post #901 of 1225 Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

I am more worried that the 84" size may disappear as the companies are pushing 55" and 65" 4K sets.
Won't be long and all LED's will be 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1225 Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is the glass a gloss type or is it a semi matte type like not he sharps?
post #903 of 1225 Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

Is the glass a gloss type or is it a semi matte type like not he sharps?

What is 'not he sharps'?
post #904 of 1225 Old 11-08-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

What is 'not he sharps'?

He made a typo. I believe the sentence should read: "Is the glass a gloss type or is it a semi matte type like on the Sharp?"
post #905 of 1225 Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This tv owns, especially under the new OS from Apple, it's just plug and play now.
post #906 of 1225 Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

post #907 of 1225 Old 11-14-2013, 12:31 AM

Liked: 10

Dear All,

thank you for this amazing thread.

Been looking at the screen since it has first been presented.

Have a few newbe questions:

1) There is one Ex-Demo for sales at a local store at a price lowered by €3000 (about $4000) less the best online price in the country. On top of the discount they also throw-in stand and home installation, no interest 2 yr financing.

The screen has been mounted in the store december last year for the opening and been on 10-20 every day since, always displaying LG 4K demo videos (non still image impression risk)

Do you believe given the overall lite expectancy of the screen it is a good deal, or should I stay away?

2) I've not seen a mention or comments of the new version of the screen:

the 84LA9800

currently on sales in Asia,
with added 265 decoding but yet no HDMI 2.0
Would arrive to the west or we would skip a generation? The LA9800 compared to the 9600 suggest prices would be going which direction?

Best to all!

Chris
post #908 of 1225 Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My set has 2549 hours of use on it with no problems.
post #909 of 1225 Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't go bad with a price like that.
post #910 of 1225 Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Liked: 12
Hi All, Just got my LG 84LM9600 in & very happy with it. and found this discussion thread.
I have one problem though and that is with blu ray 3d, the lips are out of sync with the picture. I run the HDMI from my Cambridge Audio Azure 751 BD player and another (it has 2 HDMI outs) to my Marantz SR 8001 Receiver. I have even tried an analogue cable from the analogue out on the BD player to the receiver
and still lips are out of Sync. It would seem that this is an issue with the LG TV itself although the sound from the TV is NOT out of sync, its only when I want to use my home theater sound system, As every one else would, that this problem is there
Does anyone know how to fix this as it is unacceptable as it is.
I purchased it from Harvey Norman and I live in Australia. I have spoken with them and am not really getting anywhere as they say the TV is working properly.

Hope this can be resolved as I love the TV.
post #911 of 1225 Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

Liked: 11
Others have complained of this problem without a definite permanent resolution. Read this entire thread and maybe even the one for the 84" Sony as well. I forget if the Sony set was having this problem also.

Evidently the problem can be overcome by adjusting delay settings for audio out or "lip sync" in your A/V equipment which is the caveman approach to me but it will work on a case by case basis i guess but is a deal breaker for me.

That this problem evidently doesn't occur when sending 3D 1080P content to all other TVs would lead me to insist that it is an inherent defect with the capability of this particular set to appropriately handle what is a common input signal that has been around for some time. (I don't have a 3D set so I'm speaking a little beyond my experience but I assume other sets sync 1080P 3D properly through A/V systems. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

The new HDMI 2.0 spec makes reference to some enhanced syncing capabilities but the fact remains that it appears that this set cannot appropriately handle present day input signals which are not even 4K.

That said, were it not for the lack of an HDMI 2.0 upgrade path and the continuing reports of these syncing issues, I would have one of these today!
I could almost overlook the HDMI 2.0 because I mostly watch movies and it seems from my reading that apart from an improvement in color, (which I'm not sure the casual viewer would notice anyway) movies would be unaffected by the increased bandwidth capability of the 2.0 and it may be quite a while for network TV to broadcast in 4K (and even then I assume I could down convert) and I am not a gamer.

