Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone confirm if the back light uniformity issues are standard on this set? Should I even bother contacting Sony customer support at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime975 View Post

Boy this buying a new tv is frustrating. I haven't purchased a new tv in about 3 years. I have only owned Sony's over the last 20 years and have never had a broken tv. I don't buy extended warranties with Sonys because I have never needed them. Because of the cost I did purchase a samsung 6400 then I found this site, that thread was like don't buy bad panel, only samsung panel nothing bigger then a 55. I was weary with going for samsung because of the good luck I have had with Sony. So I stopped my order from amazon and went with the 60 sony. I have read most of the 100 pages. Like many have said, it's really up to you. This tv gets awesome ratings on amazon, best buy, and crutchfield. Heck it gets good reviews everywhere by consumers except here. I don't have my tv yet, coming on Friday. Don't know what to expect. It's interesting how this thread customers compare to Vizio or LG. almost nothing on the Samsung 6400. I thought Samsung was considered higher quality them those two, I guess I'm suprised I havent seen more comparisons with Samsung. I guess it really makes me wonder when you see all those great reviews if they don't know a great tv from an average one. I'll guess I'll see on Friday and go from there.

Generally the people who come to AVSForum are already people with more knowledge of what to expect from a TV than your average consumer OR are new members who have come here after googling whatever problem they have found with their set. Either is going to make any set look worse than its reviews anywhere else. My 70" Sony had clouding that I just couldnt accept. I took it back and the 70" was on back order so I opted for the 60" and I am completely content with it. So much in fact that it has replaced my Sharp 70le847u, which is considered a top level set vs the R550a which is considered Sonys entry level (probably considered mid level overall compared to other non big name companies). I would absolutely recommend this set over most others.
post #3153 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

Can anyone confirm if the back light uniformity issues are standard on this set? Should I even bother contacting Sony customer support at this point?

What are you seeing?  The last post I see from you was it laying flat in the bed of your car.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #3154 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

What are you seeing?  The last post I see from you was it laying flat in the bed of your car.

Seeing very similar uneven back lighting to John
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70/2910#post_23934872

I'll add pictures later when I have a chance, but mine are on all 4 corners.
post #3155 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Saw that picture and really CRINGED!! Nothing I would ever think of doing eek.gif.
Gerry
post #3156 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

+1! I don't care in the least that a TV is super thin. My old Toshiba plasma was about 4-5 inches deep, but put out a brighter, bolder image than the new Panasonic plasmas. Yes, it used more energy, but I don't care; I think it only amounted to the equivalent of a 100 watt light bulb. They have ruined the newer Panasonic plasmas in that they are now much more dim than they used to be, and I find myself considering a LED set for the first time. But now I'm deep in research to find a LED set with minimal flashlighting and decent blacks. For a while, I thought the Sony R550 might be that set, but these reports are giving me pause.

Have you considered the very bright for a plasma Samsung F8500? I think you're going to have to go up to a Sony KDL-55W900A/KDL-65W850A if you're concerned about flashlighting and want plasma like blacks.

Then again the CES is only a month away and hopefully sophisticated dimming schemes will integrate down to cheaper models and in my case I'm hoping the F8500 panel becomes available in a cheaper model.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #3157 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Have you considered the very bright for a plasma Samsung F8500? I think you're going to have to go up to a Sony KDL-55W900A/KDL-65W850A if you're concerned about flashlighting and want plasma like blacks.

Then again the CES is only a month away and hopefully sophisticated dimming schemes will integrate down to cheaper models and in my case I'm hoping the F8500 panel becomes available in a cheaper model.

Yes, I considered the Samsung 8500 plasma, until I saw the price! eek.gif I'd love to have one, but not willing to spend ~$3000 for it. I agree the way to go with LED would be the Sony W900A and 65W550A, or Samsung 8000 series, having seen them at several stores. But again, those are getting out of my price range. I ended up ordering a Panasonic 60ST60, which is said to be the brightest of the Panny plasmas, after reading so many great reviews on it. I'll try it out, and if it is sufficiently brighter than my 60S60 was, maybe it will be a keeper. If not, I may have to bite the bullet and ante up for the 65W850A.

