Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 144 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4291 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
^^^Well from that my first inclination is to point you toward one of the W850B's, but I've never seen them in person.
The sony right? I read one review that said the 3D was bad. I intend to bring a player and check it out. But I lean toward the 70LB7100 because it's 70 and passive or the UN65H7150 because it's samsung and the PQ should be good. is the 850b passive 3D? Looks like I'm down to those 3 TVs. This is helping, thank you.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4292 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
The sony right? I read one review that said the 3D was bad. I intend to bring a player and check it out. But I lean toward the 70LB7100 because it's 70 and passive or the UN65H7150 because it's samsung and the PQ should be good. is the 850b passive 3D? Looks like I'm down to those 3 TVs. This is helping, thank you.

For Sony's (don't know why I still trust them----perhaps because they're "the devil I know"):

The 65w950b is a high-ish end FPR. But it's $2300 or so.

The 70w850b is more midlevel, I'm guessing PQ like the R550A, and it's $2100. But it's active, not FPR. (dammit)

Samsung doesn't mean good PQ. And I remember their panel lottery being among the worst, at least in 2010 when I test drove a completely unacceptable C6300.

I would definitely check out the LG's.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption, but this sets up no causal relationship. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #4293 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 133
yeah this is a problem. None of them are perfect. The LG has the advantage of being 70 passive and not a huge investment. But if PQ and black levels are worse than what I had then it's like I'm spending money to downgrade. I'm not getting the Sony because it's active. If it was passive that would be fine. But if I am forced to use active then I chose a samsung.

I don't agree with you. I think I'm going to get better picture quality with the samsung than I am the LG. I can switch to LG and get the same screen size and same type of 3D I am used to. sucks to have this happen now and there is no TV that screams, yep that's the one.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)

Last edited by Teremei; Yesterday at 01:59 PM.
Teremei is offline  
post #4294 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
The 70w850b is more midlevel, I'm guessing PQ like the R550A, and it's $2100. But it's active, not FPR. (dammit).
This is the one that gets me. If it was passive, it would just be a newer version of the one I lost. But it's not, and I'm stuck looking at other options. This TV is mainly for movies, and especially 3D movies. So I'm probably looking at the LG or even considering that 80" vizio from last year.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #4295 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
brahby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what models Sony started using IPS panels? I do not believe our R550a has them but I swore that the w802a from the same year did.
brahby is offline  
post #4296 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post
Does anyone know what models Sony started using IPS panels? I do not believe our R550a has them but I swore that the w802a from the same year did.
All of the w850b's use the IPS panel and are Active 3d. It's not horrible but the glasses are not very comfy. The w850b's do come with 4 pair of glasses. The x850b's (4k) except for the 70" are Passive. And also except for the 70" use the IPS panel. All of the w850b's use the X-Reality Pro Engine. The w950b's also use the X-Reality Pro Engine as well as the TRILUMANUCE color filter and the 950's are Passive, and use the IPS panel. If you can live with 65" the 65w950b is the best of the 2k sets. They all have adjustable feet. All of these 2k sets incorporate the wedge shape also. If you can find a 2013 65w850a, even a refurb, jump all over it. It uses the Samsung S-PVA Panel as well as the X-reality Pro Engine and the TRILUMANUCE color filter.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #4297 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
All of the w850b's use the IPS panel and are Active 3d. It's not horrible but the glasses are not very comfy. The w850b's do come with 4 pair of glasses. The x850b's (4k) except for the 70" are Passive. And also except for the 70" use the IPS panel. All of the w850b's use the X-Reality Pro Engine. The w950b's also use the X-Reality Pro Engine as well as the TRILUMANUCE color filter and the 950's are Passive, and use the IPS panel. If you can live with 65" the 65w950b is the best of the 2k sets. They all have adjustable feet. All of these 2k sets incorporate the wedge shape also. If you can find a 2013 65w850a, even a refurb, jump all over it. It uses the Samsung S-PVA Panel as well as the X-reality Pro Engine and the TRILUMANUCE color filter.
Andy, where online did you find the panel type? Passive no longer indicates an IPS panel.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption, but this sets up no causal relationship. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #4298 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Andy, where online did you find the panel type? Passive no longer indicates an IPS panel.
I've developed a relationship with a Sony customer service manager and I asked about the different panels being used. He told me the panel for the 70x850b is Active VA and the 49". 55", and 65" are IPS and Passive, as is the w950b series. I hooked up a 65w950b Saturday and it is Passive for sure. Unfortunately, because I'm nosy, he couldn't find out who manufactured my VA panel in the 70x850b but it's Active. I haven't personally ran across a IPS panel that is Active 3d but there's plenty of stuff out there that I haven't seen. FYIW, that 65w950b I installed had a stunning picture and very nice 3d. Better 3d than my Active X model. IMO, if Sony would have taken the r550a display, added the X-Reality Pro Engine and added the TRILUMANUCE color filter they would have ruled the 60"70" market for years. If if if.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #4299 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 133
yep, I just wish they did then this TV going out for me would have been a blessing. now I'm just scrambling to get a TV this is maybe close to my old one.

