Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1198 Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Watched the 4K mastered 'Battle Los Angeles' and it is worth viewing. The resolution and detail was excellent as well as vibrant colors. Looked quite a bit better than 'Glory' and 'Angles and Demons' 4K mastered.

Even though it is 4K mastered, it is still 1080p, right? Can you actually tell the difference, even on a 4K TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1198 Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

Even though it is 4K mastered, it is still 1080p, right? Can you actually tell the difference, even on a 4K TV?

Yes it is still 1080p and I can really tell the difference on 'The Karate Kid' and 'Battle Los Angles". I am viewing on the LG 4K, but I am sure you will see a difference on most any good set.
post #543 of 1198 Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 PM
y2j

Hello everyone. I have my LG 84LM9600 scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
I've been trying out the Sony 65" 4k TV for the past few weeks and I was pretty happy with the picture quality
but not with the size as my previous tv was a Mitz 73" DLP.

Is everyone satisfied with their purchase of this LG?
What complaints or defects do these sets have so I can be on the lookout to see if mine has issues?

Has LG said anything about a new model of their 84" yet?
Did anyone from LG confirm that this set can be upgraded to HDMI 2.0 once it becomes available?

Has anyone got their set professionally calibrated? If so, could you please share your settings?
If not, could you please share the settings you are using if you calibrated it yourself using the built in program?

Has anyone been able to get this LG for less than $10,000 from an authorized dealer?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

post #544 of 1198 Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Yes it is still 1080p and I can really tell the difference on 'The Karate Kid' and 'Battle Los Angles". I am viewing on the LG 4K, but I am sure you will see a difference on most any good set.

I just got the 4K Mastered Karate Kid, and I plan to watch it over the weekend.smile.gif It should be quite a visual treat!
post #545 of 1198 Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j View Post

Hello everyone. I have my LG 84LM9600 scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
I've been trying out the Sony 65" 4k TV for the past few weeks and I was pretty happy with the picture quality
but not with the size as my previous tv was a Mitz 73" DLP.

Is everyone satisfied with their purchase of this LG?
What complaints or defects do these sets have so I can be on the lookout to see if mine has issues?

Has LG said anything about a new model of their 84" yet?
Did anyone from LG confirm that this set can be upgraded to HDMI 2.0 once it becomes available?

Has anyone got their set professionally calibrated? If so, could you please share your settings?
If not, could you please share the settings you are using if you calibrated it yourself using the built in program?

Has anyone been able to get this LG for less than $10,000 from an authorized dealer?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

First off congratulations on your new LG 4K TV!smile.gif

While we are all VERY impressed with the overall PQ, there is one shared complaint on these 84" sets, and that is the visible banding. It will vary in severity from panel to panel, with some being more obvious than another. Other than that, the PQ on everything from Blu-ray to HD satellite is stunning! Off axis viewing is also excellent with this TV, thanks to it being an IPS panel. Black levels are really good as well, thanks to the TV's local dimming and processing. Black levels are even better on this set than they are on the Sony 84" 4K TV.

And while this LG may not have a Triluminous type panel, the colors it produces are exceptionally vivid! And the built in upscaler does an amazing job with all high quality HD sources.

Most owners here have not had theirs professionally calibrated, and have adjusted it themselves. And a few that have had theirs calibrated didn't really care for the end result, and ended up doing their own adjusting.

I didn't use the built in program and used a test disc, and then tweaked it a bit to my preference.

Here are my current settings.

As far as getting it for under $10,000 from an authorized dealer, I don't know of any off hand.
dreaux likes this.
post #546 of 1198 Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Given the current dealer cost on these panels, the only way you'll get one under $10K is if the dealer is willing to personally subsidize your purchase.smile.gif

Jim
post #547 of 1198 Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
If, as they say, only 2000 were made, won't that stop any price reductions because they'll all soon be sold out? (Or was 2000 just a myth?)

Some guy, up here in Canada, trying to sell this TV for $28,000!
post #548 of 1198 Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone considering using the Darbee Vision Darblet with the LG 84LM9600? I have one I had used with a previous set. I hooked it up yesterday to see if I could see any sharpness in PQ but was hesitant in doing it since the LG puts out such a nice sharp picture while up scaling.
I did notice it sharpened the background in different scenes. I have it set at 50% which seems to work well. A number of programs on ESPN and ABC originate in 720p and even though the LG is up scaling the Darbee does give it a little more 'pop'.

I already had it and figured to put it to use. But yes it does improve the PQ without artifacts. As video processors go it's not a lot of money but I would have to say if you want the most out of the set in terms of sharpness I would think it is worth it. wink.gif The 84" is a large screen and I think the image quality is pushed to the limit so this little bit does help some.

