Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Newbie
 
eddgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: manchester Uk
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im in the uk im getting the Lg the price is dropping
Regarding the hdmi connections will ill still be able to watch 4k ahter the change to hdmil
Regarding thr sound from the speakers is there bass
Ive looked at sony samsung and lg
Samsung s9 85ins i was keen on
£35,000
Advice me please 55ins or 65ins no
eddgreen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I think you're going to enjoy it.smile.gif And if anything, you're going to revel in the exceptional PQ!wink.gif

I know what you mean, after you watch super high quality stuff, you want more.smile.gif

I'm curious, how are you enjoying the 3D? What did you think of Life of Pi?

Life of Pi on 3D was nothing short of amazing. The detail was great, bright and sharp. Never seen 3D like that before. Certainly brighter and sharper than my previous set. 1920p per eye really makes a difference.
dreaux is online now  
post #453 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddgreen View Post

Im in the uk im getting the Lg the price is dropping
Regarding the hdmi connections will ill still be able to watch 4k ahter the change to hdmil
Regarding thr sound from the speakers is there bass
Ive looked at sony samsung and lg
Samsung s9 85ins i was keen on
£35,000
Advice me please 55ins or 65ins no

Not sure I understand all your questions, but I believe the LG has bass, it is a 3 way 10 speaker setup.

If you are going to Ultra HD set, I would go with the 84", not sure you can get the same effect with a 55" or a 65" since you would have to sit so close to see its up scaling effect.

I don't quite understand your HDMI question.
dreaux is online now  
post #454 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Newbie
 
eddgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: manchester Uk
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hdmi 2.0 and display port without these in time eould the lg not show 4k if and when sky uk tv gets it
Samsung 4k this is upgradable
Sony 84ins is better upscaling is this true
Im making a tv cabinet for the weight of the tv in mind
Im buying this week so i need all the info
Is there a connection for headphones on these
Ive to be carful with the neigbours
eddgreen is offline  
post #455 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
You will find the specs on the LG site

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-84LM9600-led-tv

I am not certain HDMI 2 is going to be a big factor. I think it will be some time before 2,0 will come out. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

The Sony does have just a little better up scaling abilities but not the black levels of the LG at least that has been my observation.
Samsung is supposed to have an upgradable hardware feature called an evolution kit and if you can afford
the Samsung you may want to go with that.

I am not aware of a headphone jack on the TV. If you buy an AVR you could use that.
dreaux is online now  
post #456 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
NSX1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been bothered with strange problems. My PowerDVD10 was acting up as it would not play back my 3D movies so I bought PowerDVD13 Ultra. It plays everything but the video stutters so I will call Cyberlink Tuesday. It has a nice feature to sync audio with video for those that have AVRs not capable of it.

I am playing Metro Last Light that I got free with the purchase of the $1,000 Titan video card. The 3D in 1080p is great with very good detail. But the game would not play in 4K 3840x2160 resulting in a jagged screen and rebooting the PC.

Then I got a new problem that the PC would no longer work when connected through my Integra AVR. The screen is blank with 1080p30Hz showing on the LG even though the PC resolution is set for normal 1080p60Hz. When starting in safe mode the desktop would appear on the LG and you could reset the resolution to 1080p but when you restart the computer the same problem happens. By bypassing the AVR everything is fine. But I hate to play a game without surround sound. My computer expert Mario taught me how to connect digital audio from the PC to the AVR so now I have surround sound but I have to change inputs in the LG when using the PC. At first I thought it was the LGs fault but it probably is the AVR. I even unplugged both devices with no change.

