Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1261 of 1269 Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called today to order the upgrade, and was told that it is also not yet available in my area (SF bay area).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1269 Old 11-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurik_1 View Post
my upgrade was finally installed this Thursday. It took couple of hours in total. I agreed to the cost of $499 plus tax. the final receipt was for $422. tech were surprised themselves.

a few bits I learned:

• new board replaces two PCB. one of them included framerate scaler and the interconnect was creating lag between video and audio. I was told that the single board should greatly help the audio lag but in practice I still have to delay audio by 200ms to watch 3D movies
  • no ARC is because the HDMI 2.0 chip LG used for upgrade does not have this function. Implementing it separately was considered not worthwhile endeavour given that few use this function
  • the board is similar to this year model but had to be customized for our TV
  • it has 3 HDMI inputs unlike previous 4
  • WebOS looks nice but I could not see useful added functionality. definitely the selection of apps is just as limited
  • you lose all settings. if you calibrated your set make sure to record them.
  • in Netflix House of Cards and Breaking Bad show up as UltraHD 4K. the former looks great but with the 1st season of the latter I nave doubts if it js that much better then upscaled blu-ray. I have not tried 4k youtube videos yet.
now I will have to upgrade all remaining components of my video setup to 4k
Recording the calibration really dosent work. Because of the new chip and the newer operating system.
The LG tech copied all the settings and it looked really bad. So I had to have
It recalibrated.
post #1263 of 1269 Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 PM

Floor display

I've found one of these for $4000. ($4500 including the upgrade). The TV is in a back room wrapped in bubble wrap so I can't easily see it in operation.

How well this TV does with picture quality given low resolution input? I'm very intolerant of compression artifacts. When the camera pans across a building, does the building just go by or does each window frame squirm and squiggle, break-up and reform continuously?

I've read that the new version has "improved motion control" Does that mean this one has poor motion control?
If they're installing a new motherboard with the upgrade, do you suppose the improvements are included?

Should I get it? 4K TVs are dropping fast. By the time I add a warranty and taxes it's over $5000 for last year's TV.

Last edited by Flinter; 11-25-2014 at 04:40 PM.
post #1264 of 1269 Old 11-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am very happy with mine. I don't see any blurring. I also use it as my monitor with crystal clear letters. The 3D is the best. I paid $13,000 for mine which at that time was low. $4,500 is a steal so grab it.
post #1265 of 1269 Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Hi everyone, newbie with a new set here. Opted for the LM and not the UB version due to the price difference (around 2k - 3k euro) where I live.

First impression was rather mixed, as I was indeed stunned by the PQ (my previous set was a SONY 70 RPTV) but there was a grey spot on the screen that was clearly noticeable. Called customer service the next day, a technician came a day later to confirm it's a panel problem and they took the set away in order to further assess it.

It goes without saying that I was not happy at all with the situation, but I remained kinda calm as I was reading everywhere on the net about LG excellent service (didn't find anything specific for Greece where I live though).

On Friday I was informed by the service respondent that the set is to be replaced 'ASAP' (perhaps today or tomorrow) and the LG staff on the place where I bought the set indicated that there is a strong possibility I get ne new model (the UB version) instead of the one I bought, which I thinnk would be a significant compensation, as the price difference is still substantial in Greece.

Will let you guys know what happens.
post #1266 of 1269 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

We've had a 84LM9600 on the wall for a few months now. In general, it performs reasonably well.

A question, then an observation:

Q: Has anyone had trouble with the TV disconnecting from/reconnecting to a wired network every 30 seconds or so? It's brand new CAT 5E cabling. The TV is connected to a (cheap) 5-port gigabit switch, and the switch connects to the wallplate. I tested the circuit with two different laptops and neither had any difficulties... I ordered a new combination wireless AP and switch, which the wife says arrived today. Hopefully taking the cheap switch out of the picture will magically fix the problem.

Observation:
It seems exceedingly difficult to get the upgrade process started. When I first heard of it, I called my dealer, (servicing LG dealer) and they denied it existed. After I called LG and spent the better part of any hour on various holds I was able to confirm the upgrade does indeed exist, but that it wasn't available "in my area" yet. I wonder what that means? My dealer is a fairly large one at a local high-end audio store - I wonder why location would make any difference? In any case my dealer's service manager called me back a few days later and said they now see the kit in their online inventory, and got my credit card number to order it. We shall see...

Thanks,
--jim
(Spokane Valley WA)

Last edited by jbarber; Yesterday at 03:59 PM. Reason: To change thread subscription
post #1267 of 1269 Unread Today, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[QUOTE=jbarber;29833490]

Q: Has anyone had trouble with the TV disconnecting from/reconnecting to a wired network every 30 seconds or so?]

I had exactly that problem when I first got my set. I called LG and they replaced the motherboard. Problem still existed. The technician told me that it might be due to the fact that my router was 10/100 and the switch I was using was 10/100/1000. He said its always best to keep everything the same (the issue went away if I plugged the tv directly into the 10/100 router). I upgraded my router to a 10/100/1000 and this time the problem was there even when the tv was plugged into the router directly. Eventually I got over the problem by connecting a 10/100 switch into my 10/100/1000 router and connecting the tv to that switch. In other words it did not like being plugged into anything directly that was gigabit. I have not had the problem again
post #1268 of 1269 Unread Today, 01:37 PM

Smile

I put in a new wireless AP with a built-in 10/100/1000 switch yesterday and got rid of the cheap Cisco/Linksys switch
I had been using. Since then I've played with the TVs browser a bit, and my wife streamed a 1080p NetFlix movie.
So far, so good - not a single disconnect.

The "old" switch was 10/100/1000, but there must have been something about it that the TV network interface didn't
like.

Thanks for posting. With two similar cases, I think we can safely say the TV interface is "fussy".

--jim

[quote=Andykard;29853090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarber View Post

Q: Has anyone had trouble with the TV disconnecting from/reconnecting to a wired network every 30 seconds or so?]

I had exactly that problem when I first got my set. I called LG and they replaced the motherboard. Problem still existed. The technician told me that it might be due to the fact that my router was 10/100 and the switch I was using was 10/100/1000. He said its always best to keep everything the same (the issue went away if I plugged the tv directly into the 10/100 router). I upgraded my router to a 10/100/1000 and this time the problem was there even when the tv was plugged into the router directly. Eventually I got over the problem by connecting a 10/100 switch into my 10/100/1000 router and connecting the tv to that switch. In other words it did not like being plugged into anything directly that was gigabit. I have not had the problem again
post #1269 of 1269 Unread Today, 01:40 PM

... also, I didn't make it clear that the TV is wired directly to the switch.
We use the wireless AP as a "hotspot" - phones, laptops etc.

--jim
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page