post #3158 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

The screen uniformity issue is something associated with all regular edge lit LED/LCD displays. Some are worse than others mainly because of the different costs involved in the manufacturing process. Closer manufacturing tolerances result is less problems but also result in higher costs. Different LED alignment scenarios (side mount and top mount) also play a part. Edge lit is what most of us are forced to live with because that is where all of the manufactures are putting their marketing emphasis. Three other LED technologies are or have been available. Full array, Full array local dimming, and edge lit dimming. Full array local dimming has produced the best PQ but has been discontinued because of manufacturing cost. It seems that the average buyer wants cheap and thin and can live with the short coming of regular edge lit technology.
post #3159 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

The screen uniformity issue is something associated with all regular edge lit LED/LCD displays. Some are worse than others mainly because of the different costs involved in the manufacturing process. Closer manufacturing tolerances result is less problems but also result in higher costs. Different LED alignment scenarios (side mount and top mount) also play a part. Edge lit is what most of us are forced to live with because that is where all of the manufactures are putting their marketing emphasis. Three other LED technologies are or have been available. Full array, Full array local dimming, and edge lit dimming. Full array local dimming has produced the best PQ but has been discontinued because of manufacturing cost. It seems that the average buyer wants cheap and thin and can live with the short coming of regular edge lit technology.

That's a shame. My NX810 was way better with the quality regarding this (but it was a higher end model at the time I guess)
The clouding spots are pretty prominent during those dark scenes though
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

Saw that picture and really CRINGED!! Nothing I would ever think of doing eek.gif.
Gerry

Relax there buddy, if you look the box is open and there is no TV in there. I used my dad's van to pick up this tv. I just wanted to see if the box would fit in my wagon if I wanted to return it for an exchange.
post #3160 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

That's a shame. My NX810 was way better with the quality regarding this (but it was a higher end model at the time I guess)
The clouding spots are pretty prominent during those dark scenes though
Relax there buddy, if you look the box is open and there is no TV in there. I used my dad's van to pick up this tv. I just wanted to see if the box would fit in my wagon if I wanted to return it for an exchange.

I had the xbr4 back when it came up as well as the nx810. The xbr4 was their leading model at the time and even it had major clouding and was 4 times as thick as the nx810. The monolithic design may have somehow helped the 810 as I don't recall it having lots of clouding. I had to send mine back unfortunately because the 3d would go in and out even after swapping numerous boards and emitters.
post #3161 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to point out that local dimming schemes can be very effective in minimizing light leakage on edge lit displays. Sony did so with the KDL HX850 from last year and with the KDL-55W900A this year. Samsung finally got in the game with the F8000. At first glance it appears the KDL W802A has the same Dynamic Edge LED backlighting (Sony's term for dimming I guess) as the KDL-55W900A but they don't as the KDL W802A has "frame" dimming and the KDL-55W900A has "local" dimming and hence the KDL W802A has problems with light leakage. The Vizio "M" series is an example of a panel with a poor local dimming scheme as blooming is atrocious when it's engaged. The point is edge lit designs with an effective local dimming scheme can largely eliminate clouding and flashlighting problems with minimal blooming.

Keep in mind the days of LCDs with CCFLs backlighting were not without screen uniformity issues and were limited in their contrast ratio. The best case scenario would be full array LED backlighting w/local dimming but apparently that design is cost prohibitive but Sony has shown you can have an uniform screen with an edge lit display with local dimming.

If a buyer concerned about top notch PQ does his research especially one coming from a plasma display he or she IMO will undoubtedly find out out about these high end Sony models and to some extent the Samsung F8000. I don't want to start a 4K/UHD ruckus but I would argue Sony's local dimming scheme in their edge lit 4K televisions go further to improve PQ than the increased resolution.

So back to the original question "Can anyone confirm if the back light uniformity issues are standard on this set (KDL-xxR550A)?" I would say yes but you may get lucky and get a panel where it's not so noticeable or not much of a factor for your viewing habits. I provided a link to an article by Geoffrey Morrison of cnet explaining all the possible permutations of LCD backlighting.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57572740-221/led-lcd-backlights-explained/

Samsung PN60E7000
post #3162 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys,

I took a pic of a dark picture in a dark room and this is what I get:

Really considering taking it in for an exchange despite the hassle. I don't think the backlighting should be this bad. Any thoughts guys? Should I contact sony instead?
post #3163 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 11

I just picked one up as well and it has clouding in the bottom right section and upper left section plus some flashlighting... what a shame. I'm hoping they will get another one in the next week to swap out.

