Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3421 of 4313 Old 12-22-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, the glasses parallel to the screen was what I was saying, but I wasn't implying that it was by any means the entirety of the story.

1st, you cannot get past the viewing angle issue inherent in passive.  There is an FPR (film patterned retarder) that has to cover the correct scanline.  If you are too far above or below the TV (outside the vertical viewing angle) then you will start to have the wrong scanline leak out around the filter line meant for it.  Can't get around that.  Has nothing to do with angle of the glasses.

2nd, Even if you have the glasses parallel to the screen, the issue is really that you want the light to travel perpendicular through them. (This was my speculation.  It's based on the idea that the circular polarization looses it's geometry on angle.  But I honestly am not sure).



I see. That image you posted, the bottom picture where it shows a viewer off the the left side by a lot? I am no where near that degree from the screen. In that picture I am further back and the top of the circle is even with the bottom point of the "tv". I'm at a much less extreme angle. But I could see how 3D would be affected using that graph. I just didn't expect it would be effected at such a mild angle that I view at. I'm done with the 3D talk, I accept it. I have tested more extreme angles on my panny and it handles them better than this set. But that's ok, I don't mind sitting up straight for flawless 3D.

One last thing, when I sit on the chair on the right side, which is much more off angle, even though it loses some of the 3D depth, it doesn't add ghosting. I'm guessing the main thing was my head needs to be turned toward the television?

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3422 of 4313 Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Avatar, OZ: Great and Powerful, ICE Age 4, have all been excellent.  I haven't been unhappy with anything 3D on this set really.

Avatar and OZ happen to be really great 3D movies. And I agree, they look pretty amazing on the Sony. Especially the 70". I'm very happy with it. Really look forward to rewatching some of my favorite 3D movies again. Recently bought Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Pacific Rim, Monster's University, and Dredd. Haven't seen any of those yet. If you want another wow movie get Jurassic Park 3D they did an amazing job converting it and it's one of the best 3D demo movies out there. I also like the original Wizard of Oz it is also a great conversion.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3423 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I would have bought one of the 65" panny plasma's on the way out, about the same price. But the 5" and passive 3D, plus babying a plasma was too much of a kicker for me.

It will never match the VT60, but this Sony's black levels are actually pretty good. I've got mine looking pretty nice in that regard.
loader963 likes this.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3424 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Member
 
shawnb44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read cnets review for this tv can somebody explain what this means to me. Does it mean this TV can't properly play 1080p/24 blu ray movies properly?



" Video processing: The Sony was decent but not spectacular in this category, and as usual with Sony you'll have to choose between maximum motion resolution and correct 1080p/24 film cadence.

The TV was able to get 1200 lines of resolution with Motionflow engaged in both Standard and High, but in addition to the soap opera effect, both modes exhibited significant artifacts such as blurring and "twinkling" in the cross-hatched patterns. Without Motionflow's smoothing enabled, the R520 only managed 300 lines of resolution, but did correctly handle 1080p/24.

When watching films, the Sony is able to resolve 1080i content quite well with only some very minor shimmering artifacts with the 1080i Film Resolution Loss Test, and no moire in the stands.

If you're using this screen for gaming, then enabling Game mode will reduce the lag to 31.9 milliseconds which is a "Good" result compared to other flat-panel TVs. The Sony W900 and X802A scored significantly better, but 31.9 isn't half bad."
shawnb44 is offline  
post #3425 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 867
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No, the glasses parallel to the screen was what I was saying, but I wasn't implying that it was by any means the entirety of the story.

1st, you cannot get past the viewing angle issue inherent in passive.  There is an FPR (film patterned retarder) that has to cover the correct scanline.  If you are too far above or below the TV (outside the vertical viewing angle) then you will start to have the wrong scanline leak out around the filter line meant for it.  Can't get around that.  Has nothing to do with angle of the glasses.