There is a cheaper Darbee called the 'Cobalt' but it does not do 3D.
post #549 of 1198 Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM

A 4k camcorder needs 4 hdmi
Connections
The lg has 4 hdm
So need more hdmi
For saterlite and bluray
If i get a hdmi selecter
Will it harm the picture
post #550 of 1198 Old 06-08-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems to be high praise for the new Cleopatra blu-ray, said to be scanned in 8K. Restored from original 70mm Todd-AO elements.

" It was a high point for the magnificence of Todd-AO 70mm and the unique richness of De Luxe Color - all beautifully and faithfully transferred by 20th Century Fox to this new Blu-ray edition."
post #551 of 1198 Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
If, as they say, only 2000 were made, won't that stop any price reductions because they'll all soon be sold out? (Or was 2000 just a myth?)

Meanwhile, i was googling around and read a comment from a Swedish poster that bought the LG-84LM9600 and was very upset with vertical bands easily visible onscreen; He said he contacted LG Support in Sweden and repair techs came over his house, assessed the malfunction and told him that those vertical bands are endemic to those panels and that he could either get a 15% discount and keep that UHD TV or get a 100% full refund, and he decided accepting the latter.
Since i read online reviews of the LG-84LM9600 as well as the review of the Sony 84" UHD at Home Theater Magazine (same panel as the LG) and have followed all comments in this thread - maybe i'll become an owner someday but for now i'm very satisfied with my Runco LED projector - i've been wondering why in this day and age are manufacturers still struggling with vertical bands on LCD panels.
If i remember correctly, a similar problem plagued Sharp's then new facility about 3 1/2 years ago - generation 8 or 9 LCD fabrication plant - and after many poor reviews and negative comments right here at AVS Forum, Sharp decided to investigate the problem and found out it was related to some residue being left on the metal rollers in the manufacturing plant and supposedly corrected the problem.
I imagine that those vertical bands would appear onscreen at equal intervals following the metal roller's position and i wonder if this is a similar problem that plagues the LG-84LM9600 and if it appears on other current top-of-the-line LCD panels from Sharp, Samsung, Sony + Taiwanese manufacturers ? Or could this problem be related to the use of edge lighting and unwanted internal reflections ? What have all those LG repair technicians going to customer's homes to replace 84" UHD LCD panels (BTW, all i can say is WOW !?) have to say about those bands ? Perhaps i missed that explanation in this thread ?
Could it be that LG decided to manufacture only 2.200 of these 84" UHD LCD panels (200 panels went to Sony) just to see how the market would react at different pricing levels - originally, msrp of $19,999.99, then widely sold online for $16,999.99, then $14,500.00, then $12,999.99 and currently $11,999.99 - to better assess whether or not to release a future version and estimate profit margins, but instead got caught by surprise by so many reports of vertical banding ?
I own a 37" HDTV from Mitsubishi that i bought years ago that uses then-standard CCFL lamps located, i imagine, in the middle of the panel, and certainly i have never noticed any vertical bands.
On the other hand, i read a comment somewhere from someone (oh boy !) stating that if LG were to implement LED full-backlight with local-dimming to the LG-84LM9600 it would have increased its cost by $5,000.00 to $6,000.00, which seems rather excessive to me.
Don't take me wrong guys, without even seen it i am absolutely sure that the LG-84LM9600 puts out an amazing image due to those 8 million pixels which allows the viewer to sit very/very close to the screen for a more immersive experience if so desired, that its colors are right on the mark and that its contrast ratio with LED smart lighting engaged is excellent, but those damned vertical bands...
Marcos
post #552 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

That's NUTS!eek.gif
post #553 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is anyone considering using the Darbee Vision Darblet with the LG 84LM9600? I have one I had used with a previous set. I hooked it up yesterday to see if I could see any sharpness in PQ but was hesitant in doing it since the LG puts out such a nice sharp picture while up scaling.
I did notice it sharpened the background in different scenes. I have it set at 50% which seems to work well. A number of programs on ESPN and ABC originate in 720p and even though the LG is up scaling the Darbee does give it a little more 'pop'.

I already had it and figured to put it to use. But yes it does improve the PQ without artifacts. As video processors go it's not a lot of money but I would have to say if you want the most out of the set in terms of sharpness I would think it is worth it. wink.gif The 84" is a large screen and I think the image quality is pushed to the limit so this little bit does help some.

There is a cheaper Darbee called the 'Cobalt' but it does not do 3D.

While I don't own a Darbee Darblet, I was asked by someone some time back if using one would make any discernible difference on a 4K TV. Interesting on your findings. Thanks for sharing.smile.gif

I got a chance to watch the Mastered in 4K Karate Kid, and overall I thought it looked really good. I do not own the previous Blu-ray release so I was not able to do any A/B comparisons. But just looking at it on its own, I was honestly expecting a bit more wow factor. Blu-ray's like The Dark Knight, Samsara, Cloud Atlas, The Impossible, and Gangster Squad look absolutely gorgeous! Detail and clarity are just WOW! I guess I was expecting the same from the 4K mastered Karate Kid.

