Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 141 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4201 of 4204 Old 07-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
***working with Sony for ANOTHER replacement, #4 ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyan View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by JohnRyan 

***working with Sony for a replacement***

I purchased my 60R550a (serial number 6xxxxx) back in June ‘13 and immediately noticed a "blob" measuring roughly 17" by 8" located in the middle of my screen. Tends to be more noticeable on white and light colored backgrounds. Knowing the TV came with a one-year warranty, I didn't experience a sense of urgency to call and get this resolved. Perhaps the hesitation came from the anticipation of having to call and deal with customer service and not knowing how well they would take care of me. I called Sony customer service and described the issue as a slight discoloration permanently fixed in a certain area of the screen.

After stepping through some meaningful troubleshooting (i.e., removing the plug from a surge protector and plugging it directly into the wall…because THAT’S what would cause something like this :-^) they offered to send me a recertified TV “comparable to the same model” and a two year warranty. I accepted.

Within a week, the replacement came via CEVA and ‘white glove’ service. They installed the replacement TV, packed up the old TV, then waited for me to inspect the replacement TV. Unfortunately, the replacement TV had the same issue…but five times over! It looked like there was a turkey on my TV. There were five “blobs” the same size as my original “blob” but in turkey tail formation. I could not accept that. They unpacked my original TV and repacked the replacement and I signed the “refusal of delivery” notice.

Sony called not more than an hour later to confirm the situation. They are sending another replacement TV within the next week. We’ll try this again. I’m not sure how many times we’ll need to go through this before they try a different strategy but I’m willing to repeat the process until I receive an acceptable replacement.

That’s the story and current status of my TV containing a ‘blob’.

UPDATE: Sony sent a replacement 60R550a (serial number 6xxxxx) earlier this week. I don't see "blobs" on the new screen. Everything looks great. Thus far I'm pleased with my new TV and the 2 year warranty that comes with it. I still have a little testing to do to see that all inputs work and the picture is consistent all around but so far so good. Interestingly enough, the calibration settings used on the last TV don't look so hot on this new TV-the picture seems darker. I'll have to check out the calibration settings xls and see if one of those suit me better.

Outside of having to go through this at all, I'm pleased with the outcome and my experience with Sony support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by redvilln 

Sony support phone number 239-245-6245.

You will have to navigate to the TV department, fairly quick transfer to a rep each time I called.  Once you speak to the rep they will advise you to send pictures of the blobs/streaks.  Take a good amount of pictures which clearly show the defect.  Sony rep will relay to you the email to send the pics and give you a case number.
Once the aforementioned step is complete they take about 1-2 days and will call you back with their offer saying they will replace it.  Majority of members here with the dreadful blobs got that offer since Sony cannot repair the issue.  They will most likely offer you KDLW830B or 850B, both are the same model, 830 has a chrome finish stand.
If they try to low ball you or give you the run around ie try to offer a 65 inch or non 3D tell them heck no and that you want to speak to a lead/manager etc.  I would not tell any rep, "well other owners got the W850B model etc etc"  because they may give you a hard time.
Once the exchange is in place they will follow up with you and give a tracking number/delivery timeframe.

Just a follow up to my first post above. It's the return of the blob! This time it's just as big if not bigger than the one on my initial TV. I made a phone call per redvilln above on Friday. Apparently I've been escalated to someone in customer relations to ensure this doesn't happen again. They transferred me to customer relations but I hung up after waiting for 45 minutes (high call volume, I can't imagine why :-/). I immediately called the number above once again and they said they would have someone call me back the next business day. Here we are, Wednesday, and I've yet to receive a phone call. Now I REALLY want my 550A replaced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4204 Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyan View Post
***working with Sony for ANOTHER replacement, #4 ***
Just a follow up to my first post above. It's the return of the blob! This time it's just as big if not bigger than the one on my initial TV. I made a phone call per redvilln above on Friday. Apparently I've been escalated to someone in customer relations to ensure this doesn't happen again. They transferred me to customer relations but I hung up after waiting for 45 minutes (high call volume, I can't imagine why :-/). I immediately called the number above once again and they said they would have someone call me back the next business day. Here we are, Wednesday, and I've yet to receive a phone call. Now I REALLY want my 550A replaced!
Yeah, get rid of the 550A with prejudice. Sony swapped out mine for the 830B and honestly, I could not be happier. This is the best looking TV I've ever owned. Just be patient with Sony customer service and good luck.

Epson 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70W830B LED TV
Xbox One & PS4
Gamertag: JonnyRingo619
post #4203 of 4204 Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Yeah, get rid of the 550A with prejudice. Sony swapped out mine for the 830B and honestly, I could not be happier. This is the best looking TV I've ever owned. Just be patient with Sony customer service and good luck.
I suggest you don't do this (liability reasons), but I wonder if the blob will go away if you place a suction cup on it and pull the facing screen away gently. (Before you return it). Hopefully, it'll leave no mark though.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #4204 of 4204 Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I had my 70r550a replaced with a 70w850b earlier this year. The two biggest differences between the two is Passive 3d for the 550 and Active for the 850b. In my mind that is advantage 550a. The second difference is that the 850b uses Sony's X-Reality Prp Engine. Here we have a slightly bigger advantage to the 850b. I do not know which panel is being used for these two sets, IPS, S-PVA but I'm pretty sure they come from different manufactures. The 850b has shown to be prone to radial banding issues which may have been remidied by a software update, but mine had the banding issue(really bad) and was replaced again. This time with a 65w850a via my choice. This set also uses the X-Reality Pro Engine plus the TRILUMINUCE color filter as well as Samsungs S-PVA panel. The 65w850a ( also Active 3d)is prone to clouding and flash lighting, similar to what I experienced with my 70r550a. However the 65w850a had a beautiful crystal clear picture, probably due to the S-PVA panel. I just yesterday received another 70w850b to replace the 65w850a. No banding so far and I decided that to me the extra 5 inches is more important than the better PQ of the 65in. If you can live with 65 inches I recommend the 65w850a for it's steller picture but some clouding. I also found that the best picture settings for the 65a work great for the 70b. Fwi, Sony also offered the new 65w950 series.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page