ohjea32
Sammys Adventure has the deepest 3D and I had no problems on my DLP. Both Sammys are great. Alice in Wonderland as I recall was not that good. The two Circque de Soleil videos are also excellent. Generally animated and Imax movies are also recommended.
NSX1992 is offline  
post #457 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All current UHD TV's use HDMI 1.4a, which is sufficient to pass 4K 24fps and is sufficient for all current 1080p Blu-ray and Cable/Satellite broadcasts, which today's UHD sets upscale to 4K. In all likelihood, future UHD will be 4K 60fps, and HDMI 2.0 will be required for this data rate. The HDMI 2.0 standard is due to be published by the end of this year, and this will allow all manufacturers to sell hardware with the new standard. HDMI 1.4a is not firmware upgradeable to HDMI 2.0--new hardware will be required. I don't know what transmission CODEC BSkyB (the UK equivalent of DirecTV) will use. In the USA, H.264 is currently used to broadcast 1080p material. UHD (4K) cannot use this CODEC because it takes up too much bandwidth. A new, more efficient CODEC H.265 is about to be standardized and it will be required for broadcast, Cable and Satellite 4K transmissions. Again, this requires new hardware. It only becomes important when broadcasters, cable companies, or satellite companies want to broadcast 4K material. BUT, an efficient data compression CODEC will also be very helpful for companies to send 4K material over the internet. The bottom line is that today's 4K sets will be obsolete as soon as native 4K material becomes readily available because the extreme bandwidth required really mandates an efficient compression CODEC, such as H.265. No current 4K set can decode H.265 because the standard has not been finalized. The beauty of the Samsung Evolution kit is that future versions can include HDMI 2.0 and H.265 and thus you can unplug the old Evolution box and plug in a new one. One does not need to buy an entire new TV each time new standards appear. Given the rapid changes of the entire UHD TV technology, this should actually be standard practice by all manufacturers. Perhaps we'll see this in the next generation of sets.
Ted99 is offline  
post #458 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Newbie
 
eddgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: manchester Uk
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks ted 99
So its the samsung S9 85ins
Then its not clear about the hdmi 2.0
Then theres the price of the kit
It does not seem right a 4k tv cant broadcast on the tv when they get it
One site says they will fry
The LG 4k its £16,000 in the uk
I do need a tv this size its not going to give me 4k
Lg £16,000
Samsung £35,000
eddgreen is offline  
post #459 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

I have been bothered with strange problems. My PowerDVD10 was acting up as it would not play back my 3D movies so I bought PowerDVD13 Ultra. It plays everything but the video stutters so I will call Cyberlink Tuesday. It has a nice feature to sync audio with video for those that have AVRs not capable of it.

I am playing Metro Last Light that I got free with the purchase of the $1,000 Titan video card. The 3D in 1080p is great with very good detail. But the game would not play in 4K 3840x2160 resulting in a jagged screen and rebooting the PC.

Then I got a new problem that the PC would no longer work when connected through my Integra AVR. The screen is blank with 1080p30Hz showing on the LG even though the PC resolution is set for normal 1080p60Hz. When starting in safe mode the desktop would appear on the LG and you could reset the resolution to 1080p but when you restart the computer the same problem happens. By bypassing the AVR everything is fine. But I hate to play a game without surround sound. My computer expert Mario taught me how to connect digital audio from the PC to the AVR so now I have surround sound but I have to change inputs in the LG when using the PC. At first I thought it was the LGs fault but it probably is the AVR. I even unplugged both devices with no change.

ohjea32
Sammys Adventure has the deepest 3D and I had no problems on my DLP. Both Sammys are great. Alice in Wonderland as I recall was not that good. The two Circque de Soleil videos are also excellent. Generally animated and Imax movies are also recommended.

Bummer that you're having those issues.frown.gif Are you going to buy a different AVR and see if that works? Hope you're able to get it all worked out.

From what I've read, Sammy's Adventure is probably one of the most amazing looking 3D Blu-ray's out there! But all of those glowing reviews were from ones watching the movie on an active 3D TV (same with Drive Angry), and apparently if the player doesn't have a firmware update to address the left/right out of sync issue for a particular title that's problematic, it is pretty much unwatchable on a passive 3D TV. In my case I use an Oppo BDP-103, so I need to contact Oppo and see if they can offer a firmware fix for Drive Angry, Sammy's Adventure, and Rio. Someone in a different forum had mentioned that Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader was also this way, but I haven't watched that one yet so I don't know.
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #460 of 1225 Old 05-26-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Life of Pi on 3D was nothing short of amazing. The detail was great, bright and sharp. Never seen 3D like that before. Certainly brighter and sharper than my previous set. 1920p per eye really makes a difference.