Since I didn't already own the Blu-ray, picking it up for $15 was fine. The movie itself is good enough to own, and if this one is the best looking it's a worthwhile purchase.smile.gif
post #554 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Meanwhile, i was googling around and read a comment from a Swedish poster that bought the LG-84LM9600 and was very upset with vertical bands easily visible onscreen; He said he contacted LG Support in Sweden and repair techs came over his house, assessed the malfunction and told him that those vertical bands are endemic to those panels and that he could either get a 15% discount and keep that UHD TV or get a 100% full refund, and he decided accepting the latter.
Since i read online reviews of the LG-84LM9600 as well as the review of the Sony 84" UHD at Home Theater Magazine (same panel as the LG) and have followed all comments in this thread - maybe i'll become an owner someday but for now i'm very satisfied with my Runco LED projector - i've been wondering why in this day and age are manufacturers still struggling with vertical bands on LCD panels.
If i remember correctly, a similar problem plagued Sharp's then new facility about 3 1/2 years ago - generation 8 or 9 LCD fabrication plant - and after many poor reviews and negative comments right here at AVS Forum, Sharp decided to investigate the problem and found out it was related to some residue being left on the metal rollers in the manufacturing plant and supposedly corrected the problem.
I imagine that those vertical bands would appear onscreen at equal intervals following the metal roller's position and i wonder if this is a similar problem that plagues the LG-84LM9600 and if it appears on other current top-of-the-line LCD panels from Sharp, Samsung, Sony + Taiwanese manufacturers ? Or could this problem be related to the use of edge lighting and unwanted internal reflections ? What have all those LG repair technicians going to customer's homes to replace 84" UHD LCD panels (BTW, all i can say is WOW !?) have to say about those bands ? Perhaps i missed that explanation in this thread ?
Could it be that LG decided to manufacture only 2.200 of these 84" UHD LCD panels (200 panels went to Sony) just to see how the market would react at different pricing levels - originally, msrp of $19,999.99, then widely sold online for $16,999.99, then $14,500.00, then $12,999.99 and currently $11,999.99 - to better assess whether or not to release a future version and estimate profit margins, but instead got caught by surprise by so many reports of vertical banding ?
I own a 37" HDTV from Mitsubishi that i bought years ago that uses then-standard CCFL lamps located, i imagine, in the middle of the panel, and certainly i have never noticed any vertical bands.
On the other hand, i read a comment somewhere from someone (oh boy !) stating that if LG were to implement LED full-backlight with local-dimming to the LG-84LM9600 it would have increased its cost by $5,000.00 to $6,000.00, which seems rather excessive to me.
Don't take me wrong guys, without even seen it i am absolutely sure that the LG-84LM9600 puts out an amazing image due to those 8 million pixels which allows the viewer to sit very/very close to the screen for a more immersive experience if so desired, that its colors are right on the mark and that its contrast ratio with LED smart lighting engaged is excellent, but those damned vertical bands...
Marcos

Yes, I totally agree! In this day and age TV manufactuerers should have really tight quality control, especially when it comes to mega buck displays. And the banding is due to a uniformity issue being caused by the LED edge lighting. LG is well aware of the issue and is supposed to be working on a solution. Hopefully they will, as that is about the only sore spot with this TV. Other than that the PQ is phenomenal!!

And you're right about CCFL back lit LCD TV's, I have two in other rooms and they have zero banding. Once the move was made to use LED's as the light source, banding issues started to appear. In most ways we are definitely going forward technology wise, but in other aspects it seems like we're taking 2 steps backwards.

A lot of people are all hyped up about OLED and how awesome that technology will be. But just like any other new technology, it will have its share of issues as well. Right now no ones knows the longevity of an OLED display, or how sensitive it will be with image burn in. I'm sure these things will rear their ugly heads once the TV's are in real world use.

I love my LG TV, but I do occasionally cringe when I see those nasty bands.
post #555 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems to be high praise for the new Cleopatra blu-ray, said to be scanned in 8K. Restored from original 70mm Todd-AO elements.

" It was a high point for the magnificence of Todd-AO 70mm and the unique richness of De Luxe Color - all beautifully and faithfully transferred by 20th Century Fox to this new Blu-ray edition."