2nd, Even if you have the glasses parallel to the screen, the issue is really that you want the light to travel perpendicular through them. (This was my speculation.  It's based on the idea that the circular polarization looses it's geometry on angle.  But I honestly am not sure).


I see. That image you posted, the bottom picture where it shows a viewer off the the left side by a lot?

 

 

No, below the screen (because of your comment), and I'm questioning whether or not I should have posted it at all, because people only quickly reading through this might not understand the full conversation around it.  I'm addressing your question of being anywhere vertically "so long as the glasses are parallel", which isn't what I was saying.  The drawing above is an exaggeration: I was trying to show how I wasn't sure if the polarization would work if the angle of incidence wasn't close to 90.

 

 

Quote:

One last thing, when I sit on the chair on the right side, which is much more off angle, even though it loses some of the 3D depth, it doesn't add ghosting. I'm guessing the main thing was my head needs to be turned toward the television?

 

 

Keep in mind this: Passive was designed by alternating scanlines.  This yields a critically important benefit to those to the left and right of the TV.  For the most part the passive filtering is forgiving of left-right off-angles because as you move left and right, the FPR still optically covers the correct scanline.  This is very important: people don't tend to view things sitting on each other's shoulders looking like a totem pole, they tend to spread themselves left and right across a couch, or room.

 

Further, the "ghosting" you're seeing, if I understand you correctly, is most commonly referred to as "crosstalk".  It basically happens whenever left eye information leaks into the right eye and vice-versa.  There are some that insist that you cannot completely eliminate all cross talk, because polarized filters (even circularly polarized ones) cannot 100% block reverse polarization light when bright enough.  While this technically may be true, it's still the case that not all glasses are created equal, and I'm curious as to how well certain manufacturers match up their glasses.

 

For instance, in another thread, one person claimed that the Sony passive glasses were as good or better than the $60 Oakley passive glasses.  Ok, good news for us.  But there are more than LG in the game now, so I have to wonder if some FPR & glasses pairings are better than others.  On my 60R550A, I've detected a small amount of crosstalk with very bright objects.

 

But be careful though: Sometimes people confuse crosstalk with the natural convergence of an object at an extreme distance from the screen.  If you have something floating in the middle of your living room, it'll naturally be slightly tougher for you to get the L&R images to fuse together (it requires a stronger crossing of the eyes), and if you're focusing on objects placed behind the screen, those objects flying around in your living room objects will appear doubled. This is like holding your finger up and focusing on a tree outside; you'll see two fingers.  And that is not crosstalk.


Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #3426 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Thanks for the explanation. By the way, have any of you bought Despicable Me 2? See the ending credits (or menu screen) where they blow bubbles? I got tons of ghosting. I'm wondering if there is ANY tv that can display those bubbles without separation.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3427 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
HGN2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've only watched one 3-D movie, THE POLAR EXPRESS, and it looked really great. I've not generally been a fan of 3-D movies specifically, but it's a neat technology to play with.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline  
post #3428 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Corrupted Mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I am returning my Samsung F6400 due to some major clouding issues. This whole clouding thing sucks... I know you can't get a perfect TV but spending $1300 on a TV I should get a nice even screen. I know it can't be a perfect black like plasmas... Just no clouding is what I want!

Anyways my question is that CNET states that the Sony R520 and R550 outperforms the Samsung 6 Series and 7 Series in terms of picture quality. All I care about is the picture quality. I can care less about dumb smart features that are practically on every device out there in terms of netflix and streaming video through DLNA devices.