Display: Sony 70" KDL-70R550A
AVR: Sony STR-DH740 
Sound: Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV Home Entertainment Speaker System
Smart Box(s):ATV3, WD TV Live
STB: Arris Gateway PVR (Shaw)
Gaming System: Sony PS4
Media Server: 1 TB Lacie NAS (DLNA) 

post #3164 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 08:09 PM

I hooked up my tv today and got to say it looks amazing..

I am annoyed though that a TV such as this did not have blue tooth built in.

Past that i still need to calibrate by TV but i am NOT going to go out of my way to look for blobs, lines etc.

If i have not been able to spot it over the last 5 blu rays i watched then i am not going make an issue out of something i have yet to not see on a normal basis.

either way good buy for me and overall pleased with it.
post #3165 of 4313 Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 PM

Hey everyone I have another question about this TV aside from the clouding & flashing lighting of which I am a victim to as well ... If i managed to get a good one on an exchange (nothing is 100% with edge lit LED I know) then I would like to keep this set as I find it stylish and the pic is decent on it especially for its price point.

How ever -

A couple of things that may have been covered in this threat (it was too long to go through it all) that I'm hoping I could get some feed back on:

Do we think Sony will release an update to support MKV over DLNA vs only USB which it does now? - I talked with the rep on the phone and he seems to think it will but later with an update... I just bought a PS4 which of course has no DLNA support *yet* as it also needs an update... C'mon Sony... 

I think my biggest gripe is the lack of DTS availability on the set. As the USB support MKV files I have DL a few 3D movies to test them out... so far i'm quickly learning that 90%+ of 3D MKV (most common video format in 3D) movies are all encoded in DTS which immediately generates an error on the screen = no audio = frustrated consumer.

Is there anyway from the Sony Service menu you can enable some sort of audio pass thru via the optical out that I could route to my amp? There would be no other way when using the USB into the TV, or DLNA in the TV (sony MKV DLNA computability update pending) or any other codec w/ DTS audio of course.

This means if this cannot be bypassed then therefore the only way to get DTS is by running a DTS compatible blu ray player (I hope the PS4 will eventually do this with firmware updates, as of now it does not support 3D blu ray like the PS3 did... WTF?) direct to your amp.... and on that note i'm guessing you would have to disable ARC on HDMI1 which I am using now which would also suck... Im guessing... Thoughts on this?

Current Audio setup:

KDL-70R550A (HMDI1) <-- ARC/HDMI --> TS913ES (ARC) 

Note: I have tried running the optical out direct to my receiver in hopes that this would allow the DTS to bypass the TV's wrath but I kind of knew that wouldn't work out *sighs* ~ pass thru hack/crack/option?

A bit about my current system:

Display: Sony KDL-70R550A
Audio: LG TS913ES
Smart Box: ATV2

STB: (Shaw) Arris Gateway + 2 portals 
Gaming: PS4

The only other device that I'm running to my TV's HDMI inputs is my ATV2 into HDMI2 and that's only because my TS913ES doesn't have a proper labelled input lol
Otherwise I have ran everything to best utilize ARC, and going thru the receiver to process all of the audio first. (trying to rid of the day of mass collections of optical cables) Note the receiver has 2 optical inputs - TV/Game

post #3166 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well, there aren't many full array that aren't local dimming, because once you get to the cost of full array, not adding the software to control them is silly.  Also, you forgot direct lit, which is still behind the screen but at a much wider spacing using dispersion light guides.  There were some displays I remember being lit from the back in thin line of LED's along the middle, but I consider that to be a variant of edge lit.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #3167 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Looks like we have a number of new owners of this set here (me included). I have been following the recent discussions here about the uneven backlighting and clouding issues with great interest. Here's my impression so far after two days with a 70" unit:

After initial calibration on Saturday, I did some viewing tests with scenes from 2001 (blu-ray). I watched the movie during the evening with all the lights off. First impressions: any scene depicting a starfield in the background was cringe-worthy. There were several noticeable 'blobs', the biggest one located in the top-left quadrant. My old 55" LCD did not exhibit this issue at all (if it did, I didn't notice it). Making a quick subjective comparison with the above image posted by Zoglog a few posts above mine, I don't think mine is quite that bad, but I certainly wasn't happy. Casual viewing during the day, this is pretty much a non-issue. Gaming, not really a problem either. Even at night with the lights on, the clouding isn't too objectionable... but I got this TV to get me a little closer to the immersion of the theater-going experience at home. I didn't want to be watching a movie in a dim/dark room, only to dread every dark scene to come.

