Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1255 Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
Will the upgrade allow me to watch House of Cards in 4K? Any other 4K programs?

Its meant to. Do you now have the HVEC (h.265) codec, thats whats needed to view Netflix in 4K. I wonder why you lose ARC functionality. I went over to using optical out instead of ARC as having auto HDMI was causing a lot of issues, but I would have liked to have the option to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1255 Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdz View Post
v
Thanks for posting, I have the exact same problem. Did it turn out OK for you?
Well the first attempt didn't. I filed the request and got it to locating a repair service, then when they couldn't find one (I live in the boonies) it was transferred to George, who was supposed to collect my invoice and confirm I was an owner and then get it RMA'd and a replacement sent out, but George either quit, got fired (I hope) or otherwise failed to complete the request after I sent the information. So I waited and I called George and left him messages and nothing. Finally I called George and got transferred to the operator, George was no longer there and I spoke to a new lady named Ramona that said I would have to start over and I told her that the result would be the same as my location hadn't been changed....

So I sent her the information and that was a couple of weeks ago and I just got a call from the RMA folks and they no longer have the old model so they are sending out a new 84UB9800 and they will supposidly remove the old one (mounted in my bedroom on the wall) and install the new one. Luckily they are going to do that because if not I would keep both as there is no feasible way I can remove this TV by myself and I had to swindle the maintenance guys at work to mount it for me the first time!

So basically it turned out fine, it just took forever but a new model is on the way, I hope it has some improvements over this model. I would hate to get the 'new' model which is actually cheaper and made with less quality as previous versions, which has happened before.

While the error doesn't happen every time I turn the TV on it still occurs and it is extremely annoying.

Glad LG is sticking behind their TV's. Now I have to research the new model and see the differences.
post #1233 of 1255 Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness View Post
So basically it turned out fine, it just took forever but a new model is on the way, I hope it has some improvements over this model. I would hate to get the 'new' model which is actually cheaper and made with less quality as previous versions, which has happened before.

While the error doesn't happen every time I turn the TV on it still occurs and it is extremely annoying.

Glad LG is sticking behind their TV's. Now I have to research the new model and see the differences.
Thanks for the reply, glad it worked out.

I was able to resolve the "Unable to read My App List because of memory issue. Initialize to resolve issue" problem on my own, knock on wood. Clicking on Initialize did not solve the problem. However, in the Settings menu, there was a selection that said something like Initialize Premium Services. Clicking on that seems to have resolved the issue.
post #1234 of 1255 Old 09-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, glad it worked out.

I was able to resolve the "Unable to read My App List because of memory issue. Initialize to resolve issue" problem on my own, knock on wood. Clicking on Initialize did not solve the problem. However, in the Settings menu, there was a selection that said something like Initialize Premium Services. Clicking on that seems to have resolved the issue.
Interesting, I might try it, before they bring the new one. From the specs it looks like it is worth the upgrade. It supports USB 3.0, HVEC 4k Codec and has an improved panel, not that I am impacted by that, it basically is my wall so no one views the TV at an angle, just directly on. The new model also seems to have better sound, more power et cetera.

Edited to add:

Though I would be worried that the initialization of the Premium (which I just did) is an indicator of a deeper issue and would be a cause to get it replaced. If you keep having to setup your premium services (like Amazon Et cetera) because they corrupt means there is a physical issue probably in the memory on the TV.

Another interesting thing I found out with this RMA, my TV is an Australian Model. Model: 84LM9600.AUS

Last edited by metuckness; 09-10-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Interesting Info
post #1235 of 1255 Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 12
I did not know I was paying to "test" the upgrade. I am indeed in Orange County, CA

I did not ask about House of Cards 4K. The relevant info in agreement only states "Premium Content partner applications may fully or partially support after the upgrade"
post #1236 of 1255 Old 09-15-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 84LM9600 HDMI 2 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik_1 View Post
I have my upgrade scheduled for this Friday. Cost is $499 plus tax. According to the agreement I had to sign besides the 4K, 60Hz the TV is getting WebOS and losing ARC. I wonder if the upgrade will solve 3D lip sync issue...