Yes, I totally agree! Life of Pi 3D is reference! And in my opinion, the best currently available thus far. Second best for me is Avatar, followed by Jurassic Park. Life of Pi was so realistic looking, that it was if you could just walk right into the TV!smile.gif Excellent movie and jaw dropping 3D!
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #461 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddgreen View Post

Thanks ted 99
So its the samsung S9 85ins
Then its not clear about the hdmi 2.0
Then theres the price of the kit
It does not seem right a 4k tv cant broadcast on the tv when they get it
One site says they will fry
The LG 4k its £16,000 in the uk
I do need a tv this size its not going to give me 4k
Lg £16,000
Samsung £35,000

Anyone purchasing a currently available 4K TV, except for the Samsung with it's capability for plug-in updating, is doing so for the ability to look at 1080p signals on 80"+ displays at distances of 10', or less. This is because none of them will be able to display 4K source material when it becomes available. Early adopters will be screwed, as I and many others were in 2005 with the $12K Sony 70" Qualia TV. After that experience, I vowed to wait and not be one of the first in. I'll be purchasing an 80"+ TV when it has 4K 60 fps, HDMI 2.0, H.265 and 10-bit color. I suspect that this will be in a year. In the meanwhile, Sony will have sold it's target of 200 84" UHDTV's and LG will have sold it's target of 2000 84" UHDTV's to early adopters and the kinks for the large edge-lit displays, such as "banding", will have been worked out. It will be safe to go in the water, then.
Ted99 is offline  
post #462 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This is because none of them will be able to display 4K source material when it becomes available ??? Why would they sell a 4K set that can't handle 4K?

HDMI 1.4, 1.4a, and 1.4b all support 4K. As well as Deep color and xvYCC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4k.aspx
dreaux is online now  
post #463 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Yes, I totally agree! Life of Pi 3D is reference! And in my opinion, the best currently available thus far. Second best for me is Avatar, followed by Jurassic Park. Life of Pi was so realistic looking, that it was if you could just walk right into the TV!smile.gif Excellent movie and jaw dropping 3D!

How is 'Titanic' 3D?
dreaux is online now  
post #464 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have any of you owner's used this LG for gaming with the current Xbox or PS3 consoles? If so, how did it perform? Thanks.





Jim
JlgLaw is online now  
post #465 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Mako88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

Anyone purchasing a currently available 4K TV, except for the Samsung with it's capability for plug-in updating, is doing so for the ability to look at 1080p signals on 80"+ displays at distances of 10', or less. This is because none of them will be able to display 4K source material when it becomes available. Early adopters will be screwed, as I and many others were in 2005 with the $12K Sony 70" Qualia TV. After that experience, I vowed to wait and not be one of the first in. I'll be purchasing an 80"+ TV when it has 4K 60 fps, HDMI 2.0, H.265 and 10-bit color. I suspect that this will be in a year. In the meanwhile, Sony will have sold it's target of 200 84" UHDTV's and LG will have sold it's target of 2000 84" UHDTV's to early adopters and the kinks for the large edge-lit displays, such as "banding", will have been worked out. It will be safe to go in the water, then.

Agree for the most part. It's tough to resist these, but the reality is that in a very short period of time the major issues/concerns will be eliminated in second-gen production models (banding/HDMI 2.0), and at a price that's similar if not even lower than first-gen units.

Still great to see the reviews and screen-shots from them, and for those owners who are enjoying them as-is, congratulations are in order for sure.
Mako88888 is offline  
post #466 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

Have any of you owner's used this LG for gaming with the current Xbox or PS3 consoles? If so, how did it perform? Thanks.