But these syncing issues scare me a bit. I insist all my devices play nicely together and in this day and age for these kind of glaring incompatibilities to occur would seem unacceptable.

'CMON LG! Iron this stuff out. I've got a pocket full of $$$ just waiting to buy the 84" form factor which is PERFECT for most suburban HT's.

Please somebody else add your $.02.
post #912 of 1225 Old 11-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Yes we had to delay the audio with the receiver delay settings. The problem may be to the extra time it takes to upgrade the video to 4K but I assume the new 4K sets do not have this problem. But once you have made the adjustment for each input (device) the video stays in sync.
post #913 of 1225 Old 11-16-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaiduk View Post

Others have complained of this problem without a definite permanent resolution. Read this entire thread and maybe even the one for the 84" Sony as well. I forget if the Sony set was having this problem also.

Evidently the problem can be overcome by adjusting delay settings for audio out or "lip sync" in your A/V equipment which is the caveman approach to me but it will work on a case by case basis i guess but is a deal breaker for me.

That this problem evidently doesn't occur when sending 3D 1080P content to all other TVs would lead me to insist that it is an inherent defect with the capability of this particular set to appropriately handle what is a common input signal that has been around for some time. (I don't have a 3D set so I'm speaking a little beyond my experience but I assume other sets sync 1080P 3D properly through A/V systems. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

The new HDMI 2.0 spec makes reference to some enhanced syncing capabilities but the fact remains that it appears that this set cannot appropriately handle present day input signals which are not even 4K.

That said, were it not for the lack of an HDMI 2.0 upgrade path and the continuing reports of these syncing issues, I would have one of these today!
I could almost overlook the HDMI 2.0 because I mostly watch movies and it seems from my reading that apart from an improvement in color, (which I'm not sure the casual viewer would notice anyway) movies would be unaffected by the increased bandwidth capability of the 2.0 and it may be quite a while for network TV to broadcast in 4K (and even then I assume I could down convert) and I am not a gamer.

But these syncing issues scare me a bit. I insist all my devices play nicely together and in this day and age for these kind of glaring incompatibilities to occur would seem unacceptable.

'CMON LG! Iron this stuff out. I've got a pocket full of $$$ just waiting to buy the 84" form factor which is PERFECT for most suburban HT's.

Please somebody else add your $.02.

Decided to contact LG today with the lip sync issue and started with the technical dept, then got passed to a more technical guy & then passed to to special tech guy & still no solution. As I explained to them, I have a 60 inch Sony 3D tv with no problems, a Sony 3D projector with no problems so its your LG that seems to be causing the problem.
It was suggested that the 3D LG Blu Ray player is needed to resolve the problem which I said "You cant be serious" & then he went on to say that its being caused by the fact that the glasses are Passive which is causing the delay of the picture, OR even maybe the upscaling to 4k. So I responded "Then it a problem for LG to solve as not every one wants or can afford to go & buy a new
A/V Receiver etc etc. He did suggest turning off the 4k up scaling but could not tell me how to do it, not that that be be acceptable to me. So it was left that on Monday this problem is being escalated to the Super wizz tech guy.

Could someone tell me how you see & get into the EXPERT settings,,, they don't seem to be there on my Australian one?
post #914 of 1225 Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 AM

