Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #3871 of 4353 Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I really think for my standards, the success rate at any mid-range level (including the R550A) is probably more like 30%.  It's just that the vast majority of folks either 1. don't know what's ok or not, 2. don't mind, or 3. are afraid to return.

So where do I need to be to get quality? Sammy F8000? Can I get by on the F7100 or F7500?

This is all so aggravating ....

I understand.  It is SUPREMELY aggravating.

I run into this dilemma all the time on the "help me buy an LCD thread"; I just don't know what to tell people.

I had the worst experience ever in 2010 with a Samsung C6300.  I never forgot it and never forgave them for producing such a bad TV.  I saw someone else in this forum that ended up with a similar situation.  Unfortunately, he never returned his, as I did.  And he was tormented by a TV that just squashed all blacks no matter what you did and could not make a skin tone to save its life.  He was screwed by the Samsung "panel lottery" <---you literally have no clue what you're getting-----Samsung makes displays for a lot of folks, but cannot seem to make enough for themselves.

Could you conceivably push the budget upwards to the $2500-$3000 range?  I'd look at one of the passive 3D 4K's by Sony if I were doing this again.

Sorry I can't help further.  :-/

For the time being, I can only recommend buying directly by Amazon, or from something listed as "fulfilled by Amazon", for safety with returning.  No marketplace vendors unless they're "fulfilled by Amazon".

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4353 Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

So where do I need to be to get quality? Sammy F8000? Can I get by on the F7100 or F7500?

This is all so aggravating ....

i would suggest paying for white glove delivery. Normally it's $60-$80 extra. That way, they will deliver the unit, take it out of the box, plug it in, then let you take a look at it.

Be ready with your tools to run a quick test to make sure there are no blobs. If the set is ok, then say thanks. If the set displays the blob say you are unhappy and will not accept this unit.

They can either pack it up for you and bring you a new one or pack it up for you and return it and get refunded.
post #3873 of 4353 Old 03-21-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Yes, 10 seconds is totally normal, but Sony does supply a setting to speed that up by leaving parts of it on.  My Sony BDP has the same setting.  Forget what/where it is though.

Maybe try to disable the boot up logo and see if that saves you a few seconds.
post #3874 of 4353 Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks guys for the replies. I was able to get a white background and didn't see any blob ( or maybe i'm not seeing it ) but regardless I'm happy with it.
post #3875 of 4353 Old 03-22-2014, 01:23 AM

Liked: 10
Just got the KDL70R550A is anyone else missing the hulu plus app? Also the netflix button on the remote shows "The service requested was not found" error. Am I the only one with this issue?
post #3876 of 4353 Old 03-22-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invasian View Post

Thanks guys for the replies. I was able to get a white background and didn't see any blob ( or maybe i'm not seeing it ) but regardless I'm happy with it.

That's the bottom line!  Try some panning grayish images if you're curious.  You'll see them in real content sooner or later.

EDIT: No, don't.  Be happy.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #3877 of 4353 Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 AM

I'm also missing the Hulu app and get the same error when pressing the netflix button but can get to it from the navigation pane. I didn't even know it was supposed to have the hulu app on it until I saw your posting and then saw CNET's review showed it. I updated to the latest software and thought that would remedy the problems but no dice.
If anyone figures out a workaround or solution please let us know!
post #3878 of 4353 Old 03-22-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Just return it through Amazon.  Was it listed as "fulfilled by Amazon", or sold entirely by the marketplace vendor "The High Definition Store" (from the Amazon website)?  The two methods are distinct.  Was it listed as "prime"?  (Etc.)

No, unfortunately it wasn't fulfilled by Amazon. I've already contacted the High Definition Store through Amazon though, and they replied back. I was too busy at work to call them when they were open, so I left them a message to get in touch with me on Monday.
post #3879 of 4353 Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Liked: 21
I posted a page or so ago about my screen settings getting changed for broadcast TV (using the tuner) back to "normal" when I want it set at "+1". I think I may have found out when it's happening, but not a fix for it.

It seems that if I set the TV tuner image to "+1", which gives it a maximum amount of info on the screen (slightly smaller picture) and then use the Amazon or Netflix or Hulu functions of the TV, and then go back to TV, it gets reset to "Normal." I'm not sure - it may also happen after watching a Blu-ray.

All I know is that the setting doesn't hold and goes back to "Normal" way more than I'd like it to.

Harry
post #3880 of 4353 Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 PM

Liked: 26
Still on the fence with my purchase.
Daytime viewing is nice. But I watch a lot of tv content at night. And to make matters worse the content usually has a lot of dark scenes
(Vikings, Walking Dead, The Following, Game of thrones.....)
These are the scenes that punish this TV in 2 ways:

1) the corner flash lighting becomes more evident and visible in the programming.
2) The Blacks don't look adequately deep and either crush or look grey when better detail.

