Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 140 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4171 of 4197 Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmmm, I am kinda thinking that you may be right. I don't get the pink screen enough but I am thinking it may occur because of the timing of turning on various things. In my case once it happens it seems to be stuck, once it happens the only way I can fix it is by pulling the power cord to the tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4197 Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 273
removed

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #4173 of 4197 Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

removed

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #4174 of 4197 Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

removed

post #4175 of 4197 Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post

Thank you for the quick response. I have the variable selected already but the problem is that changing the volume on the tv with variable selected and the audio system selected does not change the volume on the sound bar. Whether I have it set to 1 or 51 doesn't make any difference coming out of the sound bar. The only way to adjust it through the sound bar is with the remote for the sound bar.

I have the vizio s4251 soundbar system which is toslink optical connection and I could program my Sony remote controls to control the soundbar volume up and down

If I have my tv set to variable, when I press volume up/down, it would change both my tv and soundbar volume, which is not ideal.

if I set the option to audio system, when I press up/down my tv would say that it's controlled by an audio system and my soundbar volume would go up and down with nothing out from my TV.
post #4176 of 4197 Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
f I set the option to audio system, when I press up/down my tv would say that it's controlled by an audio system and my soundbar volume would go up and down with nothing out from my TV.

That's kinda how it works with my Sony (sort of ) I never tried Toslink out with the speakers enabled . or using the TV to contol loudess over Toslink it won't with the speakers OFF anyway AFAIK .

With Toslink connected to an amplified device and TV Speakers OFF and the TV digital audio output /system or whatever set to ON on the Amplified playback device controls loudness that's by design .

post #4177 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My tv is connected (via 3.5mm) to 2 small external self-powered, self volume controlled speakers placed on the nightstands. This is so the wife and I watching in bed can set our own volume. Anyhow, a couple of things happen that you may find interesting. The speaker on my side tends to get louder for no reason sometimes - really loud. And I have to turn it back down. Another thing I noticed is that when I set Netflix to output 2.0 stereo instead of 5.1 the sound suddenly got better from all the speakers.

We usually have the tv speakers on as well as the nightstand speakers. The nightstand speakers have their own power and volume control and are plugged into the 120v wall outlet and to the tv with about 50 feet of 3.5mm mono cable. Speakers set to mono. The volume out on the tv is set to fixed or line out and surround sound is off. The speakers are actually backyard all weather speakers that can be hooked up wirelessly, but they are not as I was picking up the neighbors tv too many times.

I'm not really posting about a problem as I chalk this "going loud" up to the fact that these are not very high quality speakers. Rather I'm just sharing for those of you that love to ponder the technical stuff. I found it funny that the tv sound changed when I turned Netflix over to 2.0 as I thought the tv itself would do that anyhow as there are no sources (tv included) hooked to the tv that can play anything better than 2.0. There is no AV receiver in the mix.
post #4178 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

removed

post #4179 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

removed

post #4180 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed !

post #4181 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry to bump, but does any one know if they moved or deleted the original 3d demos. I wanted to show off the fencing, tennis, gymnast, and flying toy demo but can't seem to find it. Any help appreciated.
post #4182 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Liked: 11
I have seen it once a few months ago but cannot find it any more. I think it is gone.
post #4183 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 03:10 PM

....And this has been "point / counter-point" with.... lol

May I suggest you guys delete / edit your bickering posts just to keep the thread clean?

And not that I am calling either of you this - I AM NOT - but I once heard that even if you win an argument on-line you're still just a loser. Laugh damn you, laugh. lol
post #4184 of 4197 Old 06-04-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

May I suggest you guys delete / edit your bickering posts just to keep the thread clean?

And not that I am calling either of you this - I AM NOT - but I once heard that even if you win an argument on-line you're still just a loser. Laugh damn you, laugh. lol

Fine.

LOL.

