Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1282 Old 08-20-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
so look for settings in the menue, then click on ? then scroll to product / service info?

Ive got some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1282 Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes
post #813 of 1282 Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

Open Settings then ? then Product/Service Info and it should be there.

I found it, thanks for the help.

Ive got some stuff
post #814 of 1282 Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought my lg 84 lm 9600 two weeks ago from brandsmart. they were able to go very low with the price not quite as low as cleveland plasma though. the reason I bought from brandsmart is that they are local and are authorized lg sellers so my warranty will be honored. The other reason was That they have a great return policy and I was able to buy a 5 year full warranty from them for about $899. I must say their customer service has been excellent and I know from my issues with this set that they will honor the warranty.

Here are my impressions of the tv. The picture is outstanding especially on blu rays but it also up scales regular dvds as well very nicely. My tv has some banding but it is very little and you really have to look for it. Its really a non issue and as far as flashlighting while watching blu rays with letter boxing in the dark it is noticeable but unfortunately, that's edge lighting for you. But again the picture is so impressive I can overlook that. Here's where there is a problem though if you use any of their smooth motion clear motion etc settings or their filters, objects that move suddenly on screen have artifact surrounding them. Also close ups of faces are slightly distorted and there can be a fast forwarding effect. The solution is to turn those settings of and then the motion does not have those problems and the picture looks more film like. There is some jerkiness with slow panning scenes when these settings are off but otherwise the picture is amazing.

Here is what I Have noticed with DVDs and the problems I have had playing them on this TV. First of all and most importantly make sure you have a good blu ray player that can play movies at the proper frame rate. Alot of people want their movies played at 60 p but this tv has less motion issues while playing blu rays at 24p. With a great Blu Ray player and playing them at 24p they look absolutely stunning!!! I would reccomend the sony 790 or the oppo 103 especially. I went with the cambridge Azur 752 and the Picture quality is simply amazing and the sound is incredible but more on that later.

Now there is an audio issue with this tv as it sometimes develops audio sync problems especially on 3d movies. Here is what I have been through with this. I originally bought a yamaha 2020 aventage av reciever with all the goodies 4k pass through, 3d passthrough etc. I then went with all audioquest hdmi cables. While watching regular Blu Rays with passthrough enabled and auto sync, dvds were ok for the most part but when watching a 3d movies the audio would arrive significantly ahead of the video creating a sync issue. The auto lip sync feature would not compensate but if I adjusted the sync delay to about 198 It was perfect. I found this irritating and felt that the auto sync feature should work and thought maybe it was the yamaha. I took the yamaha back and tried a denon x4000 same problem and the denon did not sound as good as the yamaha. I then decided to upgrade to the new 2030 aventage and though it sounded great but still the same problem. Auto sync would not work and I had to manually adjust for 3d movies. Here is what I believe is going on. When watching a 3d movie there is a tremendous amount of information being passed through the hdmi. A normal tv would not have this problem but this tv takes a little extra time to upscale to 4k thus delaying the process further so the audio arrives ahead of the sound. I guess basically what I am trying to say is that this tv is still far ahead of the current technology and some things dont work on a/v recievers as they should such as features like auto sync.

Now for the good stuff netflix looks like a blu ray which is amazing and as I said above with a good blu ray player and the right frame rate all I can say is WOW!!! My setup is as follows

Yamaha 2030 A/V reciever
Martin logan slm and Martin Logan 700 sub in 7.1 configuration
Cambridge Audio azur 752 Blu ray
Audio quest cinnamon Hdmi as well as speaker wire and Evergreen analog cables to take advantage of five Wolfson dacs in Cambridge.

Just some extra info: The oppo and the cambridge do have a slightly better picture than the run of the mill Blu ray players. The other advantage is that you can choose the frame rate deep color etc. for your blu rays. The sound both players produce through analog is also pretty impressive if you are into music.
post #815 of 1282 Old 08-28-2013, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations malfador2002!

