Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1351 of 1355 Old 02-11-2017, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hdr

Hi BC,

Assume as you are connected to PC that you are connected to HDMI 2. This supports HDR, but not HDCP 2.2 .

I am only using HDMI 1, and Picture setting to enable/disable HDR is greyed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_chow View Post
I'm a bit confused by HDR. I use the TV connected to a HTPC and Nvidia tells me it has HDR and the TV has a HDR setting as well.
Think of HDR as like turning up brightness of TV up full, but without washing out blacks to greys, rather it provides greater luminescence across entire colour range. To provide this extended range you need to have extra bits (ie going from 8 bits per RGB channel to 10/12 bits per RGB).

If display did not have ability to achieve greater level of luminescence then then none of this would matter. Like an old cathode TV with burnt out phosphor, when you have to turn up brightness to max just to get enough light to see picture.

Cheers,

Zebity.

Last edited by zebity; 02-11-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1355 Old 02-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebity View Post
Hi BC,

Assume as you are connected to PC that you are connected to HDMI 2. This supports HDR, but not HDCP 2.2 .

I am only using HDMI 1, and Picture setting to enable/disable HDR is greyed out.
I am using HDMI 2, which is the only input that supports 4K at 60 FPS (which is what I'm running it at).
post #1353 of 1355 Old 07-24-2017, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I've owned an 84LM9600-UA since 7/13 but I am brand new to the forum.

I am currently waiting to get the HDMI upgrade. Just found out about it from this forum, after I was unable to playback 4k from bluray recently. Surprise! lol. Well that's what you get for being an early adopter. Major props to LG for even providing this upgrade.

I have a problem with 3D playback that maybe someone can answer. Only during 3D bluray playback, I get a vertical line that appears in certain scenes. It appears in the right eye only, and is located at a distance of about 1/3rd the total width of the screen from the left side. The line sometimes is completely invisible and other times is as plain as day. It never appears during 2d playback. If I had to guess I'd say the column can't display every color, so that's why it's intermittent. But it's odd that it only happens in 3d.

For awhile I assumed it was the fault of my 3d player, but I recently upgraded to a 4k model and it does the same thing during 3D playback. Any ideas? Is it a bad screen?

Regards,
Bill

post #1354 of 1355 Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
First off, welcome to the owners thread!

Very strange, I have watched quite a few 3D Blu-ray's and I've never seen that. Always just a highly detailed and immersive experience with no strange artifacts or odd lines in the picture. Has this line in the picture issue happened since you first got the TV?

Mine, like yours, has not been upgraded. Just curious, how much is the upgrade now? Overall my 84LM9600 has been an excellent TV, no complaints other than I wish it had all the new goodies that the current 4K models have.

I hope you're able to get that 3D line issue corrected, as I'm sure it's got to be distracting when watching 3D movies.

Maybe some other owners here can chime in.
post #1355 of 1355 Old 07-25-2017, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
First off, welcome to the owners thread!

Very strange, I have watched quite a few 3D Blu-ray's and I've never seen that. Always just a highly detailed and immersive experience with no strange artifacts or odd lines in the picture. Has this line in the picture issue happened since you first got the TV?

Mine, like yours, has not been upgraded. Just curious, how much is the upgrade now? Overall my 84LM9600 has been an excellent TV, no complaints other than I wish it had all the new goodies that the current 4K models have.

I hope you're able to get that 3D line issue corrected, as I'm sure it's got to be distracting when watching 3D movies.

Maybe some other owners here can chime in.
I don't recall how long ago I first noticed it. Maybe 2 years ago. I don't watch 3D often, so it's a case of out of sight out of mind. Because it doesn't happen all the time. In some discs it seems more prevalent than others. Like I said for a long time I figured it was a problem with the player. But 3D is otherwise amazing on this tv. Fortunately it doesn't happen often. Maybe 5% of the playback time you can see it plainly.

The HDMI upgrade is $499 plus any taxes. You call the customer service number and they redirect you to the VIP section after you give them the model number. Then you sign a contract and wait for the repair people to call for a time to do the repairs. That's where I'm at now.

I am hoping the repair people might be able to figure out the problem while they're here. Maybe it's something to do with the input controller boards. That would be a nice coincidence, to fix that problem with the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page