Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my W900a since June and with minor setting changes great picture for both regular TY and movies,

Last week TV shut off by it's self and came right back on in about 10 seconds. Picture settings all changed. Also I had TV speakers of using Sony sound bar. Every now and then TV speakers turn on by itself. Checked with Sony and they said that there are no software updates to correct this issue. They had to order a card (probably processor) and it will take about a week for it to arrive.

Had the same probably with my HX850 with I had to settle for a buyout from Sony since they send me 2 replacement refurbished TV and they were both broken in the box.

Looks like I'm starting all over again. Very frustrating.

The color and picture were great before this happened.

No luck with Sony TV's

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Liked: 10
Hi, all. I've had my set up and running since late November and there's one thing bugging me about it that I wanted to check on.

I think it's "flashlighting" but I am not sure. In the upper left corner, all the way on the top edge and about 8 inches from the left edge, there is a small (about the size of a quarter) area that is sometimes brighter that the rest of the surrounding area. This doesn't happen at all when it's black or dark. But if I pull up say the Netflix screen of full red, it is generally uniform except this area, which is a different color. Brighter in that it looks lit up, but not a more brilliant red. The area of impact is about an inch wide at the edge, then as it comes in from the edge, it narrows into more or less a triangle. When first turning it on it isn't noticeable. It seems to have to "warm up" first.

Other than that, the set is generally flawless.

Is this flash lighting? Any thoughts on what I should do? It's not bad enough that I can't ignore it, but if it may worsen or is a sign of a bigger problem, perhaps I should take action. I think my return period ends in 2-3 days.

Thanks for the help!
post #2703 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 12:15 PM

It is normal for this set, see my pic on the last page to see how mine looks with an all gray background. If all you have is it in a couple of places then you are in good shape, I would not return it.
post #2704 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 PM

I just got this TV and noticed there is the ability to adjust "Sharpness" and also the ability to adjust "Resolution" (by setting Reality Creation to Manual). They seem to do the same thing and the descriptions included for each sound pretty similar too ("adjust the picture detail" and "adjust fineness and clarity"). Currently I have Sharpness set to 50 and Resolution set to Min but it is producing a soft picture. I've gone back and forth adjusting both, as well as looking at other people's calibration settings, and I'm a bit lost. Anyone want to weigh in?
post #2705 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anony73 View Post

I just got this TV and noticed there is the ability to adjust "Sharpness" and also the ability to adjust "Resolution" (by setting Reality Creation to Manual). They seem to do the same thing and the descriptions included for each sound pretty similar too ("adjust the picture detail" and "adjust fineness and clarity"). Currently I have Sharpness set to 50 and Resolution set to Min but it is producing a soft picture. I've gone back and forth adjusting both, as well as looking at other people's calibration settings, and I'm a bit lost. Anyone want to weigh in?

Off, turn it all off. Imo you get the best picture by turning off as many post processing elements as possible. So set sharpness to 50, which I believe is the neutral setting for this set, and reality creation to 'off' rather than 'manual.'
post #2706 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex1c0n View Post

Off, turn it all off. Imo you get the best picture by turning off as many post processing elements as possible. So set sharpness to 50, which I believe is the neutral setting for this set, and reality creation to 'off' rather than 'manual.'

When I do that the picture becomes too soft and when I increase "Sharpness" it just starts adding outlines to the edges of the images. Is there a way to get that razor sharp look?
post #2707 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

When I do that the picture becomes too soft and when I increase "Sharpness" it just starts adding outlines to the edges of the images. Is there a way to get that razor sharp look?

It might be your source material but if you're judging from a blu ray or some other pure hd source than it might be other settings such as the contrast setting or noise reduction or something in the advanced settings. It might also be that it's a bigger screen than what you had before (if that applies, I upgraded from a 42" and it was quite a difference, you might have had a big screen before as well) and therefore the picture inherently won't look as sharp. Hard to really pinpoint it down to one specific thing without being right in front of your set. But keep playing with the settings and you should be able to find something you like. I can tell you that after getting my settings where I wanted them I have had no complaints about sharpness with this set. Good luck and if you have questions about specific settings don't hesitate to ask most of us had questions in the beginning as well!
post #2708 of 5082 Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 PM

Hey I just recently bought a new 55W900A after reading some of this thread at boxing day. Watched a ton of blurays, 3d movies and PS4 games with it and I'm just in awe with the PQ. So now that I've checked it out and put up some color slides up I would like to know if this is normal. The picture is on a dark grey slide. On the right and left side there are a bunch of feint vertical lines and its more noticeable at the bottom. Also where can I find the register code in the settings? I looked everywhere in the network settings but its not there and I'd like to register my TV on the sony website.

