Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 4925 Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

One thing I noticed is white balance settings are tied to the color temp per input. So, if you calibrate Warm 2 for Cinema, you can't use different settings for Warm 2 on Game-Original.
what do u have for your settings where u live in the game mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 4925 Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

They are both the exact same, with no differences in input lag.
Thank u one question how do u like your tv so far i bought mine yesterday and its amazing i am really trying to get the best detail and response time out of it
post #2883 of 4925 Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnalexgarcia View Post

Thank u one question how do u like your tv so far i bought mine yesterday and its amazing i am really trying to get the best detail and response time out of it

Well I now have 2 of them, so that should say something. The w900a is extremely responsive while maintaing good picture quality, which is a rarity. Put it in game mode, and then turn detail enhancer on either low or high if you want extreme detail. Make sure edge enhancement is off when using detail enhancer.
johnalexgarcia likes this.
post #2884 of 4925 Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Well I now have 2 of them, so that should say something. The w900a is extremely responsive while maintaing good picture quality, which is a rarity. Put it in game mode, and then turn detail enhancer on either low or high if you want extreme detail. Make sure edge enhancement is off when using detail enhancer.
Sounds good i put detail enhancer on low i dont want it to effect my response time thank u so much anything else i should turn on everything else is off and im using game original and on xbox one using 36bit color in settings hoping to get deep colors you know...
post #2885 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojtaba View Post

Hi,

I am new in Canada and Toronto. I am very much interested in Sony KDL-55W900A (although ultimate option was XBR-55 but being on budget ...)
Anybody can advise that where to buy a reliable product with a good price. Should I buy from Sony Galleries or Future Shop or somewhere like Walmart? Which one you recomment. Today price shows $2,100 and Sony Gallery sells at the same rate.

Second question is that new models will be in the market, but when?

I just bought this TV a week ago from Future Shop and was able to price match with this https://www.topchoiceelectronics.com/KDL55W900A

Come out to $1650cdn for me, and I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.
post #2886 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 AM

For anybody who's run into center-speaker placement issues with this low-sitting TV, I found a decent solution last night:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WOUPHK/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

My Center channel should fit in under there snugly (with ~0.5" to spare).  It's rated to hold 100lbs, so I feel safe placing the TV on top of it.

Ill post a pic once I receive and set it up.

post #2887 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Thank you RunRonieRun. That was very kind of you.

post #2888 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Liked: 15
So when I bought my TV at Future Shop I also purchased their 4 year extended warranty for a total of $330. The difference being without this if something happened to the TV I would have to take it to the service centre in town even if something happened within the first year of Sony's warranty in comparison to my current plan in which they send someone to my house for repair work or replacement.

What is your opinion of the this price for a 4 year plan? Too much? I feel having at home servicing for 4 years at this price isn't too bad.
post #2889 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojtaba View Post

Thank you RunRonieRun. That was very kind of you.

No problem. I'm really enjoying this set right now and I haven't come across any of the issues that people have reported here.

Futureshop is a little notorious around here for their complete disregard of their own Price Match policies, so I wish you all the luck. I just noticed that Futureshop increased their price by $100 from when I bought it, so that'll make it $1640 with Price Match. $10 cheaper than what I bought it for. Maybe I should've waited a week :)

post #2890 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett1130 View Post

Hey everyone,

Went into Best Buy today to get my TV - they price matched the Frys deal no problem!  I'm VERY pleased with the picture quality - I'm pretty sure I've come away with a good panel.  Admittedly I haven't hooked my PC up to look at any single-color screens, but various setup-screens when I'm going through the menus on my receiver have shown me a nice, uniform picture without any obvious banding or dead pixels or anything.  This TV looks AWESOME!

However, I hadn't considered how low the television sits.  I have the Energy 5.1 Classic home theater system, and the center speaker is ~4 or 4.5" tall - jutting several inches into the display.  Here's a picture of my situation; I wonder if anybody has any obvious recommendations *other than wall mounting* :

As you can see, I also don't have much forward/backward space on the TV stand I have. The TV stand is~2 inches from the back of the stand surface. I'm willing to get a new stand, if need be, but I'd rather try to find a small piece of furniture that would lift the TV up several inches and allow me to either slot the center speaker in under it, or in front of it.  Ideally, the speaker would somehow fit *under* the TV, that way I won't have to push the TV back so far.

