60 - Pros, awesome blacks and color, Cons, Image retention (watching sports was the worse)
W900A - Pros, Plasma like color and pop, very good 3D, and a super crisp image. Cons, Blacks not as deep as VT60

This all just my personal opinion. tongue.gif

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #2532 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:

So this is common?

I feel a little better now. It's the only real flaw (outside of the weak speakers, god I miss my xbr2 sound) that I've noticed.
post #2533 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Liked: 11

I'm late to reply, but for anyone else using a PS3 and a calibration disc and experiencing the issue as me... better late then never, right?

I tried altering the output of my PS3 to full RGB (0-255) as well setting the input on my w900 to the same.  I really expected this to solve my problem, but it did not.  When I went back to the calibration screen on my WoW disc there was no change in the black/white levels.  And no matter what I did with the picture settings the black/white clipping was still noticeable.  So, I changed everything back to the presets on both the PS3 (limited RGB) and the TV (auto on the input).  When doing so I noticed an option on the PS3 to toggle on/off Super White.  I flipped it on and then checked my calibration disc.  Boom!  Instant detail in and the ability to adjust both black and white.  If you're using a PS3 and not seeing enough detail in or shades of black or white then turn on the Super White option on your PS3 and the problem should be resolved.

Taokane likes this.
post #2534 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

@404Ender

Unless you have owned Plasma before and know about all the pros and cons of that tech, then the W900A will be your best choice. I think the Panny VT60 is great if your going to use it in a theater environment for viewing blue-ray movies. But for general purpose TV the W900A is the clear winner here.

VT60 - Pros, awesome blacks and color, Cons, Image retention (watching sports was the worse)
W900A - Pros, Plasma like color and pop, very good 3D, and a super crisp image. Cons, Blacks not as deep as VT60

This all just my personal opinion. tongue.gif

Based on reviews and limited experience I expect a pro of the VT60 to be a much wider viewing angle whereas this would be a con of the w900 as its viewing angle is rather limited.  Not a big issue for home use as most people are going to be viewing their TV from almost straight on.  But it's worth noting for someone with a large open house who may be viewing the TV from other rooms (such as a kitchen or dining room) at angles other than straight on.

Another pro for the Panny is the price.  The VT60 is less expensive than the w900 already.  And Panasonic plasma TVs typically go down in price significantly as the time for next year's models approach.  High end Sony TVs might drop in price once, but that's it.  And that price drop is usually much less significant.

Pro for the w900 is that four pairs of active 3d glasses are included compared to the VT60 which only comes with two pairs (I believe).

post #2535 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I have this horizontal band. It is the main reason I am getting a replacement this week.

Also, I watched The World's End on BluRay on Xbox One the other day. Even when I turned on motionflow and all that jazz, I noticed that the panning, while smooth 90% of the time, had little stutters. It wasn't like my old tv, where a pan would constantly stutter accross the screen. It was like I was getting however many correct non-stuttering frames in a row and then miss a frame. It reminded me of what it sounds like when I read about 24fps being converted to 30fps, if that makes any sense. Could I be doing something wrong?
post #2536 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM

I posted this in the wrong forum when it was meant for the w900a:

Just wondering, I know this TV does not support HDMI 2.0 but does it support HDMI 1.4b ?

I know 1.4b is needed for 120hz 1080p as 1.4a does not support the bandwidth required. Would be great to do some 120hz gaming on it if possible.

post #2537 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Ender View Post

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the VT60 and the 900a and it sounds like you have impressions that would be really helpful for me. Have you posted that long list of pros and cons anywhere, and if not could you either post in here or just PM me? I'd really appreciate it, I keep going back and forth between the 2. I know you have an ST60 but I imagine that's close enough to the VT60 speaking strictly about the differences between a Panasonic plasma and the 900a.

If it helps at all, I don't game anymore but I imagine I will get back into it at some point in the next 5-6 years (an estimate of how long I'll hold onto this, if not longer). I watch a lot of sports and action movies. I'm moving to Chicago soon and will be living in an apartment, and this will be the main and only TV for it. I currently have a ~6 year old Samsung LCD (the LNT4065F) so I know either way it will be a huge upgrade.

Thanks.