(lol)

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #4185 of 4197 Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm good with that, regrettably in hindsight I believe it was a simple misunderstanding and TBH it may have started with me not writing something correctly or at least explaining it so it was able to be easily understood in the way I intended , and I'll add I may have misunderstood tgm1024 's replies in turn ,compounding things and got carried away he made some pretty good points . I'll clean up my trash,admit to my mistake and try to be more careful going forward , I'm sure we can move on no harm no foul ☺.
tgm1024 likes this.

post #4186 of 4197 Old 06-05-2014, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Quote:

I'm good with that, regrettably in hindsight I believe it was a simple misunderstanding and TBH it may have started with me not writing something correctly or at least explaining it so it was able to be easily understood in the way I intended , and I'll add I may have misunderstood tgm1024 's replies in turn ,compounding things and got carried away he made some pretty good points . I'll clean up my trash,admit to my mistake and try to be more careful going forward , I'm sure we can move on no harm no foul ☺.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly the easiest going on this one either.  I can see how someone might think I was talking about the line discipline when I said "waveform".  I think part of the problem with usenet, forums, and once in a while emails is that tone is so easily misunderstood, and in the case of forums it's hard to tell what the person understands already so it's easy to completely miss what they're saying, as happened on both sides here.  We were literally talking past each other at one point.  So I'm certainly sorry for my role in this.

Happily cleaning it up.

EDIT: Ok, I think I got it all.  Let me know if I missed one.

BTW, it occurred to me in all this that perhaps there's a peculiar licensing issue here that Sony is handcuffed into honoring that protects the digital data stream preventing them from decoding it, mucking with the volume, re-encoding it and sending it along?  I honestly don't know.  I read elsewhere that this is why you can't get better than 5.1 (or maybe 7.1?) back-channeled by ARC, so perhaps there's something similar going on with toslink.  But again, I'm just guessing.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #4187 of 4197 Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

tgm1024

greetings
Glad you are OK with how things turned out now . Thanks BTW. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony and the other Music/Movie Studios implemented DRM copyright protection in everything wherever they could and maybe consumer AV Toslink as well good question ! You bring up an interesting point there completely believable also . Luckily I have a Sony ES AVR and the ARC works sorta OK . We know they sure crippled HDMI with DRM/HDCP that's for sure .

Regards

post #4188 of 4197 Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I used the "send to TV" feature on my tablet's YouTube app for the first time yesterday: pretty neat! I did ran into some problems with my receiver, but nothing related to the TV itself. One question I have is if it's possible to use HDMI/ARC to send the audio back to the AVR? I fiddled with a bunch of settings on both the TV and my receiver (Denon x2000) with no success, so I had to use the TV speakers. FYI all my devices are connected to my AVR, and the AVR is connected to the HDMI 2 input on the TV.
post #4189 of 4197 Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

I used the "send to TV" feature on my tablet's YouTube app for the first time yesterday: pretty neat! I did ran into some problems with my receiver, but nothing related to the TV itself. One question I have is if it's possible to use HDMI/ARC to send the audio back to the AVR? I fiddled with a bunch of settings on both the TV and my receiver (Denon x2000) with no success, so I had to use the TV speakers. FYI all my devices are connected to my AVR, and the AVR is connected to the HDMI 2 input on the TV.

ARC is only supported on HDMI 1.

Here's how it's worded in the manual:

Quote:

HDMI IN 1 (ARC)
HDMI IN 2/MHL
HDMI IN 3
HDMI IN 4

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) provides an uncompressed,
all-digital audio/video interface between this TV and any HDMI-equipped
audio/video equipment, such as a set-top box, DVD player, and A/V
receiver. HDMI supports enhanced, or high-definition video, plus digital
audio.

You can also connect your MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) device to
HDMI IN 2/MHL using an MHL cable. In addition, when you connect
BRAVIA Sync-compatible equipment, communication with the connected
device is supported.

If connecting a digital audio system that is compatible with Audio Return
Channel (ARC) technology, use HDMI IN 1 (ARC). If not, an additional
connection with DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) is necessary.

post #4190 of 4197 Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvilln View Post

Sony support phone number 239-245-6245.

