Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 141 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4201 of 4225 Old 07-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
***working with Sony for ANOTHER replacement, #4 ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyan View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by JohnRyan 

***working with Sony for a replacement***

I purchased my 60R550a (serial number 6xxxxx) back in June ‘13 and immediately noticed a "blob" measuring roughly 17" by 8" located in the middle of my screen. Tends to be more noticeable on white and light colored backgrounds. Knowing the TV came with a one-year warranty, I didn't experience a sense of urgency to call and get this resolved. Perhaps the hesitation came from the anticipation of having to call and deal with customer service and not knowing how well they would take care of me. I called Sony customer service and described the issue as a slight discoloration permanently fixed in a certain area of the screen.

After stepping through some meaningful troubleshooting (i.e., removing the plug from a surge protector and plugging it directly into the wall…because THAT’S what would cause something like this :-^) they offered to send me a recertified TV “comparable to the same model” and a two year warranty. I accepted.

Within a week, the replacement came via CEVA and ‘white glove’ service. They installed the replacement TV, packed up the old TV, then waited for me to inspect the replacement TV. Unfortunately, the replacement TV had the same issue…but five times over! It looked like there was a turkey on my TV. There were five “blobs” the same size as my original “blob” but in turkey tail formation. I could not accept that. They unpacked my original TV and repacked the replacement and I signed the “refusal of delivery” notice.

Sony called not more than an hour later to confirm the situation. They are sending another replacement TV within the next week. We’ll try this again. I’m not sure how many times we’ll need to go through this before they try a different strategy but I’m willing to repeat the process until I receive an acceptable replacement.

That’s the story and current status of my TV containing a ‘blob’.

UPDATE: Sony sent a replacement 60R550a (serial number 6xxxxx) earlier this week. I don't see "blobs" on the new screen. Everything looks great. Thus far I'm pleased with my new TV and the 2 year warranty that comes with it. I still have a little testing to do to see that all inputs work and the picture is consistent all around but so far so good. Interestingly enough, the calibration settings used on the last TV don't look so hot on this new TV-the picture seems darker. I'll have to check out the calibration settings xls and see if one of those suit me better.

Outside of having to go through this at all, I'm pleased with the outcome and my experience with Sony support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by redvilln 

Sony support phone number 239-245-6245.

You will have to navigate to the TV department, fairly quick transfer to a rep each time I called.  Once you speak to the rep they will advise you to send pictures of the blobs/streaks.  Take a good amount of pictures which clearly show the defect.  Sony rep will relay to you the email to send the pics and give you a case number.
Once the aforementioned step is complete they take about 1-2 days and will call you back with their offer saying they will replace it.  Majority of members here with the dreadful blobs got that offer since Sony cannot repair the issue.  They will most likely offer you KDLW830B or 850B, both are the same model, 830 has a chrome finish stand.
If they try to low ball you or give you the run around ie try to offer a 65 inch or non 3D tell them heck no and that you want to speak to a lead/manager etc.  I would not tell any rep, "well other owners got the W850B model etc etc"  because they may give you a hard time.
Once the exchange is in place they will follow up with you and give a tracking number/delivery timeframe.

Just a follow up to my first post above. It's the return of the blob! This time it's just as big if not bigger than the one on my initial TV. I made a phone call per redvilln above on Friday. Apparently I've been escalated to someone in customer relations to ensure this doesn't happen again. They transferred me to customer relations but I hung up after waiting for 45 minutes (high call volume, I can't imagine why :-/). I immediately called the number above once again and they said they would have someone call me back the next business day. Here we are, Wednesday, and I've yet to receive a phone call. Now I REALLY want my 550A replaced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4225 Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyan View Post
***working with Sony for ANOTHER replacement, #4 ***
Just a follow up to my first post above. It's the return of the blob! This time it's just as big if not bigger than the one on my initial TV. I made a phone call per redvilln above on Friday. Apparently I've been escalated to someone in customer relations to ensure this doesn't happen again. They transferred me to customer relations but I hung up after waiting for 45 minutes (high call volume, I can't imagine why :-/). I immediately called the number above once again and they said they would have someone call me back the next business day. Here we are, Wednesday, and I've yet to receive a phone call. Now I REALLY want my 550A replaced!
Yeah, get rid of the 550A with prejudice. Sony swapped out mine for the 830B and honestly, I could not be happier. This is the best looking TV I've ever owned. Just be patient with Sony customer service and good luck.

