Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 146 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4351 of 4368 Old 11-28-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wink Sheldons hands???

Watched some of Big Bang last night (rerun) and noticed Sheldon's hands were pink but Leonard's & Howard's hands were normal - bet that dude has a special lotion applied. He needs to stop that ****!!! LOL

Just sayin' dudes!!

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4368 Old 11-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I've had my 70R550A for about a year now, and I am growing extremely displeased with it.. The "ghosting" seems to be getting worse.. In the middle of my screen it's starting to look like a wavy mesh or something.. I bought an extended warranty with it so I may try for a replacement of some sort..

Is it possible for ghosting or whatever this wavy bubbly look is to get worse over time? These Sony series aren't very good are they?

Add to this I am starting to see bright dots on a white background.. Which is odd, if these are stuck pixels wouldn't they show on a black background. They only seem visible mostly on brighter backgrounds.. And there are a few appearing too... Bottom hemisphere.. Man this TV is going downhill..

Last edited by Eron; 11-30-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #4353 of 4368 Old 11-30-2014, 02:28 PM

I am approaching 1 year with the 60" version - no issues except the occasional clouding which seems to improve with cleaning with microfiber towell.
Can't wait!!!

post #4354 of 4368 Old 12-17-2014, 06:39 PM

Question screen artifacts

Now I have a consistent screen artifact - a football shaped lighter area with two vertical darker bars with widening near the bottom. Persistent with every input. I minimized the effect by setting eco to max and lowering brightness levels. Knowing it is there I see it all the time but by trying not to look for it I can tone it out. Weird!!

Clouding comes and goes and not a significant issue at the moment. I read the manual and it mentions the clouding early on.

Wonder what the future holds for this set but if I can get 7 years use I'll be happy.

post #4355 of 4368 Old 12-18-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerman View Post
Now I have a consistent screen artifact - a football shaped lighter area with two vertical darker bars with widening near the bottom. Persistent with every input. I minimized the effect by setting eco to max and lowering brightness levels. Knowing it is there I see it all the time but by trying not to look for it I can tone it out. Weird!!

Clouding comes and goes and not a significant issue at the moment. I read the manual and it mentions the clouding early on.

Wonder what the future holds for this set but if I can get 7 years use I'll be happy.
Can you take a picture of it with eco off (etc.)? It sounds a little like what happens when the panel contacts have been affected.

Just out of curiosity: Did you spray any liquid directly on the screen?

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"
post #4356 of 4368 Old 12-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Never have cleaned with any fluid - dry microfiber only. I'll try to send pics soon.

post #4357 of 4368 Old 01-04-2015, 09:42 AM

I've taken a pic of my problem.. And its getting worse.. I can clearly see some of the ripples in some movie scenes...

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	458874  
post #4358 of 4368 Old 01-04-2015, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eron View Post
I've taken a pic of my problem.. And its getting worse.. I can clearly see some of the ripples in some movie scenes...

What do you guys think?
I think that whatever caused this is likely to be the thing that caused the "blob effect" that we've spoken of so often.

post #4359 of 4368 Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys, I might just throw out this TV outright in the next year or so and call it a loss. It's not worth the aggravation, and I prefer the "nuke the bridge" approach to mitigate stress in my life.

post #4360 of 4368 Old 01-04-2015, 07:03 PM

So this is radial banding...

Mine was NOT always aparent thats for sure. I would have noticed it.
post #4361 of 4368 Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Guys, I might just throw out this TV outright in the next year or so and call it a loss. It's not worth the aggravation, and I prefer the "nuke the bridge" approach to mitigate stress in my life.
Just the opposite here. I like the 60" so much, that after getting a wonky Samsung 28" for Christmas to fill a gap in our study, I've sent the Samsung back and hope to grab a 32" Sony.

We've never owned a Samsung before, but we have used them in hotels and such. I dislike the pasty-faced look the I see on the Samsungs. But this one had a weird problem that no-one seemed to know anything about. I'd switch from a 720p TV channel back to an SD 480i channel and the SD channel would look jerky, like a Skype video. If I turned that Samsung off and back on while still on the SD channel, the motion was smooth as silk. Anyway - not impressed with Samsungs and will stick with Sony.