Nice write up.

I also noticed issues, like you described, with TruMotion enabled; so I turned it off.

The flashlighting is not bad when I am sitting straight on facing the TV. I'm thinking about adding bias lighting which might help.

I've kind of gotten use to the banding, lol. The picture is simply amazing; especially with high quality sources.
post #816 of 1282 Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfador2002 View Post

Bought my lg 84 lm 9600 two weeks ago from brandsmart. they were able to go very low with the price not quite as low as cleveland plasma though. the reason I bought from brandsmart is that they are local and are authorized lg sellers so my warranty will be honored. The other reason was That they have a great return policy and I was able to buy a 5 year full warranty from them for about $899. I must say thier customer service has been excellent and I know from my issues with this set that they will honor the warranty.
Glad to here you joined the club. Just a couple notes so you know: Full "in home" warranty applies over here as well. It sounds as if you think Brandsmart has something to do with the warranty, they actually do not during the first year. All Extended warranty companies are regulated by our government now and extended warranties are backed by 2 businesses. The extended warranty company and a insurance company.

--- Biggest thing, this industry changes in a flash and so do prices, the price just went down $1000 today wink.gif Back end rebate is in effect again.
post #817 of 1282 Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
is this tv gonna get the hdmi 2.0 update im ordering one tomorrow
post #818 of 1282 Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
PMA

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I may be bending the rules but as this TV has fallen in pricing to below $10k, how much might this fall over the next 6 months? Also, since this has Full Array Local Dimming, is there another TV that competes with it? Since all the 4k offerings some to jump from 65" to 80"+ with no in between, I believe I will go for something in this size range. I currently have 55" and don't want to "settle" for 65".

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul
post #819 of 1282 Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
y2j

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

I may be bending the rules but as this TV has fallen in pricing to below $10k, how much might this fall over the next 6 months? Also, since this has Full Array Local Dimming, is there another TV that competes with it? Since all the 4k offerings some to jump from 65" to 80"+ with no in between, I believe I will go for something in this size range. I currently have 55" and don't want to "settle" for 65".

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul

I don't think anyone can predict how much this tv will drop in the next 6 months as it relates to supply and demand. The fact is this is the best value for a large screen 4ktv on the market today. So unless Sony drops their price 50% which will never happen, I doubt this tv will drop in price much unless LG comes out with a new model that is fully backlit like their smaller 4k models are. This tv is edge lit by the way.

post #820 of 1282 Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
y2j

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballermike99 View Post

is this tv gonna get the hdmi 2.0 update im ordering one tomorrow

There has been no official word from LG about any upgrade which means chances are slim to none.

post #821 of 1282 Old 09-05-2013, 04:43 PM
PMA

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j View Post

I don't think anyone can predict how much this tv will drop in the next 6 months as it relates to supply and demand. The fact is this is the best value for a large screen 4ktv on the market today. So unless Sony drops their price 50% which will never happen, I doubt this tv will drop in price much unless LG comes out with a new model that is fully backlit like their smaller 4k models are. This tv is edge lit by the way.

I had thought that all the models are FALD. Why would they do that in the smaller TV's and not the flagship model?
post #822 of 1282 Old 09-07-2013, 12:44 AM
y2j

I found this interesting news posted below from Sony.
I wonder if LG can upgrade our tvs to HDMI 2.0 via a firmware update as well?
Or did Sony plan for this ahead of time and include future proof technology in their tvs?
Sony to Support HDMI 2.0 Industry Standard

Sony is prepared to support the HDMI 2.0 specification on its line-up of 4K Ultra HD televisions with an easy firmware update to be available over the Internet by the end of this year.

