Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4276 Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

Best Buy has both the 60" & 70" models now available.

As does Denver area Sears larger stores. You can check availability at local store from their website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4276 Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 11
Hi, I am very interested to the 50" version of this sony tv. I will use it mainly for playing videogames consoles and some movie.
Someone that already owns this tv, has tried the input lag when playing games??
The Pendragon likes this.
post #273 of 4276 Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The comparison I would like to see is how the 550 does against the new Samsung F8000. Maybe a little unfair but what the heck.
post #274 of 4276 Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I have seen both the 60" and 70" and even the R520 in a 60" version. While I was unable to adjust the setting at Costco and Sears the picture was good. I was also not able to see the 3D.
At first glance the TV has the matte finish BUT more gloss than a typical matte screen. For example: when I looked at reflections I was able to clearly see defined objects in the reflection as opposed to the other matte screen tvs (Vizio and other brands) were the reflections were more flat and I was unable to see details in the reflections. Sony seems to be between a glass and a matte type finished but if I had to lean to one side its more a matte finish.
The biggest issue I see is that most of the inputs are directly on the back of the TV and not the sides. There were 2 or 3 HDMI and USB inputs (if I correctly recall) on the side but thats it and all other inputs are directly on the back. So if you want to mount this tv with a slim mount to give that really flat slim look on the wall this might be an issue.
post #275 of 4276 Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I saw the 60" today in PC Richard and for the money this set is great. I would buy this set over any of the recent Sharps I have seen. The set has a semi gloss screen. It is definitely glossier than the Sharp screens, which gives a more three dimensional look to the picture. The reflections weren't too bad at least compared to Samsung screens.. The off angle viewing was so so. If you are looking for plasma like angles look elsewhere. My only real gripe is the limited menu controls on this set, in particular the CMS controls.....there are none that I could see.....someone correct me if I am wrong. There is only cool, neutral and warm as far as color temperature goes. Not great if you really are trying to get the colors to be correct.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #276 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM

Sgooter,

I'm posting this on the public forum for other's benefit.

You mentioned not being able to stream 3D Netflix. To be honest I wasn't aware 3D Netflix streaming existed, but it does. However there's a caviat to that...

There are two connected functions here, "Super HD" and 3D. Only certain ISPs are able to deliver Super HD/3D. Those are called members of Netflix's "Open Connect" network. Only those ISPs can deliver a 3D signal.

To determine if your ISP is a member of the Open Connect network, go to this link: https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

It will show a status message about your ISPs status.

Bob

Sony KDL-70R550A, Onkyo TX-NR709 as preamp, Sunfire Cinema Grand power amp, Martin Logan SL3 - fronts, Martin Logan Cinema - center, Martin Logan Mosiac - surrounds, SVS 20-39 PC+ & PC12-NSD Subs, Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray, Denon DVD-756 for DVD-A, DirecTV HR-34 (Genie), Sony v2 Google TV.
post #277 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I picked up the 70" yesterday from Costco. I was not all that impressed with the PQ of the 70" display model that was running the same demo loop as the other 35 TVs, but I decided to buy it anyway mainly due to Costco's 90-day return policy, and I usually like Sony's PQ. So far at home, the PQ is much better than the demo model, but not yet great; still playing with the picture settings. The main areas of concern for me will be PQ, 3D, and off-axis performance. I'll try the Avatar 3D blu-ray soon. I sincerely want "Sunny" to be a keeper; let's hope he performs well during this "new hire" 90-day probation period.
LookN2Find likes this.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #278 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Please let us know about screen uniformity, clouding and flash lighting. Anybody know what screen Sony is using for the 550?
post #279 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

User Manual: KDL-R520A_R550A - User Manual.pdf 4456k .pdf file

Page 10 of the manual says, "1080/24p is available only with HDMI/MHL connection." The HDMI 2 port is labeled MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) on page 9. So does this mean only HDMI 2 can play 24fps content at 24fps? That seems odd. HDMI 1 supports ARC so you would want to use that port with a receiver and surly you would want it to be able to do 24fps too. Or does it mean HDMI or MHL devices can play back 24fps?