I'll report how that goes when we get the replacement in here.

Harry
post #4362 of 4368 Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Well, my 70" R550A is past its one year warranty at 14 months old - knock on wood that it stays in good working condition for at least a couple more years, as I opted not to purchase any extended warranties (I procrastinated and was too lazy/forgetful when the one year period came and went). In truth, I'm fairly content with the picture quality. I use my Oppo for video processing duties for all non-1080p content (i.e. scaling/de-interlacing), so I think I'm pretty much getting the best PQ I can with the equipment I have.

Still waiting for an affordable 4k/passive 3D display, whether it's OLED, quantum-dot, or whatever... as long as it improves upon LED edge-lit displays, which should be a pretty easy threshold to exceed.
post #4363 of 4368 Old 01-17-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry I used to love it until this happened

Hi everyone,

My 2013 KDL-70R550A is displaying a vertical dark area that is mostly visible while displaying a grey background, less intense with other colours and barely visible with white and red backgrounds.. Any help please? I attached a pic here.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	484121  
post #4364 of 4368 Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter21 View Post
Now that I look at it more, I'm not sure Lavender Lip Effect accurately describes what I'm seeing. It's more of a blue or slightly purple fringing... never really on faces, more on edges when things on screen are in motion. Usually seen on shoulders and arms, maybe the sides of faces or heads, etc.

In photography it's technically known as "Chromatic Aberration," which is a failure of the lens' ability to properly focus colours. I'm not sure how this translates over to video content, and I can't see this being an issue with the source material as it occurs with TV broadcasts, Blu-rays, video files, and video games. Perhaps there's a way I can correct this in the colour management settings?
Been off this thread a while.

Just saw this post.

This is exactly what I had described in the thread, way back when. Think I even posted a photo?

Anyway, I still have the TV. But, cut the cord and only have O/A HD, NetFlix, XB1/PS4 games and rarely Blu Ray.

Don't really see this as often as before. (As well as LLE)

This blue ghosting on motion, likely is the TV's quirky response to motion and how it poorly renders under specific conditions? In my case, more common to DirecTV apparently. (Was really bad on shows like Walking Dead, which have that contrasty, grainy look.)

It also has that quirk, as addressed previously, where something like the sun shining through mist/fog, has circular bands radiating from it, instead of smooth, natural gradient away from the light source.

Last edited by StormCrow; 01-19-2015 at 10:07 AM.
post #4365 of 4368 Old 01-19-2015, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
It also has that quirk, as addressed previously, where something like the sun shining through mist/fog, has circular bands radiating from it, instead of smooth, natural gradient away from the light source.
Yeah, that's called "contouring" or "false contouring". It's the result of a gray/color ramp with limited bit depth. On higher end models they have a mechanism of upscaling that using a variety of techniques similar to temporal and spatial dithering.

post #4366 of 4368 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Well.. Since I purchased the extended warranty the reseller is offering to provide me a full refund on the junk Sony and they recommended a Panasonic TC65AX800 as my replacement..

hmmmm
post #4367 of 4368 Unread Today, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Sorry you guys have had such issues with your Sony. I've had my 70 since July 2013 and all's good - knock on wood. We watch it ALOT. Some weekends it's on for over 16 hours straight! We love the picture.
post #4368 of 4368 Unread Today, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
Sorry you guys have had such issues with your Sony. I've had my 70 since July 2013 and all's good - knock on wood. We watch it ALOT. Some weekends it's on for over 16 hours straight! We love the picture.
Are you sure it's good? Throw a white background up on it by going to..
http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php?p=2

Then, look for this phenomenon..
white speckles on sharp 650u series tv

My Sony is displaying these white dots which some say are bad panels that Sony and Sharp both bought.. Hope you are actually right and yours is good.. But if you see any of these, prepare for more!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50r550a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page