I don't want to set the center speaker on the shelf below there - that will obstruct the quality of sound, being only 2 or so feet off the ground. 

I wonder if any of you have run into the problem and come up with solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I bought a DIY shelf rack from Storables (similar to The Container Store) and I'm 100% satisfied with the result. I have the Sony ST7 soundbar and I just needed a shelf/stand/riser to live my TV about 4 - 5". My speaker does not sit under the shelf as it is 42" wide and I thought it would look kind of awkward having a long metal shelf above the speakers. Instead, the shelf is about 4" high and you cannot see it above the ST7 soundbar. I'll take a pic of the setup when I get home tonight.

Here are the pieces that I bought:
14" x 24" Black Steel Wire Shelf: $16.00
8" Black Steel Post: $4.00 each (bought 4 and they can cut them down to the exact size you need)
14" x 24" Black Melamine Shelf Overlay: $9

The total was $41 + tax. It looks similar to this, but in slightly different dimensions, mine has the Black Melamine Shelf Overlay, and mine is in black. Short Shelf/Monitor Stand
post #2891 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett1130 View Post

Hey everyone,

Went into Best Buy today to get my TV - they price matched the Frys deal no problem!  I'm VERY pleased with the picture quality - I'm pretty sure I've come away with a good panel.  Admittedly I haven't hooked my PC up to look at any single-color screens, but various setup-screens when I'm going through the menus on my receiver have shown me a nice, uniform picture without any obvious banding or dead pixels or anything.  This TV looks AWESOME!

However, I hadn't considered how low the television sits.  I have the Energy 5.1 Classic home theater system, and the center speaker is ~4 or 4.5" tall - jutting several inches into the display.  Here's a picture of my situation; I wonder if anybody has any obvious recommendations *other than wall mounting* :

As you can see, I also don't have much forward/backward space on the TV stand I have. The TV stand is~2 inches from the back of the stand surface. I'm willing to get a new stand, if need be, but I'd rather try to find a small piece of furniture that would lift the TV up several inches and allow me to either slot the center speaker in under it, or in front of it.  Ideally, the speaker would somehow fit *under* the TV, that way I won't have to push the TV back so far.

I don't want to set the center speaker on the shelf below there - that will obstruct the quality of sound, being only 2 or so feet off the ground. 

I wonder if any of you have run into the problem and come up with solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I need to lift Sony a little as otherwise center speaker would cover the lover edge of the screen. I lift it up for 58mm. Base is custom made by local joiner. But as I see you have also a problem with space just infront of the TV. In that case I think you will need to move this cabinet a little bit forward so that you gain necessary space for the center speaker. This is my solution.

best, d.
post #2892 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Since this tv didn't come with any drawstring bags for the 3D glasses like my old samsung did, I'm trying figure out the best way to store and protect them from dust and scatches. I'm curious as to what methods some of the people on this forum are using. Any suggestions?
post #2893 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post

I need to lift Sony a little as otherwise center speaker would cover the lover edge of the screen. I lift it up for 58mm. Base is custom made by local joiner. But as I see you have also a problem with space just infront of the TV. In that case I think you will need to move this cabinet a little bit forward so that you gain necessary space for the center speaker. This is my solution.

best, d.

I did something similar to this, I have an HT-CT260H in front of mine.  I bought a 2x12 plank, cut it to size (20"), sanded the edges, then stained it black-brown to match my entertainment center.

planemechfrito likes this.
post #2894 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I really wish I could find a clear explanation as to what "True Cinema" mode does under motion flow. It says it preserves the original framerate of 24fps material, but my eyes tell me that something is up.

Reviews have stated that the TV deals with proper 24fps cadence without judder from blu-ray even when motion flow is set to off. So, what could "True Cinema" be doing when turned to on with a 24fps blu-ray?