Epson 2000 Projector & 120" screen
Sony 70W830B LED TV
Xbox One & PS4
Gamertag: JonnyRingo619
post #4203 of 4225 Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Yeah, get rid of the 550A with prejudice. Sony swapped out mine for the 830B and honestly, I could not be happier. This is the best looking TV I've ever owned. Just be patient with Sony customer service and good luck.
I suggest you don't do this (liability reasons), but I wonder if the blob will go away if you place a suction cup on it and pull the facing screen away gently. (Before you return it). Hopefully, it'll leave no mark though.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #4204 of 4225 Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I had my 70r550a replaced with a 70w850b earlier this year. The two biggest differences between the two is Passive 3d for the 550 and Active for the 850b. In my mind that is advantage 550a. The second difference is that the 850b uses Sony's X-Reality Prp Engine. Here we have a slightly bigger advantage to the 850b. I do not know which panel is being used for these two sets, IPS, S-PVA but I'm pretty sure they come from different manufactures. The 850b has shown to be prone to radial banding issues which may have been remidied by a software update, but mine had the banding issue(really bad) and was replaced again. This time with a 65w850a via my choice. This set also uses the X-Reality Pro Engine plus the TRILUMINUCE color filter as well as Samsungs S-PVA panel. The 65w850a ( also Active 3d)is prone to clouding and flash lighting, similar to what I experienced with my 70r550a. However the 65w850a had a beautiful crystal clear picture, probably due to the S-PVA panel. I just yesterday received another 70w850b to replace the 65w850a. No banding so far and I decided that to me the extra 5 inches is more important than the better PQ of the 65in. If you can live with 65 inches I recommend the 65w850a for it's steller picture but some clouding. I also found that the best picture settings for the 65a work great for the 70b. Fwi, Sony also offered the new 65w950 series.
post #4205 of 4225 Old 07-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My set went from two lines to no picture at all today. Audio is still working. And I have gotten no replies from Sony. Is there some special customer service email or phone # I should be using? I have never had this problem with any Sony product in over 20 years of buying Sony. And with a 10 mo old set to have to accept a refurb that broke for someone else and was fixed is just ridiculous!
post #4206 of 4225 Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

239-245-6245. Tell them you want a 70w850b. Beware, it's active 3d.
post #4207 of 4225 Old 07-23-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
239-245-6245. Tell them you want a 70w850b. Beware, it's active 3d.
Andy, how's the crosstalk on the 850B?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #4208 of 4225 Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Andy, how's the crosstalk on the 850B?
It's not too bad. The biggest difference between the 70r550a and the 70w850b other than the obvious 3d difference is the r550 is a bit more prone to clouding/flash lighting and the w850 is a bit more prone to banding. Radial banding in my case. The w850 has a slightly sharper picture because of the X- Reality-Pro engine but the r550 has a little better panel for sharpness. The w850 is more matted also. I've had two w850's now with unacceptable radial banding but many have no problems. It's the only 1080p 70" Sony makes now so it's either the 70w850b or drop down to a 65". Lots of interesting choices there.
post #4209 of 4225 Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not too bad. The biggest difference between the 70r550a and the 70w850b other than the obvious 3d difference is the r550 is a bit more prone to clouding/flash lighting and the w850 is a bit more prone to banding. Radial banding in my case. The w850 has a slightly sharper picture because of the X- Reality-Pro engine but the r550 has a little better panel for sharpness. The w850 is more matted also. I've had two w850's now with unacceptable radial banding but many have no problems. It's the only 1080p 70" Sony makes now so it's either the 70w850b or drop down to a 65". Lots of interesting choices there.
By "radial banding": is this evident on a solid (uniform) gray?