There was a sale today at Future shop on the 65w850 for same price I paid for the 70R550. Ordered it will recieve on Wednesday. Still in my return window.
Am willing to forego the 5 inches if the PQ is much better. Coming from a 63 inch plasma and had no issues with the size .....
post #3881 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsf View Post

As far as the TV, I hope I made the right decision and will keep an eye out for price drops during the 15 day price guarantee period for BB.
I didn't realize BB had price protection, too.

Meanwhile, Amazon is currently out of stock. They still have a used one through Warehouse Deals (prime eligible), but it's up about $400 to $2033 (compared to what they were selling used ones for when they had new ones available for $1799).

Quote:

What's the best ways to see if your tv is affected by this blob effects I keep hearing about?
Quote:

...You can also put a white picture on a computer and access it (this is if you know the administration details of DLNAing an image around).

Why DLNA? Can't you just connect the computer to the TV directly? (i.e. HDMI)
post #3882 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsf View Post

As far as the TV, I hope I made the right decision and will keep an eye out for price drops during the 15 day price guarantee period for BB.

Meanwhile, Amazon is currently out of stock. They still have a used one through Warehouse Deals (prime eligible), but it's up about $400 to $2033 (compared to what they were selling used ones for when they had new ones available for $1799).

Quote:

What's the best ways to see if your tv is affected by this blob effects I keep hearing about?
Quote:

...You can also put a white picture on a computer and access it (this is if you know the administration details of DLNAing an image around).

Because most laptops don't have HDMI or DVI out---only the high end ones do.

And desktops are a pain in the ass to move.

It'd be easier to put a .jpg on a usb flashdrive and connect that.

post #3883 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post

yes you can connect directly
if:
1) your computer can output HDMi
2) your computer is in distance of your HDMI cable
3) your laptop can display out via HDMI

keep in mind, not everyone has this option and DLNA is relatively easy to push a picture via your WiFi network to the TV.
post #3884 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchow427 View Post

Just got the KDL70R550A is anyone else missing the hulu plus app? Also the netflix button on the remote shows "The service requested was not found" error. Am I the only one with this issue?

This is how my TV works. I have no video sources other than a PS4. When I want to watch Netflix on the TV the following happens:

1. turn on tv
2. wait about 15-20 seconds (If I press Netflix at < time I get the error)
3. watch Netflix

Number 2 started to feel a little longer after a recent update. Never got to time it until recently. Sometimes I eventually time out and I get a no link msg or something. Retry
always fixes it. It's basically that the TV is slow to acquire a network connection (although I am not sure whey they' re doing that every time if the IP and other settings
have not changed). It's just annoying!!

I thought about contacting Sony but I am guessing will not go anywhere since eventually I can always watch Netflix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evercleardoc View Post

I'm also missing the Hulu app and get the same error when pressing the netflix button but can get to it from the navigation pane. I didn't even know it was supposed to have the hulu app on it until I saw your posting and then saw CNET's review showed it. I updated to the latest software and thought that would remedy the problems but no dice.
If anyone figures out a workaround or solution please let us know!

Hulu is supported but the GUI is eek.gif ....you may have to download the app (forgot the steps). They did something similar with Netflix where they removed the promo app to get the "free months".
post #3885 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Anyone know the size of VESA mount this needs (ie. 300x600 etc)? Do I need a mount that specifies 70" or is just the weight fine?

post #3886 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix123 View Post

Anyone know the size of VESA mount this needs (ie. 300x600 etc)? Do I need a mount that specifies 70" or is just the weight fine?

400x300 - going by the weight setting should be fine, although I would typically choose one with a higher maximum rating than the weight of the TV. Just make sure it's being installed onto wall studs (if you're mounting it on drywall).
post #3887 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

This is how my TV works. I have no video sources other than a PS4. When I want to watch Netflix on the TV the following happens:

1. turn on tv
2. wait about 15-20 seconds (If I press Netflix at < time I get the error)
3. watch Netflix

Number 2 started to feel a little longer after a recent update. Never got to time it until recently. Sometimes I eventually time out and I get a no link msg or something. Retry
always fixes it. It's basically that the TV is slow to acquire a network connection (although I am not sure whey they' re doing that every time if the IP and other settings
have not changed). It's just annoying!!

I thought about contacting Sony but I am guessing will not go anywhere since eventually I can always watch Netflix.
Hulu is supported but the GUI is eek.gif ....you may have to download the app (forgot the steps). They did something similar with Netflix where they removed the promo app to get the "free months".

