Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1225 Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2121 View Post

My Onkyo fixes the lipsync issue nicely. But I am fed up with LG. I've put in a complaint with the ACCC and they have accepted my claim and will start an investigation. I've also notified my solicitor and gotten his firm involved. Hopefully I get my full refund. You should do the same I reckon. 

Please let me know if there is any way I can link up with you regarding the ACCC. Solicitors worry me as they tend to charge highly for there work. How much did you pay for your tv,, I paid $14000 including a full replacement 5 year warranty.
Maybe a joint complaint would be more effective ?

Do you have any issues with the Banding which on mine is noticeable and definitely irritating when light pictures - sky etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1225 Old 12-21-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My NVIDIA 640 reports at 3840x2160 the screen able to handle only 23Hz, 25Hz and 29Hz refresh rates. Is this LG screen or NVIDIA limitation? I wanted to play movies at 24Hz and let the video card to deal with upscaling because lisping issues at 1080 are quite unpredictable.
post #993 of 1225 Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My Nvidia control panel has the same limitation and I use the Titan video card. I only use 3840x2160 when attempting to watch a 4K video. My A/V receiver solves the audio sync problem.
post #994 of 1225 Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post

Please let me know if there is any way I can link up with you regarding the ACCC. Solicitors worry me as they tend to charge highly for there work. How much did you pay for your tv,, I paid $14000 including a full replacement 5 year warranty.

Do you have any issues with the Banding which on mine is noticeable and definitely irritating when light pictures - sky etc etc.

Just go to the website and lodge a complaint through there. Happy to lodge a complaint together. E-mail me baz2121@yahoo.com.au

http://consumer.vic.gov.au/

post #995 of 1225 Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 PM

This thread has been so useful, thanks to all the posters.

Been wanting to buy since late November, but hard to find. Many favorable reviews in this thread, but also some solid critics. Current price is is a bargain compared to people who bought it a few months ago.

My question/concern is should I wait for CES announcements, or go ahead and get this TV. I don't mind waiting, but I would assume new TV models would be more expensive and not available until spring.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #996 of 1225 Old 12-28-2013, 01:30 AM

I'd honestly wait until CES 2014 comes and goes. All the rumours are that OLED and the 105" UHD screens are going to possibly set lower pricing benchmarks for the newer 65-85" sets. LG has all but confirmed a new 84" model that fixes all the misgivings of the LM9600 - called the LA9700? or 9800? Who knows. I'm going to take my case to the Consumer Commission and try and get my money back. Once that happens, I'm def waiting untill after CES before even considering another UHD set. 

post #997 of 1225 Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Just go to the website and lodge a complaint through there. Happy to lodge a complaint together. E-mail me baz2121@yahoo.com.au

http://consumer.vic.gov.au/

I would have to lodge my complaint with the WA consumer affairs.

Perhaps we could use each others complaint as strength both to the Victoria & western Australia so how did you word your complaint so as mine can be on the same wavelength.
post #998 of 1225 Old 12-29-2013, 04:41 AM

cool dude, when i have a complaint number, ill e-mail it to you, and u can add that to ur complaint....similarly when u get one, email me. 

post #999 of 1225 Old 01-02-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
All I am saying is, we better get the new GUI upgrade: http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/02/lg-webos-smart-tv-leak/
post #1000 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 AM

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/new-lg-oled-tvs/

Oled 77
post #1001 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM

I won't go down from an 84" to a 77", It was hard enough going down from my 92" Mitsubishi (now in bedroom) to 84" but 4K made the deal.
post #1002 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:

There is one issue here that I want to point out, warranty laws are different in every country. I am not talking about right or wrong here, but manufacturers of any product can get away with different things in different countries. From what I have seem most companies in the US are very responsive about issues, except for one company, LG is not that company I am talking about..........
post #1003 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like the 84" 4K replacement of the 84LM9600 will be at CES. (http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/04/lg-ultra-hd-ces-2014-65-98-inch/)

I have confirmed with LG that there will be no upgrade path for the existing sets. Improvements should include

HDMI 2.0
HDCP 2.2
x.265 Codec Support
Improved backlighting
Improved Upscaling (especially from SD sources)
Improved Processing Speed (should fix 3D lip-sync issues)

In other words, there is a lot more to this set than a simple HDMI swap would allow anyway.

