Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 4301 Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Yeah, what sucks is that it's nearly impossible to verify.  I'm not even sure I trust links from displaysearch any longer because lately it seems to me that some stuff looks like they're trying to lend credibility to certain manufacturers.

I don't believe anyone's reporting here on manufacturers unless it's citing a credible source (absolutely notwikipedia).  The 70" thing being a Sharp I *might* suspect because ("I read" LOL) that Sharp might have the only fabrication plant capable of 70" without lots of waste, but even THAT I don't trust.

To sum up my recent questionings:
1. I don't believe it's certain that a passive 3D screen needs to be made from LG.
2. I don't believe it's certain that an IPS screen needs to have chevron shaped subpixels.
3. I don't believe that Sony will ever faithfully report who is supplying what; the only exception is possibly their joint venture with Sharp some number of years ago 2009 which is still in effect (I think), and I'm not sure who is making what at this point.
4. AUO and similar manufacturers seem to be accounting for ever larger shares, but *those* numbers are also suspect.

BTW, absolutely none of this is indicting you: We've all done it by accident---repeat information we've read here, but some of this information is starting to become cyclically self affirming in nature.  I try to go back in time periodically and remove my own posts that quote someone else who themselves are questionably informed, but that's pointless really because no one reads past a certain number of posts.

Wasn't that partnership with Samsung a few years ago and not Sharp? I think they ended it in 2011?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4301 Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Probably the biggest concern in 2015 and beyond is addressed in your comment #4. You mention AUO "AND SIMILAR MANUFACTURES". The question is,"who are these other manufactures and how many are there?" Assuming I am correct in determining the two most recent screens I've had, that being that the 70w850b uses the IPS panel and the 65w850a uses the S-PVA panel. I actually like the blacks in both panels with both incorporating X-Reality Pro. The IPS panel has better off axis viewing and a more matt screen, but suffers from noticeable radial banding and according to the CNET review as well as several owners here at this forum, the 3d is terrible. The S-PVA panel seems to have a bit more depth, uses TRILUMNUS, and has outstanding 3d but off axis viewing is weak but not a problem for me.
post #4143 of 4301 Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenDokuYaku View Post

Wasn't that partnership with Samsung a few years ago and not Sharp? I think they ended it in 2011?

No. 

Quote from Reuters page above on Sony:
In December 2009, Sharp Display Products Corporation, a joint venture between Sony and Sharp Corporation for the production and sale of large-sized liquid crystal display (LCD) panels and modules was established.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #4144 of 4301 Old 05-23-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
HenDokuYaku wrote ,

3. I don't believe that Sony will ever faithfully report who is supplying what; the only exception is possibly their joint venture with Sharp some number of years ago 2009 which is still in effect (I think), and I'm not sure who is making what at this point.

You can reliably find your exact panel mfr and version in the service menu then look it up here http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch.php?op=advancedsearch

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #4145 of 4301 Old 05-24-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
hello i have a question for you all I'm about to purchase this tv or the kdl65w850 I'm stuck between the two i need some expert help i don't care about the smart features i only care about the PQ and the 3d i don't mind getting a smaller tv if the PQ is waaaay better on the kdl65w850 i see that it has TRILUMINOS display the other sony doesn't and one has active 3d and passive which I've heard passive is better i hope you can help the link for the two are at the bottom which one do you recommend thank you in advance
ReplyQuote Multi
post #4146 of 4301 Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Getting back on topic... ever since I purchased my R550A, I had been experiencing an issue with sporadic 'stuttering' of the video whenever the camera pans horizontally - the faster the movement, the more pronounced the problem. The frustrating part was that the issue was a bit hard to isolate, but appeared to be related to the source type. It never happened with blu-ray movies, only occasionally with broadcast cable, and most frequently with downloaded video content i.e. MKV's, in particular, lower-bitrate encoded files. I finally tracked the problem down to the Cinemotion video setting. Specifically, Cinemotion Auto1. The stuttering all but disappeared with Cinemotion turned off or switched to Auto 2. Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else was running into the same problem.
tgm1024 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4147 of 4301 Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

Getting back on topic... ever since I purchased my R550A, I had been experiencing an issue with sporadic 'stuttering' of the video whenever the camera pans horizontally - the faster the movement, the more pronounced the problem. The frustrating part was that the issue was a bit hard to isolate, but appeared to be related to the source type. It never happened with blu-ray movies, only occasionally with broadcast cable, and most frequently with downloaded video content i.e. MKV's, in particular, lower-bitrate encoded files. I finally tracked the problem down to the Cinemotion video setting. Specifically, Cinemotion Auto1. The stuttering all but disappeared with Cinemotion turned off or switched to Auto 2. Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else was running into the same problem.