Now I have to admit that most of my content is via HTPC and there is no HDMI 2.0 graphic card in sight...
Please post with how the upgrade went. I called 877-543-8355 and have been on hold with LG support for over an hour so far. One person briefly came on, I told him I wanted the HDMI 2 Upgrade for the 84LM9600 and he said he knew about it however he had to get a supervisor. Finally, about one hour 20 minutes into the call, I have an appointment! Apparently they have a tech near Chicago and if he can order and get the part in before Friday, I will have it installed. I am pretty excited that LG appears to be really supporting us!

Last edited by MeTV; 09-15-2014 at 06:00 PM.
post #1237 of 1255 Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTV View Post
Please post with how the upgrade went. I called 877-543-8355 and have been on hold with LG support for over an hour so far. One person briefly came on, I told him I wanted the HDMI 2 Upgrade for the 84LM9600 and he said he knew about it however he had to get a supervisor. Still waiting.....One hour 9 minutes and counting on hold so far.
There were no replacement parts Friday morning remaining in stock. Rescheduled for Thursday
MeTV likes this.
post #1238 of 1255 Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 158
So they charge $150 for labor on top of the $499 for the parts?
post #1239 of 1255 Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
So they charge $150 for labor on top of the $499 for the parts?
No the $499 is for parts and labor combined.
post #1240 of 1255 Old 09-18-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkabir View Post
That's what I thought -- but I was responding to the comment above about being offered 20% of the $150 labor charge.
post #1241 of 1255 Old 09-20-2014, 12:35 AM

my upgrade was finally installed this Thursday. It took couple of hours in total. I agreed to the cost of $499 plus tax. the final receipt was for $422. tech were surprised themselves.

a few bits I learned:

• new board replaces two PCB. one of them included framerate scaler and the interconnect was creating lag between video and audio. I was told that the single board should greatly help the audio lag but in practice I still have to delay audio by 200ms to watch 3D movies
  • no ARC is because the HDMI 2.0 chip LG used for upgrade does not have this function. Implementing it separately was considered not worthwhile endeavour given that few use this function
  • the board is similar to this year model but had to be customized for our TV
  • it has 3 HDMI inputs unlike previous 4
  • WebOS looks nice but I could not see useful added functionality. definitely the selection of apps is just as limited
  • you lose all settings. if you calibrated your set make sure to record them.
  • in Netflix House of Cards and Breaking Bad show up as UltraHD 4K. the former looks great but with the 1st season of the latter I nave doubts if it js that much better then upscaled blu-ray. I have not tried 4k youtube videos yet.
now I will have to upgrade all remaining components of my video setup to 4k
NSX1992 likes this.
post #1242 of 1255 Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
Will the upgrade allow me to watch House of Cards in 4K? Any other 4K programs?
The Upgrade (Ultra HD Upgrade Kit) successfully streams Netflix Ultra HD. Yes, you can watch House of Cards in 4K, additionally from what I could see Netflix Ultra HD includes Breaking Bad, Smurfs 2, Moving Arts Forests, Flowers, Deserts, and Oceans, and finally Ghostbusters till October 1st.
post #1243 of 1255 Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTV View Post
The Upgrade (Ultra HD Upgrade Kit) successfully streams Netflix Ultra HD. Yes, you can watch House of Cards in 4K, additionally from what I could see Netflix Ultra HD includes Breaking Bad, Smurfs 2, Moving Arts Forests, Flowers, Deserts, and Oceans, and finally Ghostbusters till October 1st.
Thanks I will call LG tomorrow and order upgrade.
post #1244 of 1255 Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkabir View Post
I can say that anyone, and I am sure there where a few people that paid $17,999. for there set, that update should be free. Street price was about half that thru out the year.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #1245 of 1255 Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I can say that anyone, and I am sure there where a few people that paid $17,999. for there set, that update should be free. Street price was about half that thru out the year.
I disagree. We knew what we were buying and should be thankful that we are offered this upgrade at all. After purchase LG does not owe us anything besides warranty repairs. I do not quite understand this post other than attributing to the entitlement attitude I find so prevalent in US.

I own top of the range Denon AVR-4520 and would gladly upgrade it to HDMI 2.0 for a fee. Alas, Denon does not have the same ethics as LG. Updating maps in my VW Touareg would cost me over a grand. I can afford it but feeling of disgust that VW wants that money for 5 min work prevents me from pulling plastic out of my wallet. But sure enough I will never buy another VW car again.

Even worse I have my personal laundry list of electronics manufacturers that made defective products that impacted me personally (ASrock, D-link, VIA, Seagate). Another list are companies that abandoned their product lines on which I heavily relied (Logitech - Squeezebox, MS - Windows Mobile, Google - Google Reader). Whenever possible I use these companies competitor solutions and advise everyone around on their choices accordingly.

Since LG by offering this upgrade demonstrated that they do not simply abandon their customers after initial purchase it is on the top of my short preferred vendor list.
post #1246 of 1255 Old 09-24-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik_1 View Post
I disagree. We knew what we were buying and should be thankful that we are offered this upgrade at all. After purchase LG does not owe us anything besides warranty repairs. I do not quite understand this post other than attributing to the entitlement attitude I find so prevalent in US.

I own top of the range Denon AVR-4520 and would gladly upgrade it to HDMI 2.0 for a fee. Alas, Denon does not have the same ethics as LG. Updating maps in my VW Touareg would cost me over a grand. I can afford it but feeling of disgust that VW wants that money for 5 min work prevents me from pulling plastic out of my wallet. But sure enough I will never buy another VW car again.

Even worse I have my personal laundry list of electronics manufacturers that made defective products that impacted me personally (ASrock, D-link, VIA, Seagate). Another list are companies that abandoned their product lines on which I heavily relied (Logitech - Squeezebox, MS - Windows Mobile, Google - Google Reader). Whenever possible I use these companies competitor solutions and advise everyone around on their choices accordingly.

Since LG by offering this upgrade demonstrated that they do not simply abandon their customers after initial purchase it is on the top of my short preferred vendor list.

Based on your location it is top of your vendor list i would say. Depends where you are in the world. Here in the UK LG just don't know a thing. I called LG UK about the update and have just been told that head office are considering it. Samsung and Sony however already have released there kit as a separate purchase to the local stores. I have also called the VIP care of the US LG support and was amazed at what they knew (which is what they should know but im used to support not knowing information) I am now considering selling my LG and getting another brand.

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q2,5,6 speakers and Rel 150 sub
post #1247 of 1255 Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 PM

HDMI 2 Upgrade

Quote:
I for one was thrilled that LG offered an upgrade path keeping the TV current. The sign of an excellent company indeed! An upgrade bonus for me was a new remote with an excellent layout which functions much better for me.

Looking forward to 4K Blu-ray late next year to fully take advantage of the LG upgrade. For now I plan to explore the few available Netflix UltraHD offerings.
post #1248 of 1255 Old 09-24-2014, 06:48 PM

I got my new TV! Delivered today and mounted up on the wall. I don't think it is a new, new TV, probably a factory repaired one, but so far (knock on wood) it is working well. Hopefully I can find some posts about calibration of this model, as the calibration for the previous model that was posted in this thread made the picture very nice compared to factory.

So far, I am still trying to figure out the setup of the simple link. I have all my stuff plugged into my Onkyo receiver and I have the receiver plugged into HDMI 2 (which has ARC support) but every time I try to select the input it defaults to my Blu Ray Player which is plugged into the Onkyo and not the Dish Hopper which is plugged into the Satelite port on the Onkyo. So I have to click the menu and then select the Hopper, it's rather annoying.