Sounds like you got farther than anyone else with this issue even though it sounds like a runaround. You got a foot in the door so stay on them. While you've got their ear and after they address your sync issue you might inquire as to whether there is any plan or option for an HDMI 2.0 upgrade as well.
The fact remains that their chip set can't appropriately handle a common input signal.
Good job and good luck.
We'll all be checking this thread next week.
post #915 of 1225 Old 11-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Under settings click on picture mode and then you can see the various modes then click on expert#1 and you can adjust it.
post #916 of 1225 Old 11-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Hey Nsx1992,
Sounds like you've had your set since the first came out.
Any other insights or opinions you'd like to share with the rest of us hopefuls?
post #917 of 1225 Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Also NSX1992,
From your post it sounds like each device you run through your AV receiver has its own unique sync delay. Is this true?
I was under the impression that the issue was limited to 3D on Blu-Ray.
and:
Was it by trial and error that you arrived at your optimum delay settings?
I would think that if you were a few milliseconds off that by the end of a 2 hour blu-ray the offset would accumulate and become noticeable again or am I mistaken in my logic?
Also:
Evidently your a/v unit allows you to set a different delay for each input?
What kind is it?
I have a pretty new Pioneer Elite and I can't find anywhere that I can adjust the timing of the audio at all for any inputs.
post #918 of 1225 Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaiduk View Post

Also NSX1992,
From your post it sounds like each device you run through your AV receiver has its own unique sync delay. Is this true?
I was under the impression that the issue was limited to 3D on Blu-Ray.
and:
Was it by trial and error that you arrived at your optimum delay settings?
I would think that if you were a few milliseconds off that by the end of a 2 hour blu-ray the offset would accumulate and become noticeable again or am I mistaken in my logic?
Also:
Evidently your a/v unit allows you to set a different delay for each input?
What kind is it?
I have a pretty new Pioneer Elite and I can't find anywhere that I can adjust the timing of the audio at all for any inputs.

Precisely, I have a Marantz SR 8001 and whilst I have an entry for one simple adjustment (on or off) for HDMI Sync it does not solve the problem,,,Only on 3D is the sound ahead of the picture., but ONLY on this TV. It would be incomprehensible to think that LG did not know or see this would happen,,, and
a simple solution would have been a special HDMI out from the TV for the AUDIO into the A/V Receiver / amp for the 3D.
I am hoping LG will help with solving this issue otherwise it will cost me ANOTHER $1000 to get a A/V Receiver that MAY solve the problem. You would expect Preferential treatment after spending $14000 on a TV so maybe they will pay for another Receiver.
I will keep this forum informed.
I will also mention the banding which at first I did not really notice, but, when you do it is a little troublesome at times, and of course, once seen you are always looking for it.
post #919 of 1225 Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

Under settings click on picture mode and then you can see the various modes then click on expert#1 and you can adjust it.

Ahhhh yes ,thank you , I can now try for a better picture & in doing so mitigate the banding a bit,,, Anyone know which is the best controls for doing that.
post #920 of 1225 Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Set the system to Game Mode to eliminate the delay. This takes out the extra processing used by the set. You will still get 4k up scaling and it still looks good. However, the set tries to minimize input lag in this mode.

However, I have found that occasionally it gets the 3D cadence wrong in this mode. If this happens, just stop and restart the 3D and it should correct it.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #921 of 1225 Old 11-17-2013, 09:54 AM

I bought an Integra DTR-30.2 because my previous one did not pass 3D through and now this one does not pass 4K through (if that becomes necessary some day). The newer models do pass 4K though. In my case you go to the setup menu then source setup then A/V Sync. You can adjust the audio delay up to 200 ms for each device. I use 200 for PC and PS3 (Blu-ray) and 50 for cable (TV). The delay is not accumulative over a 2 hour movie.

I had Best Buy Greek Guys do the Expert#1 calibration for free but I prefer my previous standard setting that I copied from one of the ones on this thread.

My other big screen 92" Mitsubishi DLP now is in the bedroom. This LG with passive upscaled 4K 3D is far superior to the other one and I enjoy 3D even more.
post #922 of 1225 Old 11-17-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Set the system to Game Mode to eliminate the delay. This takes out the extra processing used by the set. You will still get 4k up scaling and it still looks good. However, the set tries to minimize input lag in this mode.

However, I have found that occasionally it gets the 3D cadence wrong in this mode. If this happens, just stop and restart the 3D and it should correct it.

