Official Sony KDL-55W900A Owners Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 4987 Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got mine today. So far, so good. But can it really be that the remote is not in the slightest programmable? I just want to be able to run the volume of my Sony receiver. If I can't, what's a good universal remote? What do you all like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 4987 Old 01-21-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaestro View Post

Just got mine today. So far, so good. But can it really be that the remote is not in the slightest programmable? I just want to be able to run the volume of my Sony receiver. If I can't, what's a good universal remote? What do you all like?
This tv is amazing best tv i ever owned i swear 10 of 10 EXPECIALLY FOR GAMING PS4 and XBOX ONE!
post #2913 of 4987 Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Liked: 11

Screen uniformity (DSE and Banding specifically) seems to be a prevalent problem for the w900.  I've heard the argument that no screen is perfect, but certainly some are at least better than others.  And I have watched several other HDTVs that cost considerably less with much better screen uniformity than my w900.  The more time I spend watching content the more the banding and to a lesser degree the DSE bothers me.  I would exchange my w900 in store for another to see if I could get a more uniform screen, but I am about 2 weeks beyond my return window.  So, I figured I would call Sony to see what their policy was concerning screen uniformity issues.  The first person I spoke with had no idea what the term "banding" or "DSE" was or meant.  Trying to explain that over the phone is difficult.  Questions such as, "Can you see the lines 100% of the time across the screen?" can be misleading to someone who is not familiar with banding.  After bouncing between four different customer reps and tech support personnel I was never able to get anyone who had any knowledge of any screen uniformity issue.  The last rep took all my info and recorded the problem as best he could according to my description.  He said that my issue would be sent to another department who would try to replicate the problem.  I would then be contacted to see if further action was necessary (repair or replacement).  Obviously banding and DSE cannot be repaired (but the reps weren't getting that).  Nothing may come of this, but I figured I would at least try.

Has anyone else tried to contact Sony concerning banding or DSE?  If so what was the outcome?  I seem to remember one member here who said Sony would only offer him a re-certified replacement.  That seems odd to me... as if Sony was admitting the TV was defective, but not willing to replace it with a new w900.  Either Sony admits the TV is defective or says that the screen uniformity issues is within their expected norm.  Just wondering if anyone has 

post #2914 of 4987 Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Does anyone here have dead pixels? On my original w900a that I bought early of last year, it does not have a single dead pixel. My second w900a that I got recently was full of dead pixels, then went to exchange it and that one too had dead pixels. I had them open one in the store and that one also had a bunch of dead pixels. So far 3 out of 3 newer w900a's I have had or seen had dead pixels. I checked the panel model in the service menu and all 3 have the same panel number as my original w900a, so the panel has not changed. Where is the quality control here Sony? Anyone else have dead pixels?

Well I have one stuck pixel, but you already know that. smile.gif You better try another store in case they had a bad batch.
post #2915 of 4987 Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubscrazy1 View Post

Screen uniformity (DSE and Banding specifically) seems to be a prevalent problem for the w900.  I've heard the argument that no screen is perfect, but certainly some are at least better than others.  And I have watched several other HDTVs that cost considerably less with much better screen uniformity than my w900.  The more time I spend watching content the more the banding and to a lesser degree the DSE bothers me.  I would exchange my w900 in store for another to see if I could get a more uniform screen, but I am about 2 weeks beyond my return window.  So, I figured I would call Sony to see what their policy was concerning screen uniformity issues.  The first person I spoke with had no idea what the term "banding" or "DSE" was or meant.  Trying to explain that over the phone is difficult.  Questions such as, "Can you see the lines 100% of the time across the screen?" can be misleading to someone who is not familiar with banding.  After bouncing between four different customer reps and tech support personnel I was never able to get anyone who had any knowledge of any screen uniformity issue.  The last rep took all my info and recorded the problem as best he could according to my description.  He said that my issue would be sent to another department who would try to replicate the problem.  I would then be contacted to see if further action was necessary (repair or replacement).  Obviously banding and DSE cannot be repaired (but the reps weren't getting that).  Nothing may come of this, but I figured I would at least try.

Has anyone else tried to contact Sony concerning banding or DSE?  If so what was the outcome?  I seem to remember one member here who said Sony would only offer him a re-certified replacement.  That seems odd to me... as if Sony was admitting the TV was defective, but not willing to replace it with a new w900.  Either Sony admits the TV is defective or says that the screen uniformity issues is within their expected norm.  Just wondering if anyone has 

Well lots of these thin LCD TVs have this problem. I briefly owned a Samsung 32F5500, 40F6300 and a 55F6300. The latter 2 were terrible with banding and DSE. The 5500 was OK probably only because it was so small. Most everything else I looked at in the store had some form of it.