More next week I am sure.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #1004 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:

I'd honestly wait until CES 2014 comes and goes. All the rumours are that OLED and the 105" UHD screens are going to possibly set lower pricing benchmarks for the newer 65-85" sets. LG has all but confirmed a new 84" model that fixes all the misgivings of the LM9600 - called the LA9700? or 9800? Who knows. I'm going to take my case to the Consumer Commission and try and get my money back. Once that happens, I'm def waiting untill after CES before even considering another UHD set. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Looks like the 84" 4K replacement of the 84LM9600 will be at CES. (http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/04/lg-ultra-hd-ces-2014-65-98-inch/)

I have confirmed with LG that there will be no upgrade path for the existing sets. Improvements should include

HDMI 2.0
HDCP 2.2
x.265 Codec Support
Improved backlighting
Improved Upscaling (especially from SD sources)
Improved Processing Speed (should fix 3D lip-sync issues)

In other words, there is a lot more to this set than a simple HDMI swap would allow anyway.

More next week I am sure.

Seem like we miss out on a whole lot of stuff despite paying a very high price & it being the flagship model,
I am going to revisit my original lip sync problem on LG because going by the above there is a fix.
post #1005 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM

I KNEW I!T!!!!!

This is sooo upsetting :(

Have to see how I go with maybe just selling the set instead of a drawn out battle with LG. 

Roughly how long after CES do LG release them for public sale? For example how long after CES 2012 were the TVs available to buy? 

Thanks for your help mate :)

post #1006 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Sets should be available in February.

That is when I first bought the LM849600. Hoping to replace it sooner than later. Going to see what everyone else has. My guess though is MSRP around $15,000 and selling at $12,000 or below. We will know soon.

post #1007 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:

I KNEW I!T!!!!!

This is sooo upsetting frown.gif

Have to see how I go with maybe just selling the set instead of a drawn out battle with LG. 

Roughly how long after CES do LG release them for public sale? For example how long after CES 2012 were the TVs available to buy? 

Thanks for your help mate smile.gif

Just sent this by email to LG Australia,, Suggest you do the same.

On the 16th November I telephoned customer support regarding a serious lip sync issue when watching 3D. After many discussions with Tech support I was informed that whilst is was a problem caused by the TV there was nothing LG could could do to fix it.
I have also noticed severe banding on this TV which seriously detracts from my enjoyment.
Also because this TV ONLY accepts HDMI 1.4 it has serious limitations with the statement that this TV is a 4K ready when it fact it is not.
I now learn that LG are replacing this model with an updated version that will correct all these failings above.
I request that you please contact me to confirm that in due course you will be carrying out the necessary repairs so that I may enjoy your flagship TV that cost me $14000.
post #1008 of 1225 Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Just sent this by email to LG Australia,, Suggest you do the same.

On the 16th November I telephoned customer support regarding a serious lip sync issue when watching 3D. After many discussions with Tech support I was informed that whilst is was a problem caused by the TV there was nothing LG could could do to fix it.
I have also noticed severe banding on this TV which seriously detracts from my enjoyment.
Also because this TV ONLY accepts HDMI 1.4 it has serious limitations with the statement that this TV is a 4K ready when it fact it is not.
I now learn that LG are replacing this model with an updated version that will correct all these failings above.
I request that you please contact me to confirm that in due course you will be carrying out the necessary repairs so that I may enjoy your flagship TV that cost me $14000.

baz2121

We need to fight this as strongly as possible.

Believe me, the more complaints LG get both from Australia & World Wide will help our case. Lets face it, for all of us this was a very very expensive TV and you would expect the most serious concern from LG with these problems and do bear in mind that the simular size TV from Sony IS getting support in these areas so I under stand.

I will await LGs response and see what they are prepared to do.

Please jump in here everyone to help our cause.
post #1009 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't get the point of all of this.