Jim

I am playing Far Cry 3 right now on Xbox 360 and the performance is excellent. No lag, very smooth. There is a game setting but I am not sure it does anything different as far as frame rate, the manual is not very detailed. I am just using my user setting in the Standard mode.
dreaux is online now  
post #467 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I am playing Far Cry 3 right now on Xbox 360 and the performance is excellent. No lag, very smooth. There is a game setting but I am not sure it does anything different as far as frame rate, the manual is not very detailed. I am just using my user setting in the Standard mode.[/quote





Thanks for the response dreaux. I'm looking for a large display for my kids game room. Considering a move to either the LG or the Samsung (85") for that purpose.



Jim
JlgLaw is online now  
post #468 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
6athome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I ran across this old link I had to one of the first 1080p lcd TV's http://tv.about.com/od/lcdproductreviews/fr/WestingLVM42w2.htm.
Their is hope for 4k content.
6athome is offline  
post #469 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
NSX1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just watched Hugo again but this time on the LG. Hugo is another must have as it has great depth and even popout. The setting is in the late 1920s, while the story is slow at the beginning it gets better at the end..There is no ghosting and the colors are bright.
NSX1992 is offline  
post #470 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

How is 'Titanic' 3D?

Overall I thought the 3D was pretty good. But Titanic has more depth than pop out effects. While it was good, I actually preferred the remastered 3D edition of Jurassic Park (plenty of depth and some amazing pop out moments).
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #471 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

Just watched Hugo again but this time on the LG. Hugo is another must have as it has great depth and even popout. The setting is in the late 1920s, while the story is slow at the beginning it gets better at the end..There is no ghosting and the colors are bright.

Very cool!smile.gif I have Hugo on 3D Blu-ray, I need to watch it. Thanks for sharing how awesome it looks on the LG!wink.gif

I'm curious, have you watched any of the following 3D Blu-ray's on the LG? And if so how were they in regards to PQ and 3D quality? And did they all play ok without any left/right syncing errors?


The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
John Carter
The Three Musketeers
Underworld Awakening
Tron
The Avengers
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #472 of 1225 Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have to say, with high quality content, this TV rocks! HD satellite varies from channel to channel (and even day to day) on the amount of compression used, but at its best with less compression artifacts visible, the PQ is nothing sort of stunning on this TV! I just finished watching NBC's Revolution, and ABC's Once Upon a Time I had DVR'd, and I was just reveling in the gorgeous PQ! The images were super detailed with excellent color and clarity. I was very impressed! It's moments like these that I really love my LG!

I compared the PQ on a Sony 1080p LCD (non 4K) I have in another room, as that one has an HD satellite DVR as well, and the same programs, while clear and looked really good, just did not have the amount of detail and overall wow factor that the LG has. At 84" it looked sharper and more detailed than the 52". This goes to show just how well the LG does as upscaling 1080 HD.
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #473 of 1225 Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Watched the 4K mastered 'Glory' and 'Angles and Demons' and was not impressed. Both were dark an moody and didn't really have any scenes that stood out.
Think I will get 'Jurassic Park' 3D and 'John Carter' .

Don't know if any of you like epics but 'Red Cliff' blu-ray directed by John Woo is a true epic of huge proportions. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. But you have to make sure you watch the international version which is 2 discs.
This was a big budget film which received quite a bit of praise. It looked terrific on the LG, the vast scenes and in court settings are all done with the highest quality. I first watched from Netflix and after viewing it I had to buy it.
dreaux is online now  
post #474 of 1225 Old 05-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

This is because none of them will be able to display 4K source material when it becomes available ??? Why would they sell a 4K set that can't handle 4K?

