Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 4353 Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakihanna View Post

Glad to hear you got a t.v. without issues. I can't wait to get mine. Am also crossing my fingers that it doesn't have any issues. Have you tried the 3d and did sony send you 4 pair of 3d glasses with it or just 2 in the box?

Thanks! This set is a active 3d..meh not bad the R550 passive 3d was better and also with this set you only get 2 glasses (battery powered)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4353 Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Are your settings similar to the ones used with the 550? My replacement 850 developed curved banding lines suddenly after the first day. Very bad. Waiting for respose from Sony after sending them pictures yesterday, per their request. Build date is 4-2014.
post #4053 of 4353 Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvilln View Post

Thanks! This set is a active 3d..meh not bad the R550 passive 3d was better and also with this set you only get 2 glasses (battery powered)
I called sony and told tham I was giving them back 4 pair of 3d glasses and that the new t.v. only comes with 2, they said as soon as I get my t.v. delivered to call back and they will gladly send out 2 more pair of 3d glasses.
post #4054 of 4353 Old 05-01-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I called sony and told tham I was giving them back 4 pair of 3d glasses and that the new t.v. only comes with 2, they said as soon as I get my t.v. delivered to call back and they will gladly send out 2 more pair of 3d glasses.

Nice!! I for one am happy w/ Sony been with them for 15 plus years in an array of products and they never disappointed me.  Thx for this info as well!

post #4055 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM

So I guess my t.v. has been sitting at a warehouse an hour from my house since yesterday, but I get a call this morning that I have to wait till Monday or Tuesday to get it. I am drying inside, OCD is kicking my ass since I was told that lol
post #4056 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM

That sucks, what freight company are they using?  Im the same way especially with the weekend coming and all the games, I was so anxious that they delivered it on time.  It will be worth the wait though, definitely a better set!

post #4057 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvilln View Post

That sucks, what freight company are they using?  Im the same way especially with the weekend coming and all the games, I was so anxious that they delivered it on time.  It will be worth the wait though, definitely a better set!
They using ceva for me. I call them and ask if I can pick it up.. she said sure thing, so I ask if I was able to inspect it there and to my surprise she said NO!!! I get to inspect it if they deliver it but not if I pick ut up. That's the dumbest thing I have heard. So I ask if tgey had power outlets she said yes. And I very politely ( I think )said well if we gotta take the t.v. out the box in the first place it shouldn't be hard to plug it in to check. She sounded mad at that point and said, do you want it delivered or not. I said yes and hung up lol
post #4058 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Answers.com is worse than wikipedia for verifiable consistency.  In fact, it's a joke.  While you're looking up Hz information on video signals, take a stroll over to their "Bigfoot Yeti And Sasquatch" section....

http://www.answers.com/T/Bigfoot_Yeti_and_Sasquatch

Probably true for the most part . That's why I said "OTOH this may or may not be true for your set?" as usuall their article did not seem complete nor did it provide any verification . TBH I almost did not copy and paste it because of the source . I've never been a fan of Answers .com either
although IMO Wiki is OK ....sometimes.

OTOH maybe someone who knows for sure (I don't) will come along with info for his set. My Sony will accept the above signals and also 59Hz custom resolution as for 50Hz I've never tried it . I might just out of curiosity someday it would only take a few mouse clicks to create a custom setting over HDMI with the PC but I'm doubtful it will work on my Sony although it is 2013 model similar to the OP set . Maybe the OP might be able to find the answer somewhere.

.....I'm the OP for this thread.  You talking to me in the 3rd person?  LOL...

