Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Member
 
TLoewenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshee View Post

I saw the 50, 60 and 70" R550A's at the Sony Store in New York City yesterday. Very impressive sets for the price. While it's difficult if not impossible to judge the picture quality in a "store" setting, my initial impression was that the PQ was quite good, deep blacks and high contrast ratio, and very good color.

What I couldn't get a handle on though, was overall sharpness and resolution - no point of reference, no possibility of A/B comparison in the store. I'll guess we'll have to wait for an "official" review that includes that.

The stand is unfortunate, but I've seen worse. (looks like someone cuts the legs off a 1950's folding lawn chair). The stand assembly instructions (I dl'd the PDF) show the chrome tubing without the mounting hardware attached, so I guess you could spray paint it, or cover it with gaffer tape before final assembly. Black leather anyone?

Can you spray paint directly over the chrome finish? An earlier poster showed a can of Montana Black. I would think you'd have to prep the surface: sanding, primer, et al?
TLoewenberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLoewenberg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by macshee View Post

I saw the 50, 60 and 70" R550A's at the Sony Store in New York City yesterday. Very impressive sets for the price. While it's difficult if not impossible to judge the picture quality in a "store" setting, my initial impression was that the PQ was quite good, deep blacks and high contrast ratio, and very good color.

What I couldn't get a handle on though, was overall sharpness and resolution - no point of reference, no possibility of A/B comparison in the store. I'll guess we'll have to wait for an "official" review that includes that.

The stand is unfortunate, but I've seen worse. (looks like someone cuts the legs off a 1950's folding lawn chair). The stand assembly instructions (I dl'd the PDF) show the chrome tubing without the mounting hardware attached, so I guess you could spray paint it, or cover it with gaffer tape before final assembly. Black leather anyone?

Can you spray paint directly over the chrome finish? An earlier poster showed a can of Montana Black. I would think you'd have to prep the surface: sanding, primer, et al?

That earlier poster was joking. Besides, you'll have a hard time keeping the warranty alive with that idea.

There are non-adhesive decals and stuff that might work, but frankly, I think one of the mounting stands is a better idea. Several of them are pretty small, and don't have shelves, etc., with them, but are just stands. And they mount securely on the same bolts you'd use to mount the thing on a wall.

If you *don't* care about the warranty, then don't use the paint picture I posted, just use any Rustoleum metal paint, flat black. It'll probably stay on fine, and it's not on a place that will receive any routine pounding. If you have OCD, then quick-sand the entire surface to put a fine etching on it first. Just don't blame me one way or the other....I'm not officially suggesting anything here. You're on your own, and remember: my strongest suggestion here is to not do any of this and just buy a new stand.

Come to think of it, I wonder what that brushed look would look like......

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #303 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sgooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Space Coast, FL
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Found an extra Harley bar & shield backrest plate that will look great centered up on the handlebars - more chrome fixes many flaws. wink.gif

Please enter password to view this signature.
Sgooter is offline  
 
post #304 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Perhaps the least costly and not necessarily permanent way would be going to a auto parts store and buying the appropriate size flat black stick on racing stripe.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #305 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Member
 
LeahOlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony KDL-50R550A 50-Inch 120Hz 1080p LED HDTV

in the comparisson table it shows the 802 model having the same features but improved sound with "bass reflex cabinet", anyone have experience with these and if they are worth the money? we only watch movies on the surround system , everything else internal speakers.
LeahOlin is offline  
post #306 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Do-It-Yourself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In a house far away from you creeps (hopefully)
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Lev Arn View Post

It could be worse. biggrin.gif


WTF IS THAT
Do-It-Yourself is offline  
post #307 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Member
 
LookN2Find's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can wrap the bar in electrical tape, or even simply scuff it and paint it, or take the bar to a bodyshop and they should be able to paint & bake it that day. Your warranty on how your TV functions will not be void if your bar is painted. Most are using wall mounts, or some form of a hanging mount and when a TV is being repaired they do not ask to see your handle bars. smile.gif
LookN2Find is offline  
post #308 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Member
 
CalebLevArn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

WTF IS THAT

Extra W I D E handle bars. tongue.gif

I modified the sony R550 and put the samsung F8000 stand on it instead.
LookN2Find likes this.

CalebLevArn is offline  
post #309 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Just go to Lowe's and buy a can of plasti-dip. Spray it black, and then if you don't like it, it peels right off. It's a flat black color when dry. You can also use it as a base coat, then paint over it with gloss black if you prefer, and it will still peel off if you don't like the end result.
Radio81 is online now  
post #310 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Just go to Lowe's and buy a can of plasti-dip. Spray it black, and then if you don't like it, it peels right off. It's a flat black color when dry. You can also use it as a base coat, then paint over it with gloss black if you prefer, and it will still peel off if you don't like the end result.

Hey! Thanks for that tip. I've been looking for a product just like that for a long time!

