Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 4346 Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post
SW up to date - so far the lips & hands look natural. Need more content to be sure.
TTYL

Verify it against various broadcast network shows (PBS Nova always has it pretty bad for some reason), and some other non-pay networks like USA, etc.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4346 Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Big Bang & Sheldon's hands & lips were always wrong.

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
post #4323 of 4346 Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 AM

Cool final Spears & Munsil settings/results

After 2nd go of basic settings & advanced video calibrations I found these settings to pass calibration as best as possible:

THE BAD: Ramps-fail,White clipping-fail,Chroma clipping-fail,BT.709-fail,Contrast Y-fail,Contrast cb-fail. The basic contrast setting could resolve only to 235-fail.

Pluge,Geometry,Crossed steps,Color bars,Tint,Framing passed.
Contrast red,cr,bl passed.

2nd & current settings:
Custom
Brightness 48
Backlight 3
Picture 48 (down from 51)
Color 50
Tint R1
Color temp Neutral ( changed from cool)
Sharpness 3
Gamma +3
All other processing set to off
Cinemotion Auto 2
Eco Low

Now to evaluate LLE (lips & hands) for lavender bloom.

I'll post any changes over the next few days.
Mike

post #4324 of 4346 Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After 2nd go of basic settings & advanced video calibrations I found these settings to pass calibration as best as possible:

THE BAD: Ramps-fail,White clipping-fail,Chroma clipping-fail,BT.709-fail,Contrast Y-fail,Contrast cb-fail. The basic contrast setting could resolve only to 235-fail.

Pluge,Geometry,Crossed steps,Color bars,Tint,Framing passed.
Contrast red,cr,bl passed.

2nd & current settings:
Custom
Brightness 48
Backlight 3
Picture 48 (down from 51)
Color 50
Tint R1
Color temp Neutral ( changed from cool)
Sharpness 3
Gamma +3
All other processing set to off
Cinemotion Auto 2
Eco Low

Now to evaluate LLE (lips & hands) for lavender bloom.

I'll post any changes over the next few days.
Mike

You're likely going to want to do the testing with the eco off. Altering the backlight randomly is the best way to get unpredictable results. In theory it'll compensate for ambient light, but most folks hate it.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #4325 of 4346 Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Double checked eco settings and found no change in contrast failure but finally left eco off. Have not noticed any LLE on any source material.

post #4326 of 4346 Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Watch "Once Upon A Time", "Big Bang" or "Criminal Minds". Prince Charming, Sheldon and Agent Hotchner have lavender lips, ear lobes and neck. It is better than it used to be, but still not right.

All in all though I gotta say I have been happy with my Sony. It's a nice 70 inch image and it doesn't heat up the bedroom the way the old 50 inch plasma does. On that, I watched the 50 inch plasma the other day for a few minutes (with my glasses on) and forgot just how "rich" plasma is. Sure am sad it lost out to LCD.

We put the plasma in the guest room and advise guests to NOT turn it on until winter.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #4327 of 4346 Old 10-31-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Now that I look at it more, I'm not sure Lavender Lip Effect accurately describes what I'm seeing. It's more of a blue or slightly purple fringing... never really on faces, more on edges when things on screen are in motion. Usually seen on shoulders and arms, maybe the sides of faces or heads, etc.

In photography it's technically known as "Chromatic Aberration," which is a failure of the lens' ability to properly focus colours. I'm not sure how this translates over to video content, and I can't see this being an issue with the source material as it occurs with TV broadcasts, Blu-rays, video files, and video games. Perhaps there's a way I can correct this in the colour management settings?
post #4328 of 4346 Old 11-01-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter21 View Post
Now that I look at it more, I'm not sure Lavender Lip Effect accurately describes what I'm seeing. It's more of a blue or slightly purple fringing... never really on faces, more on edges when things on screen are in motion. Usually seen on shoulders and arms, maybe the sides of faces or heads, etc.

In photography it's technically known as "Chromatic Aberration," which is a failure of the lens' ability to properly focus colours. I'm not sure how this translates over to video content, and I can't see this being an issue with the source material as it occurs with TV broadcasts, Blu-rays, video files, and video games. Perhaps there's a way I can correct this in the colour management settings?
LLE isn't like the CA of cameras, so you're right in that what you're seeing is something different. It's common for different motion algorithms to cause artifacts that present themselves slightly differently depending upon settings. Before running to modifying any CMS based settings, try experimenting with the different motion options.