Owners of this TV do you enjoy this TV's picture quality? I'm considering getting this Sony R520, Panasonic E60 (LED), or taking my chances getting another Samsung TV from Costco. I hear the Panasonic is great too. But is the R520 is better than the more expensive Samsung 7100 I would say it's a done deal if it is! Please help me decide! I've gone through a few posts and pages but don't have time to go through the 100 pages on this forum. Thanks!
Corrupted Mind is offline  
post #3429 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Member
 
synnyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought my 70R550A from Frys on Black Friday for $1500. So far I have been pretty happy with it. Yes, I have clouding on my TV near the corners. You can see this usually at the start of a movie where it is all black and you get the intro text. Is it noticeable? Yes, it is. If you are really anal about that sort of thing, then maybe this TV is not for you. But while watching a movie, I have yet to really notice it at all. The picture quality on this TV is amazing. It is heads and shoulders better than my old Scarlet LG LCD I got about 5 years ago. I am even impressed how will the motionflow works without giving that really bad SOE. I watched some Dredd through netflix on the TV last night and it was pretty amazing how clear everything was. I can only imagine how great the TV will look and sound after I set up my Sony 1040 AVR and hooked it up to the BDP5100 I also have. I have yet to try to "massage" the cloudiness out as some people have suggested. But as of now, I am very happy with my TV.
synnyster is offline  
post #3430 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Member
 
Corrupted Mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by synnyster View Post

Bought my 70R550A from Frys on Black Friday for $1500. So far I have been pretty happy with it. Yes, I have clouding on my TV near the corners. You can see this usually at the start of a movie where it is all black and you get the intro text. Is it noticeable? Yes, it is. If you are really anal about that sort of thing, then maybe this TV is not for you. But while watching a movie, I have yet to really notice it at all. The picture quality on this TV is amazing. It is heads and shoulders better than my old Scarlet LG LCD I got about 5 years ago. I am even impressed how will the motionflow works without giving that really bad SOE. I watched some Dredd through netflix on the TV last night and it was pretty amazing how clear everything was. I can only imagine how great the TV will look and sound after I set up my Sony 1040 AVR and hooked it up to the BDP5100 I also have. I have yet to try to "massage" the cloudiness out as some people have suggested. But as of now, I am very happy with my TV.



Here is the clouding on my Samsung F6400 that I am returning. To be honest it does bother me pretty bad ha. I want the cinema bars to be black only on movies. Kinda hard to come by. I know it's hard to get a TV that has no Clouding but I hope I get a luck of the draw that is a lot better than the one I have. I'll check the TV out at Costco. I want to get the 60in. It's going for $1399 right now I think. Trying to find the best deal. I was hoping maybe the day before Christmas Costco would do something ha.
Corrupted Mind is offline  
post #3431 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Member
 
synnyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Mind View Post



Here is the clouding on my Samsung F6400 that I am returning. To be honest it does bother me pretty bad ha. I want the cinema bars to be black only on movies. Kinda hard to come by. I know it's hard to get a TV that has no Clouding but I hope I get a luck of the draw that is a lot better than the one I have. I'll check the TV out at Costco. I want to get the 60in. It's going for $1399 right now I think. Trying to find the best deal. I was hoping maybe the day before Christmas Costco would do something ha.

The clouding on your TV looks pretty awful. I cannot even see clouding during the day on my TV. I can only see it at night when I have all the lights turned off. Even in dark scenes during movies I don't see it. It really is only when I start a movie up and the intros are pitch black.
synnyster is offline  
post #3432 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Member
 
Corrupted Mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by synnyster View Post

The clouding on your TV looks pretty awful. I cannot even see clouding during the day on my TV. I can only see it at night when I have all the lights turned off. Even in dark scenes during movies I don't see it. It really is only when I start a movie up and the intros are pitch black.

Yeah my camera probably intensifies it a little but yeah it's worst of course during dark screens. I've managed to mess with the calibration a bit to help out a lot but it's still pretty bad. Does this TV give a good bright picture (one that pops)? does it handle pretty well during the day too?
Corrupted Mind is offline  
post #3433 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Member
 
synnyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Mind View Post

Yeah my camera probably intensifies it a little but yeah it's worst of course during dark screens. I've managed to mess with the calibration a bit to help out a lot but it's still pretty bad. Does this TV give a good bright picture (one that pops)? does it handle pretty well during the day too?