ABSOLUTELY.  I wasn't aware of Cinemotion off/auto2, but I can say that some episodes of "House, M.D." (the crazy doctor show) have horrendous jumping around from time to time.

This has recently gotten much better.  I can't figure out if it was a firmware update or not.  But it's still there from time to time and it drives me nuts.

What was interesting is that it never shows on the commercials.  ONLY on the show itself, and not all the time.  Right now the incidents are down, but still occur.  And they also happened when I tell FIOS to send the signal unmolested to my TV (and not auto convert to 1080i60).

Here's what's COMPLETELY nuts about it: I think there are two things going on simultaneously.  But I can't fault-isolate just WTF it is!  FIOS could be doing a hasty conversion from a previously shot in 720 show.  Or the original encoding could be crap.  Or our TV just doesn't handle telecine judder well at all (though why that only happens on some 1080i shows and not the commercials indicates that this can't be it.)  And it's FAR worse than the average telecine judder anyway.  This is no mere pulldown artifact.

And to make it COMPLETELY maddening, on perhaps 3 occasions I was able to see a very weird effect when on pause and stepping through (FROM THE DVR) a frame at a time.  So that indicates it's not the TV, at least not for that one test.

And most times if I step through frame by frame I can't see the jumping.

Good GRIEF!!!!

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #4148 of 4301 Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Liked: 18
Let me weigh in with a few items about this judder effect.

1 - I first noticed it on the R550a when tuned to a MeTV station that was running a filmed show. I was trying to give it the Soap Opera Effect, so I had the Cinemotion set to high or 1 or whatever that setting is. Since MeTV is running sped-up versions of its shows, to fit more commercials in, I believe that whatever is used to do the speed-up is causing the Cinemotion to choke. It's looking for films running at 24 fps, but it's getting something else.

2 - On a few other occasions, I've noticed the same type of judder on some other shows, either locally broadcast or even on network TV. We are strictly over-the-air, so there's no cable involved. And on some of these filmed shows, the judder was also present. It's possible that the shows involved were MIKE & MOLLY, CRIMINAL MINDS, and/or THE GOOD WIFE, since that's about all of the network TV we watch. What surprised me was that these were major network shows, yet still exhibiting the same judder that I got from MeTV's sped-up shows.

My theory is that network TV is really up against it right now. They're already forcing their program suppliers to do half-hour shows in 19 minutes, and hour shows are being supplied at 41 minutes and change, if that. These networks simply cannot shorten the shows any further to squeeze in more promos and commercials, so they're beginning to resort to tactics of speed-up. It's slight, and it's not too bad right now, and it doesn't happen all the time. It's possible that I noticed this during a tight sweeps period where commercial inventory is more valuable and precious. (I spent 30-odd years in radio, so I know how this goes.)

Anyway, it's very possible that a station or cable channel running HOUSE MD would be subjecting it to speed-up, and I believe that it causing Cinemotion to choke.

Harry
post #4149 of 4301 Old 05-29-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^That may be related (or the problem, it'll be impossible to tell), but for me I have to point out that it only happens on older shows.

Perhaps it's because:

1. only certain crap networks show older shows, and they are more likely to outright @#$% up the encoding. or

2. The older shows' content is longer than newer ones are (they had fewer commercials in the day) and as a result they're the ones most likely to have a problem with frame dropping?

post #4150 of 4301 Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone seen an issue with pink screen?
KDL60R550A purchased in November 2013
everything is plugged in through a receiver though HDMI1
About once a month I notice that the video coming in through HDMI1 is pink, the smart apps built into the tv (netflix, amazon) all work fine.
After the first time I eventually figured out that if I unplug the tv and plug it back in then the video starts working fine again.

The tv also has screen blobs but I find this unplugging the tv kinda annoying.
I have the latest firmware (updated about a week ago) but it has happened with the last couple firmwares
post #4151 of 4301 Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoopMeep View Post

About once a month I notice that the video coming in through HDMI1 is pink, the smart apps built into the tv (netflix, amazon) all work fine.
After the first time I eventually figured out that if I unplug the tv and plug it back in then the video starts working fine again.

I have the latest firmware (updated about a week ago) but it has happened with the last couple firmwares

This sounds like something that needs to be returned. Document it with photos the next time you see these phenomena.
post #4152 of 4301 Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Odd, my tv randomly shut off late last night and then came right back on. Would appear that it was a complete shutdown (not standby) as when I turned the PS3 on today it had to reestablish the HDMI connection. You know where it asks you if this is the right setting. Only does that if you disconnect the PS3 from the tv, like killing the power.

I'm 100% sure the house power did not go out. There are other electronics on that circuit that were not affected.