I do notice very subtle differences in smoothing between a setting of OFF and a setting of True Cinema. But if off preserves the original cadence and just does frame duplication, then True Cinema must be doing some sort of interpolation. However, the user manual says explicitly " Images, such as a movie created in 24 frames per second, are reproduced at the original framerate", so it shouldn't be doing interpolation at all and have the same effect of being off. The only other variable in this is backlight scanning, but I don't notice any difference in brightness between the two settings, so that's unlikely as well.

Turning on True Cinema with native 24ftp input from blu-ray doesn't quite have a SOE, but it IS smoother than having Motionflow off. I'm just trying to decide which is the most "correct" motion.
post #2895 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM

Quick question if someone has a moment to answer. I bought this to replace a 7 year old (46") Sharp LCD TV and I am a little disappointed at the performance of this TV in comparison. If anyone has any comments on the following I'd appreciate the help:

Black levels appear no better than my old TV, I tested this with the first scene of Batman: Dark Knight (Blu ray), movement and details in dark sections were gray and lacked any detail. A PS3 was the source for this if this can affect the picture. This is my main issue. However I did this test right away after setup with the only setting change being a switch to full pixel and Cinema 1 scene.

OTA HD Cable appears weaker and lower quality. Channels which we would receive easily on our previous Sharp were not being received at all on the new Sony.
post #2896 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

If that's all you changed, then that's why you have that impression. There's a whole ton of post processing on my default in the Cinema 1 setting that needs to be disabled and then you need to throw up a test pattern to make sure that reference black is faded into the background and that you aren't clipping white on the contrast.

Basically, most of the enhancers you should turn to off while leaving the LED control at low. That, after brightness/contrast adjustment, should give you a very black picture (at least while you are on the TV's center axis.)

The picture does grey noticeably if you get outside of a central cone of a few degrees.
post #2897 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Still reads 20.1ms. The only settings that change input lag in game mode are motion flow and LED dynamic control.
So if its on game standard or game original that doesnt effect lag?
post #2898 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 PM

Hey guys, got this tv about a month ago and I was wondering if anybody has trouble trying to connect their laptops via screen mirroring.

I'm trying to connect my Asus UX31A using Windows 8.1 that supports miracast. I am able to stream media using "Play To" feature and I can get content on the screen. However when I try to connect via Screen Mirroring the TV recognizes my laptop, and says "Preparing Screen Mirroring. Please wait...". After a few seconds the TV outputs "Failed to connect with device". Both the tv and the laptop have the latest firmwares. What's even more strange is when it fails to connect it just tanks my wifi setup and I have to reset my router.

post #2899 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Hi, anyone here that wall mounted this TV and don't need the stand and want to sell it?, we can arrange the deal through ebay. BTW, can anyone tell me the measurements of the stand?, Thanks
post #2900 of 4925 Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkie View Post

Hi, anyone here that wall mounted this TV and don't need the stand and want to sell it?, we can arrange the deal through ebay. BTW, can anyone tell me the measurements of the stand?, Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-original-stand-for-Sony-55-TV-kdl-55w900a-/121252602004?pt=US_TV_Mounts_Brackets&hash=item1c3b37e094

post #2901 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 AM

Liked: 21
Has anybody compared this tv with the 65 inch Sony W850A in terms of colours and picture?
post #2902 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysmahal View Post

I bought a DIY shelf rack from Storables (similar to The Container Store) and I'm 100% satisfied with the result. I have the Sony ST7 soundbar and I just needed a shelf/stand/riser to live my TV about 4 - 5". My speaker does not sit under the shelf as it is 42" wide and I thought it would look kind of awkward having a long metal shelf above the speakers. Instead, the shelf is about 4" high and you cannot see it above the ST7 soundbar. I'll take a pic of the setup when I get home tonight.

Here are the pieces that I bought:
14" x 24" Black Steel Wire Shelf: $16.00
8" Black Steel Post: $4.00 each (bought 4 and they can cut them down to the exact size you need)
14" x 24" Black Melamine Shelf Overlay: $9

The total was $41 + tax. It looks similar to this, but in slightly different dimensions, mine has the Black Melamine Shelf Overlay, and mine is in black. Short Shelf/Monitor Stand

Here are the photos of the shelf that I made from the Storables store.

p.s. Go Hawks!
post #2903 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysmahal View Post

Here are the photos of the shelf that I made from the Storables store.

p.s. Go Hawks!

