Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 143 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4261 of 4276 Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I may have misrepresented what I received from Sony. Upon receipt of the recertified TV, the warranty would be extended to two years from the date I purchased the original TV. I purchased my original back in August 2013. My first replacement was received in February 2014 with the warranty good until July/August 2015.

You may not necessarily find a written statement stating two year warranties for recerts. However, this is apparently a policy they have in place for replacement TVs.

Yes, perhaps I should have pushed for the 850B but I wasn't sure whether I'd get a recert or brand new. I reckon the 850B would have been a recert. At this point, I'd rather have a brand new than a recert.

We'll see how it goes once I receive the 630.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4276 Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
here in mexico not only did they want to change out the panel on my bad 550 that i only had for seven months with a refurnished screen they would not offer me the opportunity to buy the extended warranty nor were they giving me an extension on my warranty

i agree that you should not take the recertification tv unless they give you some five years warranty or something.

that recert couldve been someones bad set that was facing the ocean salt air everyday or a store demo running 12 hours a day everyday for the last nine months
post #4263 of 4276 Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 753
In such cases as a refurb being supplied, is the original warranty null and void? It must be so if the warranty is from a 3rd party, no?

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #4264 of 4276 Old 08-27-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Try calling? I'm sorry to hear of your trouble and that so many people are having trouble with Sony. Sony used to be the brand that I always knew you'd pay a little more for but could do so knowing that the extra money meant less worry. Apparently, they're more of a bargain basement TV brand now.

I was browsing through this thread tgm1024 and I saw your post and I hate to admit it but when it comes to TV's you have a point. I believe Sony's last excellent tv was the KDL55W900A which I own. I cant say anything about their 4K TV's because I have no experience with them but as far as their regular 1080p TV's they aint very good especially this years models. The design of their 2014 models is atrocious in my opinion and they have started to use LG panels which are known for poor black levels and Contrast. Oh the viewing angles are supposedly better but you lose good black levels and contrast not to mention people complaining of clouding and flashlighting. I was told Sony is putting all their eggs in one basket with 4K which is why their 1080p models may be suffering quality wise. Its sad to see Sony in such a sad state when it comes to TV's. They sold off their Viao Laptop manufacturing business and I'm afraid if they keep this up their tv divison will soon follow.
post #4265 of 4276 Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So is there a TV Mfr that makes or exceeds the grade?

I have been around the forums for a while and I have seen these types of comments from all TV Manufacturers. And while someone may reply with "I have never had any issues with Brand X", the reality is there is currently no "premium" brand that rises above all the others. The Japanese TV makers used to be the top tier (still are to some), then came the Koreans (LG, Samsung), and now the Chinese are putting more downward pressure on pricing/costs. It's a race to the bottom and service is the first to take a quality hit followed by technical and manufacturing issues. Welcome to 2014 in the TV Industry.

So who will come after the Chinese?

Last edited by Cucuy; 08-27-2014 at 01:12 PM.
post #4266 of 4276 Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Unfortunately, after plasma the technology has taken a nose dive. One would think that with the digital/LED revolution, our viewing pleasure would become stimulated.... not so with the current compressed, pixelated, banded, flashlighted, garbage that is being pumped out out the TV market. SAD, SAD, SAD, and quite unacceptable. Will 4k be any different???????
post #4267 of 4276 Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Unfortunately, after plasma the technology has taken a nose dive. One would think that with the digital/LED revolution, our viewing pleasure would become stimulated.... not so with the current compressed, pixelated, banded, flashlighted, garbage that is being pumped out out the TV market. SAD, SAD, SAD, and quite unacceptable. Will 4k be any different???????
I see my current R550A as an "interim" set that gives me the screen size I want now, while I wait for 70"+ 4k OLED sets to come to market and the prices to drop. Up until a few months ago, that dream seemed a great many years away. But all the recent news with LG's OLED rollout and pricing strategy has given me a little more hope for the future. It won't happen next year, and unlikely the year after that (of course, you never know), but I think it's quite possible that by 2017, we could be seeing prices for products similar to LG's 77" OLED in the ~$4k range.