You bought a set with a known set of features, and now there is a new one.

There was no promise of an upgrade. There was no promise of future compatibility. Hell, there is no promise with even the new ones, as there is no consumer content standard yet on the market. There could easily, and I am sure there will be HDMI 2.1!

It is like buying a car and discovering the following year they are adding Turbo-Charging and demanding a free upgrade.

Lip-Sync with 3D content WORKS FINE so long as you are using the speaker in the LG TV! This is all that LG promised you.

Now you say it doesn't work with your pre-pro! It works with some which either have ARC or a longer delay option. This is not LG's fault if it doesn't work with yours.

I returned mine due to a faulty back-light, as confirmed by an LG tech who was sent out. Now, since it was past my dealer's return period, LG bent over backwards to assist with the return in this case. It took nearly eight months from the time they first investigated until a resolution, but I can assure you that dealing with LG was the single best support experience I ever had. I am headed to CES this week to look at their new 4K TVs as I was impressed enough by their support that they are on the top of my list.

All this talk about formal complaints and suits is just silly!

post #1010 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
While we are all entitled to our own opinions, I would ask the USA-based owners to keep in mind that owners in other parts of the world may be covered by stronger consumer protection laws and thus have every right to expect manufacturers to conduct themselves accordingly.
post #1011 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Understood. Yet I fail to see how the set has failed to perform according to what you were all told by LG.

The nature of the complaint seems to be "You came out with a better one and I want it!!!"

post #1012 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Understood. Yet I fail to see how the set has failed to perform according to what you were all told by LG.

The nature of the complaint seems to be "You came out with a better one and I want it!!!"

I don't have this set, so I have no dog in this fight, but I think your point is overly strong. I would agree with you that it was well known to anyone buying this set that it did not have HDMI 2, that HDMI was coming out and would be the standard soon and that LG never once made any commitments to an upgrade path to it. Anyone expecting that, it's on them.

But it's ridiculous to suggest that because people can watch 3D content on the internal speakers without a lip sync issue that LG has delivered everything consumers should have expected. It's been the standard for high-end sets like this for many years that they are usually paired with external receivers and speakers. Of course consumers had a reasonable expectation this set should work with them without slip sync issue. That wasn't a feature limitation, that was a bug probably borne from an under-power processor and not enough QA. If I had this set, that would upset me. Not enough to sue. But it's reasonable to feel frustrated if LG is not addressing this problem.
post #1013 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I disagree.

3D Processing at 4k resolution requires A LOT more processing power. As such, either your pre-pro needs to provide enough of a delay (which is where the delay correction should be), and many do provide more than enough. Or - your pre-pro needs to support ARC as some are now beginning to do. These are both solutions which work and are available right now in the marketplace.

The issue is you can't expect to upgrade one piece (your set) and not expect that there are new requirements for the rest of your gear.

That is just the fact.

post #1014 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I don't get the point of all of this.

You bought a set with a known set of features, and now there is a new one.

There was no promise of an upgrade. There was no promise of future compatibility. Hell, there is no promise with even the new ones, as there is no consumer content standard yet on the market. There could easily, and I am sure there will be HDMI 2.1!

It is like buying a car and discovering the following year they are adding Turbo-Charging and demanding a free upgrade.

Lip-Sync with 3D content WORKS FINE so long as you are using the speaker in the LG TV! This is all that LG promised you.

Now you say it doesn't work with your pre-pro! It works with some which either have ARC or a longer delay option. This is not LG's fault if it doesn't work with yours.

I returned mine due to a faulty back-light, as confirmed by an LG tech who was sent out. Now, since it was past my dealer's return period, LG bent over backwards to assist with the return in this case. It took nearly eight months from the time they first investigated until a resolution, but I can assure you that dealing with LG was the single best support experience I ever had. I am headed to CES this week to look at their new 4K TVs as I was impressed enough by their support that they are on the top of my list.

All this talk about formal complaints and suits is just silly!