post #4210 of 4225 Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It's evident on any solid color from the red of the Netflix page to the white of a hockey rink to the green on a golf course or football field. The blue sky or the grey green ocean to the white clouds in the sky. If I have to choose between clouding or banding I'll take the clouding every time. This radial banding drives you crazy. Unlike clouding the banding is always there and once you see it you can't help but look for it. Reminds be of rainbows with DLP's. Now that ages me. If my choices are the same this time as last time it will be another 70w850b or a 65w950b or a 65s990a. I doubt they have any more 65w850a's left. At this point I'll only accept a refund if the force me to. Then you have to wait up to 6 weeks and lose your sales tax and delivery charge. Besides, I doubt if any body makes anything better in the 1080p area.
post #4211 of 4225 Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's evident on any solid color from the red of the Netflix page to the white of a hockey rink to the green on a golf course or football field. The blue sky or the grey green ocean to the white clouds in the sky. If I have to choose between clouding or banding I'll take the clouding every time. This radial banding drives you crazy. Unlike clouding the banding is always there and once you see it you can't help but look for it. Reminds be of rainbows with DLP's. Now that ages me. If my choices are the same this time as last time it will be another 70w850b or a 65w950b or a 65s990a. I doubt they have any more 65w850a's left. At this point I'll only accept a refund if the force me to. Then you have to wait up to 6 weeks and lose your sales tax and delivery charge. Besides, I doubt if any body makes anything better in the 1080p area.
Sounds like a form of beat frequency, like DSE, only in a circular orientation. Yikes. I wanted to make sure what you meant because a lot of folks are using "banding" to refer to contouring....a dramatically different beast.

post #4212 of 4225 Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Beat frequency is a new term for me. I don't recall ever hearing it mentioned here before. Can you elaborate as to it's possible causes? Is it a LED/LCD thing? In my case it didn't mareiialize till the second day. I'm not sure about my first one. I love the cool things I learn on this forum.
post #4213 of 4225 Old 07-24-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Beat frequency is a new term for me. I don't recall ever hearing it mentioned here before. Can you elaborate as to it's possible causes? Is it a LED/LCD thing? In my case it didn't mareiialize till the second day. I'm not sure about my first one. I love the cool things I learn on this forum.
In the case of "beat frequency", you're probably best not learning it right away because I'm stretching the meaning of the term a bit. The closest analogy to it in imaging is likely "aliasing", but the way I'm using it is essentially as the constructive/destructive interference from adding two patterns. Strictly speaking, "beat frequency" is usually applied to sound, but its meaning is sometimes used for any waveforms, or pattern on pattern interference.

I could only guess (and probably badly) at what is causing that problem on the 850. And one of those guesses is that it's similar to DSE, but having never actually seen it, it'll have to remain a bad guess.

post #4214 of 4225 Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

tgm, I don't know if looking at a picture will tell you anything but if you want to see the radial banding go to the thread labled xxx850b and look at post #69 . Actually I would love to get your opinion. FWIW the panel is a ND4Y700LNX0101. I think it's somebodies VA panel but it acts more like a IPS panel.
post #4215 of 4225 Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I just posted in the xx850b thread so it should be very close to the top of the posts.
post #4216 of 4225 Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just posted in the xx850b thread so it should be very close to the top of the posts.
Ah, ok, you meant here. You had previously said "xxx850b", and the 3 x's confused me---I wasn't sure if that was "xxX850b" or "xxW850b" and I was looking in the wrong threads. (I'm cleaning out my old replies now).