Certainly any tech support personnel should know what banding and DSE on a set is, otherwise how knowledgeable could they possibly be and why are they even employed as tech support people? Of course that leaves the possibility that they know very well what you are talking about but are playing stupid. Did they not offer to send a tech out to see for himself?
post #2916 of 4987 Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Does anyone here have dead pixels? On my original w900a that I bought early of last year, it does not have a single dead pixel. My second w900a that I got recently was full of dead pixels, then went to exchange it and that one too had dead pixels. I had them open one in the store and that one also had a bunch of dead pixels. So far 3 out of 3 newer w900a's I have had or seen had dead pixels. I checked the panel model in the service menu and all 3 have the same panel number as my original w900a, so the panel has not changed. Where is the quality control here Sony? Anyone else have dead pixels?

Yes, as I've mentioned a few times. I have one down in the lower right-hand corner. Will go totally dark but if there is any other color other than black it is some shade of blue or white. Will go fully white as well. Luckily it is not in my primary field of view and so I didn't bother with it. Got my set delivered on July 4th. I know, great 4th for sure.
post #2917 of 4987 Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysmahal View Post

I was also able to get the KDL-55W900A for $1600 USD with my work email since my company has an EPP discount with Sony.

I also have a similar EPP with Sony from my company. I am wondering if it is worth buying it for $1600 + CA tax which would come close to $1750 with the environment fee. I am wondering if I should wait for a bit to see if the price drops further.
post #2918 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 173
So after trying out 4 different w900a's I finally found one that had no dead pixels like my original w900a. Side by side they look exactly the same. Excellent uniformity, with no banding but some DSE. The three that I tried before this that had dead pixels all had December 2013 build dates. This one has a November 2013 build date. Can anyone here with dead pixel(s) post their build date? Maybe certain months got bad batches.
post #2919 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I guarantee you that there is not an LCD on this planet that compares to the color and depth of the w900a. If only it was made in a bigger size than 55" rolleyes.gif Here are some pictures of my new w900a, and obviously it looks even better in person:

post #2920 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 AM

The awesome screen quality combined with the thin frame give a really nice effect sometimes, where it is just like looking through a window.
I have been in doubt about exchanging it for a plasma, not because I wasn't happy with it, but because I thought plasma would be even better.
But my set is so good that I am afraid that I will regret exchanging it and getting IR, buzzing and line bleed instead.
post #2921 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkpie View Post

Well lots of these thin LCD TVs have this problem. I briefly owned a Samsung 32F5500, 40F6300 and a 55F6300. The latter 2 were terrible with banding and DSE. The 5500 was OK probably only because it was so small. Most everything else I looked at in the store had some form of it.

Certainly any tech support personnel should know what banding and DSE on a set is, otherwise how knowledgeable could they possibly be and why are they even employed as tech support people? Of course that leaves the possibility that they know very well what you are talking about but are playing stupid. Did they not offer to send a tech out to see for himself?

This is the first thin panel LCD TV that I have ever owned.  So, banding and DSE is a new experience to me.  The banding is the more troublesome for me to my eyes than the DSE.

Yeah, I found it peculiar that I couldn't get anyone who was familiar with the terms banding or DSE at Sony support.  But then again I wasn't totally shocked.  Most support personnel have no idea what they are doing (speaking in general and not just to Sony).  Even so you would at least expect that these are terms/problems the support reps would know.  I don't think they were playing dumb.  If so then they were excellent actors.

I think perhaps the next step (when I am contacted by support) will be to either send a tech out to see my w900 for themselves or I will be told banding/DSE is normal and not a reason for replacement/support.  But who knows?  I figured it wouldn't hurt to see what Sony's response would be.

I keep reading about others who say they have no banding and little DSE.  I want a w900 like that if at all possible.  Though you may need lotto luck to get one of these.:D 

post #2922 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath23 View Post

I also have a similar EPP with Sony from my company. I am wondering if it is worth buying it for $1600 + CA tax which would come close to $1750 with the environment fee. I am wondering if I should wait for a bit to see if the price drops further.

In my opinion I would pick it up right now with your discount. I was thinking of waiting a little bit longer to see if it would go any lower. Not sure if you knew this already, but Sony Canada (along with other Canada stores like Future Shop) had the TV on sale after Christmas for $1699 CAD. Sony Canada didn't have an end date for the sale, but it recently went OOS about 2 weeks ago. Although Sony CA and Sony US are separate entities and I'm sure have different stock warehouses, etc; the fact that they sold out and their online store has since raised the price back up and you cannot buy online anymore made me purchase sooner than later.

