Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow, it doesn't take long to start the Sony bashing. Show me ONE press release from Sony that indicated the media player was developed for 4K TV's other than their own (I'll even settle for a release from a legitimate non-speculating source). I don't think you'll find one. From the very beginning Sony indicated the Player was designed to be used with Sony's 4K TV's. As usual for this forum, member's desires create expectations that manufacturer's never agreed to meet. Not saying it wouldn't make sense to make it available to all 4K TV's, and that may in fact be the end goal, BUT up until now that has never been stated by Sony.

My other comment is best addressed in the Sony thread but since it was commented on here........ There is no doubt that a problem occurred with the implementation of the HDCP scheme where 4K was concerned. It was caught only after a couple hundred TV's had left the factory. Sony is working to fix that, albeit not fast enough for the video addicts frequenting the forum. I happen to own the 84", and no one promised me anything regarding a 4K player except the "loan" of a Dell server containing "some" 4K content. Not sure about anyone else, but I didn't buy the TV for the 4K content, I knew going in that it really isn't available at this point, and I certainly don't consider 11 movies and some independent shorts in 4K enough to justify dropping $25K on a TV. I bought it because it's what I do when some new tech catches my interest. Anyone new to being an early adopter take note, S**t happens.

Jim
GlenH and catonic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtkdc View Post

It looks like the Sony 4K Media Player will not work with the LG 4K tv ( and even their own 84" 4K tv needs to be modified ). Again , Sony greed shoots Sony in the foot. Any one know of any other source of pure 4K out there for our LG's to play now ??

Sony always said the Media Player would only work with its Sony 4K sets. That was one of their incentives to buy a Sony set. For LG it looks like just the Red ray media player which is for sale now but not sure where the content will come from.
With 4k popularity someone will offer something that will work with the LG and Toshiba etc.
post #723 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Sorry for my late posting. Congratulations on your new LG 4K TV!smile.gif Welcome aboard!

Look forward to your impressions of the TV once you get it all hooked up!

Seth

Thanks. I didn't have a chance to properly calibrate the picture yet, but even out of box, the PQ is amazing. I can confirm that upscaling from 1080p is very very good. Watched some videos on Netflix (from PS3, not the TV), the videos quality is almost as good as bluray! The only thing I don't like so far is that the screen reflects too much light. This is especially bad when the afternoon sun floods the family room.

My set up is to send all inputs to the Denon 4311ci, and from it a single HDMI cable to TV's hdmi 1 (ARC) in. When running any of the premium channels from the TV, I'd like to send the audios back to the Denon. So I set the TV's ARC mode to ON, set speaker to OFF, set Denon's HDMI control to ON, and input to TV. That didn't work, as i couldn't hear any sound. If anyone get this to work somehow, I'd like to know.

I still need to play some 3d movies, and connect my PC to see if I can play some 4k videos!

BTW, so far I haven't seen any bandings, though I haven't gone out of my way looking for them either.
post #724 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM
y2j

Did anyone purchase the extended warranty from Costco for this TV?
If so, what is your maximum coverage amount?
Mine is showing up at $4,000 maximum coverage.
If that's the max, you still can't beat it for only $100.
LG wants $2,200 for their extended warranty...what a joke!

post #725 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM
y2j

I uploaded a photo of the banding problem and light bleeding problem on my LG.
I'd like to know if any of you have issues like this or if I should contact LG repair and have them come out to try to fix it.

IMG_0273.JPG 1834k .JPG file

IMG_0270.JPG 1422k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.JPG (1.79 MB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.JPG (1.39 MB, 92 views)

post #726 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

Thanks. I didn't have a chance to properly calibrate the picture yet, but even out of box, the PQ is amazing. I can confirm that upscaling from 1080p is very very good. Watched some videos on Netflix (from PS3, not the TV), the videos quality is almost as good as bluray! The only thing I don't like so far is that the screen reflects too much light. This is especially bad when the afternoon sun floods the family room.

My set up is to send all inputs to the Denon 4311ci, and from it a single HDMI cable to TV's hdmi 1 (ARC) in. When running any of the premium channels from the TV, I'd like to send the audios back to the Denon. So I set the TV's ARC mode to ON, set speaker to OFF, set Denon's HDMI control to ON, and input to TV. That didn't work, as i couldn't hear any sound. If anyone get this to work somehow, I'd like to know.

I still need to play some 3d movies, and connect my PC to see if I can play some 4k videos!

BTW, so far I haven't seen any bandings, though I haven't gone out of my way looking for them either.

Even though you haven't had a chance to properly calibrate it, great to hear that you're super impressed with the PQ!smile.gif Everyone here shares that feeling.smile.gif

Yeah, the screen is a bit reflective, but not nearly as reflective as the 65" and 55" Sony 4K models. I agree that it would have been nice to have a more matte screen, but it's mainly all about the PQ the TV produces that's the most important thing.

