my upgrade was finally installed this Thursday. It took couple of hours in total. I agreed to the cost of $499 plus tax. the final receipt was for $422. tech were surprised themselves.
a few bits I learned:
- new board replaces two PCB. one of them included framerate scaler and the interconnect was creating lag between video and audio. I was told that the single board should greatly help the audio lag but in practice I still have to delay audio by 200ms to watch 3D movies
- no ARC is because the HDMI 2.0 chip LG used for upgrade does not have this function. Implementing it separately was considered not worthwhile endeavour given that few use this function
- the board is similar to this year model but had to be customized for our TV
- it has 3 HDMI inputs unlike previous 4
- WebOS looks nice but I could not see useful added functionality. definitely the selection of apps is just as limited
- you lose all settings. if you calibrated your set make sure to record them.
- in Netflix House of Cards and Breaking Bad show up as UltraHD 4K. the former looks great but with the 1st season of the latter I nave doubts if it js that much better then upscaled blu-ray. I have not tried 4k youtube videos yet.
now I will have to upgrade all remaining components of my video setup to 4k