[edit] I also purchased the TV with a credit card that offers a 90 day price protection guarantee. If the price drops within 90 days I can submit for a 1 time refund for the price difference.
post #2923 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
The best buy i bought mine from last Thursday still hasn't restocked and about half of the ones in my area have gone to "ship to store", so I'm thinking supply is starting to dry up.

Mine has some slight DSE when on pure white screens near the top and bottom center. However, you mostly only see those on commercials as pure white screens in actual content is rare.

I do notice bands from the different LED zones during vertical panning from time to time, but the conditions have to be right.

Like I said, I've come from Panasonic 55ST50 which I had for almost two years before it developed a panel flaw (that quite a few 50 series TVs are getting now as they age.) I will say this, while uniformity is usually better with plasma, perfect uniformity is a myth and you need to be using slides to see the difference most of the time. For example, it's common for a Panny plasma (not just my series, but the 60 series as well) to have a light vertical band on the right hand side of the screen. Again, only certain viewing conditions highlight it, but why does that TV generally get a pass for that sort of picture artifact when LCDs are derided for things like DSE or flashlighting that affect their uniformity? The same goes with the banding on vertical pans. Yeah, you can see it sometimes. However, just as often you can get a scene with a fence, railing, or window blinds that cause line bleed across someone's face with a plasma. Hell, I even had a slight bit of rising black in the lower right hand corner of my ST50 that produced an effect very similar to the light bleed you get from an edge lit LCD sometimes. Then there's ABL. People complain about fluctuating brightness and contrast levels due to backlight dimming, but ABL is just as quick to do similar things on a plasma.

So, uniformity is largely a wash between the two under normal viewing conditions. Each have their quirks and artifacts and I'm not going to drive myself crazy over what I see as I know there's really not much out there that's affordable that will do much better.

Big trades are black levels under dark room conditions and viewing angles. There's a slight hit in motion resolution, but if you are mostly viewing 24fps based material, motion resolution was never all that great to begin with. If there was one thing I wish could be different about this TV, it's the viewing angles. Again though, doesn't affect me most of the time as I usually set smack dead center of the screen and the screen rotates if I find I want to sit somewhere else. The only time it really bothers me is when I have guests over and know that not everyone will get to experience the full quality of the TV.

However, in return for those trade offs, I never have to worry about IR from network bugs (and I got it, frequently, many times only after a couple hours of viewing a week) and I get a TV with no moving parts or heat concerns. Heat almost certainly lead to the death of my ST50 and the 60 series have beefier (and louder) fans to compensate. To me, it seems like plasma peaked at the Pioneer Kuros and everything since then has been trying to pull off the same picture quality with lesser engineering and build quality and overall quality and reliability has suffered as a result.

This TV should hopefully last me 5 years or so until OLED hits mainstream. Then, hopefully, we will finally hit the holy grail of perfect display uniformity.
post #2924 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath23 View Post

I'm in the same boat, although in my case I have the same EPP through work ($1600 for W900A), and a friend who works at Sony and can get a slightly more discounted rate:  the W802A for $1125 or the W900A for $1500 (+ tax and fees).  She actually got her W900A for $1300 during Christmas when employees were offered an additional 10% off...I was very sad to not get in on that.

In either case, I noticed the $1600 pricing on my EPP says through February 1.  I am kinda doing a wait and see if the price goes down any further after that point.  Before they had it at $1600 with a "until January 11" and it seems it was extended to February 1 now.  If it goes down another couple hundred dollars, I will bite.  My Best Buys and Frys in the area (Orange County, CA) seem to still have decent stock, so I am hoping my frugal waiting game doesn't result in the well drying up on the Sony Store side...

post #2925 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubscrazy1 View Post

This is the first thin panel LCD TV that I have ever owned.  So, banding and DSE is a new experience to me.  The banding is the more troublesome for me to my eyes than the DSE.

Yeah, I found it peculiar that I couldn't get anyone who was familiar with the terms banding or DSE at Sony support.  But then again I wasn't totally shocked.  Most support personnel have no idea what they are doing (speaking in general and not just to Sony).  Even so you would at least expect that these are terms/problems the support reps would know.  I don't think they were playing dumb.  If so then they were excellent actors.

I think perhaps the next step (when I am contacted by support) will be to either send a tech out to see my w900 for themselves or I will be told banding/DSE is normal and not a reason for replacement/support.  But who knows?  I figured it wouldn't hurt to see what Sony's response would be.

I keep reading about others who say they have no banding and little DSE.  I want a w900 like that if at all possible.  Though you may need lotto luck to get one of these.biggrin.gif  

I hear ya. Mine has no banding and very little DSE. Has one red pixel bottom right. My biggest gripe is that a white screen is not totally white. There are areas of yellow tint which makes it annoying with hockey. Otherwise you don't see it. I probably would exchange it if I knew I wouldn't get one with a more annoying issue.
post #2926 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:

I guarantee you that there is not an LCD on this planet that compares to the color and depth of the w900a. If only it was made in a bigger size than 55" rolleyes.gif Here are some pictures of my new w900a, and obviously it looks even better in person:

WOW.

What are your settings lol
post #2927 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:

These are amazing images UFO eek.gif

You MUST share with us, step by step, the set configuration you use in those pictures cool.gif Please !?!
post #2928 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xara View Post

These are amazing images UFO eek.gif

You MUST share with us, step by step, the set configuration you use in those pictures cool.gif Please !?!

yes do share!

post #2929 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by radlink14 View Post

WOW.

What are your settings lol

Hmm, no offense but the colors I see look pretty crazy.
post #2930 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixorz View Post

yes do share!

How can you guys possibly go by these posted images and take them as an accurate reflection of the actual TV image? The pictures are totally at the mercy of the colour that is produced (including the settings) of the camera that took them. The actual colour could be totally different.

Not to say the TV doesn't have great colour, that we all know. Just saying, results may vary.
post #2931 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM

does anyone know of an alternative solution for the sony stand that is provided for the w900a without having to mount it.

post #2932 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiseguy85 View Post

I'm in the same boat, although in my case I have the same EPP through work ($1600 for W900A), and a friend who works at Sony and can get a slightly more discounted rate:  the W802A for $1125 or the W900A for $1500 (+ tax and fees).  She actually got her W900A for $1300 during Christmas when employees were offered an additional 10% off...I was very sad to not get in on that.

In either case, I noticed the $1600 pricing on my EPP says through February 1.  I am kinda doing a wait and see if the price goes down any further after that point.  Before they had it at $1600 with a "until January 11" and it seems it was extended to February 1 now.  If it goes down another couple hundred dollars, I will bite.  My Best Buys and Frys in the area (Orange County, CA) seem to still have decent stock, so I am hoping my frugal waiting game doesn't result in the well drying up on the Sony Store side...

The price is starting to fall!

Fry's has it for $1599
Amazon has it for $1789
post #2933 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysmahal View Post

The price is starting to fall!

Fry's has it for $1599
Amazon has it for $1789

That deal is incredible on frys.com. Better snatch these up. I was informed that these are no longer in production, and whats left is all that is left. You wont be seeing a tv with these specs in 2014 (240hz panel, tri-luminous, XR960).
post #2934 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:

That deal is incredible on frys.com. Better snatch these up. I was informed that these are no longer in production, and whats left is all that is left. You wont be seeing a tv with these specs in 2014 (240hz panel, tri-luminous, XR960).

Just went into sony and they adjusted the price and credited my account for $108
post #2935 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM

YOU JUST SAVED ME 402.46. Price matched at best buy. Bought my tv last week at 1999

Tytytyty!!!!
johnalexgarcia likes this.
post #2936 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Sigh. In theory I could probably go back to best buy and badger them for the additional $100, but they coped such an attitude when I did the first price match that it probably isn't worth the effort. I'd probably get lynched in the parking lot. Seriously, the manager that approved the price match the first time was giving me dagger eyes the whole time, as if I was stealing out of his pocket.

As for the settings question. Every two panels are different so the settings really aren't worth posting. I initially set mine up with CNET's calibrated settings. However, after i got a meter on it, it turned out my white balance settings to achieve the same color accuracy were totally different.
post #2937 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:

How can you guys possibly go by these posted images and take them as an accurate reflection of the actual TV image? The pictures are totally at the mercy of the colour that is produced (including the settings) of the camera that took them. The actual colour could be totally different.

Not to say the TV doesn't have great colour, that we all know. Just saying, results may vary.

Ok everybody, from now on nobody can show their settings anymore mad.gif
post #2938 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I hear ya. Mine has no banding and very little DSE. Has one red pixel bottom right. My biggest gripe is that a white screen is not totally white. There are areas of yellow tint which makes it annoying with hockey. Otherwise you don't see it. I probably would exchange it if I knew I wouldn't get one with a more annoying issue.

This is my current problem. I had a set with bad DSE / uniformity. I had it replaced and the new one's uniformity is worse. Not just darker/lighter patches, but now a huge area of yellowing. I'm really stressing out about whether I should try to return it.

I can't afford to take a half day off of work over and over again to keep returning this thing. The delivery guys always want to set me up for a weekday from 1-5.
post #2939 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashtom View Post

YOU JUST SAVED ME 402.46. Price matched at best buy. Bought my tv last week at 1999

Tytytyty!!!!
Same here woooo!!!!!
post #2940 of 4987 Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Frys still has the W900A on sale for $1599 if you add it your cart (need to create an account). Amazon will price match - http://www.frys.com/product/7673207
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page