Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1381 of 1386 Old 09-27-2017, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just was notified that Mack worldwide warranty is replacing my panel for free. Good thing I paid big bucks for the in home 5 year warranty. Apparently the new LG 86" tv isn't that great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1386 Old 09-28-2017, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Just was notified that Mack worldwide warranty is replacing my panel for free. Good thing I paid big bucks for the in home 5 year warranty. Apparently the new LG 86" tv isn't that great.
That's awesome news! Here's hoping that the replacement panel is issue free. Yes, I haven't heard very good things from a lot of owners of the 86". I will say that for ours being first generation models, they sure do give an amazing picture! I watched the newest Transformers movie on Blu-ray, and I just kept marveling in the gorgeous picture quality.
post #1383 of 1386 Old 09-28-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
That's awesome news! Here's hoping that the replacement panel is issue free. Yes, I haven't heard very good things from a lot of owners of the 86". I will say that for ours being first generation models, they sure do give an amazing picture! I watched the newest Transformers movie on Blu-ray, and I just kept marveling in the gorgeous picture quality.
Agree about the pq, and the 3D is amazing on this tv as well. Some of the newer tv's I've heard are phasing 3D out. I hate to hear that as I am a big fan of 3D. I've been buying up all the 3D disks I can in case they become extinct.

4K frankly doesn't have much wow for me. 3D is much more impressive to me. Especially 4k from a bluray disk. I think they must compress it at some point. Because 4k from for example youtube looks much better. 4k from a disk is only slightly better than 1080p from a disk. You can see a difference because you can read the fine print on a newspaper that a character is reading, but beyond that it's not a big difference off of a disk.

post #1384 of 1386 Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Agree about the pq, and the 3D is amazing on this tv as well. Some of the newer tv's I've heard are phasing 3D out. I hate to hear that as I am a big fan of 3D. I've been buying up all the 3D disks I can in case they become extinct.

4K frankly doesn't have much wow for me. 3D is much more impressive to me. Especially 4k from a bluray disk. I think they must compress it at some point. Because 4k from for example youtube looks much better. 4k from a disk is only slightly better than 1080p from a disk. You can see a difference because you can read the fine print on a newspaper that a character is reading, but beyond that it's not a big difference off of a disk.
Yes, the 3D on this TV is insanely good! Best 3D period! A close second is my LG C6 OLED, it has stunning 3D as well. Yes it's a real shame that 3D is being phased out on TV's. All 2017 models (regardless of brand) have no 3D capability. It would be nice if at least some flagship models in 2018 have 3D. I, like you, have a large 3D Blu-ray collection (130+), so this is the reason I also got the 2016 LG OLED. In the event I sell my 84" next year, at least I will still have a great 3D display.

I have to agree, not all 4K has wowed me. Some, like you said, looks no better than upscaled 1080p Blu-ray. And even some filmed in 4K, with a 4K digital intermediate, wasn't jaw dropping (Independence Day: Resurgence). I have about 15 4K Blu-ray titles, and so far the ones that have real wow factor are The Revenant, Deadpool, and Planet Earth II. And you are so right, a lot of 4K demo stuff from YouTube looks stunning, with jaw dropping clarity and color! That's what I want 4K movies to look like.
post #1385 of 1386 Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Ok warranty repair is finished. New panel is great.

Surprisingly, LG did not want the defective panel back, and neither did the warranty company. So I am selling it on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17293445219...84.m1558.l2649
post #1386 of 1386 Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Ok warranty repair is finished. New panel is great.

Surprisingly, LG did not want the defective panel back, and neither did the warranty company. So I am selling it on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17293445219...84.m1558.l2649
Hey guys. Just stopping by. I started this thread a little while ago. We're still loving our 4K panel. It's pictured in the first post. Although since then the panel has been replaced and then sometime later most of the boards inside. I do really appreciate LG's support in all of that.

I've since tacked on a $200 sound bar to improve the sound when we use the panel without the surround sound system. It helps my wife too who has hearing issues.

My company does business in theater automation and we exhibited at InfoComm for the first time last year. So I am actually in here looking to see what's up for 2018. I assume that someplace in here there are threads associated with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Vsx 21txh 71 Av Receiver , Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page