I was hoping,,, but no,,, it does not stop the lip sync issue with the sound going to my A/V Receiver. I don't have any sync issues with the TV sound.
post #923 of 1225 Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post

Precisely, I have a Marantz SR 8001 and whilst I have an entry for one simple adjustment (on or off) for HDMI Sync it does not solve the problem,,,Only on 3D is the sound ahead of the picture., but ONLY on this TV. It would be incomprehensible to think that LG did not know or see this would happen,,, and
a simple solution would have been a special HDMI out from the TV for the AUDIO into the A/V Receiver / amp for the 3D.
I am hoping LG will help with solving this issue otherwise it will cost me ANOTHER $1000 to get a A/V Receiver that MAY solve the problem. You would expect Preferential treatment after spending $14000 on a TV so maybe they will pay for another Receiver.
I will keep this forum informed.
I will also mention the banding which at first I did not really notice, but, when you do it is a little troublesome at times, and of course, once seen you are always looking for it.

I got a phone call from LG today requesting that I give them full details of how I am connecting up the TV as follows:-

Hi Ali,
With Reference to the LG 84inch 4K TV.

I have used 2 Blu Ray Players with the same results & they are the Cambridge Audio Azure 751 & the Panasonic DMR BWT800.
I connect the BD Player to the TV via HDMI & from A second output on the BD player I plug that into a Marantz SR 8001 Receiver and only on 3D I get a lip sync issue with the audio before the video.
I also connect the BD Player to the TV via HDMI & from A second output on the BD player I plug that into a Theta Casablanca CB3HD ($25000) possessor and only on 3D I get a lip sync issue with the audio before the video.

In both cases above I have also tried the Analogue out on the BD players (red & white rca) into the analogue in of the Receiver & possessor & still same lip sync issue. I did this so as to eliminate any possible question regarding the HDMI cable.

I also have a Sony 60inch 3D TV & a Sony 3D projector & niether of these have any problems what so ever with lip sync.

I purchased the TV from Harvey Norman Cannington & it was installed on 11th November & the salesman there at no time informed me of any problems at all, and especially related to lip sync problems I may experience.

Regards

John Watt

I also contacted Harvey Norman Cannington again today and am waiting for the owner to contact me to see he can do to resolve this situation.

I will not go quietly
post #924 of 1225 Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Are the 84 LG'S 8 bit panels?
post #925 of 1225 Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM

Does anybody get video from USB or External hard drive. When I try to connect USB, TV doesn't see it. Any ideas?
post #926 of 1225 Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 PM

I stream video to my tv using HDMI from an Apple TV from a hard drive connected to a computer on my home network. I wouldn't ask my tv to try to accomplish that seamlessly but it works great. I don't have this LG yet (looking hard) but I don't know of any TV that can access a hard drive or media directly off of USB. Does the manual say you can do that in plain English?
post #927 of 1225 Old 11-21-2013, 05:40 PM

Manual show's this (page 25)

Connect a USB storage device such as a USB flash memory, external hard drive, or a USB memory card reader to the TV and access the Smart Share menu to use various multimedia files.

I conected USB (128 GB) and TV doesn't "see" it. Will try external HHD soon.

post #928 of 1225 Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 AM

Please let us know if it works
post #929 of 1225 Old 11-23-2013, 11:25 AM

Connected Hard Drive and TV recognized it.

New problem: no support for .mov format. Searching for good video file converter (4K). Also downloaded 4K video's from YouTube and again TV doesn't support it (.mp4)

Does anybody know real 4K file converter? What file formats does TV support?
post #930 of 1225 Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM

Hi all, Great forum this is and we are so lucky having this great TV.

I have a question regarding Firmware versions on our TVs.
I read earlier of some one updating their firmware ver to 05-01-36. I have just checked mine & updated to the latest ver 04-31-01.

This is weird but I am in Australia, maybe that's why. Could others check theirs just to see.

When i bought mine from Harvey Norman I ensured they included a full 5 year replacement warranty in the price.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page