Thanks everyone here for the TV recommendation! It was this TV or the 55VT60 and I feel I chose the better TV for me. :D

AppleMark

post #2709 of 5082 Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
In regards to the settings "sharpness", "Reality Creation" ....

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex1c0n View Post

Quote:

... one should be aware of some background information.

The "Sharpness" setting acts differently depending on the input resolution. In particular, it acts differently for 1080 Full-HD than it does for SD input.

The "Reality Creation: Resolution" setting acts differently depending on the chosen picture mode. (At least it does on the european models). In Cinema2 it acts much stronger as in Cinema1, and in General:Standard/Custom it acts similar to Cinema1, but IMO even another bit weaker.

In case of HD input, sharpness=50 already is (a tiny bit) oversharpened, the neutral point seems to be at 40. Go below 40, and the filter starts to do active blurring. Go below 25, and the blurring becomes really obvious. (Note that for a standard filter like unsharp masking, see next paragraph, "sharpening" and "blurring" are exactly the same thing, the difference is just a "+" or a "-" sign.)
For SD input it is different, the filter never is doing active blurring. Here sharpness=0 is perfectly neutral, up to 20 is free of noticeable oversharpening. I wouldn't recommend sharpness 50 (or even higher) fpr S input, in particular when Reality Creation is also used.

Technically, the "Sharpening" Filter is a basic unsharp-Masking filter with a not exactly "small" filter radius. Also, it acts stronger in the horizontal direction than it does in the vertical direction.
In contrast, the reality-creation sharpening is acting on a smaller radius, causing a more "fine" sharpening, compared to the more "broad" effect of the Sharpness filter. (You can't really speak of "radius" for RC-sharpening, since it is using fourier transform and is working in the frequency domain instead of the spatial x/y domain. But in the end, the effect is similar to a small-radius kernel filter.)

Lastly, one should be aware there is some interaction betwwen sharpness and RC:resolution, in particular when sharpness is set too high. On its own, its not a big problem if sharpness is set a little too high -- some minor oversharpening may go unnoticed and just "look good" even.
However when Reality Creation is activated, then you have to be more careful with sharpness. If there is any small oversharpening created by "Sharpness", this will be picked up by the RC-sharpening filter, and get even more emphasised.

_____

It might be a bit difficult if you're having different resolutions on the same input line. For me it's rather easy, because all inputs are exclusively either SD or HD.

For HD input, I have Sharpness=35, RC:Resolution=40/30 (Cinema1/2)
For SD input, I have Sharpness=10, RC:Resolution=45/35 (Cinema1/2)

(And in any case, set RC:Noisefilter to "min".)
dandiego likes this.
post #2710 of 5082 Old 01-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Thank you Didee, I really appreciate the response. However, I'm returning the TV. Ultimately I was not satisfied with the viewing angles.
post #2711 of 5082 Old 01-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Liked: 16
This will be annoying to most but helpful to some.....so, for the "some"....fry's electronics has this tv on sale for 1,699 for the next 4 days I think.

Kevin
post #2712 of 5082 Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't get what the complaints on the viewing angle are about, maybe a bad panel? My viewing angles are wide and even watching from extreme angles (if you can see the front) are fine although too wide for actually watching on any TV.

Also 240Hz is only really needed for active 3D since it is just duplicating frames and 120Hz is fast enough for our eyes not to see the screen flash on and off. 120Hz is so there is no 3:2 pulldown when duplicating frames as the source material will normally be 20,24,~30, and 60Hz. I wonder what happens when giving it a "direct source of an odd fps through USB or DLNA, does anyone have the stats on the supported fps of video files? I'm assuming it is 60Hz static or if the source content matches a supported list like above(dynamic).
BTW I prefer active 3D as it is full resolution not halved. I'll support passive once the screen does the polarization at full res maybe with polarized double shutter on the screen. Wishful thinking

Problems:
I had a stuck pixel (full green) in the lower right of the screen (with off-white and also a gray background) the first couple of days, but it hasn't appeared since.

