Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There are many reviews, just do a search for the tv and review.

Samsung $40,000 4K Impressions

Last night I went for the grand opening for the Samsung 85" 4K set at Video & Audio Center in Santa Monica, Califormia. Samsung had flown in their top executives from their headquarters in New Jersey as well as others locally. This location is the largest authorized dealer in Southern California. The event was well attended, refreshments and had a Samsung 55" as a prize. Also on display were the LG and Sony 4K sets as well as a Sharp 108" LED. I asked about the rumor that only 200 sets were to be made and the top Samsung executive said the actual number is 250. Also the 110" set shown at CES may not happen. Samsung will be introducing smaller sets later.

Tha Samsung is backlit with many rows of lights across the back and they are able to control the intensity in individual areas. The 4K source was a thumb 8K stick and showed beautiful scenic videos. No banding was visible. They stressed that their TVs are upgradable by purchasing an Evolution kit when the need arises as when HDMI 2 becomes available. I pointed out that when that happens I could easilly buy a brand new set for the difference between the $40,000 and the $13,000 I paid for the LG. The TV cannot be separated from its easel stand as the speakers and wifi are built into it. The legs could be removed for wall mounting the 179 pound set but the frame must stay. Personally I don't like the stand but the TV can be moved up and down and be tilted within the frame. They did not demonstrate the active 3D as they said they did not have 3D glasses. Since I was an active glasses proponent I really wanted to see if it was any better than the great 3D we see in our passive sets. The 4K content looked great but it also looks just as good on the Sony and LG.

The Sony and LG 4K sets were showing an NBA playoff game, no 4K. The Sony upscaling of the basketball game did not look any better than the regular TV sets all around it. I met the president of Video & Audio Center and he said they would match online pricing of the LG and pay the sales tax. Even Sonys price was negotiable. The Sharp 108" LCD had a list price of $95,000 marked down to $48,000 with a line through it . When I asked him how much he replied "make me an offer". For the Samsung it was $40,000 but they would pay the sales tax.

In conclusion we made the right choice in buying the LG. A great picture at a more reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

Last night I went for the grand opening for the Samsung 85" 4K set at Video & Audio Center in Santa Monica, Califormia. Samsung had flown in their top executives from their headquarters in New Jersey as well as others locally. This location is the largest authorized dealer in Southern California. The event was well attended, refreshments and had a Samsung 55" as a prize. Also on display were the LG and Sony 4K sets as well as a Sharp 108" LED. I asked about the rumor that only 200 sets were to be made and the top Samsung executive said the actual number is 250. Also the 110" set shown at CES may not happen. Samsung will be introducing smaller sets later.

Tha Samsung is backlit with many rows of lights across the back and they are able to control the intensity in individual areas. The 4K source was a thumb 8K stick and showed beautiful scenic videos. No banding was visible. They stressed that their TVs are upgradable by purchasing an Evolution kit when the need arises as when HDMI 2 becomes available. I pointed out that when that happens I could easilly buy a brand new set for the difference between the $40,000 and the $13,000 I paid for the LG. The TV cannot be separated from its easel stand as the speakers and wifi are built into it. The legs could be removed for wall mounting the 179 pound set but the frame must stay. Personally I don't like the stand but the TV can be moved up and down and be tilted within the frame. They did not demonstrate the active 3D as they said they did not have 3D glasses. Since I was an active glasses proponent I really wanted to see if it was any better than the great 3D we see in our passive sets. The 4K content looked great but it also looks just as good on the Sony and LG.

The Sony and LG 4K sets were showing an NBA playoff game, no 4K. The Sony upscaling of the basketball game did not look any better than the regular TV sets all around it. I met the president of Video & Audio Center and he said they would match online pricing of the LG and pay the sales tax. Even Sonys price was negotiable. The Sharp 108" LCD had a list price of $95,000 marked down to $48,000 with a line through it . When I asked him how much he replied "make me an offer". For the Samsung it was $40,000 but they would pay the sales tax.

In conclusion we made the right choice in buying the LG. A great picture at a more reasonable price.

Did Samsung say how much later they would be releasing the smaller sets and did he mention any specific sizes?
post #363 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

They did not demonstrate the active 3D as they said they did not have 3D glasses. Since I was an active glasses proponent I really wanted to see if it was any better than the great 3D we see in our passive sets.

Active 3D would never out perform passive 3D, not necessarily in video quality, but that fact that you get ghosting/crosstalk, and the biggest problem of flicker on the glasses if you have any outside light sources the glasses pick up besides the TV. I love the fact that I can watch 3D, with our lights on, in full daylight and not get any flicker at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #364 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44

Thanks for that review. I had seen the Sony but not the LG. I really can't tell much difference to the Sony.

