Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got a chance to take some 1080p Blu-ray pics today. Here are some screen shots of The Great Gatsby. The actual Blu-ray of the movie isn't out yet, so these screen shots are from the trailer. You need FlashPlayer in order to see these, so you won't be able to see them on an iPad. To see it a bit larger just click on the photos.smile.gif


Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 1

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 2

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 3

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 4

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 5
ohyeah32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
NSX1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I love the second picure of the beautiful car (wheel). As you know the film is in 3D and will be in the theaters May 10th. My wife will love it when I get the blu-ray a few months from now. Tommorow I will get the Titan 4K video card.
NSX1992 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Member
 
silverlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

I love the second picure of the beautiful car (wheel). As you know the film is in 3D and will be in the theaters May 10th. My wife will love it when I get the blu-ray a few months from now. Tommorow I will get the Titan 4K video card.

Just a quick note that 4k resolution can be achieved (even though it's not in official spec's) with the NVidia 660 Ti as well which is a tiny fraction of the price of the Titan. I went from the 660 to the Titan and noticed ever so slightly smoother video, but not much else for AV. For gaming, the silly fast frame rates are wasted on this TV as well b/c it's only 60 fps at 1080p and 30fps at 4k limit. I played a 4k video game with both cards and also not a big difference (a little smoother again with the Titan, but not a big deal). So just keep that in mind before dropping a grand on a video card (although a little better pricing at Newegg, they just got them in stock).

AV stuff here
silverlight is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I got a chance to take some 1080p Blu-ray pics today. Here are some screen shots of The Great Gatsby. The actual Blu-ray of the movie isn't out yet, so these screen shots are from the trailer. You need FlashPlayer in order to see these, so you won't be able to see them on an iPad. To see it a bit larger just click on the photos.smile.gif


Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 1

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 2

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 3

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 4

Blu-ray 1080p screen shot 5

Great pics! I know how hard it it to get images to faithfully reproduce the real look off a screen, so I can assume they look even better in person. The wheel is excellent.
What camera are you using, must be a DSLR. These are not taken with a iPhone.

Surprised the camera didn't pick up some Hz banding. The camera shutter speed synced up well.

If the pics look this good, the real picture must be great......I want this set! But alas I have to sell my current one first. So far no takers.
dreaux is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Great pics! I know how hard it it to get images to faithfully reproduce the real look off a screen, so I can assume they look even better in person. The wheel is excellent.
What camera are you using, must be a DSLR. These are not taken with a iPhone.

Surprised the camera didn't pick up some Hz banding. The camera shutter speed synced up well.

If the pics look this good, the real picture must be great......I want this set! But alas I have to sell my current one first. So far no takers.

Thanks.wink.gif

Yes, taking really accurate screen pics is tough. While the ones I took are VERY accurate, in person it's even better, as watching the images actually moving makes even more of an impact. But the pics will give an idea of just how good the PQ on this TV is.

As for the camera, I used a Nikon L120. It's not a DSLR but it takes excellent photos! It's probably the best point and shoot camera I've used, and takes photos almost as good as my DSLR (Sony CX100).
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

I love the second picure of the beautiful car (wheel). As you know the film is in 3D and will be in the theaters May 10th. My wife will love it when I get the blu-ray a few months from now. Tommorow I will get the Titan 4K video card.

Going by the trailer, this movie looks like it's going to have some amazing PQ! If the 3D is done right, this might be a reference disc. Can't wait for it to be released on 3D Blu-ray!smile.gif

Way cool on getting the new video card tomorrow! I'm looking forward to your impressions of it.
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I must say LG has excellent customer support, they have called me twice and emailed twice to try and find me a location to view the 4K 84". Also they also said they would send me a regular remote if I wanted one.

Unfortunately the closest store is 200 miles away.
dreaux is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I must say LG has excellent customer support, they have called me twice and emailed twice to try and find me a location to view the 4K 84". Also they also said they would send me a regular remote if I wanted one.

Unfortunately the closest store is 200 miles away.

Bummer that the closest place that has the LG on display is 200 miles away.frown.gif

Yes, LG customer service has been excellent with me thus far. If you get this TV, you "need" the regular remote for set up. The magic wand is great for using the smart TV features, but for picture setting adjustments the standard remote is a must!