After doing some tweaking I think I've got the picture the way I want it. I don't have it set to pop like a display in a bright room in a retail store. I normally watch in the evenings so it is plenty bright for me. In the day it works fine as well. I am really amazed at the PQ though. My wife thinks it looks great.
synnyster is offline  
post #3434 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Yeah that clouding is terrible and completely unacceptable. I have a little bit of flashlighting and clouding but I only ever notice it when switching sources or on black or blue switch/load screens.

As far as the picture quality, it is amazing. And the black levels are pretty damn good. I have been watching Mother knows best on Tangled and the characters are bright and sharp and the black is really black. Very nice.

If anyone remembers that grainyness I was getting a page back? Well it's completely gone now. I have 2 BD players. A DMP-BDT220 and an older but more expensive DMP-BDT350. I am selling one with my other TV but decided to keep the 350. Because when I compared 3D with the same movie the 350 actually seemed to make 3D quality just a tad better. It might just be the settings I had on the BD player. But speaking of settings. That was the most recent thing I have been messing with. My BD player settings. I changed some HDMI options. From auto resolution to 1080p. From whatever it was to 24p cinema. And from YcGrBwhatever it was to RGB mode (advanced). And that REALLY seemed to do the trick. Now there is ABSOLUTELY NO grainyness. Avatar went from looking OK to outfreakin standing. And the grain in that Hunger Games picture is almost entirely gone. Just a LITTLE bit on her face which I think is just how it normally looks, but the background behind her is completely pitch black. I will take a picture and post the before and after so you can see how important blu ray player settings actually are, lol.

Now if I can only improve quality on the comcast-HD channels I wiould be 1000% satisfied with this set.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3435 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Mind View Post

Yeah my camera probably intensifies it a little but yeah it's worst of course during dark screens. I've managed to mess with the calibration a bit to help out a lot but it's still pretty bad. Does this TV give a good bright picture (one that pops)? does it handle pretty well during the day too?

I'm about to take a picture for you. Hold on for like 10 minutes. As far as during the day, you get reflection but only in those most darkest of scenes with absolute zero black levels. Which just means this TV outputs outstanding black levels. Give me about 10 min or so you will see what this TV can do.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3436 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
BDUB619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by synnyster View Post

Yes, I have clouding on my TV near the corners. You can see this usually at the start of a movie where it is all black and you get the intro text. Is it noticeable? Yes, it is. If you are really anal about that sort of thing, then maybe this TV is not for you. But while watching a movie, I have yet to really notice it at all. The picture quality on this TV is amazing. "

+1

I too have slight clouding on my 70R550. Worst is bottom right and it's bright blob with a "tail" that stretches towards middle of the screen at a diagonal. Only noticable on all black screens and watching a movie that is letterboxed. I'll admit, I'm a bit anal about my TV's and for the price I paid, I should be. I expect it to be very good to perfect since it's a brand new TV. I've tried the massage trick a couple times, seems to have helped a little but not much. I lowered the backlight to 2, brightness at 53 and picture to 8 which has helped. I'd exchange it for another but Frys has been sold out for a couple weeks. Not sure about Sony support and if they would replace it? Anyone else have experience with this? Other than this, absolutely love the TV and very happy with it.

Sony HW40es Projector / 114" screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
BDUB619 is online now  
post #3437 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Crappy pictures taken with an ipod touch 5th gen. Want to show off this beautiful TV. This is the KDR70R550A

BRIGHT vs. DARK (this looks much better in motion)



BLACK LEVELS took picture while playback was in motion



PICTURE QUALITY (notice the strand of hair)

loader963 likes this.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3438 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Member
 
Corrupted Mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

Crappy pictures taken with an ipod touch 5th gen. Want to show off this beautiful TV. This is the KDR70R550A

BRIGHT vs. DARK (this looks much better in motion)