The evolution kit on the Samsung is a good idea if it will take a display port and HDMI 2.0 when they are available. But 40K is way too much to pay, and I don't like the stand either. It would never fit on my stand, it would be much too high.

I am a bit worried about the possibility of Netflix streaming Ultra High def at 60 frames though.
post #365 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks for that very informative review.wink.gif

For being only 1 inch larger, even with it being a full array back-lit TV, $40,000 is just way way overpriced. There is no doubt that the elite out there will buy this, if anything just to say they own one. I think Samsung took a step backward in making the TV active 3D. More and more TV makers are starting to adopt passive. And with it looking (PQ wise) about on par with the LG and Sony, why pay that much more? Sure it does have the Evolution Kit, which theoretically will keep it somewhat future proof. But $27,000 more to have that isn't worth it.

One could buy three LG 84" 4K TV's for the price of one Samsung 85" 4K TV. And like you, I don't care for the blackboard easel looking stand either.

Yes, I think we all did just fine buying the LG.smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #366 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Samsung just can not make a cheap large format screen like others....... ( LG, Sharp )

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #367 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Thanks for that review. I had seen the Sony but not the LG. I really can't tell much difference to the Sony.

The evolution kit on the Samsung is a good idea if it will take a display port and HDMI 2.0 when they are available. But 40K is way too much to pay, and I don't like the stand either. It would never fit on my stand, it would be much too hi

I am a bit worried about the possibility of Netflix streaming Ultra High def at 60 frames though though.

For me, in my location, streaming 4K from something like Netflix is something I may not be able to do anytime soon anyway. To do that one needs a super fast internet connection (30 Mbps+), and most areas of the US still don't have ISP's that offer higher than 14 Mbps. Where I live the fastest I can get is 9 Mbps, and even on a very good day I average about 8.5 Mbps.

post #368 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

This as bad as it gets on my set for banding. You can see a little if you look in the blue sky.

BTW you can see the black bars on top and bottom blend into the bezel, so the blacks are good.

Hi Dreaux,

Congrats on your TV. I have to say I do not see any banding at all, but truthfully I don't have great eyesight. smile.gif

You guys are really making me want to buy this set. I definitely want to have a new TV before the football season.

It's not that I can't afford it, it's just damn $12K for a TV! I know once I have it I won't even think about what I paid, lol.

Does anyone know if the Sony FMP-X1 4K will work with the LG 84LM9600?

Thanks
post #369 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some pics of my LG 4K.
I found the PQ outstanding although a tad less sharp than the Sony 4K 84" but the black levels are much better than the Sony. The blacks are as good as the Sharp Elite I had early on. I am still working on my PQ though. I started with Seth's settings and am working from there.
Have not tried out the speakers since I use an AVR.

The 1080p up scaling is excellent. The picture looks so smooth and rich. The colors are variant and so natural. I do notice some banding on light blue sky's or white ones but it happens so infrequently that I don't even mind. The build date on mine is February 2013.

Blu-rays look incredible, so the up-scaling does work well, the pixels are so close together and the image film like. The blacks are black which give the picture a depth.

LG sent me a regular remote so I don't have to wave the magic one around. It did a software update right away going from 3xxx to 4xxx, don't know what it did but it was quick.

I am loving the set and especially the black levels.....I love black levels!

I did try my Oppo 103 using its 4K up scaling and it saw the LG immediately as a 4K set. Really didn't look any different so I will just let the LG do the up scaling.

!

Excellent photos! The PQ on this TV is truly impressive! And you're right, the black levels are really good, especially considering that it's edge-lit, and uses an IPS panel. And it looks like banding on yours is a non issue. The images look awesome! Thanks for sharing.wink.gif

And one major advantage we have over owners of the 65" and 55" Sony 4K TV's, is with ours being IPS panels, the off axis viewing is excellent! I was watching Jay Leno, and I left the room to go to the kitchen, and when I returned I was looking at the TV from a side view, and it looked bright, vivid, and clear. The Sony's (non 84") lose brightness and overall PQ when viewing too far off axis. I think LG and Sony did well in using an IPS panel.smile.gif

post #370 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Samsung did not say what sizes and when.

I don't see Netflix sending 60fps as even the Samsung cannot handle more than 30fps due to current HDMI 1.4 cable limitations.

With my 92" DLP I had no crosstalk with active glasses and I could not see flickering but the dimming was bad.