Most would be happy with either set, however in my opinion and based on my experiences with my specific units:

60ST60

Pros:
Exclusivity. There's only a small window remaining to pick up the Panny plasmas before they disappear. Replacing a similar price/performance LED will be far easier than the Panny plasma.
Deep Blacks/high contrast. Believe what you read. This panel is simply amazing in this regard. Even better on the VT series. W900 is also very good but a step or two behind the Panny.
Color - slight edge to the ST after calibrating both in terms of color accuracy and a 'lifelike' image. The W900 is only a hair worse and this is saying a lot for the w900.
Scaling - excellent ...better than on the W900 which tends to look a little more 'soft' and introduces more artifacts than on the Panny.
Viewing angles.
TV sound is better than on the w900, but not by much. TV sound sucks on both, generally speaking. Non issue for me as they're both going through receivers.

Cons:
Slow processor. May be a little faster on the VT. On the ST the video processing can't quite 'keep up' introducing lip-sync problems and fast motion/camera panning judder, blurring and stuttering. I'm particularly sensitive to this and it may not bother others but I was shocked to find the W900 actually does motion better than the Panny.
Very noticeable input lag for gaming. The W900 is way better.
uninspiring physical appearance. Looks very plain in comparison to the sleek and modern looking w900
Dim panel in comparison to even other plasmas, let alone compared to the w900.
3d is so - so at best as the picture is even dimmer with the active 3d glasses.
Buzzing- not really a con as it's not noticeable from my 12ft viewing distance but within 3 feet you can clearly hear transformer buzz on white test slides. No buzz with the w900. It's really a non-issue for me anyway.
Burn in- I've seen terrible examples of such on these high-contrast panels which appear more susceptible to the problem. I have no such problem but have taken great care to babysit the Panny to safeguard it. This process is not for everyone.

W900

Pros
Much brighter panel for daytime and Active 3d viewing.
Better motion processing than the Panny plasma. Yes, I found this odd too.
Minimal lag for gaming / faster picture processing. Absolutely no lip sync problems with the w900.
Nicer physical design
Pleasing although not videophile level blacks/contrast/color. The only thing that spoils these somewhat on the w900 is also having an ST60 in the house smile.gif otherwise you would be hard-pressed to be dissatisfied.
You don't have to 'babysit' against burn-in.

Cons
Terrible viewing angles. If your seating position will be anything but 20 degrees from square on front, forget it. That's the angle I start to notice color brightness and contrast shifts.
Panel uniformity...inherent in the technology. My w900 has darker vertical edges and minor flashlighting. Minor clouding as well and some curious little 'bright spots' about the size of a dime right around the bezel areas . I will say these are not very noticeable with actual content on the screen as opposed to test slides and the w900 probably hides such anomalies better than most (if not all) LED panels I've seen.
Minor DSE. Again, a technology limitation. In comparison I found the DSE on the LG and Samsung LED panels far worse. The w900 hides it very well.

There is a definite difference between the 'plasma' vs. the LCD appearance of content, particularly with 24hz material. The plasmas have always looked more 'natural' to my eye and therefore more preferable. That's not to say everyone will distinguish this 'look' or even prefer a plasma look to that of LCD.

I've shortened my 'lists' to those items that I feel may be more relevant to buying decisions. I hope this helps.

In the end, both units represent exceptional examples in their respective technologies so most would be happy with either. It really depends on what you would primarily use the set for. In my case, over 70% of viewing involves movies in a dimmer setting so if I had to give one up I'd probably give up the w900, which would still bring a tear to my eye. On the other hand, if daytime viewing from a fully frontal seating position with lots of sports, interspersed with gaming, 3d content and not worrying about anti-burn-in safeguards were my thing, I'd keep the w900.
andremal likes this.
post #2538 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 AM

This was really helpful, thank you again. I might go to a store just to see the effect of viewing angles in-person, but otherwise I think I'm leaning towards the Sony. Your comments on the motion processor swayed me that way, as I'm pretty sensitive to juddering and lip-sync issues. Motion is probably more important to me than pure image quality (black levels, color, etc). I was also a little worried about IR so it will be really nice to not have to care. The higher price and smaller size kind of suck, but it's an investment in a device I'll have for a while so I can justify that.
post #2539 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Hello everyone, just traded my vt60 in for the Sony 900a. I am messing with the settings now and I only see three options. Standard, vivid, and custom. I see most settings I have looked at have Cinema listed as one. Why can't I see it?

post #2540 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoellAlex View Post

Hello everyone, just traded my vt60 in for the Sony 900a. I am messing with the settings now and I only see three options. Standard, vivid, and custom. I see most settings I have looked at have Cinema listed as one. Why can't I see it?