Updating my post... I see on page 78 it shows 1080/24p for both HDMI and MHL so it looks like it is supported on all HDMI inputs.
The Pendragon likes this.
post #280 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM

Liked: 16
That just means HDMI 1 is the only HDMI input with ARC functionality and HDMI 2 is the only one with MHL functionality other than that they're exactly the same.
post #281 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Please let us know about screen uniformity, clouding and flash lighting. Anybody know what screen Sony is using for the 550?
I spent quite a bit of time today with this new toy: screen uniformity is fine, no clouding, no bleeding along the edges/corners, and no flashlighting. Played Avatar 3D movie using the HDMI 2 port, and PQ was very good after I tweaked the Cinema mode settings. The 3D video effect was clear and deep. I also tried the 2D-to-3D simulation on a live basketball game and it was very good. Later I played the War Horse 2D blu-ray movie using the HDMI 3 port and PQ was fine after I switched from the Standard picture mode to Custom. My HT room does not have sunny window issues, so screen glare is never a factor. That said, I would say this set has sort of a semi-glare screen: you can see reflections of other things in the room, but they're muted; it's certainly not a mirror screen. By today's standards, the PQ is satisfactory, but just not WOW. Also, the remote control is not illuminated. One minor irritant: The cables behind and below the TV are visible; wish they were unseen. If I keep this TV, I'll have to devise something to hide all the cables. Also, during low or no light viewing, you notice the screen's reflection below on its chrome stand. I've not found anything wrong or bad, just haven't found anything great either...except for that big screen and the quality look and feel of this impressive set. I gave some thought to programming this TV's remote control codes into my Harmony 1, which would effectively integrate the TV with the rest of my HT equipment, which means "Sunny" is earning my attention and appreciation.

post #282 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM

You guys seem to really be liking your R550's. How are the black levels? I will take it as descriptive as you want to describe, and even if you have other TV models you know of to mention it compares to in your eyes.

See, here's the question I'm asking myself, and now I'm needing some extra opinions.
This will be mounted in front of my bed, on the wall, which will be about 10 Feet from my eyes. I have 2 options: W900A for SONYs best color, picture & Black levels, OR a 70" R550, and save $600.00.

So, the question is... What is the better trade off, and what will I be able to see the MOST detail in, and be happy with the quality from this distance I am sitting/laying?
Would it be more in my favor to get the lower Contrast etc. 70", or would I love the image in a 55" W900A? (that is the replacement for the HX850)

My fear is that though I was set on only the 55" W900A, now I am concerned with possibly simply needing more size for my room. I have to see every detail because I use it for my PC monitor and PS3/X360. So, I want to make sure I would be completely satisfied with the R550, because I am coming from a SONY XBR, and tho it is a 46", I dont want to desire to toss the 70" out the window because of contrast or color issues.
Any help is much appreciated! smile.gif
post #283 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
can any of the owners confirm that the tv comes with a year of netflix and hulu plus in the box
post #284 of 4276 Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I stopped by my local Best Buy this morning and spoke to a sales guy that I've known for quite awhile. He's a TV nut and really pays attention to who has what etc. I asked him what kind of remarks he's been hearing regarding the 70" 550. He said that a honest 80% said they hated the stand. I must agree. It reminds me of the handle bars on my first Schwinn bike. Really looks tacky on this TV.
post #285 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:

I stopped by my local Best Buy this morning and spoke to a sales guy that I've known for quite awhile. He's a TV nut and really pays attention to who has what etc. I asked him what kind of remarks he's been hearing regarding the 70" 550. He said that a honest 80% said they hated the stand. I must agree. It reminds me of the handle bars on my first Schwinn bike. Really looks tacky on this TV.

A TV this size must be mounted on a wall. It looks fantastic with all the wires hidden + sound bar.
post #286 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Honestly, before reading this I thought that the stand looked kind of slick. But now...

..."handle bars." Cannot be unseen. Ha! smile.gif
post #287 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, the support stand for this TV is shaped like handlebars. However, once the TV is sitting atop a viewing platform the handlebars no longer capture your attention since you tend to view the TV from the front. The lingering, though minor, issue with the support stand is that the screen's image reflects down on the front portion of the stand due to its polished chrome finish, which I find distracting.

post #288 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Yes, the support stand for this TV is shaped like handlebars. However, once the TV is sitting atop a viewing platform the handlebars no longer capture your attention since you tend to view the TV from the front. The lingering, though minor, issue with the support stand is that the screen's image reflects down on the front portion of the stand due to its polished chrome finish, which I find distracting.

These kinds of design errors are just driving me nuts.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #289 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Yeah, don't they use some kind of viewing group to look for first impressions on pretty much all new products? A black TV with a chrome stand???? CHROME in my living room. How 70's. Let's see. A black TV, black speakers, and a chrome spotlight right in the middle. Nah, that won't be distracting at all.
LookN2Find likes this.
post #290 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe Sony got a great deal on a load of surplus chrome handlebars. smile.gif

post #291 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

This is what happens to me with electronics: Buy one POS.........hate it, cave in after 4 months of OCD agony, but can't return it. Try another POS.............hate it, cave in after 4 months of OCD agony, but suddenly realize that the cost of POS1 + POS2 > UBER product.