Even with edge-lit sets, only the absolutely worse batch of the crappiest models will be as bad as the one you described above i.e. where every single image artifact is visible (some of those elements aren't even related to the display, but the source). As for my specific TV, my biggest complaints would be the motion handling (given certain video content), screen uniformity, and black levels. They aren't atrocious, but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4268 of 4276 Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM

Quite true on your comments, especially about the source material. I'm really seeing how bad my Dish signal is with the Vizio M652i I purchased!!
post #4269 of 4276 Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Quite true on your comments, especially about the source material. I'm really seeing how bad my Dish signal is with the Vizio M652i I purchased!!
Yea? Try watching a Comcast HD signal. They are no better. Garbage in and garbage out. Some channels are good and some are bad.
post #4270 of 4276 Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Dish is terrible on some channels no lie I'm a dish victim also other re transmission services are about the same it's all HD lite!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #4271 of 4276 Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Dish is terrible on some channels no lie I'm a dish victim also other re transmission services are about the same it's all HD lite!
Is there a provider who delivers a quality HD signal? My off air signal looks great, but I think the networks are compressing these signals also. Just think of what images 4k TV buyers are going to get through their panels!
post #4272 of 4276 Old 09-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyan View Post
I purchased a Sony RPTV 50WE655 back in 2004 and LOVED it right up until I sold it and decided to purchase a new TV in 2013. That WE655 was beautiful and I recommended that same TV to three of my friends who all went out and purchased the same model in various sizes. It really treated me very well.

I had my hesitations when I was looking at Sony for a variety of reasons and yet I jumped. Bad move. And now here I am. This sucks!!

So what do we do now? What's our next step?
Quote:
***working with Sony for ANOTHER replacement, #4 ***
Just a follow up to my first post above. It's the return of the blob! This time it's just as big if not bigger than the one on my initial TV. I made a phone call per redvilln above on Friday. Apparently I've been escalated to someone in customer relations to ensure this doesn't happen again. They transferred me to customer relations but I hung up after waiting for 45 minutes (high call volume, I can't imagine why :-/). I immediately called the number above once again and they said they would have someone call me back the next business day. Here we are, Wednesday, and I've yet to receive a phone call. Now I REALLY want my 550A replaced!
Quote:
It's been 18 days since I called and they told me someone from Customer Relations would call me back. I have not received one phone call. I just called the 239 number again and they told me they were no longer transferring issues to escalation. He claims there is no phone number to call. I'd have to correspond with them via e-mail. He said I should get a response with in one week. WTH?! So here I go, I'll shoot them an email and we'll see what happens. What a SONY CLUSTER!
Quote:
A Sony representative (first introducing himself as “Joe” and then towards the end as “Henry”) FINALLY called last Thursday (8/21) asking me what my expectations were of them. It’s simple, I just want a replacement without issues. They offered me “an upgraded TV”, the W630B.

From what I can tell, there’s nothing upgraded about this model. In fact, my 550A had 3D. This model does not. However, in the year we’ve had this TV we’ve never watched a single 3D movie. However, the very small number of things I’ve been able to read have been positive about the picture quality. Some said it’s just as good as that of the W850. We shall see.

I asked if they would be able to extend the one year warranty to a two year warranty and received a NO. Two year warranties are included with recertified TV. If I wanted a two year warranty, he was willing to look at my other recertified TV options. He’d need to call me back. Given that it’s taken them nearly a month to contact me, I wasn’t about to wait any longer. I agreed to the W630B.

I’m hoping I made the right decision. If the screen is as good as the W850 then I think I can be happy with that.

The new TV should be delivered within the next week or so. Stay tuned.
My new 60W630B was delivered last week. Outside of the moron CEVA representative installing the TV insisting we would need an adapter for our HDMI cable because “there is only one HDMI and two USBs and they’re on the side of the TV”. WHAT? I wasn’t home at the time so I couldn’t point out the three HDMI on the BACK OF THE TV!

The W630B appears to be much better than the last three R550s I’ve had in the last year. I’ve seen no occurrence of the “blob” and really hoping it stays that way. The picture is clear and vibrant. Maneuvering through the new Sony menu will take some getting used to. I haven’t been able to find too many calibration settings, still adjusting the picture. So far, so good. Here’s hoping this model is issue free for me.
post #4273 of 4276 Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ {fingers crossed}

Sorry for the loss of 3D though, but hope this TV works out well for you. Let us know either way!