How do you like your sound bar? im in the market for one but dont know what to get.

post #2904 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAspirations View Post

Quick question if someone has a moment to answer. I bought this to replace a 7 year old (46") Sharp LCD TV and I am a little disappointed at the performance of this TV in comparison. If anyone has any comments on the following I'd appreciate the help:

Black levels appear no better than my old TV, I tested this with the first scene of Batman: Dark Knight (Blu ray), movement and details in dark sections were gray and lacked any detail. A PS3 was the source for this if this can affect the picture. This is my main issue. However I did this test right away after setup with the only setting change being a switch to full pixel and Cinema 1 scene.

OTA HD Cable appears weaker and lower quality. Channels which we would receive easily on our previous Sharp were not being received at all on the new Sony.

There are a few things you may try doing, like in the Preferences area go to Eco and turn everything off. After that you may want to try some of the posted settings in this thread to get started and see how you like them. The W900A is a gorgeous set after some good tweaking, and I only watch OTA HD as well and the picture is as crisp and clear with great color pop as I have seen on any TV including last years Panny Plasma's. biggrin.gif

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #2905 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
@ HighAspirations

Here's something to get you started, as you can tweak to your liking.

This setup gave the best of just about everything, contrast/detail, Black level, color pop, motion flow, and clarity.
Suited for DVD/Blue Ray viewing.

Picture mode - cinema 1
Backlight - 5
Picture - 90
Brightness - 48
Color - 54
Hue - 0
Color Temp - Warm 2
Sharpness - 55
Noise Reduction - Auto
Reality Creation - manual, Resolution 65, Noise Filtering - 50
Motionflow - Standard

Everything Else Off

Advanced Settings
Gamma - -2
LED Dynamic Control - Standard
White Balance

Everything else is Off

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #2906 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Does anyone here have dead pixels? On my original w900a that I bought early of last year, it does not have a single dead pixel. My second w900a that I got recently was full of dead pixels, then went to exchange it and that one too had dead pixels. I had them open one in the store and that one also had a bunch of dead pixels. So far 3 out of 3 newer w900a's I have had or seen had dead pixels. I checked the panel model in the service menu and all 3 have the same panel number as my original w900a, so the panel has not changed. Where is the quality control here Sony? Anyone else have dead pixels?
post #2907 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 214
^^ I don't.
post #2908 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a single one. Sony's policy is you need to have >3 for warranty replacement.

i'm not bothered by it at all, it vanishes after about 4 feet away.
post #2909 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Non so far that I've been able to notice, but am crossing my fingers.
post #2910 of 4925 Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixorz View Post

How do you like your sound bar? im in the market for one but dont know what to get.

I've only had the TV and soundbar for about a week now and I've only watched a few hours of TV and one movie on it. So far I'm impressed. The build quality is top-notch and it's really easy to hook up. I have one HDMI going from the TV to the soundbar. And then my TiVo Roamio and Google TV bluray Player both hooked up to the soundbar directly. If I turn the TiVo or the bluray player on, the soundbar automatically turns on and you can adjust the volume from the TiVo/TV remote.

The surround sound while watching a movie was pretty good and the bass from the subwoofer is nice. Although, I'm not the best to judge as I'm not a diehard audiophile. I just wanted to get something simple enough for my wife to use with the TV. Before I had a receiver and 5.1 surround sound and my wife couldn't figure out how to watch a movie with the surround sound. I even had a logitech harmony remote set-up to turn everything on, but those harmony remotes have a delay and sometimes the devices don't always turn on.

My only complaints from my short time using it are:
1) Since my devices are hooked up to the soundbar and not directly to the TV, I don't think I can have different picture settings for the TiVo Roamio (HD Cable) and for the bluray player. Both are technically showing as HDMI 1 on the TV.
2) The remote for the soundbar doesn't have a direct input for each HDMI. So when you hit input on the remote it cycles through all the options (e.g. TV, then HDMI1, then HDMI2, then HDMI3, etc).
3) It's pretty pricey for what it is. I did get the $300 off since I bought it with the TV. I was also able to get the KDL-55W900A for $1600 USD with my work email since my company has an EPP discount with Sony.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page