So, I spent Sunday night playing with the picture settings, and after about an hour or so, I think I may have actually arrived at something I'm reasonably content with. Longish story short: I turned the blacklight all the way down, and turned on LED Motion. I really have no idea what exactly the LED Motion setting does, other than reducing the image brightness, but the net effect is that clouding is significantly reduced (rough guess, about ~75-80%), at the cost of some image brightness, which I can live with, since this setting will only used when viewing in a darkened room. I'll see if I can capture some test photos later tonight.

Of course, further adjustment and tweaking are still to come. I'll use the other two picture modes to adjust for gaming and non-critical viewing during the day. It also remains to be seen how much I can brighten the image while keeping cloudiness to a minimal level when viewing in 3D (since 3D mode automatically switches to an alternate set of picture settings, defaulting to a really bright screen image to compensate for the glasses), maybe raise the backlight setting few notches while keeping LED Motion on.

Also, during my testing, I came to realize how important having a bias lighting system is when watching in a darkened room. I had one installed on the back of my old TV, but can't use it on my new once since it's mounted much closer to the wall. I'll probably use some type of an IKEA LED rope-light solution his time around.
post #3168 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

Well, there aren't many full array that aren't local dimming, because once you get to the cost of full array, not adding the software to control them is silly.  Also, you forgot direct lit, which is still behind the screen but at a much wider spacing using dispersion light guides.  There were some displays I remember being lit from the back in thin line of LED's along the middle, but I consider that to be a variant of edge lit.
I could be wrong but I don't think anybody offers a full array anymore. Just going by memory I seem to recall that Sharps first 70" and 80" were full array non dimming. My main point was that every single manufacture has decided that we as consumers will accept the draw backs of edge lit non dimming displays and even though they have the expertise to deliver a reasonably good product with minimal screen issues, they will restrict that technology to their top tier models. This of course allows for lower production and higher profits for the top tire models and allows for more mass production of the lower tier models, which the 550A is a part of. You can see this type of tier marketing within every manufacture including Vizio with it's E series and new M series. I continue to be amazed that Sony brought out the 550A series at all, especially with so little fan fare. I mean, it's a Sony, it's available in a 70" version, it's Passive 3D, and it's priced to compete with Vizio. Yet I've still, after a year on the store shelves, seen it even mentioned in the likes of Sound & Vision or Home Theater Magazines (now the two combined to my chagrin). HD Guru told me that he has not reviewed one because Sony has not made one available to him yet. I would think that Sony would be looking at the 550A series as their bread and butter display, especially since they stated that they think Passive 3D is the future.
post #3169 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would think that Sony would be looking at the 550A series as their bread and butter display, especially since they stated that they think Passive 3D is the future.

I'm not sure I ever heard Sony say that quite so declaratively.  I remember them saying words to the effect of "we believe active is superior but we recognize that the public wants passive".  And yet still, the last couple models out of them are active.  Annoying.

post #3170 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 10:29 AM

I bought the 50" R550 and here's what I noticed...

- It won't play files encoded with DTS Audio only (won't play at all, like show the picture without audio... it just says Audio format not supported on a black screen). So hooking up the Optical out to an AV Receiver that does decode DTS will not work.
- It plays MKVs. I put 2 MKVs on a USB stick and plugged it in on the TV and voila, they worked like a charm.
- The Passive 3D is okay, needs some 'depth adjustment' using the remote most of the time otherwise the picture looks out of whack.
post #3171 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Looks like we have a number of new owners of this set here (me included). I have been following the recent discussions here about the uneven backlighting and clouding issues with great interest. Here's my impression so far after two days with a 70" unit:

After initial calibration on Saturday, I did some viewing tests with scenes from 2001 (blu-ray). I watched the movie during the evening with all the lights off. First impressions: any scene depicting a starfield in the background was cringe-worthy. There were several noticeable 'blobs', the biggest one located in the top-left quadrant. My old 55" LCD did not exhibit this issue at all (if it did, I didn't notice it). Making a quick subjective comparison with the above image posted by Zoglog a few posts above mine, I don't think mine is quite that bad, but I certainly wasn't happy. Casual viewing during the day, this is pretty much a non-issue. Gaming, not really a problem either. Even at night with the lights on, the clouding isn't too objectionable... but I got this TV to get me a little closer to the immersion of the theater-going experience at home. I didn't want to be watching a movie in a dim/dark room, only to dread every dark scene to come.