HDMI 1.4, 1.4a, and 1.4b all support 4K. As well as Deep color and xvYCC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4k.aspx

Yes, but not 60 fps. Only important to gamers with a high-end video card, now; but UHDTV is purportedly going to be 60 fps in lieu of the current 24 fps for Blu-ray. So, if one is looking for an easy trade-off between current availability vs. future proofing, one would want HDMI 2.0 since it's being released by year end. I really want this 4K capability, but for a small wait, I'll be able to get a set with the compression CODEC that UHDTV will need to use (H.265), HDMI 2.0, and probably 10-bit color. The current LG and Sony 84" displays are 8-bit color. As to cost, I remember kicking myself for purchasing the Sony 70" Qualia for $12K when a 70" XBR was available less than a year later for $6K . I just got a notice in the mail that a settlement for the class action suit against Sony for misleading purchasers that the 70" sets were 1080p, when in fact they were 1080i. If you were the least aware, you knew that, but the advertising was misleading. I submit the same thing is happening now and some purchasers are not aware that their UHDTV's will be unable to receive a broadcast, satellite, or cable UHDTV signal, when they are available.
Ted99 is offline  
post #475 of 1225 Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Watched the 4K mastered 'Glory' and 'Angles and Demons' and was not impressed. Both were dark an moody and didn't really have any scenes that stood out.
Think I will get 'Jurassic Park' 3D and 'John Carter' .

Don't know if any of you like epics but 'Red Cliff' blu-ray directed by John Woo is a true epic of huge proportions. This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. But you have to make sure you watch the international version which is 2 discs.
This was a big budget film which received quite a bit of praise. It looked terrific on the LG, the vast scenes and in court settings are all done with the highest quality. I first watched from Netflix and after viewing it I had to buy it.

Good to know that those releases aren't worth buying. If you like Jurassic Park, you are in for a real treat with the 3D edition!smile.gif I have not yet seen John Carter in 3D, so I don't know how it looks on the LG. It's one I'm curious about though.

Thanks for the Red Cliff recommendation.wink.gif I'll give that one a rent.
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #476 of 1225 Old 05-28-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

Yes, but not 60 fps. Only important to gamers with a high-end video card, now; but UHDTV is purportedly going to be 60 fps in lieu of the current 24 fps for Blu-ray. So, if one is looking for an easy trade-off between current availability vs. future proofing, one would want HDMI 2.0 since it's being released by year end. I really want this 4K capability, but for a small wait, I'll be able to get a set with the compression CODEC that UHDTV will need to use (H.265), HDMI 2.0, and probably 10-bit color. The current LG and Sony 84" displays are 8-bit color. As to cost, I remember kicking myself for purchasing the Sony 70" Qualia for $12K when a 70" XBR was available less than a year later for $6K . I just got a notice in the mail that a settlement for the class action suit against Sony for misleading purchasers that the 70" sets were 1080p, when in fact they were 1080i. If you were the least aware, you knew that, but the advertising was misleading. I submit the same thing is happening now and some purchasers are not aware that their UHDTV's will be unable to receive a broadcast, satellite, or cable UHDTV signal, when they are available.

As far as satellite, cable, or streaming is concerned, I think we are all in for a lengthy wait. When HD was hitting the scene many years ago, it took satellite and cable a long time to start broadcasting in HD. And even now, almost all content delivered via satellite is 1080i. So realistically, I think 4K broadcasts are at least 3 years away. 4K streaming may appear sooner than that, but even so, how many people in the US have 30 Mbps connections or faster? In the major cities maybe, but for the vast majority of the US, the max is 10-14 Mbps. Where I live, 8.5 Mbps is the fastest I can get. So for me, 4K streaming is not a viable option.

The biggest thing would be the ability to watch 4K movies via 4K Blu-ray's. I know that the HDMI organization is hard at work trying to get HDMI version 2.0 ready and available for manufacturers to implement in products. But it's unlikely that they will have it ready this year, and 2014 seems more likely. But even if they release the new HDMI standard in early 2014, electronics companies will then need time to start using it in new product lines. So it's quite possible that we won't see any TV's with HDMI 2.0 until summer 2014. So one could be looking at over a year wait.