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #311 of 4423 Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
No problem, man. IIRC, plasti-dip's primary intent was to be used for replacing or adding grips to old hand tools like wrenches and ratchets, but it will also adhere to plastic. And once it dries, it peels off very easily with little to no residue left behind. I keep a can of it in the garage.
Radio81 is online now  
post #312 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

No problem, man. IIRC, plasti-dip's primary intent was to be used for replacing or adding grips to old hand tools like wrenches and ratchets, but it will also adhere to plastic. And once it dries, it peels off very easily with little to no residue left behind. I keep a can of it in the garage.


I wonder if the solvent it uses will interact with the metal and discolor it. You'd be amazed at what permanently stains even stainless steel. (Spoken by someone who's made some experimental mistakes).

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #313 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 406
It won't be long before you'll be able to directly compare the 70" Sony, Vizio, and Sharps side by side in your local Costco store. Sony with no track record in this venue( 70" Passive 3D) and Sharp with lots and lots of experience in this size range (several models but all Active 3D) and Vizio trying to knock down the doors with innovative features and a small track record with the "E Series". Bang for the buck. That's what most are really looking for I think. If you can get any of the tree for around $2K by late Fall it could be a lot of fun for the big screen shopper. Could the stand be a factor with the Sony? Could the active 3D glasses be a minus for the Sharps? Could Vizio out price them both? How will they compare PQ wise? I'll base my choice on PQ alone (2D and 3D).
andy sullivan is offline  
post #314 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I wonder if the solvent it uses will interact with the metal and discolor it. You'd be amazed at what permanently stains even stainless steel. (Spoken by someone who's made some experimental mistakes).

Not sure I follow. Solvents remove plasti-dip.
Radio81 is online now  
post #315 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I wonder if the solvent it uses will interact with the metal and discolor it. You'd be amazed at what permanently stains even stainless steel. (Spoken by someone who's made some experimental mistakes).

Not sure I follow. Solvents remove plasti-dip.

Yes, and for that very reason they are used as the carrying vehicle for many things. We tend to think of solvents as cleaners, and they quite often are. But solvents are defined as a substance for putting and keeping things in solution form, and they are often used to keep that thing (whatever it is) remaining un-cured in the container. As a result, the very same solvent used within nail-polish can work very well in nail-polish remover.

Trust me. If you're truly intent on removing it someday, you're going to want to verify that it doesn't do anything to that metal coating first. Maybe someplace underneath, or on the panel-side of the mounting section? smile.gif And then cross your fingers that nothing happens over time. But I wouldn't worry about it. It's just the stand after all, and you could replace that if you had to. Besides, the more I think about it, the less I can imagine anyone quibbling over the panel warranty because the stand got stained----makes less and less sense.

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #316 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Anyone else like me: completely convinced they're going to buy it 10 minutes before it goes on monster sale and/or turns out to have 100 terrible reviews?

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #317 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Yes, and for that very reason they are used as the carrying vehicle for many things. We tend to think of solvents as cleaners, and they quite often are. But solvents are defined as a substance for putting and keeping things in solution form, and they are often used to keep that thing (whatever it is) remaining un-cured in the container. As a result, the very same solvent used within nail-polish can work very well in nail-polish remover.

Trust me. If you're truly intent on removing it someday, you're going to want to verify that it doesn't do anything to that metal coating first. Maybe someplace underneath, or on the panel-side of the mounting section? smile.gif And then cross your fingers that nothing happens over time. But I wouldn't worry about it. It's just the stand after all, and you could replace that if you had to. Besides, the more I think about it, the less I can imagine anyone quibbling over the panel warranty because the stand got stained----makes less and less sense.

I see what you mean, but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. If you look online, a ton of people are using this for various automotive purposes, whether it’s covering their entire vehicle, or just some chrome trim.

Regardless, that stand is horrendous, IMO.
Radio81 is online now  
post #318 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Anyone else like me: completely convinced they're going to buy it 10 minutes before it goes on monster sale and/or turns out to have 100 terrible reviews?

Yes, I am that way as well. It happens when you tend to read every review available before purchasing anything.
Radio81 is online now  
post #319 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Well, I'm also spooked about getting the early hardware that might change dramatically mid year.

I suppose this could go on forever.

But I just remember spending just about every available hour in a month 2 years ago trying to get a @#$%ing Samsung UN46C6300 to behave only to have to resort to returning it. And the reviews for that thing were great. Samsung's panel lottery bit me pretty hard. BIG learning experience.

But if I wait any longer this year, then the next sale is around the corner. And then Moth Eye will be available cheaply, And then and then and then and then and then.........................................

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #320 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Regardless, that stand is horrendous, IMO.

No, that stand is just "not good".

THIS stand however pushes the horen-do-meter to 11:


The Samsung design team must've spent all of 2012 in a haze of dope to come up with that @#$%ing thing this year.

I mean seriously, look at this thing:


It makes my skin crawl.