BLACK LEVELS took picture while playback was in motion



PICTURE QUALITY (notice the strand of hair)


That's funny because me and my wife watched this show last night on a different set at our friends. Just looking at this (even though it was taken by a iPad) is very clean and colorful. Picture does pop and those pictures are good examples of how good the blacks are. Thanks for the pics. For sure helping me in my decision. If I can get a set like yours I would love that. If we were to take those same pics on my Samsung there would be clouds everywhere.
loader963 likes this.
Corrupted Mind is offline  
post #3439 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Mind View Post

That's funny because me and my wife watched this show last night on a different set at our friends. Just looking at this (even though it was taken by a iPad) is very clean and colorful. Picture does pop and those pictures are good examples of how good the blacks are. Thanks for the pics. For sure helping me in my decision. If I can get a set like yours I would love that. If we were to take those same pics on my Samsung there would be clouds everywhere.

No problem, it's a pretty amazing set. But I had to fiddle with the TV settings and then blu ray player settings for like 2 days to finally get the TV's full potential. I will be honest with you there were times I was not impressed. But I know now that was because I did not have the TV settings and more importantly blu ray player settings at the proper settings. If when you do get this TV and aren't immediately impressed, remember to check back here for help getting it just right. Earlier this morning the moment I got things "just right", I was floored. Pretty happy with this set, just wanted to share.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3440 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Corrupted Mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

No problem, it's a pretty amazing set. But I had to fiddle with the TV settings and then blu ray player settings for like 2 days to finally get the TV's full potential. I will be honest with you there were times I was not impressed. But I know now that was because I did not have the TV settings and more importantly blu ray player settings at the proper settings. If when you do get this TV and aren't immediately impressed, remember to check back here for help getting it just right. Earlier this morning the moment I got things "just right", I was floored. Pretty happy with this set, just wanted to share.

Cool I will check back if I do get this TV because I would like to know what your calibration settings are.
Corrupted Mind is offline  
post #3441 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Member
 
JefferyMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

My setup... I'm finally very happy with everything!

TV:  Sony KDL70R550A 
Audio: LG TS913ES 
STB: Shaw Arris Gateway (2 Portals)
Game: PS4
Smartbox: ATV2, WD TV Live 
Media Server: 1TB Lacie HDD
Network Connections: All devices over 1GB Ethernet LAN (CAT 6)

I will be making some upgrades to my media server size shortly (I haven't run out of space yet so I have been putting it off). I may upgrade the sound later, but that little LG home theater on a box is pushing 1100W in my little condo and sound quite amazing so its hard to justify a fancy amp w/ amazing speakers that i wouldn't be able to properly use... Though THX cert amp and speakers would be nice :)

 

Like many people on this forum I had experienced both clouding and flash-lighting issues beyond what I could accept. I ended up exchanging the set for another and I could not be happier.


Only a very slight glow from the panel when completely black which is normal. No flash-lighting or clouding! For the record I did try the massaging trick people spoke of with no luck. New TV = RESOLVED. 

My iphone has a very hard time capturing a clear image of my setup due to it always being so bright outside and behind the set so shamefully these were the best 2 (of 20 i tired). 

My Shaw box typically streams the HD quality at 1080i which is still pretty decent for a cable provider. The PS4 is a nice 1080p, as is blu ray's etc... The PQ is really good on everything thats 1080, decent on 720 (though not preferable)... 480 is just not worth any ones time. I actually canceled as many of the low def ch's as I could as I never watched them on this set.

 

 

 

 

I also picked up a new stand of the unit shown above. As I have to have my set in the corner on an angle I was not able to wall mount it... Im also a bit scared of wall mounting a 70" tv to my wall... 