I'm assuming you need to change the "scene select"

Cinema-1 or whatever would only be available in the Cinema "scene," for instance.
post #2541 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Ender View Post

This was really helpful, thank you again. I might go to a store just to see the effect of viewing angles in-person, but otherwise I think I'm leaning towards the Sony. Your comments on the motion processor swayed me that way, as I'm pretty sensitive to juddering and lip-sync issues. Motion is probably more important to me than pure image quality (black levels, color, etc). I was also a little worried about IR so it will be really nice to not have to care. The higher price and smaller size kind of suck, but it's an investment in a device I'll have for a while so I can justify that.

You're welcome. As I said, it's hard to go wrong with either choice and you have indeed narrowed your options to 2 outstanding displays. Good luck.
P.S. Don't worry about the w900 panel uniformity that much. Again, during normal use this all but disappears unless you really look for it.
I figure 99.99% of the time viewing habits don't involve staring at colored slides and test patterns but simply enjoying one's content.
andremal likes this.
post #2542 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcdougal View Post

I'm assuming you need to change the "scene select"

Cinema-1 or whatever would only be available in the Cinema "scene," for instance.

Aha. That option didn't look selectable :cool:, and here I thought I tried everything. Thanks

post #2543 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnett215 View Post

So this is common?

I feel a little better now. It's the only real flaw (outside of the weak speakers, god I miss my xbr2 sound) that I've noticed.

I'm not sure just how common it is.  Thinking of playing the lottery again and seeing if a replacement would be free of this (I am within my 30 day Amazon window).

post #2544 of 5088 Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Lads has anyone here heard anything about the latest firmware update from Sony enabling interpolation in MotionFlow Impulse mode?

That mode was meant to be great for gaming as it had no interpolation and someone on this forum was saying the latest update has introduced interpolation to this mode. Would like to get some more info on this if possible, to confirm if it is true or not.

Thanks

post #2545 of 5088 Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcdougal View Post

I have this horizontal band. It is the main reason I am getting a replacement this week.

Also, I watched The World's End on BluRay on Xbox One the other day. Even when I turned on motionflow and all that jazz, I noticed that the panning, while smooth 90% of the time, had little stutters. It wasn't like my old tv, where a pan would constantly stutter accross the screen. It was like I was getting however many correct non-stuttering frames in a row and then miss a frame. It reminded me of what it sounds like when I read about 24fps being converted to 30fps, if that makes any sense. Could I be doing something wrong?

I noticed this stutter on Monsters University. The audio was not syncing properly either. I calibrated the audio using the Disney WOW disc. I checked the setting on the TV.
They were set to the following:

Motionflow True Cinema
CineMotion Auto

I turned both of these off and the issue was no longer present. No stuttering in the picture and the audio was fine.
post #2546 of 5088 Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post

Anyone else having trouble claiming their netflix and hulu plus free year with this tv? I try to submit it through the app on the tv and all i ever get is "please try again later" for days now

I tried this last night for the Netflix credit, and I am getting the same message now.

post #2547 of 5088 Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM

Hello everyone! I've been eyeing the 55W900A for a while now. I've been using a Samsung ES7100 since my old Sammy failed last fall. At the time it was an emergency replacement. I really wanted a 55" but could only afford the 46". I was, of course, grateful that my Wife allowed the emergency replacement! I've since moved to our Basement and the desire for a larger screen got bigger. Anyways, before this devolves in to my life history.. I've been researching models over the past few months and being a Playstation Gamer, this model really stood out.

Yesterday I finally go the go ahead from my Wife to purchase the Display. I printed out the Future Shop Sale page that was linked a few pages back in this thread (thanks guys!) and headed to Best Buy. A manager got involved and in the end, they wouldn't match the Future Shop price but they did drop it to $1,750. I had expected a big "No, we can't do that." so I pounced on the deal!

I brought my unit home and got it set up. I had read that it takes 2 people to install the stand but I was able to get it on myself with care. I must say, going from a 46 to a 55 is a pretty large increase. I love the size. The picture.. omg is the word that comes to mind. I love it. The black levels are fantastic compared to what I'm used to. I actually had to go into the Warframe options and turn up the brightness.

I'm not sure how to do in depth testing of my Panel, nor am I sure that I want to. When streaming audio to my Denon receiver most of the screen is black and it looks uniformed to me. I see no bad pixels. Everything seems top notch. Overall, I think I've got a great unit. My only complaint (small) is that using the stand with the TV sitting on my glass tv stand, the unit leans forward just a little. Not sure if there is a fix for that.

Regarding the Netflix/Hulu offer, I experienced the issue of "please try again later' as well. There is no active network functions (or whatever it should say) under Network on the Home tab either. I called Sony Support and a case was opened. I was told that I would be emailed a code to use for the Promo within 48 hours. I do have the Case # just in case.

