Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1245 Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
Will the upgrade allow me to watch House of Cards in 4K? Any other 4K programs?

Its meant to. Do you now have the HVEC (h.265) codec, thats whats needed to view Netflix in 4K. I wonder why you lose ARC functionality. I went over to using optical out instead of ARC as having auto HDMI was causing a lot of issues, but I would have liked to have the option to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1245 Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdz View Post
v
Thanks for posting, I have the exact same problem. Did it turn out OK for you?
Well the first attempt didn't. I filed the request and got it to locating a repair service, then when they couldn't find one (I live in the boonies) it was transferred to George, who was supposed to collect my invoice and confirm I was an owner and then get it RMA'd and a replacement sent out, but George either quit, got fired (I hope) or otherwise failed to complete the request after I sent the information. So I waited and I called George and left him messages and nothing. Finally I called George and got transferred to the operator, George was no longer there and I spoke to a new lady named Ramona that said I would have to start over and I told her that the result would be the same as my location hadn't been changed....

So I sent her the information and that was a couple of weeks ago and I just got a call from the RMA folks and they no longer have the old model so they are sending out a new 84UB9800 and they will supposidly remove the old one (mounted in my bedroom on the wall) and install the new one. Luckily they are going to do that because if not I would keep both as there is no feasible way I can remove this TV by myself and I had to swindle the maintenance guys at work to mount it for me the first time!

So basically it turned out fine, it just took forever but a new model is on the way, I hope it has some improvements over this model. I would hate to get the 'new' model which is actually cheaper and made with less quality as previous versions, which has happened before.

While the error doesn't happen every time I turn the TV on it still occurs and it is extremely annoying.

Glad LG is sticking behind their TV's. Now I have to research the new model and see the differences.
post #1233 of 1245 Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness View Post
So basically it turned out fine, it just took forever but a new model is on the way, I hope it has some improvements over this model. I would hate to get the 'new' model which is actually cheaper and made with less quality as previous versions, which has happened before.

While the error doesn't happen every time I turn the TV on it still occurs and it is extremely annoying.

Glad LG is sticking behind their TV's. Now I have to research the new model and see the differences.
Thanks for the reply, glad it worked out.

I was able to resolve the "Unable to read My App List because of memory issue. Initialize to resolve issue" problem on my own, knock on wood. Clicking on Initialize did not solve the problem. However, in the Settings menu, there was a selection that said something like Initialize Premium Services. Clicking on that seems to have resolved the issue.
post #1234 of 1245 Old 09-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdz View Post
Thanks for the reply, glad it worked out.

I was able to resolve the "Unable to read My App List because of memory issue. Initialize to resolve issue" problem on my own, knock on wood. Clicking on Initialize did not solve the problem. However, in the Settings menu, there was a selection that said something like Initialize Premium Services. Clicking on that seems to have resolved the issue.
Interesting, I might try it, before they bring the new one. From the specs it looks like it is worth the upgrade. It supports USB 3.0, HVEC 4k Codec and has an improved panel, not that I am impacted by that, it basically is my wall so no one views the TV at an angle, just directly on. The new model also seems to have better sound, more power et cetera.

Edited to add:

Though I would be worried that the initialization of the Premium (which I just did) is an indicator of a deeper issue and would be a cause to get it replaced. If you keep having to setup your premium services (like Amazon Et cetera) because they corrupt means there is a physical issue probably in the memory on the TV.

Another interesting thing I found out with this RMA, my TV is an Australian Model. Model: 84LM9600.AUS

Last edited by metuckness; 09-10-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Interesting Info
post #1235 of 1245 Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 12
I did not know I was paying to "test" the upgrade. I am indeed in Orange County, CA

I did not ask about House of Cards 4K. The relevant info in agreement only states "Premium Content partner applications may fully or partially support after the upgrade"
post #1236 of 1245 Old 09-15-2014, 04:00 PM

Liked: 0
LG 84LM9600 HDMI 2 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik_1 View Post
I have my upgrade scheduled for this Friday. Cost is $499 plus tax. According to the agreement I had to sign besides the 4K, 60Hz the TV is getting WebOS and losing ARC. I wonder if the upgrade will solve 3D lip sync issue...