You will have to navigate to the TV department, fairly quick transfer to a rep each time I called.  Once you speak to the rep they will advise you to send pictures of the blobs/streaks.  Take a good amount of pictures which clearly show the defect.  Sony rep will relay to you the email to send the pics and give you a case number.
Once the aforementioned step is complete they take about 1-2 days and will call you back with their offer saying they will replace it.  Majority of members here with the dreadful blobs got that offer since Sony cannot repair the issue.  They will most likely offer you KDLW830B or 850B, both are the same model, 830 has a chrome finish stand.
If they try to low ball you or give you the run around ie try to offer a 65 inch or non 3D tell them heck no and that you want to speak to a lead/manager etc.  I would not tell any rep, "well other owners got the W850B model etc etc"  because they may give you a hard time.
Once the exchange is in place they will follow up with you and give a tracking number/delivery timeframe.

Just a follow up, Sony is replacing my 70R550A with the 830B model. Once I explained the problems I was having, they asked me to send a copy of my receipt and then approved the replacement. No muss, no fuss. My 830 will arrive in a couple of days. This is the fist time I've ever had to replace a TV under warranty and I'm very impressed and happy with how Sony handled this.

Sony 70W830B & Epson HC2000 1080P 3D Projector
Xbox One & PS4
XBL Gamertag: JonnyRingo619
post #4191 of 4197 Old 06-22-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Just a follow up, Sony is replacing my 70R550A with the 830B model. Once I explained the problems I was having, they asked me to send a copy of my receipt and then approved the replacement. No muss, no fuss. My 830 will arrive in a couple of days. This is the fist time I've ever had to replace a TV under warranty and I'm very impressed and happy with how Sony handled this.
The 830B is Active 3D, correct? You liking the tv?
post #4192 of 4197 Old 06-22-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone notice a decrease in motion handling quality recently? Things are looking dramatically worse lately.
post #4193 of 4197 Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Anyone notice a decrease in motion handling quality recently? Things are looking dramatically worse lately.
Nope. The TV is as dazzling as the day I bought it. Maybe more so, since I have the settings the way they look best to me.

I watched a bit of the soccer tournament the other day and turned on the motionflow which really smoothed out the quick pans.

Still happy!

Harry
post #4194 of 4197 Old 06-23-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I have not and we watch ALOT of weekend TV. Mostly Netflix. Haven't noticed anything different. Of course that doesn't mean it's not there. ;-)

Btw, I'm really hard pressed to notice those white spots I talked so much about months ago. Think we called it flash-lighting. Anyhow, not an issue anymore.
Funny, the tv is alot like a woman - every little thing bothers you at first, but eventually that ole gals your best friend. ;-)
post #4195 of 4197 Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
The 830B is Active 3D, correct? You liking the tv?
Yes, 830B is active 3D, came with a pair of active 3D glasses too (tho I haven't tried the 3D yet). I've had the 830B for a little over a week now and have to say, I love it! The colors seem to "pop" more and the matte screen really helps in my bright living room (less reflections). I've been analzing the screen for defects and happy to report, I haven't found any. Really pleased with Sony customer service for honoring their warranty and making the exchange painless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140616_091453.jpg (115.2 KB, 18 views)

Sony 70W830B & Epson HC2000 1080P 3D Projector
Xbox One & PS4
XBL Gamertag: JonnyRingo619
post #4196 of 4197 Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 PM

Liked: 13
I have the 70R550A, and am looking to get the Oppo BDP-103D player. Considering what's already built into the Sony (as well as the Oppo), what would be the benefit of getting the optional Roku stick for the Oppo?
post #4197 of 4197 Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Liked: 14
Hey scott,

Let us know how that comes out. I too want the same oppo. I'm really currious to see what that does for the picture quality. Not to mention, having true 7.1 analog output, that would work great with my denon 4520.

But now we have this new atmos audio getting ready to come out, so for me, I still may wait for oppo to add that too.......

Good luck...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page