Ohyea32 Hansel & Gretel has great 3D with lots of popout. But it has many ugly witches with lots of blood so it may not be for everyone.
post #371 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hansel & Gretel has great 3D with lots of popout. But it has many ugly witches with lots of blood so it may not be for everyone.

Very cool!smile.gif Will definitely be buying this one when it's out on Blu-ray.

post #372 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM

My 73" Mitsubishi DLP was horrible for ghosting, and flickering. We watched one 3d movie on it the whole time we had it, just couldn't force myself to watch another on it, gave me too much of a headache.

post #373 of 1245 Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@Dreaux - curious what your production date is. could just be the photo but that looks like better performance from a banding performance than what I've seen. Would be quite interesting if LG is making rapid production improvements on the hardware side to compensate for this issue?

AV stuff
post #374 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post

@Dreaux - curious what your production date is. could just be the photo but that looks like better performance from a banding performance than what I've seen. Would be quite interesting if LG is making rapid production improvements on the hardware side to compensate for this issue?

February 2013. Since I took that picture I have seen a little banding. Bit more than in that photo. But not anything I can't live with.

BTW watched 'The Pacific' part 1 blu-ray by Spielberg and Tom Hanks last night. If you want to see something that comes close to 2160p looking with this set, watch that.
The scenes on the beach and in the jungle are razor sharp. Not sure what camera they used, maybe the Sony F23 CineAlta or maybe even the Red, but it sure looked good.
post #375 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have some very interesting info for everyone with this TV. Just got off the phone with LG's VIP department as I was just curious what their position was on the "banding" which they referred to as shadowing. They mentioned that given the 4 lights on the top it did create the shadowing in some scenes, and that they're close to finishing a solution which is a replacement panel for the front of the TV which should mitigate/reduce/eliminate the issue. So I signed up as apparently the first customer to receive the modification and they'll come out to our home to install the replacement panel when they've arrived from the factory.
So that's pretty good news, will be interesting to see how it works. Presumably they'll modify production for new units going forward and retrofit existing and all will be well smile.gif (in theory! hopefully how they handle/dissipate the light won't have any negative effects on performance)

AV stuff
post #376 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have some very interesting info for everyone with this TV. Just got off the phone with LG's VIP department as I was just curious what their position was on the "banding" which they referred to as shadowing. They mentioned that given the 4 lights on the top it did create the shadowing in some scenes, and that they're close to finishing a solution which is a replacement panel for the front of the TV which should mitigate/reduce/eliminate the issue. So I signed up as apparently the first customer to receive the modification and they'll come out to our home to install the replacement panel when they've arrived from the factory.
So that's pretty good news, will be interesting to see how it works. Presumably they'll modify production for new units going forward and retrofit existing and all will be well smile.gif (in theory! hopefully how they handle/dissipate the light won't have any negative effects on performance)

That is some very very good news indeed! So long as it doesn't degrade the PQ in any way, this should be great!smile.gif I wonder how far out this retrofit solution is (in months)? It does say volumes for LG as a company to be doing this for owners of this TV. If this solution does indeed work, and I still get the same ultra high resolution , brightness, colors, black levels, etc. that I currently have, I definitely want mine done! I've only had my TV for 2 months now, so the sooner the better.

Thank you VERY much for sharing this with us!wink.gif

Seth

post #377 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent, thank you. I will call next week.
post #378 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

I was on the computer with the LG when all of a sudden I lost the picture and received the message "no input". So I restarted PC with same results, then bypassed AVR and connected directly to HDMI 3, then tried cable tv, xbox 360 directly with same results. I even turned the LG off and on. The LG worked internally like menus and internet just no external inputs. Then called LG and talked to Sherry but she had no answer but will consult with experts on Monday. I also asked for a remote ,will LG make more 84" and what about the banding. She will call back Monday. After 2 hours I tried again and everything magically now works without any changes on my part. I called LG but they were closed for the weekend.
post #379 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM

Liked: 17
I will say anyone who has banding have LG come out and look at it. They first told me no its all normal .....NOW after a call from VIP LG lol they are sending the panel out to me Tuesday with same day install so don't let them fool you into thinking it's rare ect. Or no one else has the problem.... I will let you all know Tuesday how it looks after the install....

Tj8xp..............cool.gif

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
post #380 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was on the computer with the LG when all of a sudden I lost the picture and received the message "no input". So I restarted PC with same results, then bypassed AVR and connected directly to HDMI 3, then tried cable tv, xbox 360 directly with same results. I even turned the LG off and on. The LG worked internally like menus and internet just no external inputs. Then called LG and talked to Sherry but she had no answer but will consult with experts on Monday. I also asked for a remote ,will LG make more 84" and what about the banding. She will call back Monday. After 2 hours I tried again and everything magically now works without any changes on my part. I called LG but they were closed for the weekend.