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #321 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 4,120
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Pretty bad but can you imagine it in glorious CHROME? Forget skin crawl, mine would jump right off my body.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #322 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Pretty bad but can you imagine it in glorious CHROME? Forget skin crawl, mine would jump right off my body.

This thing close enough?


Actually I can't stand the design, but between this and black, I'll take this one. For about 1/10th of second before I remove it, bring it to the garage, and hammer it flat.

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #323 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Yeah, I think we all agree it's an eyesore. I bought one of these stands + mount a couple of years ago

Radio81 is online now  
post #324 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Yeah, I think we all agree it's an eyesore. I bought one of these stands + mount a couple of years ago


LOL......how old a picture is that? It looks like the original $13,000 Philips.

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #325 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Radio81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Haha not sure, but that's the only pic I could find on google. I bought the stand at best buy in 2011.
Radio81 is online now  
post #326 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sgooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Space Coast, FL
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 103
FWIW: The R550A series TVs are not yet fully supported in the Harmony universal remote's online device database. However, I just programmed my H1 using a similar Sony 3D Smart TV (KDL-55HX850) from their database. It's working fine and fully integrated (in harmony) with the other 14 pieces of A/V equipment in my HT. Neither the Harmony remote nor the -70R550A can tell the difference. Shh...don't tell them.

Please enter password to view this signature.
Sgooter is offline  
post #327 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

FWIW: The R550A series TVs are not yet fully supported in the Harmony universal remote's online device database. However, I just programmed my H1 using a similar Sony 3D Smart TV (KDL-55HX850) from their database. It's working fine and fully integrated (in harmony) with the other 14 pieces of A/V equipment in my HT. Neither the Harmony remote nor the -70R550A can tell the difference. Shh...don't tell them.

How's the 550 wearing on you? Still good, or are you irritated? Things with LG tended to start off with a love affair that quickly went sour.

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
post #328 of 4423 Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Newbie
 
Steve Leeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea I would like to know that as well.
Steve Leeds is offline  
post #329 of 4423 Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sgooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Space Coast, FL
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

How's the 550 wearing on you? Still good, or are you irritated? Things with LG tended to start off with a love affair that quickly went sour.
So far, everything about this TV has been very good except for off-axis performance, which if you are outside an approximate 90 degree cone, the picture begins to wash out. So, I have to decide if that's acceptable given how often (or less) our family and friends will be sitting outside that cone. The related issue is if I reject this TV, then my next choice would be the Panasonic TC-P65VT60 plasma; however, each time I've seen it at BestBuy the whites are a dull gray, even in the Vivid picture mode. As they say, life is about compromises. WRT LG, we have a nearly 2-yr old 47" LG LED 3D in our bedroom, and I was able to access the service codes to activate the THX modes; picture is truly superb and overall performance has been excellent.

Please enter password to view this signature.
Sgooter is offline  
post #330 of 4423 Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sorry, chances are excellent that you're an idiot.
Posts: 9,855
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

How's the 550 wearing on you? Still good, or are you irritated? Things with LG tended to start off with a love affair that quickly went sour.
So far, everything about this TV has been very good except for off-axis performance, which if you are outside an approximate 90 degree cone, the picture begins to wash out. So, I have to decide if that's acceptable given how often (or less) our family and friends will be sitting outside that cone. The related issue is if I reject this TV, then my next choice would be the Panasonic TC-P65VT60 plasma; however, each time I've seen it at BestBuy the whites are a dull gray, even in the Vivid picture mode. As they say, life is about compromises. WRT LG, we have a nearly 2-yr old 47" LG LED 3D in our bedroom, and I was able to access the service codes to activate the THX modes; picture is truly superb and overall performance has been excellent.

Keep in mind:
  1. The sets at Best Buy are seldom calibrated
  2. You're viewing something in absurd viewing conditions if not in the darkened Magnolia room, which has it's own pitfall---it's too good.
  3. If you're viewing the thing in proximity to any LCD, it's going to be an unfair relative measure---which you can't help but doing. The LCD's are almost certainly providing over-the-top whites.

That said, I saw a VT50 (last year's bad boy) in the Magnolia room and the whites were far from anything muted. Does that mean anything? Nope.

But there are a ton of high-end videophiles swearing by the VT50 (most claim it the best picture of 2012), and they understand color science up-down-left-right. If whites were inherently bad on that beast, you'd hear about it from the mountain tops. The VT60 seems to have gotten similar accolades.

Either 1. put the TV on a mount that can rotate out L/R 10° or more for the size 550 you got (some apparently go fairly close to the wall when against it), or 2. get a plasma...at the prices they are right now you are going to be fairly safe. The only thing about the moving mounts is that I don't trust that they are tight enough to keep the screen level (I honestly don't know---I've never seen one in person), but I understand engineering enough to know how metal works, particularly over time.

Call it a kind of engineering-OCD.

You're the wife. You're the dead wife. Give me my @#$%ing coin, dead wife.
-Mad Sweeney
tgm1024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off