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #4059 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:

They using ceva for me. I call them and ask if I can pick it up.. she said sure thing, so I ask if I was able to inspect it there and to my surprise she said NO!!! I get to inspect it if they deliver it but not if I pick ut up. That's the dumbest thing I have heard. So I ask if tgey had power outlets she said yes. And I very politely ( I think )said well if we gotta take the t.v. out the box in the first place it shouldn't be hard to plug it in to check. She sounded mad at that point and said, do you want it delivered or not. I said yes and hung up lol

LOL fn ceva I had them for my speaker set delivery and they were horrible!

post #4060 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Ceva delivered my 850b this Monday. Two man crew. One spoke no English and the other was almost impossible to understand. They plugged in the Tv, handed me the remote and said nothing else. Packed up the return 550,, had me sign a paper and left. Acceptable I suppose but not the experience I would want if I were Sony.
post #4061 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have had the 70" R550A for almost a year now, have had no reason to check in and complain, so have not checked this thread in a looooong time. My first unit had bad flashlighting, my second unit is flawless to my eye. I am a bit of an electronics junky, and have 7 LED/LCDs and 2 PJs between my home and cottage, so I have seen my fair share of screens. The 3d is quite impressive, although we don't use that feature often. This is our main TV in our family room, so my 3 kids really put it through it's paces, as it spends alot of time in use. Guests are still impressed by the PQ and 70" size! Great bang for the buck...
tgm1024 and redvilln like this.
post #4062 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^Thanks!  It's SUPER important to have folks that have had good experiences chime in as much as possible.

It's the nature of forums to collect the posts that sound like doom and gloom.

redvilln likes this.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #4063 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I think he means the OP as in the original poster of the question he answered. Not the thread starter. cool.gif
post #4064 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Well i finally got around to write down my settings if some1 wants to try it on their R550A

Scene select: Game
Settings: Cstom
Backlight: 6
Picture: Max
Bightness: 49
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Shapness: 7
Color Temp: neutral
Everything else would be grayed out here. Now in Advance setting
Adv. Contrast: Off
Black Correction: Off
Gamma: 0
Clear white: Low
Live Color Medium
Led Mode: Off
This are the settings i used the whole time i had used the set. I loved the picture on this set and so sad i have to par with it. Hope someone enjoys my settings as much as i did. I calibrated the settings with Disney wow, and decided to do it in game mode, so i didn't have to switch back and forth when i played my games or watched TV/movies.
post #4065 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well i finally got around to write down my settings if some1 wants to try it on their R550A

Scene select: Game
Settings: Cstom
Backlight: 6
Picture: Max
Bightness: 49
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Shapness: 7
Color Temp: neutral
Everything else would be grayed out here. Now in Advance setting
Adv. Contrast: Off
Black Correction: Off
Gamma: 0
Clear white: Low
Live Color Medium
Led Mode: Off
This are the settings i used the whole time i had used the set. I loved the picture on this set and so sad i have to par with it. Hope someone enjoys my settings as much as i did. I calibrated the settings with Disney wow, and decided to do it in game mode, so i didn't have to switch back and forth when i played my games or watched TV/movies.

Live color: medium

Clear white: low

Could you tell me what made you choose those two, and what differences occurred when you mucked with them?

post #4066 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can tell you that I have Clear White set to High these days. It makes white things brighter white and less yellowish brown.

As for Live Color, I find that best turned off. It makes colors too cartoonish for my taste and emphasizes differences in flesh pigmentation, making slightly redder splotches look like open sores.

Harry
bakihanna likes this.
post #4067 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

I can tell you that I have Clear White set to High these days. It makes white things brighter white and less yellowish brown.

As for Live Color, I find that best turned off. It makes colors too cartoonish for my taste and emphasizes differences in flesh pigmentation, making slightly redder splotches look like open sores.

Harry
I thought color were perfect at that setting but eveyone taste is different. The colors are brighter with it on medium but not as insane as on high lol
post #4068 of 4353 Old 05-02-2014, 08:25 PM

I also have all eco settings off but I think everyone here does anyways. Hahahaha
post #4069 of 4353 Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Probably true for the most part . That's why I said "OTOH this may or may not be true for your set?" as usuall their article did not seem complete nor did it provide any verification . TBH I almost did not copy and paste it because of the source . I've never been a fan of Answers .com either
although IMO Wiki is OK ....sometimes.