That is strange. But even AVR's and pre/pro's have that happen as well, so I guess this can happen with a TV also. I had the "No Input" message on screen once about a week ago (HDMI 1), but after rebooting my pre/pro, all was fine. But it only had the message on that one input, as the other input (HDMI 2) was still showing the screen saver for my Dish Network HD DVR.

Glad to hear that everything came back, and is now working fine once again.smile.gif But that's weird that it did that. Will be interesting to know what they tell you on Monday.

post #381 of 1245 Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj8xp View Post

I will say anyone who has banding have LG come out and look at it. They first told me no its all normal .....NOW after a call from VIP LG lol they are sending the panel out to me Tuesday with same day install so don't let them fool you into thinking it's rare ect. Or no one else has the problem.... I will let you all know Tuesday how it looks after the install....

Tj8xp..............cool.gif

That's great to hear that they are replacing the panel on yours.smile.gif I'm guessing that the panel is not of the ones that silverlight was told about, as those apparently aren't available quite yet.

I am looking forward to seeing if the new panel on yours eliminates or minimizes the banding. It now looks like LG is very well aware of this uniformity issue, and is working hard in getting it resolved. Without this banding anomaly, the TV is freaking awesome!smile.gif

Seth

post #382 of 1245 Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Last night watched Glory mastered in 4K. I was disapointed as it did not look that good. Tonight will watch Boraka 8K Ultradigital HD bluray.
post #383 of 1245 Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM

Hi Seth yes this TV is 100% one of the best pictures I have ever seen ! The banding is a problem LG is VERY much aware of also. The fix that Silverlight is talking about might be what there giving me but who knows.

If they put something in front of the panel I hope it will not degrade the picture or darken it up that would stink.
From the other pictures tho the later dates on the TV seem much better.

LG is here in NJ I have 3 Techs coming right from the factory lol.... So we shall see I will keep you all updated here !!

Tj8xp.....

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
post #384 of 1245 Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can you please post the number for LG VIP service. I would like to have them come out and correct the issue with my set. I am currently out of town, but will be returning first week of June.

Thanks

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

- Affiliated
post #385 of 1245 Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I downloaded AVSHD 709,extracted and burned to a disk. Unfortunatelly I can only see files without the main title. However I did find a whitish screen shot that could be seen at 80% and other %, so I took a picture. Yes I can see banding but I don't see it while I am typing this reply using my LG as my monitor.

Bruce did they replace your panel with an updated one or the same? 001.JPG 1376k .JPG file

They replaced the "panel". This is the LCD/LED panel with T-Com board including the edge lighting and inverters/controllers for that. My guess is that this is the production sub-assembly as they have it when they first test the image. They may even calibrate some very low-level aspects at that point. So it is shipped as a complete assembly with the matched set of boards. I retained my original main electronics, power supplies, frame, etc. Supposedly all my settings were preserved. The Stereo Shop is coming in a week to re-calibrate. It will be interesting to see how close the original expert settings are now with a completely different panel.

As mentioned by others, on the 75% gray screen I can still see non-uniformity between columns and between the rows. Some are lighter and some darker than others. But the distribution of this new panel is much more uniform. The effect is much more disturbing when there groupings of light or dark columns/rows. While I would love to see complete uniformity this panel is now acceptable and I am very satisfied.
post #386 of 1245 Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

That is strange that Sony only made 200, and will make no more of them. Talk about a very limited edition TV. If that is indeed the case, then it's highly doubtful that Sony will make a 2nd generation 84" model. So most likely the largest they will offer will be the 65". Very interesting info, thanks for sharing.wink.gif

As far as I know, LG is still manufacturing their 84" model. The first ones came out last fall, and mine has a mfg date of January 2013. And from what I've heard, the 84LM9600, despite its price tag, is selling very well. If sales surpass expected projections, then this model may very well remain in production, and eventually may see a second gen. 84" model introduced.

I have wanted the 84" LG since I first read that a prototype was being shown at the 2012 CES. And from that point I followed any info on it. I knew that once it was finally a production model and available to buy I was going to get one. Then came the sticker shock of $20k!eek.gif My heart sank and my dream TV once again was the things of dreams.

But then as the months passed, LG allowed some play in their pricing, unlike the Sony, which is sold at full msrp and not discounted. So once again the LG was attainable, and then it actually became my reality.smile.gif

I went in getting this TV sight unseen, as at that time I was not aware of any store in my state that actually had one on display. So only going by professional reviews, and by our thread starter Bruce, I went for it! And I was already prepared for possible banding anomalies, and the strong possibility that the audio was going to be out of sync when listening through my 9.2 surround system.