Re the ARC issue, I don't have an answer for that, as I don't use ARC at all. Maybe another owner here who does can chime in.

Well that's excellent news that you don't notice any banding! Yours must be one of the VERY few that is either non existent, or so minute that it's not noticeable. Either way, I can only say LUCKY YOU! Without any banding this TV's picture IMO is perfect!

Just out of curiosity, what's the manufacturing date on yours?

Seth
post #727 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j View Post

I'd like to know if any of you have issues like this or if I should contact LG repair and have them come out to try to fix it.

The banding, from what I can see is minimal, and is far far worse on many others here. If you cannot see it when watching normal TV shows or movies, then I'd say you're fine!

As for the light bleed, to me I have seen a lot worse. And if it's only slightly noticable when watching movies and TV shows, then It's up to you whether you want to call LG support and have them take a look at it. Every edge lit TV will have some degree of light bleed, but it should not be so pronounced that it is distracting when watching stuff.
post #728 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure if anyone here has their LG warrantied through Costco. If at all possible get a warranty that at least covers up to the price paid on your TV. Find out what it covers, and what exclusions there are. Is it also protected from power surges? etc. As far as I know, the only ones that warranty a TV valued over $10K is Safeware and Warrantech.
post #729 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Well that's excellent news that you don't notice any banding! Yours must be one of the VERY few that is either non existent, or so minute that it's not noticeable. Either way, I can only say LUCKY YOU! Without any banding this TV's picture IMO is perfect!

Just out of curiosity, what's the manufacturing date on yours?

Seth

March 2013
post #730 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Your local dimming is on?
post #731 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM
y2j

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeslu View Post

Your local dimming is on?

Yes, the local dimming is set on Low.
The light bleeding and the banding is noticeable and distracting at times
so I'll guess I'll call LG soon and see if someone can come out a take a look at it.

post #732 of 1225 Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:

I'm not sure if anyone here has their LG warrantied through Costco. If at all possible get a warranty that at least covers up to the price paid on your TV. Find out what it covers, and what exclusions there are. Is it also protected from power surges? etc. As far as I know, the only ones that warranty a TV valued over $10K is Safeware and Warrantech.
Mack Camera has warranties for units all the way up to 20,000. I wonder if they would cover units above that pricing case by case. Guess I will have to ask my rep...... They are really not that expensive
Quote:

I would not trust this for a second, even if I got something in writing. How can they cover a unit $1000 and up for $100. What if it is a 103" Panasonic at a value of $45,000 ? If one looks around no one besides Costco has a warranty like this, maybe its the best deal anywhere, maybe its not..... At claim time one would find out for sure.....
post #733 of 1225 Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your banding looks very minimal. Can you see it when you have a picture on like a shot of the sky or green fields? Do you see the light bleeding which the picture is on?
post #734 of 1225 Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 AM
y2j

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Your banding looks very minimal. Can you see it when you have a picture on like a shot of the sky or green fields? Do you see the light bleeding which the picture is on?

Yes, I notice the banding frequently...especially when watching baseball.
I can see the light bleeding at times when watching TV.
I notice the light bleeding all the time when watching movies and playing video games because of the black borders.
It also looks worse in person than the pictures can show.

post #735 of 1225 Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Please let us know what LG tells you and does for you. So far they have been very very helpful for other owners of this TV.
post #736 of 1225 Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 PM

I watched some 3D blurays over the weekend. It was the best 3D experience I ever had! Guess that's nothing new to the LG owners. biggrin.gif

In terms of 3D quality, Jurassic Park is only so-so. The color was jaded, and 3D effect over done and unnatural some times. Life of Pi is superb, so is Despicable Me.

Although 3D pictures are brighter than the TV I had before, it is still dimmer than 2D picture without the passive glasses. I'd like to bump up the backlight or brightness a little when watching 3D movies. Can the LG TV be switched to that setting automatically in 3D and then switched back to the normal setting in 2D?
post #737 of 1225 Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

LG's 65 & 55" Ultra HD TVs cost $7,999 & $6,999

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1373609709
post #738 of 1225 Old 07-13-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

LG's 65 & 55" Ultra HD TVs cost $7,999 & $6,999

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1373609709

And supposedly Fully Backlit!?
post #739 of 1225 Old 07-15-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:

I think my banding is a LOT worse than yours. My light bleeding maybe the same or not quite as bad.