Why I decided to buy from a local shop, 6 month return policy, they will even order sets they don't carry. Warranty transfers and everything, was kinda hard not to pull the trigger. I picked up one of these KDL-60R550A's Saturday, compared to my 2003 Samsung DLP (which needs a bulb) night and day. I have an RS40 for Movies, this should do the trick for the Living Room.
post #292 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM

It could be worse. biggrin.gif

post #293 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Blame it on the Industrial Design or Marketing guys......my group designs products with a hardcore engineering background emphasizing function and we believe the product should easily blend in with the surroundings or better yet not even be noticed if a visitor stops by. Items that provide function, technical performance and blend in with environment are items people love and will pay up for. Many items will be liked but to be loved they need to blend in.

Inevitably, every single product release some moron from ID or Marketing wants to splash a fricken logo or blaze pink or yellow icon or in this case bright chrome motorcycle ape hanger handle bars onto the product. Seriously, chrome bars on a tv, wtf. I would bet my right nut some idiot in marketing or ID pushed for this stupid chrome bar. So typical of Sony, ability to really hit it out of the park and fall short on the simpliest of items. But, I keep buying Sony gear so maybe I'm the ******.
farkem likes this.
post #294 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM

The worst part about any chrome finish is when the sun hits it and it blinds your eyes.

Sony should of used a matte black or brushed silver finish.

post #295 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Wife Wife Wife. If the wife hates it you're screwed. Lot's of guys grew up with chrome, car engines, car wheels, hand guns, motorcycle stuff. But women??? Not so much. These manufactures better wake up and realize who really controls the money in most families. Even if my wife reluctantly said OK, I'd still forever get THE LOOK! It's just not worth it. Dammmmm, But I still want it. Son Sony Sony bo mony be by my mo mony fi fi fo fony, SONY.
post #296 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wife Wife Wife. If the wife hates it you're screwed. Lot's of guys grew up with chrome, car engines, car wheels, hand guns, motorcycle stuff. But women??? Not so much. These manufactures better wake up and realize who really controls the money in most families. Even if my wife reluctantly said OK, I'd still forever get THE LOOK! It's just not worth it. Dammmmm, But I still want it. Son Sony Sony bo mony be by my mo mony fi fi fo fony, SONY.

Think you meant "sony sony bo bony banana-fana fo foney, me my mo mony, SOny" ? smile.gif

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #297 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, don't they use some kind of viewing group to look for first impressions on pretty much all new products? A black TV with a chrome stand???? CHROME in my living room. How 70's. Let's see. A black TV, black speakers, and a chrome spotlight right in the middle. Nah, that won't be distracting at all.

TLoewenberg likes this.

post #298 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wife Wife Wife. If the wife hates it you're screwed. Lot's of guys grew up with chrome, car engines, car wheels, hand guns, motorcycle stuff. But women??? Not so much. These manufactures better wake up and realize who really controls the money in most families. Even if my wife reluctantly said OK, I'd still forever get THE LOOK! It's just not worth it. Dammmmm, But I still want it.

There *are* aftermarket stands that will fit the 400x400 VESA bolt mounting pattern on the back if it continually drives you nuts.

Or put it on the wall, which is where all TV's should really go anyway IMO. JUST NOT OVER A FIREPLACE....aye yi yi what a mistake that is.
J.J.R.#4 likes this.

post #299 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM

I saw the 50, 60 and 70" R550A's at the Sony Store in New York City yesterday. Very impressive sets for the price. While it's difficult if not impossible to judge the picture quality in a "store" setting, my initial impression was that the PQ was quite good, deep blacks and high contrast ratio, and very good color.

What I couldn't get a handle on though, was overall sharpness and resolution - no point of reference, no possibility of A/B comparison in the store. I'll guess we'll have to wait for an "official" review that includes that.

The stand is unfortunate, but I've seen worse. (looks like someone cuts the legs off a 1950's folding lawn chair). The stand assembly instructions (I dl'd the PDF) show the chrome tubing without the mounting hardware attached, so I guess you could spray paint it, or cover it with gaffer tape before final assembly. Black leather anyone?
post #300 of 4276 Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macshee View Post

The stand is unfortunate, but I've seen worse. (looks like someone cuts the legs off a 1950's folding lawn chair). The stand assembly instructions (I dl'd the PDF) show the chrome tubing without the mounting hardware attached, so I guess you could spray paint it, or cover it with gaffer tape before final assembly. Black leather anyone?

Ton of options out there. Not all of them expensive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flat+panel+stands&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zrR-UbGpDePy0wG064GYCg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=644

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page