Just released by the HDMI Forum, the HDMI 2.0 industry standard offers a significant increase in bandwidth, providing features such as life-like video resolution, making it ideal for fast-moving 4K Ultra HD 60p content such as sports.

post #823 of 1282 Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM

just ordered one of these badboys from chris ill be doing a full video game analysis on this set with my ps3,pc, and my nvidia shield which can play 4k videos flawlessly!!!!!
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #824 of 1282 Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Maybe you should have waited check this out its gorgeous buy great purchase none the less

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/06/lg-77-inch-curved-uhd-oled/

the site above has many pics

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1378537558

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #825 of 1282 Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

Maybe you should have waited check this out its gorgeous buy great purchase none the less

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/06/lg-77-inch-curved-uhd-oled/

the site above has many pics

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1378537558

Very nice prototype. Will be a long time before you actually seem them in the store, if ever.
post #826 of 1282 Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Very nice prototype. Will be a long time before you actually seem them in the store, if ever.

Congrats on your purchase i would buy it as well if i had the money and then buy the 77inch once it came out :-)

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #827 of 1282 Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Anyone in Southern California had their set calibrated? There are too many adjustments for me to believe that I'm maximizing the quality of the picture.
post #828 of 1282 Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM

hey guys i talked to lg about a possible hdmi board swap to hdmi 2.0 this was there response to me

Hi Michael,

Thank you for being so patient. Here is the information from the factory concerning the upgrade/update to 2.0.

I did some research myself and found that Sony plans to support HDMI 2.0 just by a simple firmware update, while Samsung plans to change HW (board) for customers who have purchased 4K TVs.

LG will support HDMI 2.0 on next year TVs, but for this year TVs, they will let me know their plan.

I am still waiting on the tracking number for the remote for you. Once I get that, I will send that as well. J
Thank you,
Candice Lloyd
Special Projects [SSM Administrator] | Executive Services | CS
LG Electronics Alabama, Inc.
P.O. Box 240007 |Huntsville, AL 35813
Ph: 256.542.2765| Fax 256.542.5811 | candice.lloyd@lge.com

atleast there looking into the possible update to hdmi 2.0
post #829 of 1282 Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123483-lg-77-inch-4k-ultra-hd-oled-tv-pictures-and-eyes-on-stunning

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #830 of 1282 Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

From LG's website can anyone elaborate how ca this be our perfect tv

Does OLED experience "burn-in" when an image is left on the screen too long?

OLED is susceptible to burn-in. If a static image remains on the screen repeatedly or often or for a long uninterrupted stretch of time, you run the risk of degrading the phosphors from overuse in certain portions of the screen. This will leave an after-image or "ghost" on the screen. This burn-in is permanent and cannot be fixed. You can however minimize the chance of burn-in by avoiding those TV broadcasts and videogames with constant logos or text displayed. Also, if you tend to pause Blu-rays when watching, see if your player offers a screensaver mode.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/oled/whats-oledtv.jsp?s_kwcid=TC|13078|lg%20%2Boled||S|b|30049930907&gclid=CO6l6LaWx7kCFUJlMgodMQYAxw

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #831 of 1282 Old 09-14-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Need some help.

Using a custom HTPC with Intel HD 4600 graphics which should support 4k resolutions. However, I need to enter some information into the CustomModeApp.exe program to enable it.

I need:

Horizontal Resolution: I have entered 4096 and 3840 - tried both
Vertical Resolution: I have entered 2160
Refresh: I have used both 24p and 30i (which are supported over HDMI 1.4?)
Timing Standard: This one has me baffled as I could find no reference anywhere regarding this on this set. The default is GMT - I have left this alone.

I am not able to get 4k output - can anyone assist?

