Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncap View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyan View Post

***working with Sony for a replacement***

I purchased my 60R550a (serial number 6xxxxx) back in June ‘13 and immediately noticed a "blob" measuring roughly 17" by 8" located in the middle of my screen. Tends to be more noticeable on white and light colored backgrounds. Knowing the TV came with a one-year warranty, I didn't experience a sense of urgency to call and get this resolved. Perhaps the hesitation came from the anticipation of having to call and deal with customer service and not knowing how well they would take care of me. I called Sony customer service and described the issue as a slight discoloration permanently fixed in a certain area of the screen.

After stepping through some meaningful troubleshooting (i.e., removing the plug from a surge protector and plugging it directly into the wall…because THAT’S what would cause something like this :-^) they offered to send me a recertified TV “comparable to the same model” and a two year warranty. I accepted.

Within a week, the replacement came via CEVA and ‘white glove’ service. They installed the replacement TV, packed up the old TV, then waited for me to inspect the replacement TV. Unfortunately, the replacement TV had the same issue…but five times over! It looked like there was a turkey on my TV. There were five “blobs” the same size as my original “blob” but in turkey tail formation. I could not accept that. They unpacked my original TV and repacked the replacement and I signed the “refusal of delivery” notice.

Sony called not more than an hour later to confirm the situation. They are sending another replacement TV within the next week. We’ll try this again. I’m not sure how many times we’ll need to go through this before they try a different strategy but I’m willing to repeat the process until I receive an acceptable replacement.

That’s the story and current status of my TV containing a ‘blob’.

Are you 100% certain there' no electromagnetic interference going on there? I can tell you my old DLP just would not work in one certain corner of my den without glaring audio interference. I never figured out exactly WHAT it was but as soon as I 'moved the TV to the other side of the room it worked fine. For two TVs to exhibit the same weird issue strikes me as environmental.

The blobs are not so weird that it would make anyone think that.

There is no electromagnetic interference that can cause this....these aren't like CRTs.  And the Audio problem you're talking about is a completely different beast.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Why on earth would you want a brand new TV repaired? I'd want a new one.

Because I've been going through a lot of health problems, daily panic attacks. I did not get it delivered. I can not go through the stress of packing it up in a small car again. Dealing with geek squad is easier, and rest assured I'll get it fixed/replaced.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d
post #3693 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

Because I've been going through a lot of health problems, daily panic attacks. I did not get it delivered. I can not go through the stress of packing it up in a small car again. Dealing with geek squad is easier, and rest assured I'll get it fixed/replaced.

Bought my TV from Craigslist, had some horizontal lines after it was cold booted.  After about a minute they would disappear. I called Sony directly had a replacement tv scheduled within 30minutes.  Also got a free warranty upgrade to two years.

That's pretty awesome service.

Sony KDL-70R550A

Sony STR-DN1030

post #3694 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:

Are you 100% certain there' no electromagnetic interference going on there? I can tell you my old DLP just would not work in one certain corner of my den without glaring audio interference. I never figured out exactly WHAT it was but as soon as I 'moved the TV to the other side of the room it worked fine. For two TVs to exhibit the same weird issue strikes me as environmental.

there are people that have reported that they originally had a blob set, after an exchange or multiple exchanges, they finally got a blob free set. this is not environmental.
post #3695 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll ask again, because I've never been able to figure this out thus far.

Has anyone seen a case where the FIOS tv shows that are old reruns but on an HD channel bounce up and down painfully?

I mean like "House" (the dr. show with Huge Laurie) on an HD channel will bounce every few seconds, and I came across an episode of Will and Grace (also on an HD channel) that was impossible to watch .... the bouncing was so bad you could get nauseous from it.

The commercials in between segments does not jump around.

Happen with or without any motion settings.  I'm not quite sure who to blame here.  If I hit pause and go frame by frame it will exhibit the distortion, but less so.  So there's both 1. a full speed issue, and 2. a raw data (speed or frame by frame) issue.

A combination of encoding?  A bad motherboard?

ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS????

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #3696 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^I'm holding off on pursuing this on the odd hopes that someone has a suggestion.