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #4274 of 4276 Old 09-09-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Is there a provider who delivers a quality HD signal? My off air signal looks great, but I think the networks are compressing these signals also. Just think of what images 4k TV buyers are going to get through their panels!
No they are all mpeg 2 or mpeg 4 compressed HD lite re transmissions they are all almost equally bad some are a little better than other but not remarkably so in my experience although I've read ATT U Verse TV isn't that good. I belive 4K viewers will be getting HEVEC 4K HD lite on Cable /SAT in the same bandwidth we are getting 1080p mpeg4.now.
ofc on Netflix I believe it will require a 25 mbps throughput instead of of ~ 6-8 mbps for 1080p.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 09-13-2014 at 03:49 PM.
post #4275 of 4276 Old 09-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Red face check ALL your equipment

Okay, here's something just a tad bit off topic but VERY embarrassing that, Oh, I just gotta share with a bunch of complete strangers on the interweb....

I remember the first time I saw BIG HD. Years ago....it was an NFL game in a bar here in Vegas. I knew I had to have it so I went out and bought a 50inch 720p plasma. Shortly thereafter I wanted bigger and so I purchased and installed a 720p projector system. Then of course a little while longer I wanted even bigger and sharper so I went and purchased and installed a 1080p 12 foot projector system. Now about a year ago I realized that the projector just isn't doing it anymore (too big a picture for 1080p) and I decided to get this Sony 70 incher. It looked awesome, but started losing it's "sharpness" quickly. So, I added a Darbee Video Processor to it and the 12 foot projector image. Sure as heck, that didn't last long and the images seemed to get not so sharp rather quickly. And then, finally, I went Monday to get my eyes checked and discovered I needed glasses for long distance viewing. Not kidding. Like I said, embarrassing. And when the eye doc said I only needed a small script (0.75) I thought that won't make much of a difference. Boy was I wrong. EVERYTHING looks high def now.

And my tv's look awesome once again. Wait until I have to post an apology on the Darbee website for claiming that that unit needs to be set really high to get a sharp picture. lol

As for all my previous post about any issues with this Sony, those have nothing to do with my eye issue. Without glasses, I just wasn't getting the sharp lines and thus the feeling of depth. And obviously this degeneration in my eyesight had been developing at the same time as was my electronics supply. No wonder the wow factor was wearing off so fast.
post #4276 of 4276 Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
Okay, here's something just a tad bit off topic but VERY embarrassing that, Oh, I just gotta share with a bunch of complete strangers on the interweb....

I remember the first time I saw BIG HD. Years ago....it was an NFL game in a bar here in Vegas. I knew I had to have it so I went out and bought a 50inch 720p plasma. Shortly thereafter I wanted bigger and so I purchased and installed a 720p projector system. Then of course a little while longer I wanted even bigger and sharper so I went and purchased and installed a 1080p 12 foot projector system. Now about a year ago I realized that the projector just isn't doing it anymore (too big a picture for 1080p) and I decided to get this Sony 70 incher. It looked awesome, but started losing it's "sharpness" quickly. So, I added a Darbee Video Processor to it and the 12 foot projector image. Sure as heck, that didn't last long and the images seemed to get not so sharp rather quickly. And then, finally, I went Monday to get my eyes checked and discovered I needed glasses for long distance viewing. Not kidding. Like I said, embarrassing. And when the eye doc said I only needed a small script (0.75) I thought that won't make much of a difference. Boy was I wrong. EVERYTHING looks high def now.

And my tv's look awesome once again. Wait until I have to post an apology on the Darbee website for claiming that that unit needs to be set really high to get a sharp picture. lol

As for all my previous post about any issues with this Sony, those have nothing to do with my eye issue. Without glasses, I just wasn't getting the sharp lines and thus the feeling of depth. And obviously this degeneration in my eyesight had been developing at the same time as was my electronics supply. No wonder the wow factor was wearing off so fast.
^^^^ Brave, brave dude. Good for you!

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page