You seem to have misunderstood what I actually said & the standards expected of the manufacture ie LG & with emphasis on what the consumers rights & expectations are.
Do also bear in mind that as a consumer we not only expect the disclosure of all the good points but also the limitations - bad points. Please also remember that the price you pay does set up expectations & also limitations.

So, with paying $14000 it is one of the most expensive TVs out there and that is solely based on the fact that it is a UHD 4K TV as stated by LG. If I wanted a normal 84inch HD TV I could have bought the Sharp at about $7000, half the price.

1, There advertising & web page clearly states 4K TV for that type of material & tv broadcasts yet unknowing by me at the time & not stated anywhere is the fact that HDMI 1.4 is not sufficient to work with these formats & then there is games that just simply will not work properly at all.

2, With the lip sync issue we come back to disclosure both of advertising & at the original purchase. It is pretty obvious that anyone purchasing this TV is for use as / in a home theater environment therefor rendering the internal speakers as useless and the need to use an external AV receiver.
If ONLY they had disclosed that due to lip sync issues with the TV being used with some AV receivers I would have then had the chance to find out if my current 2 processors / receivers (Theta & Marantz) were suitable. Sadly, AFTER purchase I found they were NOT suitable because of lip sync issues on 3D & caused by the TVs very slow processing making the Audio in front of the video.
LG confirmed this and even stated that there is nothing they can do about it,,,, well, how about fixing it, especially in the light that the updated model could have a fix.

3, Serious banding - vertical lines - smears that was NOT seen in the store before purchase nor was I informed of this problem. Trouble is, it appears to be getting worse and of course, once you see it and what causes it you are always going to notice it more. Maybe i might have put up with it if it was JUST that only fault but with the other 2 items above why should I.

To finalize, I was NOT told by LG that the TV does not accept all 4K material,,, That there are lip sync issues with some AV receivers & hey, you WILL notice eventually some banding with vertical & horizontal smearing.

Try these type of issues with say a Lamborghini car ,,,, Paintwork will smear / fade within weeks of purchase,,,, top speed is later found out to be only 130km and the music system only work on AM.
post #1015 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Actually, I disagree.

3D Processing at 4k resolution requires A LOT more processing power. As such, either your pre-pro needs to provide enough of a delay (which is where the delay correction should be), and many do provide more than enough. Or - your pre-pro needs to support ARC as some are now beginning to do. These are both solutions which work and are available right now in the marketplace.

The issue is you can't expect to upgrade one piece (your set) and not expect that there are new requirements for the rest of your gear.

That is just the fact.

Read my previous above.

I had to buy the Onkyo TX 818 which DOES have ARC and does nothing to solve the lip sync issue. I can however, each time I watch a 3D, adjust the lip sync on the Onkyo, and put it back again when watching 2D programs. All this should have been done / fixed at the TV by faster video processing when dealing with 3D.

Your last line does NOT make any sense because it all come back to, in this case, LG disclosing the suitability & limitations of what there product can & cannot do, and us, the consumer knowing this before purchase so we can decide WHAT changes or suitability, if any need to be considered with this purchase and other equipment in the chain,,, that is why we have consumer laws & protection.
post #1016 of 1225 Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like carping to me.

THERE IS NO CONSUMER 4K MATERIAL AT THIS TIME.
ergo you can not complain that your set does not play it. In fact Sony goes out of their way to say that their solution IS ONLY for their sets. No one else's.

The only 4k material available to you, they do play. It will play from the Red-Ray player. It will play from a computer. It will play from the internet. All without any problem at all.

As far as the banding goes, it was clearly visible in the stores, and was discussed extensively here on-line when the first sets came out. Mine had a defective back-light, well beyond simple banding. Perhaps yours is suffering from this as well.

As for the lip-sync, well let me just disagree as there are systems out there which can and do correct it and work fine. I find no place where LG claims it works with one pre-pro or another.

I don't know the consumer laws outside of the US. But I do here in the US. You would be laughed out of court if you tried to make a claim like this here. There was nothing being withheld from you. Every review I read mentioned that the lighting was uneven on this size set, and was to be expected given the current technology.