I've messed with quite a few of the calibrations in this thread starting with Cnet. I've settled on the settings below posted by Vermeer which are a brighter version of the Cnet settings. It's going to fun continuing to play with them and seeing what I finally settle on.

Picture Mode Cinema 1

Backlight 8

Picture 95

Brightness 50

Color 50

Hue 0

Color Temperature Warm 1

Sharpness 52

Noise Reduction Off

MPEG Noise Reduction Off

Dot Noise Reduction Off

Reality Creation Off 

Video Area Detection Off [greyed out]

Resolution Min [greyed out]

Noise Filtering Min [greyed out]

Smooth Gradation Off

Motionflow true cinema 

CineMotion Auto

Advanced Settings sub menu

Black Corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Medium

Gamma -2

LED Dynamic Control Standard

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Color Off

White Balance [see below]

Detail Enhancer mediumf

Edge Enhancer medium

Skin Naturalizer Off [greyed out]

Display Speed Preference Off [greyed out]

White Balance sub-menu

R-Gain 0

G-Gain -3

B-Gain -6

R-Bias 0

G-Bias 0

B-Bias +1

Preferences->Scene Select: Cinema

--Eco sub-menu

Power Saving: Off

Scene Select Sync Off

Well, I think I've said enough for now. Glad to be here. Thank you everyone for all of the useful information posted here, along with the Calibration suggestions. This is a fantastic display.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A | Denon AVR-2113ci | PSB Image T6 | PSB Image C5 | PSB Image B6 | PS4 w/1TB Hybrid HD | 320G Slim PS3 | Woefully poor Comcast HD DVR
post #2548 of 5088 Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 AM

I am still having some trouble calibrating my w900 to achieve ideal white.  As a reminder I am using a PS3 as my BR player and the Disney WoW disc for calibration.

With the default settings I could not achieve ideal black or white using either the Beginner or Advanced tools.  For example, using the Advanced tools the ideal black and the ideal white stars were always invisible regardless of the adjustments of brightness, picture, back light, gamma, etc.  As suggested here I tried to remedy the problem by altering the output on the PS3 to full RGB and the input on the w900 to the same.  While that made a noticeable difference (for the better!) on the PS3 dashboard/gaming it seemed to have no effect on BR output.  After returning all settings on botht the PS3 and w900 to default I noticed an option on the PS3 to turn on Super White output.  When I did so I found that all the stars were visible on both the black and white calibration screens (this includes the stars should be invisible).  I was able to easily adjust the brightness to achieve ideal black (with plenty of headroom if I wanted to trade more detail for a less inky black).  But could never achieve ideal white.  No matter what the value for the Picture setting I can always see all the stars that should be invisible.  Which in some ways is to be expected since Super White is turned on.  But I find it difficult to believe that such a high end TV that is so highly reviewed cannot achieve ideal black or white.  And for devices that do not have options such as the PS3's Super White there appears to be no fix for this.

Is no one else having this problem?  Every other test on the WoW disc calibrates perfectly on my w900.  I would especially like to hear from those who used the WoW disc to calibrate their TV but welcome everyone's input.  Thanks.

post #2549 of 5088 Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

I'm getting the same message.

Me too, cant seem to get through.
post #2550 of 5088 Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubscrazy1 View Post

could never achieve ideal white. No matter what the value for the Picture setting I can always see all the stars that should be invisible. Which in some ways is to be expected since Super White is turned on. But I find it difficult to believe that such a high end TV that is so highly reviewed cannot achieve ideal black or white.

The description from the disc is not necessarily correct. Typically Sony does not allow a contrast setting that will clip near reference white. The range offered by Sony is likely completely fine, because the limited range may reduce some other possible problems when you go higher than Sony's allowable maximum setting. On my Sony TV I could enter the service menu to go higher and achieve the supposed "ideal", but I don't do that because the higher setting merely tends to cause other problems. Explaining things like WOW does is simple, but it's highly questionable, since it doesn't apply to many TVs. Even if Sony had given you that much range, going with the WOW description would not make the setting "ideal". My suggestion is just to set the contrast/picture control to maximum, since from a calibration standpoint that's probably better than being able to actually follow the WOW instructions.

Quote:
for devices that do not have options such as the PS3's Super White there appears to be no fix for this.

By default most video players, except computers, output the extra video range. The PS3 is unusual, since it doesn't output the extra range by default. Generally video players output like the PS3's Super White setting out of the box.
KnoellAlex likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page