So, I spent Sunday night playing with the picture settings, and after about an hour or so, I think I may have actually arrived at something I'm reasonably content with. Longish story short: I turned the blacklight all the way down, and turned on LED Motion. I really have no idea what exactly the LED Motion setting does, other than reducing the image brightness, but the net effect is that clouding is significantly reduced (rough guess, about ~75-80%), at the cost of some image brightness, which I can live with, since this setting will only used when viewing in a darkened room. I'll see if I can capture some test photos later tonight.

Of course, further adjustment and tweaking are still to come. I'll use the other two picture modes to adjust for gaming and non-critical viewing during the day. It also remains to be seen how much I can brighten the image while keeping cloudiness to a minimal level when viewing in 3D (since 3D mode automatically switches to an alternate set of picture settings, defaulting to a really bright screen image to compensate for the glasses), maybe raise the backlight setting few notches while keeping LED Motion on.

Also, during my testing, I came to realize how important having a bias lighting system is when watching in a darkened room. I had one installed on the back of my old TV, but can't use it on my new once since it's mounted much closer to the wall. I'll probably use some type of an IKEA LED rope-light solution his time around.

My thought exactly, I'll agree that 80% of the time it's not a big issue. However every dark scene makes me go wtf. As you guys see on my set it's pretty hideous. I can't even imagine watching a movie like Gravity when that comes out on blu-ray. I did notice that turning up brightness lowers the visibility of the flashlights but basically you're ruining your blacks and everything gets washed out in the process.

Quote:

I'm not sure I ever heard Sony say that quite so declaratively.  I remember them saying words to the effect of "we believe active is superior but we recognize that the public wants passive".  And yet still, the last couple models out of them are active.  Annoying.

While Active did look a bit better, my NX810 suffered from way more ghosting and it got even worse any time your head tilted the slightest. Plus the eyestrain from active is noticeable over time. The ease of passive has won me over.
post #3172 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobinn View Post

The Passive 3D is okay, needs some 'depth adjustment' using the remote most of the time otherwise the picture looks out of whack.

Did you tell your blu-ray player what size TV you have?  My Sony BDB-S590 has that setting for that, and that should set a baseline convergence distance.  (I think).

sukh77 likes this.

post #3173 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Did you tell your blu-ray player what size TV you have?  My Sony BDB-S590 has that setting for that, and that should set a baseline convergence distance.  (I think).

Thanks... I played the movie using a locally plugged in USB stick...

BTW, anyone try hanging a portable hard drive off it? Any luck?

TIA!
post #3174 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyMichael View Post

Hey everyone I have another question about this TV aside from the clouding & flashing lighting of which I am a victim to as well ... If i managed to get a good one on an exchange (nothing is 100% with edge lit LED I know) then I would like to keep this set as I find it stylish and the pic is decent on it especially for its price point.

How ever -

A couple of things that may have been covered in this threat (it was too long to go through it all) that I'm hoping I could get some feed back on:

Do we think Sony will release an update to support MKV over DLNA vs only USB which it does now? - I talked with the rep on the phone and he seems to think it will but later with an update... I just bought a PS4 which of course has no DLNA support *yet* as it also needs an update... C'mon Sony... 

I think my biggest gripe is the lack of DTS availability on the set. As the USB support MKV files I have DL a few 3D movies to test them out... so far i'm quickly learning that 90%+ of 3D MKV (most common video format in 3D) movies are all encoded in DTS which immediately generates an error on the screen = no audio = frustrated consumer.

Is there anyway from the Sony Service menu you can enable some sort of audio pass thru via the optical out that I could route to my amp? There would be no other way when using the USB into the TV, or DLNA in the TV (sony MKV DLNA computability update pending) or any other codec w/ DTS audio of course.

