Vizio E3D420VX vs E420D-A0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Only difference between the 2 is one is Edge-lit LED, and one is LCD. They are both Vizio 3D sets. The edge lit LED has a 2 million to one contrast ratio, and the LCD has a 200,000:1 and both retail at $508.00.

They are both the same price and refresh rate. I got a samsung FULL LED recently but was very unimpressed, it was very hard to get the picture right and stable for everything. I had to keep adjusting it. Some scenes were too dark, some scenes were too bright for different movies/games. I've seen the LCD, my brother owns it. The problem is, is the LED better for future proofing? Or am I okay with getting the LCD?

The LCD is already ordered, but I have a few hours to cancel and order the LED 3DTV.

EDIT: Again this is an EDGE LIT 3DTV, not a FULL LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The LED is thiner, lighter and they use less power.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 801
I just so happen to be researching these two units.

I found the E3D420VX to have a refresh rate of 10ms and the E420D-A0 to have a refresh rate of 5ms.

I found this recent C/net Asia article that discussed edge lighting vs backlighting.

Here's Amazon based user reviews on Each.

VIZIO E420d-A0 42-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Smart 3D HDTV

VIZIO E3D420VX 42 Inch Class Theater 3D LCD HDTV

So far, based on all I've read, the E420D-A0 is getting the edge as to a user based nod of approval.

My purpose is to replace a five year old, Samsung, 32", 720p for casual home office viewing from a recliner based position, ten feet from the screen.

Hope the above helps aid one's research on these two models.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I noticed that. I contacted vizio and asked about the refresh rate. They told me it does reduce lag from what I'm reading on reviews when you change it to game mode, then it's significantly better. In 3D and without. This tv I hear the UI is really funky and clunky (on the a420D, and that it should be fixed in a firmware update.). I talked to a reviewer and messaged him, he told me to go with the a420D, but I can no longer cancel my order, so I may be stuck with the e3d420.. It IS a fantastic set, I own one at home (brother just bought his 2 weeks ago, it's why I'm so set on buying this, because I've seen it). but if i can get better 3d for the price, and a better picture and colors (the e3d is already fantastic) that would be worth it since they are the same price. I am skeptical on the price of the set though, since the e3d420x is even higher priced in some places still and the edge lit LED is already starting out much cheaper.

Here's the contents of the email that the guy sent me back. I had asked him why he rated the LED one a 4, and the LCD one a 5/5:

"Hi,

Thank you for the contact. To be truthful, the E3D420VX was one of your initial reviews where we still tried to figure out how the rating system truly stands. There were not many comparisons and now seeing a quick raise in better 3D TVs and of course, LED screens, we can be a bit more harsh on the rating to bring out the very best when needed.

I would recommend grabbing the E420d-A0 for the image alone, however as mentioned you may have annoyances with the menu (i.e. lagging browsing, slow loading apps). Then again, the smart side of the TV can be fixed in a firmware, however the image quality cannot.

So yeah, that would be a short opinion. We should revamp the older review system and thank you for the email."
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 PM

I hate it when that happens. tongue.gif

I've been a Samsung fanboy for years. Everything in our house, Blu-ray players and TV's are Samsung but due to price and that this is nothing more then a "man-cave" viewing screen for the business channels and news (for obvious reasons, I've cut my news habit waaaaaaay back), I figure I'd try something different and like you, personal research has steered me to these two Vizio brand televisions.

-
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I can honestly definitely assure you that the e3d420vx is a really incredible TV for it's price. It looks better than my old vizio plasma that i got for a grand in 06, and we have had many Samsungs/Sharp Aquos' and LG's on the higher end of the spectrum. It does require adjusting when you get it slightly, just with color and contrast.. and sharpness settings up a small amount, then you're good to go.

Very easy to set up, no software issues, etc. the remote for it is amazing too, you can just go on youtube right from your living room and it looks super mad sharp. I notice tv's also suffer when you connect PC's and you have to adjust settings, but not this one at all. I am a VERY picky person and analytical, I am very satisfied with it. So you really can't go wrong with it. But if you're buying it in the store (i'm not, different story) then you can just take it back and get the LCD version. Try both out, see what you like. Returns aren't a big hassle, unless you're ordering online. If you can't decide and are ordering online, I've seen the e3d420vx, and I own another vizio in the house, it looks better than my 47" and comparable to some of those crazy looking 3DTV's at best buy.

P.S. It's only edge-lit. Not full LED on the newer model.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Yesterday I ended up buying a Vizio, E420-A0 from Costco for $429.99 plus an extended three year warranty for an additional $30.00.

So with a five year warranty, the unit was $460.00 plus local/state sales tax; <$500.00.

The main differences between the E420D-A0 and the E420-A0 were, the E420-A0 is a hundred dollars cheaper, no Wi-Fi, no 3-D and 60Hz vs 120Hz refresh although the refresh rate is still 6ms. Even though losing a few upgrade features, one is buying a unit with full LED back lighting for a forty-two inch LCD screen diagonal with a five year, in home repair contract (and full refund if not repairable), for under five hundred dollars.

In my opinion, a screaming good deal.

-
post #8 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Question for you guys who own the E3D470VX tv. NewEgg currently has a 47" refurb of this TV for $480. I know this is almost a 2 year old TV at this point, and especially as a refurb, is that even a decent deal? I'm looking to replace a 7 year old 42" Samsung 720P DLP as my primary TV, and am not looking to spend a ton of money (primarily my WIFE is not looking to spend a ton of money. haha!) I don't care about 3D or SmartTv features. My only requirements are 1080P, a (true) 120Hz refresh, and a matte screen, due to where my tv is positioned in relation to the lights/windows in my living room.

From reading this thread and another, it seems like these TV's were pretty good for the money (i.e. as an inexpensive tv to begin with), so I'm wondering if this would be a good option for a low-cost upgrade to a flat panel. Thanks for your input!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 AM

You're locking yourself down over a 120Hz standard. I understand but Is this standard that important? About the only time I've found need for this standard was if I was trying to follow a hockey puck or a tennis ball but other than that, I don't find need for the 120Hz standard.

As to referbs, I've had excellent luck but I've read of others having terrible luck. But on the other hand, I've read of folks having terrible luck with brand new as today, in my opinion, buying anything with a cord attached is more a crapshoot than a sure thing. My attitude, little things, I'll buy online but if it's a big thing like a television, I "HAVE" to buy local because if there's a return issue, I want the store front to be local. And by local, we're in the mountains so local is twenty miles away. tongue.gif

As to the WAF, wink.gif, usually if you whine enough, you should be able to get an extra hundred bucks out of the deal as wives hate to listen to it just as much as guys do.

"Oh my, I really do want that more expensive TV as it has all the features I want and I'll hate this unit, all over a hundred bucks......mope, mope around the house, mope."

Hey, if the gals can do it, I say more power to guys using the same manipulation technique. And to those who cry foul. I say fooey on you. If the money is there, the bills have been paid, the 401(k) and savings bank has been fed, go for it.

Five years ago we paid $2,800.00 for a forty-six inch television. Today's smart forty-seven inch televisions, out the Costco door, with five years worth of warranty is about $600.00. The only flaw in the deal, it's 60Hz as opposed to 120Hz. Most 120Hz TV's are a hundred bucks more. If you have one local, check Costco and Best Buy to see who has the best deal going so that way if there is a problem, they're close by for exchange purposes. What price, peace of mind?

My above is not intended to change your mind or morals on anything. The intent of my above is to share a different perspective. I hope the above helps with your decision making process.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E420d A0 42 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E420d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page