That, and frankly, calling Sony support makes me want to stick a fork in my eye.

post #3697 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
well, just like the sony rep said, in 2 days I would get my code in my email. And I did. What's funny though is that when I put the code in my netflix account (already a member) it said "Discount applied $46.81" That really doesn't add up to anything.........
post #3698 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM

Liked: 12
"What's funny though is that when I put the code in my netflix account (already a member) it said "Discount applied $46.81" That really doesn't add up to anything........."

Damn when I redeemed mine it said $98.81 but my purchase was before January 2014.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #3699 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim brice View Post

"What's funny though is that when I put the code in my netflix account (already a member) it said "Discount applied $46.81" That really doesn't add up to anything........."

Damn when I redeemed mine it said $98.81 but my purchase was before January 2014.

i know if you purchases your tv prior to like sept 2013, it was 1 year free. if you purcahsed it after, they were giving out 6 months free
post #3700 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM

That's terrible. I'm starting to only like sony for gaming.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #3701 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho View Post

i know if you purchases your tv prior to like sept 2013, it was 1 year free. if you purcahsed it after, they were giving out 6 months free

I just realized while talking to the netflix rep on the phone. It gives you 6 months free (12 if you got the 70") of the basic $8 per month streaming plan. I thought "I pay over $20 a month, I should get back over $100." No.
post #3702 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 PM

Yea I just stream Netflix.

Why, Sony? Why?...
post #3703 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

There is no electromagnetic interference that can cause this....these aren't like CRTs.  And the Audio problem you're talking about is a completely different beast.

With regard to your post, I wasn't referring to an audio issue, I was referring to a VIDEO issue on an old DLP that emanated from a specific area of one room of my home. And a DLP isn't like a CRT either. I had a LOT of experience with electromagnetic issues in offices over the years, so this struck me as very odd with the DLP as well. Moving it away from the one side of the room resolved it but didn't fix the source.
post #3704 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

With regard to your post, I wasn't referring to an audio issue, I was referring to a VIDEO issue on an old DLP that emanated from a specific area of one room of my home.

I don't understand.  You said this:

Quote:

Are you 100% certain there' no electromagnetic interference going on there? I can tell you my old DLP just would not work in one certain corner of my den without glaring audio interference.

post #3705 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:

I don't understand either because the problem with the DLP had nothing to do with audio. Either I'm having brain farts from dealing with Sony on my audio issues unrelated to this, or this forum is screwing with me, or my iPhone autocorrect is chiming in. The issue I'm referring to in THIS thread, with the DLP, with the room location problem, was a VIDEO interference issue. And it was a non-CRT device. I've see many similar issues with computer CRTs over the years, on a few occasions lining an office wall with Reynolds Wrap solved the problem. In my case, with the DLP, I'm not aware of anything even being in the wall in the area in question but we had only been in this house a week when this occurred and I rerouted the coax to the opposite corner of the room and never looked back.
post #3706 of 4225 Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I don't understand either because the problem with the DLP had nothing to do with audio. Either I'm having brain farts from dealing with Sony on my audio issues unrelated to this, or this forum is screwing with me, or my iPhone autocorrect is chiming in. The issue I'm referring to in THIS thread, with the DLP, with the room location problem, was a VIDEO interference issue. And it was a non-CRT device. I've see many similar issues with computer CRTs over the years, on a few occasions lining an office wall with Reynolds Wrap solved the problem. In my case, with the DLP, I'm not aware of anything even being in the wall in the area in question but we had only been in this house a week when this occurred and I rerouted the coax to the opposite corner of the room and never looked back.

That reminds me of an issue we had with some computer monitors at my old job. One of my team members had these weird "wiggles" on his computer monitor. All of the IT guys looked at it, swapped monitors in and out, swapped video cards in and out and nothing would resolve the "wiggles". And they were intermittent, too, never occurring when anyone trying to fix the situation was around investigating.

So, I wandered around to the opposite side of the same wall and found a salesperson had set up an electric fan - just inches away really from the computer monitor on the other side of the wall. Whenever he got hot, the fan went on, and the "wiggles" started. I felt rather proud of myself for finding the solution and having the guy move his fan.

I know this has nothing to do with the R550a series, but the recent environmental comments reminded me of it.