Waiting on Sony tier 2 to call me back but haven't found a way to download the hulu app. Netflix works if you go through the SEN button, apps, or internet videos but still no dice on the netflix button on remote no matter how long I wait.
post #3888 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM

Well I am very conflicted still as I await my delivery of the 65w850. This tv looks very good in all but dark environment viewing. Am typing this as I watch the hockey game and I have no blotches or real DSE. No banding either. Enjoy the colors too. Just watched the changeling and it looked really nice......except:

As it got dark out the flashlight in mainly the bottom right corner gets distracting.
I also discovered something abnormal while watching the changeling. Often times on certain backgrounds as a person moved there was a shimmer of a blue outline for a fraction of a second. This happened repeatedly. Iirc I read something about this in a review somewhere as being an issue with this set.

Anyone else notice this? Can it be fixed by adjusting settings

Anyone one this and it the w850 and compared them. Will have to make my final decision in which to keep this week.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
post #3889 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM

Liked: 21
I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!

I have a very basic cable TV service, one that gives me local channels only and a few cable-access channels. All are digital. The main ones are HD, the subchannels are generally 4:3 SD.

OK, so far, so good. When watching any of those, my screen settings display area is set to either "+1" for the SD channels, or "Full Pixel" for the HD channels.

Now, here's where it was going screwy and resetting those settings: I also get through this cable service an analog channel that scrawls a schedule. It doesn't really come in all that well, but it's enough that a channel scan will pick it up on channel 2. IT IS THIS ANALOG CHANNEL THAT ONLY ALLOWS SETTINGS OF "NORMAL" OR "-1", so any time my tuner went through channel 2, my settings got nuked back to "Normal".

So it's sort of a bug in the way the TV operates. If there are any analog channels in your reception, then passing through that will take your settings to "Normal" instead of the desired "Full Pixel" or "+1".

Harry
post #3890 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchow427 View Post

Waiting on Sony tier 2 to call me back but haven't found a way to download the hulu app. Netflix works if you go through the SEN button, apps, or internet videos but still no dice on the netflix button on remote no matter how long I wait.

I press the home button and go to internet content, that's where my hulu app is.

Or go to Sony entertainment network and then more apps to see if it's in there

post #3891 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

Well I am very conflicted still as I await my delivery of the 65w850. This tv looks very good in all but dark environment viewing. Am typing this as I watch the hockey game and I have no blotches or real DSE. No banding either. Enjoy the colors too. Just watched the changeling and it looked really nice......except:

As it got dark out the flashlight in mainly the bottom right corner gets distracting.
I also discovered something abnormal while watching the changeling. Often times on certain backgrounds as a person moved there was a shimmer of a blue outline for a fraction of a second. This happened repeatedly. Iirc I read something about this in a review somewhere as being an issue with this set.

Anyone else notice this? Can it be fixed by adjusting settings

Anyone one this and it the w850 and compared them. Will have to make my final decision in which to keep this week.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

What settings are you using?
post #3892 of 4353 Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Custom
contrast 96
brightness 49
color 50
back light 8
warm
all advanced settings off all noise reduction off

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
post #3893 of 4353 Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cyclical reminder:

In the very first post I (for a while) been maintaining a centralized settings spreadsheet (using google docs).

You'll see a compiled list of settings vetted by AVS members as something they are "happy" with.  I only disabled the editable version because I discovered that folks had found a way to circumvent some editing restrictions.  :(

I've also put in a blank spreadsheet for you to print out so you can write in the various attempts.  Trust me, it's very easy to second guess yourself with wondering if you forgot that one magical setting you tried once that worked oh so well.

post #3894 of 4353 Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

400x300 - going by the weight setting should be fine, although I would typically choose one with a higher maximum rating than the weight of the TV. Just make sure it's being installed onto wall studs (if you're mounting it on drywall).

How many studs? How does tilt effect 3d? Or does it even matter?

post #3895 of 4353 Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Anyone here with opinions on the 70R550 vs. the 65W850A?

On this site: http://televisions.reviewed.com/products/sony-bravia-kdl-60r520a which is essentially same panel as the 70 inch, it gets good reviews and they quote "peak white of 370.70 cd/m2 against a rich black level of 0.065 cd/m2 giving the 60R520A a contrast ratio of 5703:1, which is very good for its tech type"

They did not review the W850 but did review its cousin the 55W900 and said this: Peak white of 345 cd/m2. Coupled with a decent black level of 0.069 cd/m2 , Sony's new LED achieves a contrast ratio of 5000:1.
We should point out that if you're using the Impulse motion processing mode, it will drastically decrease the W900A's brightness. With this setting turned on, its peak white level of 345 cd/m2 was decreased to 104.9 cd/m2 , although its black level also dropped to 0.026 cd/m2 . This drops the TV's contrast ratio to 4035:1, which is still more than acceptable" I have no idea if they had the panel at full brightness or with local dimming enabled as Sound and Vision give a number of 0.006 ft/L which = 0.02 cd/m2. I do not know what the impulse setting they refer to is (is that the LED dimming feature). Also there is a French article that mentions a value as low as 0.01 cd/m2 with led dimming enabled....