Now I have to admit that most of my content is via HTPC and there is no HDMI 2.0 graphic card in sight...
Please post with how the upgrade went. I called 877-543-8355 and have been on hold with LG support for over an hour so far. One person briefly came on, I told him I wanted the HDMI 2 Upgrade for the 84LM9600 and he said he knew about it however he had to get a supervisor. Finally, about one hour 20 minutes into the call, I have an appointment! Apparently they have a tech near Chicago and if he can order and get the part in before Friday, I will have it installed. I am pretty excited that LG appears to be really supporting us!

Last edited by MeTV; 09-15-2014 at 06:00 PM.
post #1237 of 1245 Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTV View Post
Please post with how the upgrade went. I called 877-543-8355 and have been on hold with LG support for over an hour so far. One person briefly came on, I told him I wanted the HDMI 2 Upgrade for the 84LM9600 and he said he knew about it however he had to get a supervisor. Still waiting.....One hour 9 minutes and counting on hold so far.
There were no replacement parts Friday morning remaining in stock. Rescheduled for Thursday
MeTV likes this.
post #1238 of 1245 Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Upgrade Experience

I normally don't write on forums, however I need to express my distaste with my recent experience with LG. I called the VIP # and scheduled for HDMI 4K Upgrade. The scheduling process went super smooth however the actual installation went horrible. My service appt was scheduled for 9/18 between 12-5pm. I received no phone call confirming the actual time a rep would arrive. At 1 pm two LG contracted labor workers arrived to help move the TV off the wall. After I helped removing the TV, all 3 of us sat around for 2 hours waiting for the LG tech to arrive. The LG tech arrived at 3 pm and recommended I clear off the place mats and centerpiece off the dining room table in order to lay the TV on the table for access. I prepped the table and was ready to have true 4K installed. After 30 minutes of phone calls from the tech to LG, the tech advised me the equipment upgrade he had with him was not complete and had to reschedule. I called LG and received a 20% discount off the $150 labor charge for rescheduled appt. Awesome!
post #1239 of 1245 Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 147
So they charge $150 for labor on top of the $499 for the parts?
post #1240 of 1245 Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
So they charge $150 for labor on top of the $499 for the parts?
No the $499 is for parts and labor combined.
post #1241 of 1245 Old 09-18-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkabir View Post
That's what I thought -- but I was responding to the comment above about being offered 20% of the $150 labor charge.
post #1242 of 1245 Old 09-20-2014, 12:35 AM

my upgrade was finally installed this Thursday. It took couple of hours in total. I agreed to the cost of $499 plus tax. the final receipt was for $422. tech were surprised themselves.

a few bits I learned:

• new board replaces two PCB. one of them included framerate scaler and the interconnect was creating lag between video and audio. I was told that the single board should greatly help the audio lag but in practice I still have to delay audio by 200ms to watch 3D movies
  • no ARC is because the HDMI 2.0 chip LG used for upgrade does not have this function. Implementing it separately was considered not worthwhile endeavour given that few use this function
  • the board is similar to this year model but had to be customized for our TV
  • it has 3 HDMI inputs unlike previous 4
  • WebOS looks nice but I could not see useful added functionality. definitely the selection of apps is just as limited
  • you lose all settings. if you calibrated your set make sure to record them.
  • in Netflix House of Cards and Breaking Bad show up as UltraHD 4K. the former looks great but with the 1st season of the latter I nave doubts if it js that much better then upscaled blu-ray. I have not tried 4k youtube videos yet.
now I will have to upgrade all remaining components of my video setup to 4k
NSX1992 likes this.
post #1243 of 1245 Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post
Will the upgrade allow me to watch House of Cards in 4K? Any other 4K programs?
The Upgrade (Ultra HD Upgrade Kit) successfully streams Netflix Ultra HD. Yes, you can watch House of Cards in 4K, additionally from what I could see Netflix Ultra HD includes Breaking Bad, Smurfs 2, Moving Arts Forests, Flowers, Deserts, and Oceans, and finally Ghostbusters till October 1st.
post #1244 of 1245 Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTV View Post
The Upgrade (Ultra HD Upgrade Kit) successfully streams Netflix Ultra HD. Yes, you can watch House of Cards in 4K, additionally from what I could see Netflix Ultra HD includes Breaking Bad, Smurfs 2, Moving Arts Forests, Flowers, Deserts, and Oceans, and finally Ghostbusters till October 1st.
Thanks I will call LG tomorrow and order upgrade.
post #1245 of 1245 Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkabir View Post
I can say that anyone, and I am sure there where a few people that paid $17,999. for there set, that update should be free. Street price was about half that thru out the year.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

/
/

/

/
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page