For me, the closest place that has the LG on display is 170 miles away. So like you, it's not exactly a skip and a hop to get there. But at the time I ordered the LG, I wasn't aware of any place in my state that had one. So for me it was a blind buy.
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,410
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post


Unfortunately the closest store is 200 miles away.
I would think with you living in DC this would not be an issue........
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
NSX1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well I got my new 4K Titan video card today and I am dissapointed. I replaced my DVI GTX 480 and used the same 2 power leads. But when I started the computer I got a message to connect the PCI power. I was dumfounded so took it apart again and found my mistake. There are 2 power connectors, a 6 pin and a 8 pin. I did not realize the 8 pin was actually a 6 pin plus a 2 pin and I had not connected the 2 pin in my darkened room. Then I was not sure if I had to load new drivers but it is now running with the same drivers I installed a week ago.

Then I tested the benchmarks in Just Cause 2 and found that they were almost the same. At 3840x2160 the Titan had 29.98fps compared to 26.39fps. Maybe the LG limits you to 30fps. This was the only time I saw 2160p@30Hz on the LG screen.Then I ran 3DMark and the Titan was more than twice better for high resolution graphics. In 3DMark11 the score
was 11,974 to 5804 and the graphic part 14,233 to 5456.

The main reason I bought this $1,000 HDMI 4K card was to see the Youtube 4K videos in 4K as others have reported. But I could not find any 4K video (original setting) that showed 2160p@30Hz on the LG only 1080p@60Hz. I even bypassed my AVR to eliminate that reason. So please can you tell me which video displayed 2160p@30Hz and if I am doing something wrong. Unfortunatelly I am leaving for the sand dunes tommorow for a week so I won't have time to experiment further.
NSX1992 is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
vaxick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So 1080p sources are slowed down on the TV? Meaning if gaming, you're limited to 30fps even at 1080p?
vaxick is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
NSX1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good news

After consulting with my computer expert Mario I have the answers. To watch 4K videos you must set the computer screen resolution to 3840x2160 and now I have achieved my goal to see 4K with the LG showing 2160p30Hz. The videos I tried all worked perfectly but I am not sure if the quality was that much better as some are not full 4K.

On the gaming side some games have v-sync that is meant to limit 1080p to 60fps and 4K to 30fps to assure no problems with all displays. In Just Cause 2 go in advanced settings and turn off v-sync. The Desert Sunrise benchmark went from 29.98fps to 72.25 in 3840x2160 and from 59.99 to 87.70 in 1080p. The LG accepts gaming in 1080p@60Hz and 3840x2160@30Hz. Nvidia with Tvplay can do 1080p@24Hz in 3D using your passive glasses.

The Nvidia GTX Titan is certainly a powerful video card but as silverlight noted you can get a much cheaper card with nearly the same results on this LG. On the downside my 3D Integra will not pass through the 4K videos. Good night.
NSX1992 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Bummer that the closest place that has the LG on display is 200 miles away.frown.gif

Yes, LG customer service has been excellent with me thus far. If you get this TV, you "need" the regular remote for set up. The magic wand is great for using the smart TV features, but for picture setting adjustments the standard remote is a must!

For me, the closest place that has the LG on display is 170 miles away. So like you, it's not exactly a skip and a hop to get there. But at the time I ordered the LG, I wasn't aware of any place in my state that had one. So for me it was a blind buy.

Seth
Question, does the LG screen have more of a glossy screen or mat screen?
dreaux is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's not really high gloss or matte, but somewhere in between. There is no doubt that it's reflective, but not extremely so.
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I was hoping it was glossy. Glossy to me delivers a richer picture. The Sony 4K 84" has rather a flat none reflective screen which I didn't think looks as good.

I was up at Magnolia today looking at the Sony 4K and the Samsung 75" since I had nothing to do and its been raining so hard. I told them I was more interested in the LG 4K 84". They asked me how much I wanted to pay for it so I quoted a low price from one the online sites. They said fine....shocker. Of course you have to pay tax but do get the 36 months 0% interest from them.
dreaux is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I was hoping it was glossy. Glossy to me delivers a richer picture. The Sony 4K 84" has rather a flat none reflective screen which I didn't think looks as good.

I was up at Magnolia today looking at the Sony 4K and the Samsung 75" since I had nothing to do and its been raining so hard. I told them I was more interested in the LG 4K 84". They asked me how much I wanted to pay for it so I quoted a low price from one the online sites. They said fine....shocker. Of course you have to pay tax but do get the 36 months 0% interest from them.

Yep it is glossy, maybe not plasma glass screen glossy, but glossy enough. Here's a pic that one of the owners here took.