This means if this cannot be bypassed then therefore the only way to get DTS is by running a DTS compatible blu ray player (I hope the PS4 will eventually do this with firmware updates, as of now it does not support 3D blu ray like the PS3 did... WTF?) direct to your amp.... and on that note i'm guessing you would have to disable ARC on HDMI1 which I am using now which would also suck... Im guessing... Thoughts on this?

Current Audio setup:

KDL-70R550A (HMDI1) <-- ARC/HDMI --> TS913ES (ARC) 

Note: I have tried running the optical out direct to my receiver in hopes that this would allow the DTS to bypass the TV's wrath but I kind of knew that wouldn't work out *sighs* ~ pass thru hack/crack/option?

A bit about my current system:

Display: Sony KDL-70R550A
Audio: LG TS913ES
Smart Box: ATV2

STB: (Shaw) Arris Gateway + 2 portals 
Gaming: PS4

The only other device that I'm running to my TV's HDMI inputs is my ATV2 into HDMI2 and that's only because my TS913ES doesn't have a proper labelled input lol
Otherwise I have ran everything to best utilize ARC, and going thru the receiver to process all of the audio first. (trying to rid of the day of mass collections of optical cables) Note the receiver has 2 optical inputs - TV/Game

MKV with DTS - You can use UMS (Universal Medial Server).  I have created a conf file that works with most formats on this tv the file is available at the UMS forums.  This will allow you to play DTS, but its transcoded to a format that will work on the TV.

ARC question - You don't have to disable the ARC function, I don't think you can actually.  It just works or it doesn't if your HDMI-cable/tv/avr support it.

Sony KDL-70R550A

Sony STR-DN1030

post #3175 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

as usual Sony customer support is unhelpful, decided to give it a try. Of course they asked me stupid questions about how if it was my source, if I could pull up the menu... sigh
post #3176 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM

• sukh77 - Thanks your reply! :)

Sorry I should have added a bit more about my setup - I'm currently streaming all of my movies from my NAS (Lacie 1TB NetworkSpace2, 301515KUA) which runs a very low processing power in its self - I was looking of trying to install the Serviio NAS installation onto it but after reading other peoples attempts its not worth it + nearly impossible to do not to mention the low CPU power would be useless for transcoding anything.

I have tried to configure (with little success) Serviio on my MacBook to point back to my NAS  via mynas (similar to dyndns) including opening up the required ports on my router.... Big headache and still troubleshooting. 

I just DL UMS, and I don't see anything that would allow you to point to a NAS. This app looks like it would only be for sharing media on the machine that it's installed on. Please let me know if it can be done and how :)

... Any takers on knowing if a pass thu can be setup using your optical out direct to the amp?

post #3177 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 PM

lol sorry i cut/paste your name i didnt know the hyper link followed.

post #3178 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

One could surmise that most customers don't mind the drawbacks of your basic edge lit design. And eventually more models will be offered with effective dimming schemes.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #3179 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I took photos of a few different picture adjustment settings for comparative purposes. The first photo is my custom setting with LED Motion turned OFF (which is the default setting), the second photo is the same custom setting with LED Motion turned ON (what I'm currently experimenting with now for watching movies). Just for the heck of it, the 3rd photo is the default Vivid mode setting. The bright white square on the bottom left is the pause icon (I'm using a PS3 as my blu-ray player).

The clouding depicted isn't exactly how it appears to the eye - my photos had terrible moire, so I blurred it out, but they're still useful in terms of comparing the relative differences between images, since the same camera settings and processing were used for all of them. In person, the cloudiness is more splotchy and distinct.

While the picture with LED Motion turned ON is noticeably darker, it also reduces the cloudiness by a significant amount. Definitely not a setting one would want to use during the day, but may work in a darkened environment.
post #3180 of 4313 Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

The bright white square on the bottom left is the pause icon (I'm using a PS3 as my blu-ray player).

Ok, hold on.  As long as there is something bright like that on the screen, then the frame dimming cannot engage very far (because it would squash what needs to be drawn---the bright white).  I forget which setting it is that actually turns frame dimming on and off, but even if on, if you have any part of the screen maxed out, it cannot dim the rest of it.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page