BTW, one of THE most irritating things about manufacturers these days is how horribly they document just WTflyingF their "advanced options" are doing at the algorithm level. I have to wonder if the problem with skin tones we have isn't solvable not by calibration, but sony specific calibration.

post #4329 of 4346 Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qncyk View Post
hi

I bought a 60 kdl 550 in February of this year(2014) and the screen went bad. sony now sent me a refurnished screen from Sharp and the screen manufactured date is september of 2013.

I am essentially getting a used screen with prior problems and who knows if this was a demo screen with 1000s of hours of use.

buyer beware as this is how sony will treat their customers

horrible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
An R550 screen from Sharp? Really? Well for what it's worth, the XBR flagships of prior years that were made by Sharp were considered stellar (XBR 900/929 etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
I'm in that menu now. This is accessed same as my WV700. (Though the WV700 Service Menu was gigantic in it's scope of settings, etc.)

At your own risk, etc, etc...TV off. Press Display, 5, Volume up, Power.

At top it says: Service Mode

One line is titled Panel Selection, I see this displayed on that line: 31_JE695D3LB4N_US
Hey guys, have become intrigued by this model not offered in Europe and particularly in whether it was a passive 3D VA model. Searching on the panel StormCrow found in his service menu also led me to a Sharp panel (JE695D3LB4N) found here: http://www.partsimple.com/je695d3lb4n-sha-n-13.html
Interesting as the passive VA panels used in the W series have been by AUO so far and only 60Hz ones at that ...
post #4330 of 4346 Old 11-03-2014, 04:33 PM

5 blinking red lights

any idea what might be causing this and whether its worth fixing?

Definitely don't know what I'm doing... but thought I'd give this forum a shot before contacting a TV repair guy

Bought the 70 inch version of this about 15 months ago.

A couple days ago... when I tried to power it on, the power light turned green... it looked like it was going to start to power on... then shut down. Have a series of 5 blinking red lights.

Of course I didn't buy an extended warranty from the big box place I bought it at (figures). I've owned several Sony TVs over my lifetime and they've all lasted at least 10 years.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks
post #4331 of 4346 Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Hey guys, have become intrigued by this model not offered in Europe and particularly in whether it was a passive 3D VA model. Searching on the panel StormCrow found in his service menu also led me to a Sharp panel (JE695D3LB4N) found here: http://www.partsimple.com/je695d3lb4n-sha-n-13.html
Interesting as the passive VA panels used in the W series have been by AUO so far and only 60Hz ones at that ...
I have to wonder: is that a replacement compatible part or what the panel truly is. I noticed that the price on that page is $2,535.34. (!)

post #4332 of 4346 Old 11-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It may jump after the TV comes out due to demand, but it will probably go right back to 2700.
post #4333 of 4346 Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldynamos View Post

Definitely don't know what I'm doing... but thought I'd give this forum a shot before contacting a TV repair guy
A couple days ago... when I tried to power it on, the power light turned green... it looked like it was going to start to power on... then shut down. Have a series of 5 blinking red lights.
Of course I didn't buy an extended warranty from the big box place I bought it at (figures). I've owned several Sony TVs over my lifetime and they've all lasted at least 10 years.
Did you you try unplugging and pluggin gback again. I recall early in my ownership I had one issue where it would not turn on but can't recall what was blinking. A quick unplug plug back fixed the problem.

Last edited by Cucuy; 11-04-2014 at 02:36 PM.
post #4334 of 4346 Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 PM

Store Display Mode

I have the 70R550A and noticed the picture doesn't look crisp. Turned the TV on today and small window in the lower right side appeared and said that the TV was in a store display mode. I'm guessing the wife or kids must have inadvertently turned this on. However, I can't find how to turn this off. Can anyone help me out. Thanks.
post #4335 of 4346 Old 11-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldynamos View Post

Have you tried unplugging the TV, leaving it off for a couple minutes, then plugging it back in. Also make sure there isn't anything in the vents.