May need to keep my eye on that one.smile.gif Thanks for sharing!wink.gif
post #556 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
ohyeah32,
Were you one of the owners that had the panels exchanged and if so, does the new panel offer an improvement over banding issues ?
I am SOOOOO impressed with the response from LG by sending technicians right to customer's homes to exchange such humongous and delicate panels. A couple of years ago when i first saw the 80" Sharp i simply stood there completely mesmerized by such huge flat video display and immediately realized that sooner or later i would purchase one of those beauties and i also came to the conclusion that three things would stop me from doing so: price, performance and repairs.
I feel that price and performance have reached an acceptable level and my only concern in owning one of these panels is how to best handle repairs and the absolute nightmare it must be to re-package it very/very carefully in its original shipping box AND carry it to a UPS facility, as i wouldn't want it to be picked up in person just to spend the rest of the day inside a delivery truck then go through several changes in transportation.It would make matters so much easier for both manufacturer and customer if companies like Sharp , Samsung, LG, Sony, etc, were to announce that all LCD panels larger than 60" would and could be completely repairable in the field, at customer's homes, all parts easily replaceable including the panel, done either by locally trained Sharp technicians in major metropolitan areas or by an arrangement similar to the Geek Squad if purchased from Best Buy, even at added cost to customer.
I think that such arrangement would go a long way toward an "explosion" of purchases of very large LCD displays, besides currently-achieved performance levels and pricing below $6,000.00.
BTW, the "Cleopatra" blu-ray comes in two versions, one has a booklet consisting of several pages, and that's the one i'm getting...
post #557 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

ohyeah32,
Were you one of the owners that had the panels exchanged and if so, does the new panel offer an improvement over banding issues ?
I am SOOOOO impressed with the response from LG by sending technicians right to customer's homes to exchange such humongous and delicate panels. A couple of years ago when i first saw the 80" Sharp i simply stood there completely mesmerized by such huge flat video display and immediately realized that sooner or later i would purchase one of those beauties and i also came to the conclusion that three things would stop me from doing so: price, performance and repairs.
I feel that price and performance have reached an acceptable level and my only concern in owning one of these panels is how to best handle repairs and the absolute nightmare it must be to re-package it very/very carefully in its original shipping box AND carry it to a UPS facility, as i wouldn't want it to be picked up in person just to spend the rest of the day inside a delivery truck then go through several changes in transportation.It would make matters so much easier for both manufacturer and customer if companies like Sharp , Samsung, LG, Sony, etc, were to announce that all LCD panels larger than 60" would and could be completely repairable in the field, at customer's homes, all parts easily replaceable including the panel, done either by locally trained Sharp technicians in major metropolitan areas or by an arrangement similar to the Geek Squad if purchased from Best Buy, even at added cost to customer.
I think that such arrangement would go a long way toward an "explosion" of purchases of very large LCD displays, besides currently-achieved performance levels and pricing below $6,000.00.
BTW, the "Cleopatra" blu-ray comes in two versions, one has a booklet consisting of several pages, and that's the one i'm getting...

No, I haven't had my TV's panel replaced....yet. I'm waiting to see "If" LG offers a fix for the uniformity issue. If not, I may very well see about them replacing the panel. Like you, I am also very impressed with what LG has done for those owners here, by changing out the panel. Those who have had their TV's panel replaced, have said that the uniformity is better and that the banding is less noticeable.

Yes, it would be nice if all TV companies would be willing to go that extra mile for their customers.

BTW, thanks for letting me know that there are two versions of Cleopatra.wink.gif
post #558 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

No, I haven't had my TV's panel replaced....yet. I'm waiting to see "If" LG offers a fix for the uniformity issue. If not, I may very well see about them replacing the panel. Like you, I am also very impressed with what LG has done for those owners here, by changing out the panel. Those who have had their TV's panel replaced, have said that the uniformity is better and that the banding is less noticeable.

Yes, it would be nice if all TV companies would be willing to go that extra mile for their customers.

BTW, thanks for letting me know that there are two versions of Cleopatra.wink.gif

Not sure if both versions of Cleopatra were transferred from the 70mm print. I know Cleopatra (50th Anniversary 2-Disc Edition) was. I had to read the reviews to be sure. I ordered it and will let you know.

My banding is very difficult to see. My set was a February 2013 build. I don't see it on blue skies or any light background. I have seen it only rarely.

Here is a pic of my set with a 75% gray.

post #559 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
From what I've read, LEDs are in short supply!
Secondly, they are not uniform in their light outputs, thusly, to get a full LED Backllight, it takes a lot of time and effort to try and match up LEDs that are very close to specing each other. Hence the manufacturers trying the EdgeLit gambit - which as we all know, is a hit and miss tactic, even within the same Model #.
Would be interesting to hear from any members in Scandinavia, if they've seen their Local TV Product that is supposedly all Hand Built!
If so, do they have Banding issues?

http://www.peopleoflava.com/television/royal-sweden/
post #560 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Hi guys

I figured you'd like a little info from a calibrator here, since it appears that no one here actually has had the set professionally calibrated (I browsed through a lot of pages, but not all).

Keep in mind that the information I give below was based on a calibration for a bright store environment (one of my client's A/V Shop), so any settings I have are for that bright environment that is always filled with light.