Harry
post #3707 of 4225 Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 AM

Liked: 17
if I have read the specs right the r550a doe not have a dlna client onboard? this would rule out a purchase to replace my dead lg lw6500,as I need to stream video from my computer to the tv over my home network, could anyone confirm if this is so?
post #3708 of 4225 Old 02-01-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post

if I have read the specs right the r550a doe not have a dlna client onboard? this would rule out a purchase to replace my dead lg lw6500,as I need to stream video from my computer to the tv over my home network, could anyone confirm if this is so?

It sure does. Mine streams from my WD My Cloud.
post #3709 of 4225 Old 02-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

That reminds me of an issue we had with some computer monitors at my old job. One of my team members had these weird "wiggles" on his computer monitor. All of the IT guys looked at it, swapped monitors in and out, swapped video cards in and out and nothing would resolve the "wiggles". And they were intermittent, too, never occurring when anyone trying to fix the situation was around investigating.

So, I wandered around to the opposite side of the same wall and found a salesperson had set up an electric fan - just inches away really from the computer monitor on the other side of the wall. Whenever he got hot, the fan went on, and the "wiggles" started. I felt rather proud of myself for finding the solution and having the guy move his fan.

I know this has nothing to do with the R550a series, but the recent environmental comments reminded me of it.

Harry

We found a lot of issues like that in offices when I was in the IT world. And we also had a client with an employee I'll just call Zelda (that was her name by the way) who fried everything she touched from mice, to laptops, to laser printers. We covered so much damage under warranty before we figured out it was her, we then required her to wear a static wristband. She quit. No more equipment issues.

And, you know, it never occurred to me before, but the corner of my den where the DLP had problems is very close to my laundry room. It';s also next to the garage but that wasn't the source. Wondering if the electronics in the dryer was the source... Doesn't matter much since the DLP is long gone and the TV in there now is at the opposite corner of the room.
post #3710 of 4225 Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I'm doing the same, but that's not the point. Using it the way I am there was no reason to buy Sony, I'd have bought Pioneer. I intended to go Bravia Sync with the TV, SoundBar and BD. Sadly their technology sucks. Anyway, it works perfectly fine with the optical connection. In fact it's much more stable than it was using TV HDMI.

Don't know if you solved this yet yourself but I figured out the problem.

Their is a setting within the soundbar to set a default input. its set to optical by default. Once I changed it to TV(HDMI) everything worked with perfect.
post #3711 of 4225 Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand either because the problem with the DLP had nothing to do with audio. Either I'm having brain farts from dealing with Sony on my audio issues unrelated to this, or this forum is screwing with me, or my iPhone autocorrect is chiming in.

No worries.  I myself am convinced that AVSforum has a hidden portal to the ISS Enterprise at times.

BTW, you've certainly noticed that my quote within your quote was yanked out automatically.  Inside your forum settings there is an option to have nested quotes that go back arbitrary levels.  This is useful to maintain the conversation properly if it's something you can get used to and if you can remember to be kind to others and trim the useless stuff down some.

post #3712 of 4225 Old 02-02-2014, 02:53 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a change log for the software updates to the kdl-70r550 thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
post #3713 of 4225 Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukh77 View Post

Bought my TV from Craigslist, had some horizontal lines after it was cold booted.  After about a minute they would disappear. I called Sony directly had a replacement tv scheduled within 30minutes.  Also got a free warranty upgrade to two years.

That's pretty awesome service.

glad to hear it. I hope Sony is as good with me. They put a stop to the geek squad because I'm still in the 90 day period but it's been 7 days since geek squad got halted by Sony and they still haven't contacted me. They don't seem to be in a hurry to fix my problem. Oh well I know I will eventually be taken care of even if Sony doesn't, my extended warranty will.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d
post #3714 of 4225 Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 PM

My 10 year old Yamaha receiver does not have ARC or hdmi. I connected my BR and cable stb to R550a using hdmi 1.4, and an optic cable from tv to receiver. But I cannot get 5.1 channel sound, only 2 channels. I can connect optic cables directly to receiver, but just want to confirm that digital sound from TV is only 2 channels. If I am wrong, please tell me the settings I need. TIA.
post #3715 of 4225 Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 AM

hi i just bought the 60r550a  a month ago and had the flashlighting problem in the left part of the screen that was unbearable with the manufacture date of november 2013. sony sent me a new set and it also had the same flashlighting but not as bad.