Thanks

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #832 of 1282 Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 PM

Liked: 16
Just bought one today for $12,000 with a $2,000 gift card from an Authorised retailer. To be delivered tomorrow. Excited?! I do not know. Selling point for me is that it will push content well from a HTPC.
post #833 of 1282 Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimginsm View Post

Anyone in Southern California had their set calibrated? There are too many adjustments for me to believe that I'm maximizing the quality of the picture.
Calibrators.....

http://www.thxvideotech.com/forum/showthread.php?542-THX-Certified-Video-Calibrator

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058269

Keep in mind most calibrators will travel to some degree. For Example Chad B is located in Ohio and services east of the Mississippi. He often goes more west into TX and MO also..........
post #834 of 1282 Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM

hey guys i got my lm 849600 today and i have to say the picture quality is absolutely jaw dropping ill have pictures and more on the set later. thanks chris
for making it happen.
post #835 of 1282 Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM

What's the best settings for my set?
post #836 of 1282 Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can say it took me a bit of tweaking on my graphics card setup to get smooth UltraHD output from my computer. I'm using an nVidia Titan card, which is far more capable than this set is able to display, but still looked bad after quite a few attempts. I have downloaded quite a few ultrahd clips from YouTube, purchased TimeScapes, etc. They were all quite choppy (vs video games which were quite smooth at 30fps). The trick I found was to make sure to use 24Hz vs 30 Hz at 3840x2160. Had to add this as a custom resolution with the nVidia control panel. not sure how intel's interface is tweaked, but hopefully some flexibility in settings (btw surprised, but nice to see that their new integrated graphics chip supports UltraHD and 4k).

AV stuff here
post #837 of 1282 Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post

I can say it took me a bit of tweaking on my graphics card setup to get smooth UltraHD output from my computer. I'm using an nVidia Titan card, which is far more capable than this set is able to display, but still looked bad after quite a few attempts. I have downloaded quite a few ultrahd clips from YouTube, purchased TimeScapes, etc. They were all quite choppy (vs video games which were quite smooth at 30fps). The trick I found was to make sure to use 24Hz vs 30 Hz at 3840x2160. Had to add this as a custom resolution with the nVidia control panel. not sure how intel's interface is tweaked, but hopefully some flexibility in settings (btw surprised, but nice to see that their new integrated graphics chip supports UltraHD and 4k).

I got this to work but do not get what you mean in "use 24Hz vs 30 Hz". I have the same TV setup at 30Hz, the resolution is quite pointless really.
post #838 of 1282 Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Under the resolution settings for nVidia, I could choose to create custom resolutions and pick any refresh rate. Knowing the TV can display at 30hz or 24hz (or 30fps / 24fps) natively at Ultra HD resolution, I ended up experimenting with both, and I found it was imperative to change the refresh rate of the TV (30 vs 24) to the content being played in order to have smooth video. Otherwise, the playback was horribly choppy and unwatchable. Get it matched and video playback looks smooth.

If your question is can you use it as a computer monitor sitting up close? no, definitely not, will give you a headache, doesn't look great. at 1080p (with some over/underscan tweaking to fit the computer output perfectly with the frame), it's very usable from sitting distance. However the UltraHD video does look very nice and resolution and quality is well beyond the best BluRays (assuming you have a relatively less compressed "4k" source - heavily compressed 4k doesn't look great).

Hope that helps.

AV stuff here
post #839 of 1282 Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 AM

Hello folks,
I have a 63" Samsing plasma ( about 4 years old) in my great room. PQ is good but my seating distance is about 18.5 feet so want to upgrade to a bigger tv and was considering the 80 Sharp 857 for 4K or the LG 84 inch for 10 plus K online

I read this thread and since I am about 18 feet away , does the 4k TV show its PQ superiorty fom that distance over the sharp 80?. Anybpdy here have any feedback on sharp 857 who also checked out the LG 84?

My current HT setup is a 4 year old pionner elite rcvr hooked to KEFfront towers and suttround so i am at hdm1.3. My viewing is going to be blu ray, some dvds, and FIOS HD ( tv shows) . No 3d As i am not a fan of 3d movies

What would you suggest in my current setup and seating distance?

Thanks
post #840 of 1282 Old 09-21-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Sharp LC-80LE857U is a great set for the price, however it is not 4K. I would guess at 18.5 FT that you might not fully enjoy 4K technology. ( Especially if one does not see 20/20 ) You would need to be in the 12FT or closer range to fully enjoy it 100%.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page