The menu is completely different and is eerily like the Linux Penguin.

I like the sound system! Most of the time I am watching the news so I turn the speakers on and don't use my receiver and the speakers make a nice edition. I mean Harmon Kardon speakers, not bad!

Overall, with the few hours I have had it, looks nice.

If anyone has picture optimizations for this LG 84UB9800 TV and can send them to me I would appreciate it!
post #1249 of 1255 Old 09-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
So i am eyeing this tv, as this is on my wishlist, the other one being the 90" sharp.

i see two models of this tv, but there is a huge price difference on amazon, almost like double price for the same size.
the 84LM9600 for 5800 and then we have the 84UB9800 for about 10,000
is there a major difference between both?
what are other good options for a price range within 6500 dollars.
post #1250 of 1255 Old 09-26-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
So i am eyeing this tv, as this is on my wishlist, the other one being the 90" sharp.

i see two models of this tv, but there is a huge price difference on amazon, almost like double price for the same size.
the 84LM9600 for 5800 and then we have the 84UB9800 for about 10,000
is there a major difference between both?
what are other good options for a price range within 6500 dollars.
The 84LM9600 was LG's first gen 4K Tv that hit the market in late 2012. The 84UB9800 is their second gen replacement set that hit the market a few months ago. The major differences (out of the box -- more on that distinction below) are:

* The 9800 has all the latest standards that are either required now or expected to be required to play 4K content. HDMI 2.0 inputs (versus 1.4 for the 9600), HEVC decoding for streaming sources, 4:4:4 color sampling support and HDCP 2.2 copy protection. HDMI 2.0 will definitely matter. HEVC is already necessary to stream Netflix in 4K and will likely be the standard for most or all streaming sites that have professional (versus YouTube) content. The benefits of HDCP are theoretical at the moment since nothing yet uses, but the 4K blu-ray players expected late next year may.

* The UB9800 uses LG's newer WebOS user interface which has more apps and is generally considered a nice UI.

* The UB9800 has built-in Harmon Karman front-firing speakers on either side. Vastly superior overall sound quality, but if you plan to use an AVR for sound an unnecessary appendage.

* The LM9600 has had issues reported by many with audio getting out of lip sync track with the video and with some visible vertical banding of the image. So far these issues have not been reported by users of the newer UB9800.

* The later model cycle LM9600's have only 3 HDMI ports while the UB9800 has 4.

If that were the end of the story I would say avoid the LM9600.

But I qualified "out of the box" above for a key reason. LG has started offering a $500 upgrade for the LM9600 where they send a tech to your house to install new boards in the panel. These boards fix many of the above issues, including adding HDMI 2.0, 4:4:4, HEVC (and therefore Netflix 4K capacity), 4:4:4 and the lip sync issue. Not clear yet whether it fixes the banding issue which only impacted some people anyway. They have started releasing this on the West Coast so it may take a while to reach your market.

All that said, one other important note. When you compare $5,800 for the LM9600 to $10,000 for the UB9800 it's apples-to-oranges. Assuming you're using Amazon, the LM9600 is now only sold by third party merchants on the Amazon website while the UB9800 price you see is basically full price from Amazon itself I suspect (or one of a handful of their merchants who sell at the current manufacture's suggested price). However if you go to any of the price comparison sites, for example the Shopping tab on Google, you'll see the street price for the newer UB9800 is really between $6-7K from the same kind of merchants that are selling the LM9600 for under $6K. So from an apples-to-appples merchant, the price difference is usually within $500 gave-or-take, which is the cost of the upgrade for the LM9600. Which is why, barring a special deal you find somewhere, I would get the UB9800 of the two and save the upgrade hassle and still end up with the better speakers. The downside of most of these vendors is they will not have a return policy though. BTW, Amazon price-matches some places including Best Buy, and they have the LM9800 for $9K.