The LG 70LB7100 is probably the closest I will get. My BB has 1 display model left perhaps I can talk them down from the 2400.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #4300 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
brahby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Andy thanks for all that info. Do you happen to know the panels in the r550a and the w802 from last year?
brahby is offline  
post #4301 of 4303 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post
Andy thanks for all that info. Do you happen to know the panels in the r550a and the w802 from last year?
Not for sure but I think the r550a is a VA panel. If the w802 is Passive it's probably a VA panel also.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #4302 of 4303 Old Today, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I've developed a relationship with a Sony customer service manager and I asked about the different panels being used. He told me the panel for the 70x850b is Active VA and the 49". 55", and 65" are IPS and Passive, as is the w950b series. I hooked up a 65w950b Saturday and it is Passive for sure. Unfortunately, because I'm nosy, he couldn't find out who manufactured my VA panel in the 70x850b but it's Active. I haven't personally ran across a IPS panel that is Active 3d but there's plenty of stuff out there that I haven't seen. FYIW, that 65w950b I installed had a stunning picture and very nice 3d. Better 3d than my Active X model. IMO, if Sony would have taken the r550a display, added the X-Reality Pro Engine and added the TRILUMANUCE color filter they would have ruled the 60"70" market for years. If if if.
X-Reality Pro is very cool. IMO (I'm not in the majority), Triluminos isn't that big of a deal, though it's not just a filter: the filter is ancillary to the more imiportant changing of the light source from a broader dichromatic white to a trichromatic LED or QD white.

Regarding IPS, I think you might be counting on a Sony service rep to be right, and I've found mistakes filter down from reps before. In fact it was a Sony service rep that told my BB guy that all passive 3D screens from Sony were IPS and made by LG. That turned out to be false.

Reps are just as prone to hearing misinformation and floating them around as fact as any of us are it seems. Don't get me started on the BS from LG reps. Oye.

And again, keep in mind that because it's not actually part of the Sony specification, the underlying panel for any model is free to change even for the same model at any time. AFAICT, the only ones that were diligent in putting IPS in their TV model specifications were Panasonic and LG.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption, but this sets up no causal relationship. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
tgm1024 is online now  
post #4303 of 4303 Old Today, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
HGN2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just a note regarding Hulu and Netflix. Last year, we bought the 60r550a TV around Fathers Day, but I didn't get around to doing the free year of Netflix and Hulu Plus until around October 1st. Thanks to TGM's warning months ago, I marked my calendar for October and successfully cancelled out of both services.

Hulu Plus is just awful with its commercials and the way it wouldn't remember where we were if the service winked out. Netflix was a bit better, but doesn't have enough stuff I wanted to see to justify paying for it. If it had the full array of movies that they do on their DVD service, then maybe, but it's not a good fit. If I like a movie, I'd just as soon get a DVD or Blu-ray and watch it at my convenience, whenever I want. With Netflix, you never know if and when a movie might disappear.

But still, I appreciate the full year of service that Sony provided with the TV. The set is still great with a picture that dazzles everyone who sees it.

Harry
HGN2001 is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off