Display: Sony 70" KDL-70R550A
AVR: Sony STR-DH740 
Sound: Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV Home Entertainment Speaker System
Smart Box(s):ATV3, WD TV Live
STB: Arris Gateway PVR (Shaw)
Gaming System: Sony PS4
Media Server: 1 TB Lacie NAS (DLNA) 

JefferyMichael is offline  
post #3442 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Newbie
 
Teetime975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by synnyster View Post

The clouding on your TV looks pretty awful. I cannot even see clouding during the day on my TV. I can only see it at night when I have all the lights turned off. Even in dark scenes during movies I don't see it. It really is only when I start a movie up and the intros are pitch black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted Mind View Post



Here is the clouding on my Samsung F6400 that I am returning. To be honest it does bother me pretty bad ha. I want the cinema bars to be black only on movies. Kinda hard to come by. I know it's hard to get a TV that has no Clouding but I hope I get a luck of the draw that is a lot better than the one I have. I'll check the TV out at Costco. I want to get the 60in. It's going for $1399 right now I think. Trying to find the best deal. I was hoping maybe the day before Christmas Costco would do something


Unless your set on the 60inch size. I would get the 55 inch 802a. I really like this tv, but it's a little big for my wall. I compared the this one to the 802a and it was pretty clear what picture was better. Their both really good but the 802a is just better and only 5inches less for the same amount of $.
Teetime975 is offline  
post #3443 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Member
 
loader963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: VA USA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, after many months of research i buckled down and ordered the 70" today from AMAZON. I've been looking since spring and feeling confident i've made the right decision for what i want in my den. I have to say a lot of you guys made me initially skip this model. But due to my wish to have a +65" tv for under 3k i still kept checking on this thread and a few others regarding the r550a series. I know that the owner of the pics that looked horrible have a perfectly legitimate reason to complain but i have seen quite a few models that while not nowhere near "reference" level still looked very nice. Plus those guys writing the positive reviews of their sets helped me make my decision. Anyways MERRY CHRISTMAS guys thanks for teaching me so much about A/V on this journey!

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
loader963 is offline  
post #3444 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Newbie
 
Teetime975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963 View Post

Well, after many months of research i buckled down and ordered the 70" today from AMAZON. I've been looking since spring and feeling confident i've made the right decision for what i want in my den. I have to say a lot of you guys made me initially skip this model. But due to my wish to have a +65" tv for under 3k i still kept checking on this thread and a few others regarding the r550a series. I know that the owner of the pics that looked horrible have a perfectly legitimate reason to complain but i have seen quite a few models that while not nowhere near "reference" level still looked very nice. Plus those guys writing the positive reviews of their sets helped me make my decision. Anyways MERRY CHRISTMAS guys thanks for teaching me so much about A/V on this journey!

I don't have the blobs and very light flashlighting in the very remote corners. As others have mentioned, I cannot see any of that when watching the tv. I'm very happy so far with the PQ, had my 60inch for about 3 weeks. I'm a big Sony fan because my last four TVs have always lasted past the 5 yr warranty period and still going. Never have payed an extended warranty (knock on wood) You pay a little more for better quality and lower overall failure rates.
Teetime975 is offline  
post #3445 of 4313 Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I always buy warranties. One worked out for me several years back where I got a check for $2700 because they couldn't fix it. Not saying everyone has to but it gives me nice peace of mind. It wasn't just that one time either, my DLP got serviced a couple times during it's 3 years so I probably got my warranty value of just those 2 visits. Have a 5 year warranty for a little under $400 to me was worth it. I plan to have this TV for the full 5 years. At that point maybe I can get a relatively inexpensive 70" 3D 2k TV just like this one was a relatively inexpensive 70" 1080p 3D passive TV (the only one on the market not made by Vizio).
loader963 likes this.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3446 of 4313 Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Member
 
loader963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: VA USA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

I always buy warranties. One worked out for me several years back where I got a check for $2700 because they couldn't fix it. Not saying everyone has to but it gives me nice peace of mind. It wasn't just that one time either, my DLP got serviced a couple times during it's 3 years so I probably got my warranty value of just those 2 visits. Have a 5 year warranty for a little under $400 to me was worth it. I plan to have this TV for the full 5 years. At that point maybe I can get a relatively inexpensive 70" 3D 2k TV just like this one was a relatively inexpensive 70" 1080p 3D passive TV (the only one on the market not made by Vizio).