i adjusted the backlighting to 2, increased the brightness to 60, picture to 74, everything else medium, nuetral or standard and motion flow set to on.

the 10 side screws were already loose and i did not massage the tv with a micro fiber cloth as some here have suggested.

the tv is now good enough where the flashlighting is no longer noticeable and the only thing that you can see now is how great this set is. i had an entry-level lg 4600 and there is no comparason between this set and the lg. I have another led 3d sony 52" and both these sets are nothing short of excellent

i highly recommend this tv and its sad that the saleperson did not inform me of the adjutments  needed to combat the flashligting. i had to google it and find it here after having the second bad set 

post #3716 of 4225 Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwalk View Post

hi i just bought the 60r550a  a month ago and had the flashlighting problem in the left part of the screen that was unbearable with the manufacture date of november 2013. sony sent me a new set and it also had the same flashlighting but not as bad.

i adjusted the backlighting to 2, increased the brightness to 60, picture to 74, everything else medium, nuetral or standard and motion flow set to on.

the 10 side screws were already loose and i did not massage the tv with a micro fiber cloth as some here have suggested.

the tv is now good enough where the flashlighting is no longer noticeable and the only thing that you can see now is how great this set is. i had an entry-level lg 4600 and there is no comparason between this set and the lg. I have another led 3d sony 52" and both these sets are nothing short of excellent

i highly recommend this tv and its sad that the saleperson did not inform me of the adjutments  needed to combat the flashligting. i had to google it and find it here after having the second bad set 

i actually had both clouding and  flashlighting and it was bad enough that if i could not get rid of it i wouldve not accepted this set if i couldve found one in this price range that did not have this problem. the picture is incredible but that means nothing if i could not get rid of the clouding

post #3717 of 4225 Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by e268 View Post

My 10 year old Yamaha receiver does not have ARC or hdmi. I connected my BR and cable stb to R550a using hdmi 1.4, and an optic cable from tv to receiver. But I cannot get 5.1 channel sound, only 2 channels. I can connect optic cables directly to receiver, but just want to confirm that digital sound from TV is only 2 channels. If I am wrong, please tell me the settings I need. TIA.

From the description of your setup, you will need to use optical cables from the TV to your receiver to get 5.1. Another option if your BD player has optical out, would be to run directly from your BD player to the receiver to get 5.1 audio. The Sony TV will indeed send 5.1 audio from the optical output.
post #3718 of 4225 Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks. I screwed up my Sony BR olayer. I accidentally set it to PCM instaed of auto. That fixed it. Why they have to make it so complicated.
post #3719 of 4225 Old 02-05-2014, 03:03 PM

Is it just me, or is Sony trying to lock us into their own ecosystem? I had my ps4 hooked directly to my 70" r550a. I was using ARC to return the audio to my Onkyo Stereo reciever. Arc also worked flawlessly when using the smart features built into the television. Whenever I turned on the ps4, or played something from the smart tv, the onkyo would automatically switch to proper input and audio would play through the surround system. Cable box and bluray are hooked up to the onkyo directly. Harmony remote controls everything. Upon installing the latest update to my television, Arc no longer functions. In fact, my ps4 does not even show up in the bravia sync menu anymore unless, i unhook the hdmi going to the onkyo. Only then does the bravia sync features start to work again. I have a hunch that if i were to buy a sony reciever, this will not be a problem. Before anybody says anything, I am running my setup this way in order to avoid any chance of input lag added from having the reciever in the loop...... i'm an avid gamer. Does anybody know if there is any way of re installing the old firmware that came with my tv? I should never have updated it, as everything was working so sweetly.
post #3720 of 4225 Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

From the description of your setup, you will need to use optical cables from the TV to your receiver to get 5.1. Another option if your BD player has optical out, would be to run directly from your BD player to the receiver to get 5.1 audio. The Sony TV will indeed send 5.1 audio from the optical output.

The TV optical is fine till you send it DTS. It plays it fine, but has that constant warning banner saying unsupported audio...

So, I agree that BR should go direct to receiver if possible, due to this.

I wish there was a workaround to avoid it. I always hope an update will fix the issue. But, likely a license thing they don't want to pay for?

If all is set right and playing 5.1 DD, it should not be 2 channel. Had an old Samsung that did this. But, this Sony will pass the 5.1.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page