First I'd like to say that the TV performed really good and at this price it should. The TV was calibrated with my reference Konica-Minolta CS-1000A spectroradiometer, an Accupel DVG-5000 video generator (set to output native 10-bit Deep Colour patterns), and Calman software.

The obvious:

- Anything ECO - turn off
- turn off all other NRs
- black level LOW
- LED Local Dimming Low
- gamma 2.2 is what I aimed for, because even though the room is bright, it's dark above the TV. Judgement call vs. ~2.0 gamma.

STANDARD, CINEMA, ISF Modes can all be made to look exactly the same based on my initial testing to decide what mode to calibrate in. They all have the same light output at max with a 100% window (approx. 80fL), and the picture generated the same image (black, colour, sharpness) with all test patterns when all controls were set the same. So I guess it didn't matter what mode I calibrated in. I was trying to look for one mode to do something different - anything within the time I had - but didn't find a difference. I proceeded to calibrate in ISF EXPERT 1.

This model is located in Canada. The information on settings below and the affects on image quality at the setting may not apply to your model/serial numbered set.

Standard/Cinema/ISF modes:
Contrast: any setting above 95 clips 102% above white detail in PLUGE.
Brightness: any setting below 52 starts hiding IC16.5 and above
Colour/Tint: 50/0
Sharpness: anything above 0 unnaturally enhances the picture (see note below)

After calibration:
Reference White Level: 75fL (with backlight up to 100 for the store)
GRAYSCALE: I chose to calibrate grayscale with the 20point system for maximum flexibility.
- RULER FLAT. dEu’v’ of 2 or below from 10%-100%, many at 1 or below
- GAMMA – virtually dead-on 2.2 after manipulating the RGB controls at each drive level

COLOUR: dE1994 of 2 or below (for all colours).
If anyone cares...
DeltaL: Green highest at 1.05, magenta highest at 1.45
DeltaC: Blue highest at 4.5, yellow highest at 5
DeltaH: Green highest at 5, magenta highest at 3.5

I did run out of time to see if I could go further for the fun of it, but I hit the targets I wanted the most.

Black level (not measured) with LED Local Dimming set to LOW looked very good. Not much blooming. I tried turning off as many lights in the room as I could, but there was still light coming off of the glare screen so I couldn’t tell exactly how black edge-to-edge the image was. Sorry guys.

Uniformity: OK, much like most panels out there (LCD or plasma). There are variances across the screen and that depends on % gray full screen chosen.

Steps were visible on the linearity ramp feeding the TV a native 8-bit signal (expected).
Steps were barely visible on the 10-bit linearity ramp using 10-bit output, but only up close). There was no discolouration or noise at any point on either ramp.

I’ll call 1080p 2K from now on. 2K-4K upconversion: hmmmmm… watching the one movie “THE AVENGERS” looked great! This panel never looked better. The panel was terrible in every mode out of the box from factory default, so gentlemen, you should consider finding a reputable calibrator in your area to get the set looking correct if you don’t have the tools and/or know-how.

There is a huge benefit of a 4K panel on 2K material. The obvious is that we can sit closer without seeing pixels. AWESOME. I think people in these forums underrate that advantage and it’ll take more 4K panel exposure to change minds. Those of you have this TV know exactly what I mean!

Imagine a fixed-pixel display that makes your digital video look more analogue. That's how I feel about this 4K display, and probably about 4K panels in general once more become available. I feel the image looks more analogue because of the increased pixel count. Pixels no longer inhibit information being seen. As an aside, from day one I’ve always felt a pixel is an artefact even though it makes up the picture on our display devices. But we aren’t ‘intended’ to see pixels by the filmmaker; pixels just make up the pictures they want us to see. 1080p panels have edginess to them because they’re coarse just like 480p panels were for 480p material. One pixel row on the display is for one pixel row of picture information. The transitions between pixel rows and the information sent to them are just enough to see it. …using 2 pixels to display a single pixel row of information (horizontal or vertical) should guarantee the content is displayed without pixels inhibiting the signal information, thus a better transition. Before any 4K talk (or before me even knowing what 4K was) I’ve been waiting for this to happen since 1080p became a reality in the home. Frankly I’m surprised it’s taken this long (or at least that more people haven’t voiced up about this as a concern. Even the dark spaces between pixels (aka pixel fill) can be perceived as reduced light output from the panel). Having finally been able to watch 1080p content on this 4K panel, I feel that 1080p content can now finally breathe and look as good as it possibly can. And yes, I do believe that 4K content will look best on 8K 4320x7680 devices...but for most of us we’ll agree to disagree on that one for now biggrin.gif

Anyways, back to the LG display, I’d be very happy with this panel. My only issue with it: a ghost. I don’t want to call it edge enhancement, but I say that because it looks like it, but I really don’t think it is. I *think* this may be an artefact of the TV’s 2K to 4K upconversion. Solid lines on this TV, even with all enhancement/sharpness controls turned off, have an outline in both the horizontal and vertical direction. I couldn’t get rid of it in any picture mode. See attached photo of the sharpness pattern taken up close.