OTOH maybe someone who knows for sure (I don't) will come along with info for his set. My Sony will accept the above signals and also 59Hz custom resolution as for 50Hz I've never tried it . I might just out of curiosity someday it would only take a few mouse clicks to create a custom setting over HDMI with the PC but I'm doubtful it will work on my Sony although it is 2013 model similar to the OP set . Maybe the OP might be able to find the answer somewhere.

If anybody would be kind enough to throw a 50hz signal at their R550, via pc or any other medium, that'd be very helpful. I have the option of inheriting a Nth American set, but living in New Zealand alot of media is output at fifty, rather than sixty hertz.
post #4070 of 4353 Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post

If anybody would be kind enough to throw a 50hz signal at their R550, via pc or any other medium, that'd be very helpful. I have the option of inheriting a Nth American set, but living in New Zealand alot of media is output at fifty, rather than sixty hertz.
I just tried it for you. Put my Pc on 50hz at 1920x1080 and works juts fine. also played a pal movie and it played fine, But movie also played in 1080p/24.
Nimoy likes this.
post #4071 of 4353 Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post

I just tried it for you. Put my Pc on 50hz at 1920x1080 and works juts fine. also played a pal movie and it played fine, But movie also played in 1080p/24.

Bakihanna, where did you buy your TV?

post #4072 of 4353 Old 05-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Best buy, I live in Kansas city. But I have a couple of blu rays, I have bought on Amazon uk. I have a hacked firmware on my panny 3d player so I can change regions at will.
post #4073 of 4353 Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks! That's just what I wanted to hear.
post #4074 of 4353 Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Best buy, I live in Kansas city. But I have a couple of blu rays, I have bought on Amazon uk. I have a hacked firmware on my panny 3d player so I can change regions at will.

When you drove the TV at 1080p50, did it say 50Hz in the upper left corner?

post #4075 of 4353 Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:

When you drove the TV at 1080p50, did it say 50Hz in the upper left corner?
all I got was a 1080p/ 16:9 and on the movie I was able to see the main menu which on my samsung is pitch black with a msg that signal is out or reach or something like that. Movie just displays as 1080p/24. Am at work at the moment but I will try playing a game under 50hz b4 they delivery guy takes it today and get back to ya.
post #4076 of 4353 Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Well my replacement came early so didn't get a chance to try 50hz with a game... My new 70w830b has banding issues will call sony later and see what my options are.
post #4077 of 4353 Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

My bad I should have realized you were the OP and said your set sorry about that☺ Looks like you guys are getting a handle on it .
From what I have read 50Hz within HDMI specifications but it seems Sony is not specific on some (including my US model) as to whether or not they will accept a 50Hz signal seems some here will though.

best regards .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #4078 of 4353 Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Exact same problem I have with my replacement 70w850b. Sent pictures per their request on 4-30. Next morning 5-1 received e-mail confirming receipt of pictures and they will review problem and let me know what\if they will do anything. I had the tv for less than 24 hours before I contacted them. Several pictures of this problem here on the 850 thread. I was told this problem was unknown to them. Still waiting to hear back from Sony.
post #4079 of 4353 Old 05-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Exact same problem I have with my replacement 70w850b. Sent pictures per their request on 4-30. Next morning 5-1 received e-mail confirming receipt of pictures and they will review problem and let me know what\if they will do anything. I had the tv for less than 24 hours before I contacted them. Several pictures of this problem here on the 850 thread. I was told this problem was unknown to them. Still waiting to hear back from Sony.
just got back from best buy, they transfer my warranty from the R550A to a 70W850B not sure why. They also told me it doesn't matter if they don't sell my model there. Since am always buying crap there, they will take care of me. Glad I have an option if Sony don't want to replace it again. Keep us posted on what sony tells you.
post #4080 of 4353 Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM

redvilln and Levardw like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page