I lose a major portion of applications from the SEN list and their internet connections when Netflix chokes and I back out, but re-setuping up my connection renews my dhcp settings and it works fine after updating the application list. (I think it's my router)

The TVs Smart Features crash the entire TV sometimes, sometimes only the application (possible related to the the other problem but out of memory) The firmware updates quite frequently so might not be a problem (rare)

My biggest problem is screen cleaning, a few finger prints got on the screen at delivery unpacking and some odd white crap that wouldn't come off at first but after awhile now seems to just slightly blur the screen like a thin layer spread where it was(I shine a flashlight into the screen when off to see it). I've been using those special high fiber count cloths for screen cleaning and light to no pressure. (I use the same type on blurays so they don't scratch)

Edit:
Thanks for the frys.com tip kwyatt. Amazon finally priced matched my TV

The UC Store Sells UV, DVD, and Blu-ray movies
post #2713 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyatt View Post

This will be annoying to most but helpful to some.....so, for the "some"....fry's electronics has this tv on sale for 1,699 for the next 4 days I think.

Thank you! I don't think it will go lower than this before being discontinued, so I will head over to Best Buy to price match.
post #2714 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didee View Post

In case of HD input, sharpness=50 already is (a tiny bit) oversharpened, the neutral point seems to be at 40. Go below 40, and the filter starts to do active blurring. Go below 25, and the blurring becomes really obvious. (Note that for a standard filter like unsharp masking, see next paragraph, "sharpening" and "blurring" are exactly the same thing, the difference is just a "+" or a "-" sign.)
For SD input it is different, the filter never is doing active blurring. Here sharpness=0 is perfectly neutral, up to 20 is free of noticeable oversharpening. I wouldn't recommend sharpness 50 (or even higher) fpr S input, in particular when Reality Creation is also used.
[...]
It might be a bit difficult if you're having different resolutions on the same input line. For me it's rather easy, because all inputs are exclusively either SD or HD.

For HD input, I have Sharpness=35, RC:Resolution=40/30 (Cinema1/2)
For SD input, I have Sharpness=10, RC:Resolution=45/35 (Cinema1/2)

If the sharpness filter does active blurring below 40, why do you set your sharpness setting to 35?

And does your SD input include HDTV broadcast? Or how is it possible that you have an exclusive input for HD/SD? I mean usually when I watch TV, the SD- and HDTV broadcasts come over the same input (SAT tuner) and can't be separated. So if I don't want to switch evertime between "HD sharpness" and "SD sharpness", is there some "middle" setting ?

post #2715 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 AM

I bought the 55W905 about a week ago. After some calibrating I have to say that I am quite pleased with the set. In terms of colors it has to be one of the best tv's I have ever seen. Blu-ray animation films are just jaw-dropping on this screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSoldier View Post

Hey I just recently bought a new 55W900A after reading some of this thread at boxing day. Watched a ton of blurays, 3d movies and PS4 games with it and I'm just in awe with the PQ. So now that I've checked it out and put up some color slides up I would like to know if this is normal. The picture is on a dark grey slide. On the right and left side there are a bunch of feint vertical lines and its more noticeable at the bottom. Also where can I find the register code in the settings? I looked everywhere in the network settings but its not there and I'd like to register my TV on the sony website.
Thanks everyone here for the TV recommendation! It was this TV or the 55VT60 and I feel I chose the better TV for me. biggrin.gif
AppleMark

I was also in doubt between the 55VT60 or the 55W905. I have seen them both in the store at the same time and after some calibrating the colors on both sets were almost identical. I chose the Sony because of the design with the small bezels, power consumption and no chance of buzzing or image retention. It also came with a 'free' Tablet Z.

But I have to admit that I am still in doubt which is the better choice for me. The only small negatives about the Sony are the viewing angle and the fact that sometimes the blacks are a bit affected when there is a light object on the screen, but these things really are minor flaws which most people probably won't even notice.
I have never owned a plasma set, but I keep reading everywhere that plasma is the best. I did notice that plasma tends to be that littlebit more pleasing to the eye to watch.
On the other hand I don't want to have to worry about things like image retention and buzzing and I really like the design of the Sony. The small bezels really add to the viewing experience.

So far I am still intending on keeping the Sony. I am having a friend over this week who owns a plasma screen, so I am really curious about his reaction to the W905.
post #2716 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnysG View Post

Also, did your TVs only come with 2 screws for the wall mount? Mine didn't come with 4 - only 2.

Just bought this TV and was horrified to learn it only came with 2 VESA screws. I'm now unable to attach it to my pre-existing wall mount and my previous TV's VESA screws don't work on the KDL55W900A. So where can I find 2 more compatible VESA screws for the KDL55W900A or does anyone have the exact specification of these screws so I can attempt to source them from somewhere. Honestly, Sony... thanks for nothing.
post #2717 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male1974 View Post

Just bought this TV and was horrified to learn it only came with 2 VESA screws. I'm now unable to attach it to my pre-existing wall mount and my previous TV's VESA screws don't work on the KDL55W900A. So where can I find 2 more compatible VESA screws for the KDL55W900A or does anyone have the exact specification of these screws so I can attempt to source them from somewhere. Honestly, Sony... thanks for nothing.

I don't think I've ever had a TV come with the VESA screws. Usually those come with the mount. If you have the mount hardware pull out that and look through it. If you don't, I just sized mine up yesterday. They are M6 screws. The manual states that you want a long enough screw (please confirm this as I am going by memory) that the threaded portion of the screw sticks past the back of the mount in to the TV by 8-12mm.
post #2718 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 14
i got the pkg4.101eua update a few days ago and i´m having some issues since then:
the sound with a connected audio system (onky 609) doesn´t work when the tv is turned on the first time. i have to turn it off and back on again to get any sound. simply switching the tv back to tv speakers and then back to audio system doesn´t help.
weird thing is, that the ARC controls work fine, because the TV turns the AVR on/off and puts it on the correct mode ("TV/CD").
the other thing is that the youtube app won´t autoplay anymore, once one video is done it´s black screen until i select the next video manually.
post #2719 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

Thank you! I don't think it will go lower than this before being discontinued, so I will head over to Best Buy to price match.

Yeah. Thanks. I will be going back to Fry's for a pricematch as well.
post #2720 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix View Post

Yeah. Thanks. I will be going back to Fry's for a pricematch as well.

Any point to me contacting Amazon to attempt a discount?
post #2721 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!! I initially had my eye on the 60" Samsung F7100, but after realizing I only had room for a 55" TV, this set became my top choice, especially considering the PQ and input lag. At this price, it's a no-brainer. smile.gif It took a lot of persistence, but I got Amazon.com to agree to match the Frys price. I really appreciate the heads-up. smile.gif

I've read through this thread several times. I anticipate I'll be back with questions once everything is set up.
post #2722 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcdougal View Post

Any point to me contacting Amazon to attempt a discount?

Just missed you by 39 seconds. smile.gif It took me three different reps, and a team lead, but amazon.com matched the price for me. I went through chat. Be polite but persistent. Here are the hang-ups I encountered.

1. When you first go to frys.com, the price for the tv shows as $2,999. I had to insist that they add the TV to their shopping cart and check out to see the final price.

2. There is a 3rd party merchant called "Video & Audio Center" with a lower price than amazon.com. They kept telling me that they couldn't price match for 3rd party merchants. It took several rounds for them to realize that they, themselves, also sold the w900a. Once they figured this out...

3. The said that because there was a timeframe associated with the frys.com sale, (when purchased between 01/12/2014 and 01/16/2014), they couldn't honor the price match. I argued that *every* sale has a timeframe. Otherwise it's not a sale, it's the regular price. I asked to speak with a manager, and a team lead eventually approved the PM.

With the team lead online/connected to our chat session, I had to buy the TV at Amazon's regular price, then she adjusted the price after I completed the purchase. It is showing up in my order history as $1,699.

Good luck!
post #2723 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks Man! I went to Best Buy and they honored the price match on the TV that I bought on the 7th.
post #2724 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAspirations View Post

I don't think I've ever had a TV come with the VESA screws. Usually those come with the mount. If you have the mount hardware pull out that and look through it. If you don't, I just sized mine up yesterday. They are M6 screws. The manual states that you want a long enough screw (please confirm this as I am going by memory) that the threaded portion of the screw sticks past the back of the mount in to the TV by 8-12mm.

Yeah, my TV came with screws in 2 of the 4 VESA mount holes as well. Not sure why only 2. In any case, those 2 screws are much too short to work with most 3rd party VESA mounts anyway, so you should use the screws that came with the mount or buy some M6 screws.
post #2725 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

Yeah, my TV came with screws in 2 of the 4 VESA mount holes as well. Not sure why only 2. In any case, those 2 screws are much too short to work with most 3rd party VESA mounts anyway, so you should use the screws that came with the mount or buy some M6 screws.

Those screws are not for use with a mount, they are there to show you what size and depth screws to use so you do not end up poking a hole through your tv smile.gif
post #2726 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixseven View Post

Just missed you by 39 seconds. smile.gif It took me three different reps, and a team lead, but amazon.com matched the price for me. I went through chat. Be polite but persistent. Here are the hang-ups I encountered.

1. When you first go to frys.com, the price for the tv shows as $2,999. I had to insist that they add the TV to their shopping cart and check out to see the final price.

2. There is a 3rd party merchant called "Video & Audio Center" with a lower price than amazon.com. They kept telling me that they couldn't price match for 3rd party merchants. It took several rounds for them to realize that they, themselves, also sold the w900a. Once they figured this out...

3. The said that because there was a timeframe associated with the frys.com sale, (when purchased between 01/12/2014 and 01/16/2014), they couldn't honor the price match. I argued that *every* sale has a timeframe. Otherwise it's not a sale, it's the regular price. I asked to speak with a manager, and a team lead eventually approved the PM.

With the team lead online/connected to our chat session, I had to buy the TV at Amazon's regular price, then she adjusted the price after I completed the purchase. It is showing up in my order history as $1,699.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I actually ordered mine Nov 29th, received Dec 6, swapped out for a new one a week or so ago. So my recent order is done already, but within the past 14 days I think. I wonder what my odds are for a retroactive price match?

I already paid for it using an amazon credit "card"
post #2727 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcdougal View Post

Thanks!

I actually ordered mine Nov 29th, received Dec 6, swapped out for a new one a week or so ago. So my recent order is done already, but within the past 14 days I think. I wonder what my odds are for a retroactive price match?

I already paid for it using an amazon credit "card"

I think you need to invoke the "TV Low Price Guarantee", not a price match. Here's the first thing they say regarding their TV Low Price Guarantee:

If you find a lower price on another qualifying retailer within 14 days after the date we ship your order, let us know and we'll credit your original payment method taking any differences in shipping and promotions into account.
post #2728 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Those screws are not for use with a mount, they are there to show you what size and depth screws to use so you do not end up poking a hole through your tv smile.gif

I see, thanks.

You would think if someone found that their screw was starting to bottom out in the hole of the TV before it was tight they would stop screwing and use a shorter screw. ;-)
post #2729 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SToRM666 View Post

So far I am still intending on keeping the Sony. I am having a friend over this week who owns a plasma screen, so I am really curious about his reaction to the W905.

I'll be interested in hearing his impressions. I currently have a 55ST50 that has developed the yellow blob problem so it needs to be replaced. I love love love the picture quality, but IR worries and general quality worries (yellow blob issue is flat out a design defect) are making me shy away from replacing it with a VT60. The W900A is currently leading the pack for a replacement TV and I may purchase later in the week. My main fear is I will hate going back to LCD after 20 months with plasma. However, I don't see that I have a choice. Not only are there very few products that are available to buy, I just found plasma to be too high maintenance for me. I'm just tired about worrying about network bug IR and gaming.
post #2730 of 5082 Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

I'll be interested in hearing his impressions. I currently have a 55ST50 that has developed the yellow blob problem so it needs to be replaced. I love love love the picture quality, but IR worries and general quality worries (yellow blob issue is flat out a design defect) are making me shy away from replacing it with a VT60. The W900A is currently leading the pack for a replacement TV and I may purchase later in the week. My main fear is I will hate going back to LCD after 20 months with plasma. However, I don't see that I have a choice. Not only are there very few products that are available to buy, I just found plasma to be too high maintenance for me. I'm just tired about worrying about network bug IR and gaming.

I traded the Panasonic 60ST60 because of image retention for the Sony 55W900A. I know a lot of people talk and compare LED/LCD to Plasma, but honestly the only trade off between to the 2 sets was I lost some black level, viewing angles are not an issue for me since our main seating in directly in front of the set. Color and contrast was still spot on with the ST60 and sports was absolutely gorgeous on the W900A. Truly the best LED/LCD of 2013.

**I should add that between the ST60 and the W900A I tried the Samsung 60 F8000, but it had bad flash lighting and clouding in the panel.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page