[*This reminds me of back in the day when Toshiba/Hitachi started doing 480p to 540p upconversion on their RPTV CRTs and the ‘ghosting’ that happened on any contrasting line because of it. The only way to get rid of it was to feed a native 540p direct signal to it (I did from a Runco PFP-7 scaler). Basically, the TV’s upconverter was bad and Runco’s was better.]

The first photo shows it more in the horizontal direction because it’s brighter. The second photo shows both horizontal and vertical. It affects about 4 pixel rows on each side of the line. There are 2 brighter pixels next to the black line, then 2 slightly darker pixels beside the white line (faint, but there), then the image continues on normally (see my high-end MS Paint image pointing it out). I was disturbed by this because it could be seen on every test pattern image with an edge from 15 feet back. Up close, it compromised the single-pixel burst from the luma multiburst pattern; the “white row” was fatter than the “black row” suggesting that this ghost line was invading the black row’s space. They should be equal. Looking at real content – text on Blu-ray menus – I could see it around lettering. On a reference 4K panel at this price? …come on, LG…

What could get rid of it? I can’t say until I put a native 4K image into the TV from a 4K pattern generator. That I may have on hand in a few weeks. If it’s gone with native 4K content, then we know it’s:

1. probably an artefact of the internal 2K to 4K process
2. or an attempt by LG to add some enhancement to 2K material to make people think their 2K material looks sharper on their 4K panel

Since there are some BD players and receivers/preamps doing 4K upconversion as well, maybe those devices do a better job at it than this LG unit. I’ll need a 4K receiver and feed in my generator at 1080p and have the receiver do the 4K work and feed it to the TV. If the ghost is gone, then it’s the LG. I’ll try the same on a 4K BD player direct to the TV with a test pattern of similar sorts. It’s the process of elimination. If there’s a different set of artefacts in both cases, God help us. So until I do some further tests, I’m inconclusive to what’s going on here. I’ll be sure to try out the A/V receiver/preamp test soon and report on it.

For those of you who own this TV – I envy your early leap to 4K! It’s a great TV and enjoy your 1080p content – it looks amazing on this TV and enjoy it until we’re teased with some 4K content. I know if I had this 4K LG unit I’d be watching my whole Blu-ray collection all over again. I also know that I’m very ready for this new generation of video displays.

I hope this info helps some people out!
cargen, jclampit and dreaux like this.
post #561 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM

dreaux-
I'm debating whether or not I want to purchase the 90" 1080p Sharp tv, or this 84" LG 4K tv. Clearly the LG is better, but I'm hard-pressed to tell if it's $4000 better.

From reading this thread, it appears you owned the 90" Sharp before replacing it with this LG. What's your take on comparing the two of them?

Thanks!
post #562 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroRick View Post

dreaux-
I'm debating whether or not I want to purchase the 90" 1080p Sharp tv, or this 84" LG 4K tv. Clearly the LG is better, but I'm hard-pressed to tell if it's $4000 better.

From reading this thread, it appears you owned the 90" Sharp before replacing it with this LG. What's your take on comparing the two of them?

Thanks!

The Sharp 90" has a great picture and very good black levels. There is a new 2013 Sharp 90" for sale now for less that the 2012 model.
The LG has a finer smoother picture because it it up-scaling to 2160p but it does have some built in limitations since it does not have an HDMI 2 which is not out yet which will allow greater frame rates and expanded color.
I would imagine the 2nd generation 4K set will probably have it when they come out in the fall.

The Sharp 90" is an excellent set and I was very happy with it but if it were me I would go with the Sharp 90" or wait for a later generation of 4K sets. But there is one thing you might consider, the LG 4K 84" may be the last of the large screen 4K set for awhile, seems the set manufacturers are focused on 55" and 65" sets.
post #563 of 1198 Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Liked: 12
I have the latest and last 92" Mitsubishi DLP in the living room and there is no comparison, the LG is much better. Especially 3D upgraded to 4K with passive is unbeatable. It looks like these may be the last large 4K sets at least for sometime.

I did buy the LG packet of 6 pair of family 3D glasses for $20. They include 2 pair of childrens glasses, 2 pair of clip-ons, 1 pair of medium and 1 pair of full size. They are all light and look good.
post #564 of 1198 Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post

Hi guys

I figured you'd like a little info from a calibrator here, since it appears that no one here actually has had the set professionally calibrated (I browsed through a lot of pages, but not all).

Keep in mind that the information I give below was based on a calibration for a bright store environment (one of my client's A/V Shop), so any settings I have are for that bright environment that is always filled with light.