So Magnolia can get the LG 84"? And they will price match what the online sellers are pricing theirs at? Very cool!smile.gif And you get 36 months at 0% interest. So even though you have to pay sales tax, that's a sweet deal!
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
vaxick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

So Magnolia can get the LG 84"? And they will price match what the online sellers are pricing theirs at? Very cool!smile.gif And you get 36 months at 0% interest. So even though you have to pay sales tax, that's a sweet deal!

As of about a month ago, Best Buy started matching online prices.
vaxick is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

Good news

After consulting with my computer expert Mario I have the answers. To watch 4K videos you must set the computer screen resolution to 3840x2160 and now I have achieved my goal to see 4K with the LG showing 2160p30Hz. The videos I tried all worked perfectly but I am not sure if the quality was that much better as some are not full 4K.

On the gaming side some games have v-sync that is meant to limit 1080p to 60fps and 4K to 30fps to assure no problems with all displays. In Just Cause 2 go in advanced settings and turn off v-sync. The Desert Sunrise benchmark went from 29.98fps to 72.25 in 3840x2160 and from 59.99 to 87.70 in 1080p. The LG accepts gaming in 1080p@60Hz and 3840x2160@30Hz. Nvidia with Tvplay can do 1080p@24Hz in 3D using your passive glasses.

The Nvidia GTX Titan is certainly a powerful video card but as silverlight noted you can get a much cheaper card with nearly the same results on this LG. On the downside my 3D Integra will not pass through the 4K videos. Good night.

That's awesome that you're now able to actually send 3840x2160 to the LG!smile.gif Good to know that a less expensive card will work also. Bummer that your Integra will not pass 4K. Any plans to upgrade to another AVR?


Have fun on your trip!
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

As of about a month ago, Best Buy started matching online prices.

Good to know.smile.gif
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Member
 
robinsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My TV is here, Yaaaaaa!!!! My Mount won't be here until Friday........ BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
robinsj is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Member
 
Sir_Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hempstead, NY
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats!!!
Sir_Mark is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post

My TV is here, Yaaaaaa!!!! My Mount won't be here until Friday........ BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Congratulations. Where did you get it?
dreaux is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post

My TV is here, Yaaaaaa!!!! My Mount won't be here until Friday........ BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Awesome!!! Congratulations!smile.gif

I'll bet Friday can't get here soon enough!wink.gif
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Member
 
robinsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Congratulations. Where did you get it?

This is going to sound really odd, but I own my own business, and so I signed up with a distributor to purchase LG televisions, and so, in theory, I bought it from myself. lol
robinsj is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well I hope you gave yourself a good deal smile.gif
dreaux is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,410
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post

My TV is here, Yaaaaaa!!!! My Mount won't be here until Friday........ BOOOOOOO!!!!!!
You did unbox it and power it on correct? Check it out for damages ? Most venders / insurance companies like to know about damages within 24 hours........
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Netflix--Expect 4K streaming in the next year or 2.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/14/4098896/netflix-chief-product-officer-neil-hunt-expect-4k-streaming-within-a-year-or-two

However can the LG encoder support those high frame rates?
dreaux is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Newbie
 
dmtkdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Did not realize that you already got your LG. Nice setup. smile.gif
dmtkdc is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Newbie
 
dmtkdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my LG 84lm9600 three days ago- I'm having a real hard time finding a tv console to put it on. I saw the picture of your set up and liked the look of the console- what make and model is it?? Does it have glass doors that cover the components placed inside it?
dmtkdc is offline  
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Newbie
 
dmtkdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

So it looks as if the banding is inherent to the panel itself, as the Sony 84" also exhibits this anomaly. That's good to know, thanks for sharing that.wink.gif

Yes, the 3D this TV produces is insanely good! When I watched Life of Pi, I saw zero crosstalk, and the image was bright and extremely colorful. It didn't look as if I had any glasses on, as the picture looked extremely detailed and vibrant. To say I was impressed is an understatement!

Way cool on getting a special room built for this display.smile.gif Once you get it all complete, please share some pics.smile.gif And thanks for the recommendation on Finding Nemo and The Hobbit. I have The Hobbit, but haven't watched it yet. I now need to buy Finding Nemo.

I took a pic today of the new TV installed.smile.gif

I'm still not 100% happy with the way the photo came out, but it's tough to get a perfect picture with tan walls. When all the walls were white, lighting for photos was no problem at all, and most photos came out great!

So until I can find a way to improve the lighting for picture taking, this is about as good as it's going to get. And in real life, the on screen image looks 100% better! Uploading to Flicker softens the PQ. But the PQ on the TV is insanely good! 1080p upconverted to 4K is amazing!

dmtkdc is offline  
 

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off