Never have bought a warranty but i know your pain and wish i had on my mitsubishi 73". I was happy with the picture but that thing was proof of MB's lack of quality. And i don't know how long I'll keep her yet, either til she breaks or at least someone makes a higher quality passive 3d 70" tv under a few grand! I wonder how much it would have costed for them to put that trilumonus and the x reality pro graphics engine found in the w900a in in the larger sets? Now watch them announce just that at CES in January for only a couple hundred more lol.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
loader963 is offline  
post #3447 of 4313 Old 12-24-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by loader963 View Post

Never have bought a warranty but i know your pain and wish i had on my mitsubishi 73". I was happy with the picture but that thing was proof of MB's lack of quality. And i don't know how long I'll keep her yet, either til she breaks or at least someone makes a higher quality passive 3d 70" tv under a few grand! I wonder how much it would have costed for them to put that trilumonus and the x reality pro graphics engine found in the w900a in in the larger sets? Now watch them announce just that at CES in January for only a couple hundred more lol.

Trilumonus is just for more accurate color right? I won't care too much. My 2 most important issues are picture detail and contrast ratio. If trilumonus just makes more accurate color, don't care. If it makes them pop off the screen more, then I start to care. Anyway that's the issue with ever buying a TV, there is always a better one next year. Some times the better is a bigger leap.

If there is a TV that's 70" and passive 3D and oh so much better I will probably eventually get it January when it's on sale and sell this TV like I have many times before.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3448 of 4313 Old 12-24-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Is it normal to expect some amount of grain and fuzziness in cable box HD channels? I exchanged the long 12 foot HDMI cable for an extra 6 foot Audio Quest forest I had on the TV set downstairs. It did take away a bit of the grain and fuzziness. And I tried to fool around with the cable box options but there was not much there as far as video HDMI options.

My question is, can this TV look great with HD cable and if so what type of cable box options should I be asking for when I call comcast about maybe trying a new box? The Box I have is about 2 1/2 years old so maybe I'm thinkin newer boxes might have some more advanced options?

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #3449 of 4313 Old 12-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Member
 
loader963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: VA USA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The triluminous supports deep color and xvycc. So yes it can do more color and more accurate color. And when i get mine next Tuesday I'll see how grainy it is

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
loader963 is offline  
post #3450 of 4313 Old 12-24-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

Is it normal to expect some amount of grain and fuzziness in cable box HD channels? I exchanged the long 12 foot HDMI cable for an extra 6 foot Audio Quest forest I had on the TV set downstairs. It did take away a bit of the grain and fuzziness. And I tried to fool around with the cable box options but there was not much there as far as video HDMI options.

My question is, can this TV look great with HD cable and if so what type of cable box options should I be asking for when I call comcast about maybe trying a new box? The Box I have is about 2 1/2 years old so maybe I'm thinkin newer boxes might have some more advanced options?

 

1. Well, sorry, I don't believe that the AudioQuest HDMI cable took away grain or fuzziness.  That is NOT how digital signals work.  When HDMI cables have trouble, they have serious trouble (major large snow, and horrendous breakdown).  Not fuzziness.  And not grain.  So when you swap out a broken HDMI cable with a working one, it never just incrementally fixes things by small amounts.  You're seeing some kind of psychosomatic illusion.

 

2. Comcast (and FIOS) quality is hit or miss, depending.  While I can't say for sure of course, I do strongly suspect that we've hit a new low in over-compression.  And if you are a really discerning videophile, you can forget about Netflix pleasing you until their higher quality service becomes more available.


Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
tgm1024 is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off