First I'd like to say that the TV performed really good and at this price it should. The TV was calibrated with my reference Konica-Minolta CS-1000A spectroradiometer, an Accupel DVG-5000 video generator (set to output native 10-bit Deep Colour patterns), and Calman software.

The obvious:

- Anything ECO - turn off
- turn off all other NRs
- black level LOW
- LED Local Dimming Low
- gamma 2.2 is what I aimed for, because even though the room is bright, it's dark above the TV. Judgement call vs. ~2.0 gamma.

STANDARD, CINEMA, ISF Modes can all be made to look exactly the same based on my initial testing to decide what mode to calibrate in. They all have the same light output at max with a 100% window (approx. 80fL), and the picture generated the same image (black, colour, sharpness) with all test patterns when all controls were set the same. So I guess it didn't matter what mode I calibrated in. I was trying to look for one mode to do something different - anything within the time I had - but didn't find a difference. I proceeded to calibrate in ISF EXPERT 1.

This model is located in Canada. The information on settings below and the affects on image quality at the setting may not apply to your model/serial numbered set.

Standard/Cinema/ISF modes:
Contrast: any setting above 95 clips 102% above white detail in PLUGE.
Brightness: any setting below 52 starts hiding IC16.5 and above
Colour/Tint: 50/0
Sharpness: anything above 0 unnaturally enhances the picture (see note below)

After calibration:
Reference White Level: 75fL (with backlight up to 100 for the store)
GRAYSCALE: I chose to calibrate grayscale with the 20point system for maximum flexibility.
- RULER FLAT. dEu’v’ of 2 or below from 10%-100%, many at 1 or below
- GAMMA – virtually dead-on 2.2 after manipulating the RGB controls at each drive level

COLOUR: dE1994 of 2 or below (for all colours).
If anyone cares...
DeltaL: Green highest at 1.05, magenta highest at 1.45
DeltaC: Blue highest at 4.5, yellow highest at 5
DeltaH: Green highest at 5, magenta highest at 3.5

I did run out of time to see if I could go further for the fun of it, but I hit the targets I wanted the most.

Black level (not measured) with LED Local Dimming set to LOW looked very good. Not much blooming. I tried turning off as many lights in the room as I could, but there was still light coming off of the glare screen so I couldn’t tell exactly how black edge-to-edge the image was. Sorry guys.

Uniformity: OK, much like most panels out there (LCD or plasma). There are variances across the screen and that depends on % gray full screen chosen.

Steps were visible on the linearity ramp feeding the TV a native 8-bit signal (expected).
Steps were barely visible on the 10-bit linearity ramp using 10-bit output, but only up close). There was no discolouration or noise at any point on either ramp.

I’ll call 1080p 2K from now on. 2K-4K upconversion: hmmmmm… watching the one movie “THE AVENGERS” looked great! This panel never looked better. The panel was terrible in every mode out of the box from factory default, so gentlemen, you should consider finding a reputable calibrator in your area to get the set looking correct if you don’t have the tools and/or know-how.

There is a huge benefit of a 4K panel on 2K material. The obvious is that we can sit closer without seeing pixels. AWESOME. I think people in these forums underrate that advantage and it’ll take more 4K panel exposure to change minds. Those of you have this TV know exactly what I mean!

Imagine a fixed-pixel display that makes your digital video look more analogue. That's how I feel about this 4K display, and probably about 4K panels in general once more become available. I feel the image looks more analogue because of the increased pixel count. Pixels no longer inhibit information being seen. As an aside, from day one I’ve always felt a pixel is an artefact even though it makes up the picture on our display devices. But we aren’t ‘intended’ to see pixels by the filmmaker; pixels just make up the pictures they want us to see. 1080p panels have edginess to them because they’re coarse just like 480p panels were for 480p material. One pixel row on the display is for one pixel row of picture information. The transitions between pixel rows and the information sent to them are just enough to see it. …using 2 pixels to display a single pixel row of information (horizontal or vertical) should guarantee the content is displayed without pixels inhibiting the signal information, thus a better transition. Before any 4K talk (or before me even knowing what 4K was) I’ve been waiting for this to happen since 1080p became a reality in the home. Frankly I’m surprised it’s taken this long (or at least that more people haven’t voiced up about this as a concern. Even the dark spaces between pixels (aka pixel fill) can be perceived as reduced light output from the panel). Having finally been able to watch 1080p content on this 4K panel, I feel that 1080p content can now finally breathe and look as good as it possibly can. And yes, I do believe that 4K content will look best on 8K 4320x7680 devices...but for most of us we’ll agree to disagree on that one for now biggrin.gif

Anyways, back to the LG display, I’d be very happy with this panel. My only issue with it: a ghost. I don’t want to call it edge enhancement, but I say that because it looks like it, but I really don’t think it is. I *think* this may be an artefact of the TV’s 2K to 4K upconversion. Solid lines on this TV, even with all enhancement/sharpness controls turned off, have an outline in both the horizontal and vertical direction. I couldn’t get rid of it in any picture mode. See attached photo of the sharpness pattern taken up close.