And that's fine, and I could have waited another year or more. But, I had already been waiting for over 2 years to buy a new TV, so the idea of waiting around that much longer just isn't something I wanted to do. No one knows what the future has in store, and it's quite possible that a new 84" (or larger) screen size that is 4K , HDMI 2.0, HEVC h.265, etc. will be released. But then again, what if there are no more 4K screen sizes made available that are larger than say 75" (70" being more likely).

I may very well have a TV that may not be compatible with 4K Blu-ray, once and when they are available. Sure I will feel a bit let down, but in all honesty, the primary reason I got this 84" TV, was to be able to watch 3D Blu-ray's in 1080p per eye in passive 3D. So 4K Blu-ray's, satellite, etc. were not a factor at that time. But if LG decides to offer an upgrade option that will allow the TV to work with HDMI 2.0 @ 60 fps, I will get my TV upgraded for sure. I guess only time will tell. But one thing that is certain, 4K is indeed the future.smile.gif
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #477 of 1225 Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

Yes, but not 60 fps. Only important to gamers with a high-end video card, now; but UHDTV is purportedly going to be 60 fps in lieu of the current 24 fps for Blu-ray. So, if one is looking for an easy trade-off between current availability vs. future proofing, one would want HDMI 2.0 since it's being released by year end. I really want this 4K capability, but for a small wait, I'll be able to get a set with the compression CODEC that UHDTV will need to use (H.265), HDMI 2.0, and probably 10-bit color. The current LG and Sony 84" displays are 8-bit color. As to cost, I remember kicking myself for purchasing the Sony 70" Qualia for $12K when a 70" XBR was available less than a year later for $6K . I just got a notice in the mail that a settlement for the class action suit against Sony for misleading purchasers that the 70" sets were 1080p, when in fact they were 1080i. If you were the least aware, you knew that, but the advertising was misleading. I submit the same thing is happening now and some purchasers are not aware that their UHDTV's will be unable to receive a broadcast, satellite, or cable UHDTV signal, when they are available.

HEVC (H.265) Adoption Is At Least Five Years Away For Consumer Content Services. I doubt UHD will come on satellite or cable.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1126571-hevc-h-265-adoption-is-at-least-5-years-away-for-consumer-content-services

I had the Qualia 006 70" for 5 years and it worked great, never had an OB problem. I paid 9K and it did up scale to 1080p although had 1080i inputs.
Yes we will not get 60fps. But waiting for a second generation is advisable. Do that.

I am watching the new BBC series 'Africa' blu-ray and my LG is giving me the best picture I have ever seen. I am coming from the Qualia and the Sharp Elite 70". I am sure I can endure this until they work out the HDMI 2.0 and H.265.
dreaux is online now  
post #478 of 1225 Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Member
 
robinsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Even then, H.265 is just a compression codec, and has nothing to do with what version HDMI you are using, the TV could care less what codec is used, unless you are trying to us the tv itself to play and decode files - most people do not do this.
robinsj is offline  
post #479 of 1225 Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post

Even then, H.265 is just a compression codec, and has nothing to do with what version HDMI you are using, the TV could care less what codec is used, unless you are trying to us the tv itself to play and decode files - most people do not do this.

Very true! I think in the near term, the most important benefit for H.265 is for 4K Blu-ray. And with that the player itself will be doing all the decoding, then sending out a 2160 4K signal via HDMI.
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #480 of 1225 Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looking forward to see how the new Red-ray works out.

The REDRAY PLAYER is the first plug-and-play friendly device capable of providing 4K content to 4K displays. REDRAY features the ability to play 4K files as well as upscale HD files to Ultra High-Definition resolution (4096×2160). REDRAY connects to 4K displays using 1x 1.4 HDMI output or 4x HDMI 1.3 outputs, with an additional HDMI output for 7.1 channel audio (for HD displays, REDRAY uses 1x HDMI 1.3 output). REDRAY also supports 3D playback at high frame rates (48-60fps) — more than twice that of traditional HD plug-and-play 3D devices. Use your REDRAY iPad app or included IR remote to control your REDRAY and connect to your content like never before.

http://www.red.com/store/products/redray-player
dreaux is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off