When I had the set, there was no problem with the lip-sync to the set when running 3D. However, I am quite sure that it could be easily fixed by delaying all HDMI audio by the maximum required by the 3D decoding. I just hope your pre-pro can handle 600ms delays.

You are an early adopter! This means spending more for more problems. This has ALWAYS been the case. It ALWAYS will be.

post #1017 of 1225 Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like carping to me.

THERE IS NO CONSUMER 4K MATERIAL AT THIS TIME.
ergo you can not complain that your set does not play it. In fact Sony goes out of their way to say that their solution IS ONLY for their sets. No one else's.

The only 4k material available to you, they do play. It will play from the Red-Ray player. It will play from a computer. It will play from the internet. All without any problem at all.

As far as the banding goes, it was clearly visible in the stores, and was discussed extensively here on-line when the first sets came out. Mine had a defective back-light, well beyond simple banding. Perhaps yours is suffering from this as well.

As for the lip-sync, well let me just disagree as there are systems out there which can and do correct it and work fine. I find no place where LG claims it works with one pre-pro or another.

I don't know the consumer laws outside of the US. But I do here in the US. You would be laughed out of court if you tried to make a claim like this here. There was nothing being withheld from you. Every review I read mentioned that the lighting was uneven on this size set, and was to be expected given the current technology.

When I had the set, there was no problem with the lip-sync to the set when running 3D. However, I am quite sure that it could be easily fixed by delaying all HDMI audio by the maximum required by the 3D decoding. I just hope your pre-pro can handle 600ms delays.

You are an early adopter! This means spending more for more problems. This has ALWAYS been the case. It ALWAYS will be.

There is obviously no point in agreeing with the above as you do not read in detail what I am saying and all i can add is that I hope you get a kick back from LG.

You also assume that I read all this forum & any reviews before purchase,,, which I did not.
post #1018 of 1225 Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

You must not be from the US.

If so, I am amazed at the consumer protection laws in the rest of the world. So, let me understand. You did not do your homework, read anything about the set, check any reviews, etc. and this is somehow LG's fault???

I would think that anyone looking to spend north of $10,000 on a luxury item would at least do the basic research on the product to see if it is exactly what they were expecting, especially in an "early-adopter" market. I mean, what about all of those people who bought into CRT based HDTVs prior to HDMI and HDCP? Are they entitled to compensation or replacement because they purchased a couple of years before there was a consumer standard? Weren't they supposed to KNOW that there wasn't any standard yet and that they were taking a huge chance??

To be honest, it is people like us who allow the companies to develop an industry standard. We buy early, pay to much and complain about the things we do and don't like so that the companies can develop better, cheaper, faster product in the future. This has always been the nature of the business.

Look, if you jump into the deep-end of the pool without knowing how to swim, it is not the pool's fault!
NSX1992 likes this.

post #1019 of 1225 Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 AM

After seeing 4K in the store with demo material I knew I had to have one. So I researched and read the early reviews which pointed out the banding problem. At the time the list price for the LG was $20,000 but could be bought for $17,000 at a dealer. The Sony was $25,000 with no discounts and the 85" Samsung was $40,000 with upgrades promised (at a price). When the LG price dropped to $13,000 on the internet I bought. Now the price on the internet is below $10,000 so I could have saved more money by waiting but I have enjoyed 3089 hours of high quality video.

The slight banding has NOT gotten any worse and I don't even notice it except sometimes on a moving light background. The lipsync was solved by my AV receiver. There is no 4K material requiring HDMI 2.0. The 3D is the best. I am now playing Assasins Creed IV Black Flag in 3840x2160 on the PC. This is true 4K and it is gorgeous not like most 4K You Tube videos.

Todays LG press conference will probably introduce even bigger and better 4K sets which should encourage more 4K material and we will no longer be the first ones.
post #1020 of 1225 Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM

Fresh from CES 2014:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/06/netflix-to-stream-house-of-cards-in-4k-to-lg-smart-tvs/

This exciting. However, I can't help wondering if "LG smart TVs" include LG84LM9600? All we need is for our TVs to have:
  • a Netflix app capable of streaming in 4k.
  • HEVC (H.265)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page