Out of curiosity, what's your source for the gray and black screens you used to check and document this?
post #740 of 1225 Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

And supposedly Fully Backlit!?
With local dimming wink.gif We will see when they come out. That's when we will know for sure...........
post #741 of 1225 Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked: 11
Hi, I´d like to ask you guys, when I turn on my LG for the first time on the day, or in a cold start, I can see a line with the tv screensaver or a dark grey picture, exactly in the middle of the tv, once it get warmer in about 20 mins or more, the line go away, your LG´s shows this?, One time the middle of the tv started to flicker then stopped, this never happened again, do you think I should get a replacement?, I don´t know if it could be a faulty chip that will fail within a year or less.mad.gif

post #742 of 1225 Old 07-15-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeslu View Post

Hi, I´d like to ask you guys, when I turn on my LG for the first time on the day, or in a cold start, I can see a line with the tv screensaver or a dark grey picture, exactly in the middle of the tv, once it get warmer in about 20 mins or more, the line go away, your LG´s shows this?, One time the middle of the tv started to flicker then stopped, this never happened again, do you think I should get a replacement?, I don´t know if it could be a faulty chip that will fail within a year or less.mad.gif

I haven't noticed any odd line in the screen when the screen saver shows up. You may want to contact LG about this and see what their service techs tell you.
post #743 of 1225 Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

84LM9600 in Canada - no price reductions in the current forecast. Also, LG Canada will have nothing to do with the new LA9700 series of TVs - just the EM9700, and it's not 4K!
post #744 of 1225 Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #745 of 1225 Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
LG 55 and 65" UHD

For anyone in the Chicago land area, Abt has an unveiling on Thursday (7/18). I plan on being there. One thing I noticed in the announcement is that the price went up by 999.00, so the 65" is now 9,000 and the 55" is 7,000. That's a "suggested" price and I hope there was a mistake made but maybe they finally got their nano technology right and are charging accordingly. I hope an LG technician is there to answer questions.

You Are Invited To An Exclusive
LG Electronics Event at Abt

Thursday, July 18th | 6pm - 8pm
The Atrium at Abt
1200 N Milwaukee Ave, Glenview

Experience the evolution of High Definition. With a resolution four times the pixel count of Full HD, every show, movie, game and sport looks clearer, richer and livelier than ever imagined. And, with LG's Tru-Ultra HD Engine you can upscale any content to near Ultra HD so you can get that richer experience today.

Attendees will be eligible to win a $500, $250 or $100
Abt gift card towards any LG product and receive LG gear*.

Drinks and hors d'eourves will be served.
Space is limited. RSVP today.

Link to 55 - 84" sets with raised prices: http://www.lg.com/us/ultrahdtv/index.jsp
post #746 of 1225 Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Time to import again !

Christmas 2014 - 4K will now be Standardized, prices may/or may not be affordable, and my wife gives in!
post #747 of 1225 Old 07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

LG 55 and 65" UHD

For anyone in the Chicago land area, Abt has an unveiling on Thursday (7/18). I plan on being there. One thing I noticed in the announcement is that the price went up by 999.00, so the 65" is now 9,000 and the 55" is 7,000. That's a "suggested" price and I hope there was a mistake made but maybe they finally got their nano technology right and are charging accordingly. I hope an LG technician is there to answer questions.

You Are Invited To An Exclusive
LG Electronics Event at Abt

Thursday, July 18th | 6pm - 8pm
The Atrium at Abt
1200 N Milwaukee Ave, Glenview

Experience the evolution of High Definition. With a resolution four times the pixel count of Full HD, every show, movie, game and sport looks clearer, richer and livelier than ever imagined. And, with LG's Tru-Ultra HD Engine you can upscale any content to near Ultra HD so you can get that richer experience today.

Attendees will be eligible to win a $500, $250 or $100
Abt gift card towards any LG product and receive LG gear*.

Drinks and hors d'eourves will be served.
Space is limited. RSVP today.

Link to 55 - 84" sets with raised prices: http://www.lg.com/us/ultrahdtv/index.jsp

This appears to be a newer technology than the 84". Would be considered to be LG's 2nd generation?
post #748 of 1225 Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The 84LM9600 has run it's course?
The Nano Backlighting will now be implemented?
Or will LG wait to see how the LA9700 does?
post #749 of 1225 Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Liked: 13
Hey all finally joined the forum after stalking all your comments for some time. After debating between the Sony 65 in 4k and the lg 84 in I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Big Ol LG. So my question is to current owners what are your recommendations for setup when it arrives. Settings, break in time, which blu ray player has been the best ? Forgive my broad questions I'm a bit of a newbie. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks
post #750 of 1225 Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 13
I was also reading this review) http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3901/3/lg-84lm960v--lg-84lm9600-uhd-tv-review-scaling-up-to-uhd )... of the 4k lg and they were saying that it won't upscale HD content to 4k content like the sony and sharp 4k televisions. But LG's site clearly says they have a "4 stage upscaling" . So am i missing something or are they misinformed? Is it only the 65 and 55 inch that have the quote 4 stage upscaler ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page