At first I thought the wife had set the tv's sleep timer and it went off, until the TV came right back on by itself. Strange. confused.gif
post #4153 of 4301 Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoopMeep View Post

post #4154 of 4301 Old 05-29-2014, 08:00 PM

I have had the TV for a year and have also experienced the pink screen from time to time, it's normally fixed with switching of inputs or power off/on, it started 1 month after I got it and fry's said I would have to ship it back to Sony so I just kept it, love the TV outside of the rare pink screen.
post #4155 of 4301 Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've always thought that a pink screen was due to an HDMI/HDCP handshake of some sort - I see it occasionally when my WDTV Live is booting up, but it's not 'stuck' there - it eventually negotiates the connection and the display comes up.

post #4156 of 4301 Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, now I'm confused about the DLNA support.

Did something change?

I would have sworn that at one point there was access to an actual PLEX app icon someplace, no?  Or am I confusing products...

I'm trying to decide between

• Windows Media Center (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
  • Plex
  • XBMC

...but first need clarification of how the TV access this stuff.  I know that I can access the pictures/video/music directly from a PC running WMC or WMP, without the need for the icon, but I had thought that Plex requires the plex app to be running.  No?

post #4157 of 4301 Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hooked up a friend of mines CT-260 Sony soundbar to my tv today and noticed when I go to use any remote other than the one for the soundbar to adjust the volume, when I hit volume up or down the tv says "tv volume is fixed". Is there a setting to change that would allow me to use my tv remote to change the soundbar volume. Changing the setting of audio from fixed to variable gets rid of the message but when i change the "tv volume" the number changes but there is no change in volume through the soundbar. This was not a problem when I have my receiver hooked up.
post #4158 of 4301 Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

To get variable line out on TV goto settings > speakers > audio system > OK /enter then scroll down to next screen set to variable all done .
it will work as intended (variable line out to soundbar or whatever. )

To return to TV speakers go to Options > TV speakers after that you can just toggle back and forth in Options/Speakers between audio system and speakers and have variable line out or normal TV speaker operation .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #4159 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

To get variable line out on TV goto settings > speakers > audio system > OK /enter then scroll down to next screen set to variable all done .

To return to TV speakers go to Options > TV speakers after that you can just toggle back and forth in Options/Speakers between audio system and speakers and have variable line out or normal TV speaker operation .

Thank you for the quick response. I have the variable selected already but the problem is that changing the volume on the tv with variable selected and the audio system selected does not change the volume on the sound bar. Whether I have it set to 1 or 51 doesn't make any difference coming out of the sound bar. The only way to adjust it through the sound bar is with the remote for the sound bar.
post #4160 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post

Quote:

Thank you for the quick response. I have the variable selected already but the problem is that changing the volume on the tv with variable selected and the audio system selected does not change the volume on the sound bar. Whether I have it set to 1 or 51 doesn't make any difference coming out of the sound bar. The only way to adjust it through the sound bar is with the remote for the sound bar.

IIRC, it seems to me that I noticed that with this TV that variable-out didn't work once I was using S/PDIF (toslink).  I'm not quite sure what is up there.

post #4161 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IIRC, it seems to me that I noticed that with this TV that variable-out didn't work once I was using S/PDIF (toslink).  I'm not quite sure what is up there.

Variable only works on the analog 2ch stereo 3.5mm out or RCA out on older sets.

With Audio system On and speakers OFF the S/PDIF Toslink loudness remains fixed by design and the amplified playback device controls the loudness .

post #4162 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Toslink is Optical PCM digital datastream (glass cable). The D/A conversion is done at the playback device and is not a variable output .
Variable only works on the analog 2ch stereo 3.5mm out or RCA out on older sets.
I use the variable 3.5mm analog out on my Sony in the bedroom .

I'm sorry I don't fully follow a lot of what this means but can I not achieve what I'm trying to with an optical cable?
post #4163 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Toslink is Optical PCM digital datastream (glass cable). The D/A conversion is done at the playback device and is not a variable output .
I use the variable 3.5mm analog out on my Sony in the bedroom .

Now I'm confused as well.  Digital or not, there is a volume to the waveform and that volume can be tapered at the source, no?

post #4164 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What HDMI port do you have your BDP connected to?

Mine is connected to HDMI #3, but then I noticed in page 10 of the manual (bold is mine):

Quote:
An HDMI or Component video (YPBPR) connection is required to view 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
and 1080p video formats. 1080/24p is available only with HDMI/MHL connection.

What could this possibly mean?  That to see blu-ray at 1080p24 requires HDMI slot #2 only (the only one called "HDMI/MHL")?  Or did they mean "you can only get 1080p24 via HMDI OR MHL but not component"?

post #4165 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I'm confused as well.  Digital or not, there is a volume to the waveform and that volume can be tapered at the source, no?