So far do I have any regrets buying the LG? Nope! I admire it for what it offers, and that is the most detailed and vivid picture I have seen. And the jaw dropping 3D on this TV is the icing on the cake.smile.gif I was a bit put off with the banding at the beginning, but after living with the TV for a while now, it doesn't bother me nearly as much anymore. As most content I watch, be it Blu-ray or HD satellite, looks so darn amazing that I'm wiling to forgive the occasional banding on certain scenes.

I whole heartedly recommend the LG, as it is capable if delivering some of the most striking PQ you'll see. But for ones interested in buying this TV, just be fully aware that the TV isn't perfect, but for what it does give, it'll leave you wowed!

Seth

I though that I would add to this although I haven't read further to see it anyone else has commented.

First it is my understanding that the Sony 84" 4K (really "2160p" right?) uses the panel manufactured by LG. My bet is that the very same panel sub-assembly that I received as a replacement for my LG TV sits inside the Sony 84". I believe that Sony manufactured this set as a play in the home theater where they could market their 4K content and Sony movies to the home. The set has upgraded speakers and came with a lease on a proprietary media server pre-loaded with some 4K content. It was probably all about you continuing to buy 4K content from them and not about providing general use 2160p sets.

Sounds like someone figured out that, with their competition out-selling their 4K sets and 4K content is coming with Redray and other services, their media server play was going to flop. So... pull the plug?

As for the banding on Sony sets, it is possible that Sony may have scrutinized their first 200 panels more closely but they should perform identically to the LG and have the same artifacts.
post #387 of 1245 Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Hopefully someone here will answer your question, as many on this thread have theirs wall mounted. I thought about wall mounting mine, but opted not to because I wanted easy access to all areas of the TV, and in the event it ever needs to be serviced, it'll make things a lot easier.

The Stereo Shop brought the TV and mounted it on the wall. They picked the mount and I actually do not know who makes it. I searched around and think it is the Strong(tm) X-Large Fixed Mount SM-F-XL that you can find on www.snapav.com.

Having lived with it though, unless you are really good and squeezing you hands behind the set and making connections by feel, you might investigate a mount that lets you pull the set away from the wall. This is a big and heavy set though. I am not sure there are mounts that I would trust holding that set several inches from the wall.

The mount lets me slide the set to the right or left several inches. There are stops to prevent the brackets from falling of the end of the rails. This let me make a hole in the wall and fish cables without removing the set. Afterwards I could slid the set back into position and hide the cable entry to the room. When they installed the thing we just left cables hanging so I could later figure out what I wanted to do with them.
post #388 of 1245 Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Again. Anyone willing to share the number for LG VIP service for this set?

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

- Affiliated
post #389 of 1245 Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but does the set upconvert everything that is sent to it? I was just going through the menus trying to figure out if I could tell if it was up converting.....

post #390 of 1245 Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok so I detect some confusion.

It sounds like "shadowing" is an artifact of the edge lighting. From what you have said they have a correction for this in particular going forward. That's good news.

The "banding" that I and others have seen is related to non-uniformity between LCD column drivers and LCD row drivers. This is most apparent on a 75% grey screen (as found say on the AVS calibration DVD). In this case you want the non-uniformity evenly distributed (i.e. no grouping of light bands or dark bands). I haven't heard of any solution to this as yet.

By the way, I was told by LG that I was the first person to bring this to their attention. I doubt that. More like I described it uniquely. The defective panel that they removed here was express shipped back to their engineering facilities overseas for evaluation.

I think they need to calibrate (linearize) the driver circuitry in this case. The analog electronics by the way would be temperature dependent and cooling is altitude dependent. Just lending support to a comment pages back that LG told someone the "banding" was temperature and altitude dependent.

We evaluated a number of the sets at the local store including a plasma set scrutinizing this 75% grey test screen. There was non-uniformity on every single set and not just the LCD/LED sets. In the case of the plasma set (Panasonic) though there was a clearly symmetric (about the horizontal and/or vertical center axis) pattern that appeared to be related to frame supports. My guess, the supports provide heat sinking and those drivers located near those supports ran cooler. Note that the drivers that I am talking about skirt the edge of the panel all along a horizontal and vertical edge. One of the Sony 1080p LED sets had light band groupings that appeared symmetric as well but not entirely.

The AVS calibration disk can be downloaded. You can burn a disk that will be compatible with your BluRay player. The 75% grey panel can be found there. You can use this the separate the banding from the shadowing issue.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page