So my question to you all is:
Does the 65W850 possess better black level and shadow detail than the R550 series? Triluminous and Xreality pro are nice and all but triluminous's main advantage is in Sony extended color range mastered blerays which is not my usual viewing medium. Also I am satisfied with the color on the R550. Also I don't have banding or significant DSE seen on hockey or skiing type viewing. Where I am un happy with it is late night viewing where the blacks could be more desirable and most importantly the flashlighting (mostly in the right corner) is distracting leading me to turning down the panel brightness to minimum and also adjusting another mode on the TV to dim the panel more so as not to distract.
Will I be happier with the blacks on W850. Does the Edge dimming prevent clouding and flashlighting? I am very eager for a set that allows me to watch late night viewing with programming with a lot of dark scenes that doe snot have to many noticeable flaws. I know plasma would be my best choice, but the Samsung 8500 series in 65 inch is1000-1500$ more and I can't justify the expense.
post #3896 of 4353 Old 03-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix123 View Post

How many studs? How does tilt effect 3d? Or does it even matter?

Two studs is standard. Some mounts allow you to attach it across 3 wall studs, but that's overkill for this TV.

The amount of tilt most definitely affects the 3D image, so be mindful of how high/low the TV is mounted (the 2D image is affected as well, but the 3D presentation is more sensitive to off-axis viewing issues).
mix123 likes this.
post #3897 of 4353 Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadoc View Post

Anyone here with opinions on the 70R550 vs. the 65W850A?

On this site: http://televisions.reviewed.com/products/sony-bravia-kdl-60r520a which is essentially same panel as the 70 inch, it gets good reviews and they quote "peak white of 370.70 cd/m2 against a rich black level of 0.065 cd/m2 giving the 60R520A a contrast ratio of 5703:1, which is very good for its tech type"

Perhaps I'm not up on the way these guys review, but I don't buy into that 5703 number for the R520A.  It's almost certainly with a solid black screen with frame dimming on.  Put anything bright on the screen at all even in a corner and you cannot achieve that.

post #3898 of 4353 Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Two studs is standard. Some mounts allow you to attach it across 3 wall studs, but that's overkill for this TV.

The amount of tilt most definitely affects the 3D image, so be mindful of how high/low the TV is mounted (the 2D image is affected as well, but the 3D presentation is more sensitive to off-axis viewing issues).

I used this

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Articulating-684x400-Leveling-Adjustments/dp/B001LL5JDA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1395769002&sr=8-9&keywords=tv+mount

I bought 2 thicker screws and mounted it to 1 stud down the middle of the mount. Then I did 4 drywall anchors, 2 for each side.

It's held up quite well for almost a year. The only problem I have is my stud is not centered in the wall insert. Luckily it's an articulating mount so I was able to pull my tv about 5-6 inches from the wall and re-position so it's centered. It's not very nice on how it's done, but it works and it's held up.

post #3899 of 4353 Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Perhaps I'm not up on the way these guys review, but I don't buy into that 5703 number for the R520A.  It's almost certainly with a solid black screen with frame dimming on.  Put anything bright on the screen at all even in a corner and you cannot achieve that.

Not sure I follow what you are saying. Are you saying it is worse?
post #3900 of 4353 Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got my 70" yesterday, looks fine, no white blobs. Any other specific issues I should look for?

I discovered that having the TV somewhat elevated wrecks the 3D, so I'm going to have to find a lower surface to put it on.

I'm still making my way around the interface. Might have to read the manual. ;-)

The design of the stand means I can't get it as close to the wall behind it as I would have liked, but I don't know whether other sets are any better that way. (I also would have liked a smaller border around the set as I've seen on some other units, but that's minor.)

I was surprised I could not turn on simulated 3D while watching netflix. I got around that by bringing up netflix on my computer and sending it to the TV over HDMI. That was just an experiment to see that it would work, I don't know if there's a difference in pic quality between sending netflix from the computer vs. using the set's built in netflix access. (Speaking of which, the set forgot my Netflix name/password, I had to enter it again today. I'm guessing that was because it did an upgrade in the interim.)

Overall, so far, I'm quite pleased with it. I probably won't have a chance to tinker with the settings (or try some forum users' suggestions) until next month some time.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread