Best way to clean an HDTV cabinet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Sony KDL-32BX420 1080p TV for about two years now, and it is wall mounted. I'd never really looked up close at the cabinet itself until last night, and it's pretty dirty.

I have some very light scuff marks in the frame surrounding the screen from when I wiped it down. What's the best cleaner + cloth to use to clean and polish the cabinet frame, and hopefully buff out some of those scuff marks?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Microfiber cloth with a little water applied (damp) to the microfiber cloth if needed.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Microfiber cloth with a little water applied (damp) to the microfiber cloth if needed.

+1
post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

+1

+2, this is the best method. I used distilled water for the screen itself (Just to get the purest water I can), but use a different MF towel on the screen.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I will give that a try.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Liked: 12
While the distilled water and micro fiber cloth is the best method for cleaning the screen I don't think it will remove the scuff marks in the plastic bezel. I'm quite OCD when it comes to this type of thing. I had the exact same problem on my Samsung bezel. Wish they wouldn't use such soft shiny plastic. What I did to help remove the micro scratches was to use an automotive polish with a low abrasive factor; I used Turtle wax. Apply a small amount of the wax to a slightly dampened very soft cotton cloth and buff the frame/bezel with it. The amount of buffing is up to you and the extent of the scratches. Let the polish dry for a few minutes then buff again with a dry cloth. This should remove many of the visible scratches but not all. Be very careful so as not to get any polish on the screen

Whenever I do something like this I always test it in an inconspicuous area first to see how effective it is. If it doesn't make a difference to your satisfaction, don't bother doing to whole frame. If it does improve it then go for it. I have used this technique on several plastic surfaces with varying degrees of success. I have not had any problem with the polish attacking or reacting with the plastic. If you have concerns on this front what you could do is leave it for a day or two after you do your trial run and then check it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page