Blinking red LED usually mean they require services. Hope it's not something serious.
post #4336 of 4346 Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Wink Lle

So far I have seen Big Bangs Sheldons pink hands & blotchy flesh on Graveyard Carz while all other content looks fine.I will leave the settings as they are for a while.

post #4337 of 4346 Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So far I have seen Big Bangs Sheldons pink hands & blotchy flesh on Graveyard Carz while all other content looks fine.I will leave the settings as they are for a while.
Don't ask me what the CMS is doing in this TV. Another TV showing that exact same feed would not show it. No one I know has ever seen this kind of behavior before.

I heard that on the higher end models of Sony, they use the advanced setting "live color" as a way of "defending" the flesh tone sections of the color model. I haven't had any luck with it.

post #4338 of 4346 Old 11-09-2014, 10:11 AM

The LLE is infrequent enough now not to bother me much and the blotches have been cleaned up and not very noticeable.

So this setup (TV/Blu Ray/5.1 audio) will keep me entertained for the next 7 years until 4K/?audio upgrades.

TTYL guys
Mike

post #4339 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 AM

sony KDL70R550A not working

My Sony will not turn on and does not have volume. It is 14 months old and not under any warrenty
I had a repair man out and he said it was the panel. 5700 and not available to purchase any way. This is more than the TV is worth. Any suggestions?

Last edited by eddiegorniakjr; 11-17-2014 at 11:47 AM.
post #4340 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegorniakjr View Post
My Sony will not turn on and does not have volume. It is 14 months old and not under any warrenty
I had a repair man out and he said it was the panel. 5000 and not available to purchase any way. This is more than the TV is worth. Any suggestions?
Call Sony...it will be a pain, but be persistent. They will offer you a deal of some sort.
post #4341 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7277 View Post
Call Sony...it will be a pain, but be persistent. They will offer you a deal of some sort.
Do you have a number? The one that I have will not give me a manager.
post #4342 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 AM

My wife has been calling Sony for two days. She is always told Sony doesn't have any managers that you can talk to on the phone. Here are the choices Sony gave. We can ship the tv to Sony and they will give us a price to repair it. We can get 15% off a new tv from Sony's website. Or we can throw out the tv. Looks like I lose again with another Sony. So far it cost us $99 for the Sony authorized repair service (a & e signature service) to come out. Sony gave my wife the number for that company.
post #4343 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegorniakjr View Post
Do you have a number? The one that I have will not give me a manager.
If you can't get them to create a case ID and have someone contact you, email them. Someone will contact you at some point

SonysupportUSA@am.sony.com
post #4344 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 12:23 PM

My wife has given up on the phone after three more hours on the phone again today.
She will try emailing but we aren't good at this. And we are not expecting any better results then she had on the phone.
Our last tv was a sony rear projection tv. And the optical engine went out soon after the warranty expired. And we didn't
want to pay the $600+ to have it replaced so we left it when we moved and bought this 14 months ago.

This time we had the repair company come out for $99. We got their number from Sony. The repair man tried unplugging it and rebooting.
Then he said it could be two things. He phoned and then told us it if it was the power supply it would cost $200+ for the part and $200+
for labor. Or $488 total. And he said the other thing it could be was it needs a complete new panel which cost $5700. But it is unavailable because more then 50% break during shipment. So sony will no longer ship it. He wouldn't take it off the wall to check. So I said if you put this part in and it still doesn't work I won't pay the $488. He said no. I would have to pay that $488.
My wife made him wait and the neighbors kids came and took it down.
He turned the power off and attached a wire. He said if it flashes when he turns it on it is the power supply. He was again on the phone with his company. It didn't flash. So he said it must be the panel. But his company made him look at a couple other things. He again turned it off and hooked up a meter to the fuse. But he said it isn't the fuse. So his company said it is the panel and again said it costs $5700. But that it is not available for shipping. So they couldn't do anything. But we still had to pay the $99.
Thanks for the help.
post #4345 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7277 View Post
If you can't get them to create a case ID and have someone contact you, email them. Someone will contact you at some point

SonysupportUSA@am.sony.com
You don't have to be good at e-mailing. Simply e-mail sonysupportusa@am.sony.com. tell them the model number and when you bought the tv and your phone number. Someone from customer service will call you. They will probably make some kind of offer. That offer will most likely not make you happy so then follow with another e-mail mentioning your intention to file a claim with the BBB. You should get another call from a CR manager.
post #4346 of 4346 Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 PM

Thank you for all the help.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page