Good luck.
holyindian and NSX1992 like this.
post #1251 of 1255 Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just had the 84" LG UB9800 installed on Friday. My first impressions are very positive. I hung the TV on the wall so I had to pull off the speakers. What a brain dead designer to make the speakers protrude so far out the back so wall hanging on a standard bracket becomes an issue. Not a serious problem as I would not generally use them anyway. I also have an 80 inch Sharp with 240 Hz refresh rate and 3D capable. I paid $6K for the sharp including tax and installation. I paid just over $9K for the LG including tax and installation. If you can stretch the budget get the UB9800 and don't look back.

Gary
post #1252 of 1255 Old 09-29-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I was able to resolve the "Unable to read My App List because of memory issue. Initialize to resolve issue" problem on my own, knock on wood. Clicking on Initialize did not solve the problem.
Interesting. I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, but clicked on Initialize and haven't had the problem since.
post #1253 of 1255 Old 09-29-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryArthur View Post
Just had the 84" LG UB9800 installed on Friday. My first impressions are very positive. I hung the TV on the wall so I had to pull off the speakers. What a brain dead designer to make the speakers protrude so far out the back so wall hanging on a standard bracket becomes an issue. Not a serious problem as I would not generally use them anyway. I also have an 80 inch Sharp with 240 Hz refresh rate and 3D capable. I paid $6K for the sharp including tax and installation. I paid just over $9K for the LG including tax and installation. If you can stretch the budget get the UB9800 and don't look back.
Gary
So how hard was it to get the speakers off ? Look good afterwards ?

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #1254 of 1255 Old 09-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So how hard was it to get the speakers off ? Look good afterwards ?

Removing the speakers was very easy. Maybe 4 or 5 minutes and done. In a few years it will be harder to remember where I stored them. The look with speakers gone is sleek. Just a narrow band of black surrounding a stunning picture.
post #1255 of 1255 Old 09-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I got my upgrade installed yesterday. The correct phone number is 877-543-8325 and the service center is located in Alabama. The first person answering then connected me to a supervisor who sent me an agreement to sign before she would ok the upgrade. I do not have a scanner so had my friend scan the signed agreement and I emailed it back as an attachment. Two days went by without a word so I called back and the new person set me up with the LG approved local installer who called me back within an hour to get my credit card information and my ok to pay $525.43 so they could order the upgrade. The kit came in in one day and the installation was set up for the next day.

Two men arrived for the installation. Luckilly I have a large coffee table in front of the tv and room behind my large cabinets for access so it was easy to lay down the tv on the coffee table. The total time was 1 1/2 hours. Parts were $317.99, labor $182.00 and tax $25.44. The back was removed revealing a very complex set of electronic boards etc. The mother board and another board were replaced by a new single motherboard. LG even provided a colored 10 page instruction manual with pictures for them to follow. I think the $318 for parts is very reasonable considering how complex the board and new wiring appeared to me. LG should be commended for their effort to bring my "old" tv up to the new 4K standards.

The four Netflix nature 4K videos looked excellent. I watched 20 minutes of Ghostbusters 2 which also looked great. The tv series I have to watch before I can give you my opinion. You Tube 4K videos through my pc looked about the same as before, a lot depending on the video itself. For some strange reason my 1080p desktop would overfill the screen so I changed it to 3840x2160 and changed the letter size to 150%.

One USB port is marked 3.0 while the other two are 2.0. HDMI input 2 has max resolution 3840x2160@60p while HDMI input 1,3 have max resolution 3840x2160@24/30p. The instructions said to use the included HDMI cable for port 2. My pc would not work in port 2 but ok in port 1 or 3. My cable and Oppo player are connected to A/R which works in port 2. I feel like I have a new tv and can't wait to see more of 4K.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page