[*This reminds me of back in the day when Toshiba/Hitachi started doing 480p to 540p upconversion on their RPTV CRTs and the ‘ghosting’ that happened on any contrasting line because of it. The only way to get rid of it was to feed a native 540p direct signal to it (I did from a Runco PFP-7 scaler). Basically, the TV’s upconverter was bad and Runco’s was better.]

The first photo shows it more in the horizontal direction because it’s brighter. The second photo shows both horizontal and vertical. It affects about 4 pixel rows on each side of the line. There are 2 brighter pixels next to the black line, then 2 slightly darker pixels beside the white line (faint, but there), then the image continues on normally (see my high-end MS Paint image pointing it out). I was disturbed by this because it could be seen on every test pattern image with an edge from 15 feet back. Up close, it compromised the single-pixel burst from the luma multiburst pattern; the “white row” was fatter than the “black row” suggesting that this ghost line was invading the black row’s space. They should be equal. Looking at real content – text on Blu-ray menus – I could see it around lettering. On a reference 4K panel at this price? …come on, LG…

What could get rid of it? I can’t say until I put a native 4K image into the TV from a 4K pattern generator. That I may have on hand in a few weeks. If it’s gone with native 4K content, then we know it’s:

1. probably an artefact of the internal 2K to 4K process
2. or an attempt by LG to add some enhancement to 2K material to make people think their 2K material looks sharper on their 4K panel

Since there are some BD players and receivers/preamps doing 4K upconversion as well, maybe those devices do a better job at it than this LG unit. I’ll need a 4K receiver and feed in my generator at 1080p and have the receiver do the 4K work and feed it to the TV. If the ghost is gone, then it’s the LG. I’ll try the same on a 4K BD player direct to the TV with a test pattern of similar sorts. It’s the process of elimination. If there’s a different set of artefacts in both cases, God help us. So until I do some further tests, I’m inconclusive to what’s going on here. I’ll be sure to try out the A/V receiver/preamp test soon and report on it.

For those of you who own this TV – I envy your early leap to 4K! It’s a great TV and enjoy your 1080p content – it looks amazing on this TV and enjoy it until we’re teased with some 4K content. I know if I had this 4K LG unit I’d be watching my whole Blu-ray collection all over again. I also know that I’m very ready for this new generation of video displays.

I hope this info helps some people out!

Thank you for taking the time to share this very interesting info with us.wink.gif It's nice to have an actual pro calibrator visit and share impressions and results on this TV.smile.gif

The general consensus here is pretty unanimous, this TV produces an exceptional picture!! The upscaling in this TV is excellent as well, and high quality HD sources look phenomenal! The light areas (ghosting?) that are visible in the test patterns is strange, but in real world viewing I have never noticed it. So if it doesn't hinder the overall PQ I'm not bothered by it.
post #565 of 1198 Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just placed an order for the Limited Edition 2-Disc + Book, I should be receiving it by the weekend. I hope the PQ is really good.
post #566 of 1198 Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

I have the latest and last 92" Mitsubishi DLP in the living room and there is no comparison, the LG is much better. Especially 3D upgraded to 4K with passive is unbeatable. It looks like these may be the last large 4K sets at least for sometime.

I did buy the LG packet of 6 pair of family 3D glasses for $20. They include 2 pair of childrens glasses, 2 pair of clip-ons, 1 pair of medium and 1 pair of full size. They are all light and look good.

Way cool on the LG 3D glasses combo pack!smile.gif On the subject of 3D, have you watched Oz the Great and Powerful and Hansel and Gretel on your LG yet? If so how does it look? How is the 3D? Are these movies worth buying in 3D?
post #567 of 1198 Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I just placed an order for the Limited Edition 2-Disc + Book, I should be receiving it by the weekend. I hope the PQ is really good.

There are 2 of them. I think you wanted the 50th Anniversary one for the 8K scan, At least that's what I read, but maybe both are scanned at 8K.
post #568 of 1198 Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Get my LG on monday
Watching my 55ins last night
In the UK theres a tv show on five the gadget show
Last night the LG 4k was on with the sony 4k and a 4k camcorder
In the uk its repeated later in the week in the uk.
post #569 of 1198 Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are 2 of them. I think you wanted the 50th Anniversary one for the 8K scan, At least that's what I read, but maybe both are scanned at 8K.

Yep, the one I ordered is the 50th Anniversary Edition.smile.gif
post #570 of 1198 Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddgreen View Post

Get my LG on monday
Watching my 55ins last night
In the UK theres a tv show on five the gadget show
Last night the LG 4k was on with the sony 4k and a 4k camcorder
In the uk its repeated later in the week in the uk.

Congratulations, I am sure you will love it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page