Yes you are absolutely right it can be modified before conversion to light transmission over Toslink but they don't allow that for some reason .
tgm1024 likes this.

post #4166 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM

OK, so my replaced tv has the same issues as the first, the many many white blobs!!!

Sony said they are sending someone to inspect the tv in person and would confirm within 3 days etc.......i got a call yesterday saying someone would be out soon but they needed to order the parts to fix the the issue.....my question is what parts would be needed to fix the white blobs???? i'm sure it would be easier just to replace it??
post #4167 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

New panel or maybe backlight /diffuser panels ? It might be easier and probably cheaper for Sony to replace it unless they have developed a field (panel repair) procedure ( maybe hitting it with a rubber mallet in the right places ☺.... or replacing some of the panel light guide/diffuser/filter panels in the field . It could be Sony and or the panel vendor may have developed a field repair ? (unlikely as that may be )

post #4168 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That's exactly the same thing they told me. When the service guy arrived the first thing he told me was the part they ordered had absolutely nothing to do with the problem and there was absolutely nothing they or he could do to fix the problem. It's poor execution of the edge lit LED set up. I waited a few days, at his suggestion, and called SONY. The girl in tech service said the technician said (his paper work according to her) the set was normal and need no repair. When I told her what the rep told me she kind of him hawed around for a few minutes and asked me to wait. She came back and offered to refund my purchase price but I would lose my sales tax and my delivery charge, and oh by the way, it would take 6-8 weeks for me to get my check. I wrote a rather unpleasant e-mail to Sony Customer service and kind of mentioned BBB. and they agreed to send me a new 70w850b which had some terrible banding problems. When I complained about that set I was called by a nice guy from Sony Corp. in Florida. He agreed to send me a replacement 70w850b. I had done some research and found that the new as yet unreleased 65w950b would soon be available. I asked him for that set or the super highly reviewed on Amazon, 65w850a. He said take my pick and after reading a few bad things about the 65w950b I chose the 65w850a. After owning it for 10 days I can say it deserves all of the accolades it's garnered. Spectacular picture with the X-Reality Pro engine and Triluminunce color feature. Maybe the best non 4K TV Sony will ever make. IMO of course.
post #4169 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

That's exactly the same thing they told me. When the service guy arrived the first thing he told me was the part they ordered had absolutely nothing to do with the problem and there was absolutely nothing they or he could do to fix the problem. It's poor execution of the edge lit LED set up. I waited a few days, at his suggestion, and called SONY. The girl in tech service said the technician said (his paper work according to her) the set was normal and need no repair. When I told her what the rep told me she kind of him hawed around for a few minutes and asked me to wait. She came back and offered to refund my purchase price but I would lose my sales tax and my delivery charge, and oh by the way, it would take 6-8 weeks for me to get my check. I wrote a rather unpleasant e-mail to Sony Customer service and kind of mentioned BBB. and they agreed to send me a new 70w850b which had some terrible banding problems. When I complained about that set I was called by a nice guy from Sony Corp. in Florida. He agreed to send me a replacement 70w850b. I had done some research and found that the new as yet unreleased 65w950b would soon be available. I asked him for that set or the super highly reviewed on Amazon, 65w850a. He said take my pick and after reading a few bad things about the 65w950b I chose the 65w850a. After owning it for 10 days I can say it deserves all of the accolades it's garnered. Spectacular picture with the X-Reality Pro engine and Triluminunce color feature. Maybe the best non 4K TV Sony will ever make. IMO of course.

glad they took care of you!!!! yes when i got the call about they are ordering parts i just shook my head thinking i doubt they can fix it in house and it would be much cheaper just to replace it!!

btw, what size tv did you have originally? i see they offered you 70 and 65 in......
post #4170 of 4301 Old 06-01-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetitstarted View Post

glad they took care of you!!!! yes when i got the call about they are ordering parts i just shook my head thinking i doubt they can fix it in hou and it would be much cheaper just to replace it!!

btw, what size tv did you have originally? i see they offered you 70 and 65 in......[/quote

I had the 70r550a then the replacement was the 70w850b which was active 3d but it was 70in. I decided to sacrifice the extra 5in for a better 65in model. They did not offer, I requested. The 65w850a retailed on the Sony site for less than the 70w850b and the 65w950b. Regarding my conversation with the Sony rep on the phone. She told me a new circuit board was ordered and they were sure that was the problem. It ended up being back ordered twice. A full month later the tech rep arrived to do the repair. He told me then that he was absolutely certain that the fix would not work and could not fix any clouding issue. He was correct.

When I asked what part they ordered she said it was a circuit board. When I expressed by doubts she assured me that they knew exactly what the problem was and the new circuit board would fix it. When the service tech was installing the part he said he was certain thatthe pa
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page