That's pretty much how I envisioned it. I'm betting it's a DSE variant, circularly oriented for some reason. Perhaps the LCD grid isn't as dimensionally stable over all manufacturing temperatures? Sony is really making me wonder these days.

post #4217 of 4225 Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for your input. I've seen plenty of examples of banding over the years but never like this. I could be wrong but I think that at some point I may have coined the phrase "radial banding" for lack of another way to describe it. The question has been asked if this problem may dissapate over time. Is that probable?
post #4218 of 4225 Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your input. I've seen plenty of examples of banding over the years but never like this. I could be wrong but I think that at some point I may have coined the phrase "radial banding" for lack of another way to describe it. The question has been asked if this problem may dissapate over time. Is that probable?
Again, a guess, but my guess is no. It's there to stay. Immediate return. But do these things show up out of the blue, or are they out of the box that way?

post #4219 of 4225 Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Shows up very quickly. This set was heavily scrutinized upon set up. It was perfect all day long on the first day (about 8 hours run time). Next morning it was there at start up. My only concern is that this is my only Sony option at 70 inches and it's hard to go down to 65 inches now.
post #4220 of 4225 Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Shows up very quickly. This set was heavily scrutinized upon set up. It was perfect all day long on the first day (about 8 hours run time). Next morning it was there at start up. My only concern is that this is my only Sony option at 70 inches and it's hard to go down to 65 inches now.
Not if the 70" looks like that!

I'm not sure if it's for great reasons yet, but I'm fairly convinced that the industry hasn't quite gotten the kinks out of the odd sizes (60, 70, etc.). I somehow expect that 65"ers would have had a far more stable track record.

But I understand your pain in this. Unless the thing is over 100" to start with, losing 5" off a screen is hard to deal with.

post #4221 of 4225 Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just a quick update...

Still enjoying my 70". Don't even notice any of those things that once bothered me (flashlighting, grey spots on a black screen, lavender lips). However, am noticing the screen seems to be shrinking. Wow, that happened faster than I expected.

Oh and I also just re-tried the tv's smart features (Netflix and ADC apps) that I haven't in some time and am still not impressed. Too much skipping/buffering. So back to the awesome PS3. Both are Ethernet wired, btw.
post #4222 of 4225 Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just realized the other day that we've had our 60" R550a now for over a year. We got it around Fathers' Day last year. It's worked relatively flawlessly in all this time. Occasionally a network drop stops a streaming program, but that's why I don't put a lot of faith in streaming stuff. Too unpredictable.

But as a display device for TV, Blu-rays, DVDs and whatever else we throw at it, it can't be beat. Just a joy to own and watch every day.

Harry
tgm1024 likes this.
post #4223 of 4225 Old 07-26-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
I just realized the other day that we've had our 60" R550a now for over a year. We got it around Fathers' Day last year. It's worked relatively flawlessly in all this time. Occasionally a network drop stops a streaming program, but that's why I don't put a lot of faith in streaming stuff. Too unpredictable.

But as a display device for TV, Blu-rays, DVDs and whatever else we throw at it, it can't be beat. Just a joy to own and watch every day.

Harry
Thanks for the input Harry! It always help to balance out the natural tendency forums have to tip negative.

post #4224 of 4225 Old 07-26-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

By the way, this prompts my cyclical warning:

For those that signed up for
the free year of Hulu,
don't forget to cancel it!
You will be automatically charged.

It's a terrible service anyway.

post #4225 of 4225 Old 07-26-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have owned my 70R550A for around a year now and could not be more pleased. Absolutely ZERO issues and both my wife and I are still wowed by the PQ. (It made the PQ even better when watching digital cable ran through my BDP103D with Darbee set at appx 35%....)
3D content can be viewed for hours at a time with the passive glasses (I have 12 sets) without making me sick to my stomach like the Active Glasses on previous TV experiences.
Until 4K media becomes mainstream I am more than pleased to keep this TV!
I know some have issues and that can be frustrating but wanted to chime in on my absolutely positive experience. I bought relatively early and paid 2699.00 and feel it was money well spent. With a house full of Samsung TV's (LCD and LED LCD), I appreciate the Sony's PQ
more and more every time I watch it....
Thanks for letting me share my experience...
Blessings,
Brian
tgm1024 likes this.

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page