Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2015, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sorry I don't have an answer for ya on the "problem", but if you happened to buy it on an American Express card the warranty should be extended a year past Sony's one year warranty.

We got our 70 inch over a year ago, but have had it on A LOT. Not kidding when I say it can be on 12 hours a day! Mostly I started leaving it on because of all the issues people seem to be having and I really wanted any issues that I may have to show up while it was still under warranty - be it Sony's or Amex's. So far so good with fingers crossed.

Anyhow, just thought to mention the Amex warranty thing because I have forgotten about that a time or two. I try to buy all my pricey electronics on it. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidanS View Post
Yes this happens on all HDMI ports, with blu-ray, TV (antenna input) and component video-in input.

Thank you once again for all your help!
It still could be a mobo problem, but I'm just not sure. Please have a service guy check it out. It could be HUGE (corrupted panel and fried whatever and dump the TV) or small (replace a mini board with a capacitor on it). It'll require a service guy....I would start by calling Sony themselves.

Sorry I can't help better. :-/

What do you call a Harley that doesn't leak oil?
Out of oil.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDheadedGRL View Post
yeah its pretty crazy. here are some pictures and a short video of the issue from black ops 2.

It only does it while moving around which is crazy, the second movement slow down it stops. check out the vid.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%2002%20PM.mov
Resurrecting a point made here a long time ago, I also just encountered the phenomenon and wanted to expound upon it here. Up until now, I've not had any of the common "symptoms" that have been complained about here. If I have "clouding", it's extremely mild and doesn't bother me at all. If I have blobs, I've not been able to detect any - thus I've echoed the sentiments of a few here that my set is among the better ones. I see some "lavender lips", but not to the degree that it bothers me. Bottom line - there's more "right" with this 60" TV than there is "wrong" with it.

Now, to the blue ghosting effect. In playing with settings over the last couple of years, I think I noticed it once before, but couldn't nail it down. At this point though, I think I DO have some factors nailed down.

Most of the time that I've watched this set, it's been in the "Custom" picture mode. For some reason, I recently switched to "Standard" as I was messing about with "Live Color" and sharpness settings and left it there. The other day, I ordered and received THE TWILIGHT ZONE on Blu-ray and began watching an episode or two and that's when I noticed blue-ghosting as the camera panned left or right. As soon as the camera stopped, everything looked normal again. The blue effect stood out as the program is all black & white - so any coloring effect is easily spotted.

My heart began to sink. Has my TV started down the road to degradation? Am I going to be dealing with the dreaded Sony customer service that I've seen detailed here? Has the set been in service too long for anyone to do anything about it? Can I learn to live with this blue-ghosting?

As I played with settings to try to minimize it - turning color down didn't help at all - adjusting sharpness wasn't a factor - color temperature settings didn't matter, I DID stumble upon the fact that I'd left the set in "Standard" all this time. Setting it back to "Custom" seems to have alleviated the problem. I just watched a couple of those TWILIGHT ZONE episodes and saw no trace of the blue ghost.

So, if "BALDheadedGRL" is still around with this television, or if anyone else has come upon this phenomenon, perhaps an adjustment from Standard to Custom will do the trick.

One thing I've noticed is that "Custom" tends to have a sharper picture than "Standard" and I've had to back off the sharpness control a bit to compensate, but that's easy enough to do.

Harry
Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
So, if "BALDheadedGRL" is still around with this television, or if anyone else has come upon this phenomenon, perhaps an adjustment from Standard to Custom will do the trick.

One thing I've noticed is that "Custom" tends to have a sharper picture than "Standard" and I've had to back off the sharpness control a bit to compensate, but that's easy enough to do.

Harry
Nope my solution was to get a samsung 65F8000, which was just replaced with a HU9000 after grounding issue.

I couldn't deal with the ghosting and I was well with in my return period at test buy.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 70" version and am having wireless wifi connectivity issues. I cant make it through a two hour movie on Netflix without losing wifi connectivity at least a couple of times. I check the signal with a WiFi analyzer app and the signal is strong, no problem with any other wireless devices. Is anyone else having wireless wifi connectivity issues? Is there a known problem with this wireless on this set?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 AM

cable trumps wifi 4 sho

I only tried wifi early on, right after getting the set. It worked fine, but I decided to run cables to each room after realizing that I use web services ALOT. Appears my Apple router doesn't play nice with ALL others. While it was a pain crawling around in the attic, glad I cabled. So reliable now.

So sorry I can't help ya. But even if you do get it figured out, if your set-up allows, nothing like cable over wifi. Seems these non-computer devices agree. And it allows me to run Netflix HD and 3D even though my internet speeds say I shouldn't be able to. With wifi it was often an issue.
tgm1024 likes this.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
I only tried wifi early on, right after getting the set. It worked fine, but I decided to run cables to each room after realizing that I use web services ALOT. Appears my Apple router doesn't play nice with ALL others. While it was a pain crawling around in the attic, glad I cabled. So reliable now.

So sorry I can't help ya. But even if you do get it figured out, if your set-up allows, nothing like cable over wifi. Seems these non-computer devices agree. And it allows me to run Netflix HD and 3D even though my internet speeds say I shouldn't be able to. With wifi it was often an issue.
Which category are you running? Cat5e? Cat6?

Out of oil.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermi View Post
I have the 70" version and am having wireless wifi connectivity issues. I cant make it through a two hour movie on Netflix without losing wifi connectivity at least a couple of times. I check the signal with a WiFi analyzer app and the signal is strong, no problem with any other wireless devices. Is anyone else having wireless wifi connectivity issues? Is there a known problem with this wireless on this set?
I have been using wifi since I got the set. No connectivity issues I can think of related to the set. Sometimes when watching Amazon and or Netflix I see some reduction in resolution but could be my IP provider or my wireless network congestion or the set.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:51 PM

I ran Cat5e. I'm on DSL with "upto" 10 Mbps. Speeds pretty consistent. So glad I wired. No more issues with Netflix Super HD or Netflix 3D since I did. It's just so much more stable and consistent.

FWIW, I had tried a Vizio 70 inch sorta smart tv. Sorta because it couldn't stream for crap. Not all wifi devices seem to work well together.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
I ran Cat5e. I'm on DSL with "upto" 10 Mbps. Speeds pretty consistent. So glad I wired. No more issues with Netflix Super HD or Netflix 3D since I did. It's just so much more stable and consistent.

FWIW, I had tried a Vizio 70 inch sorta smart tv. Sorta because it couldn't stream for crap. Not all wifi devices seem to work well together.
What are the specs of that port I wonder.......

Out of oil.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:35 AM

I ran 3 Cat5e cables from the Apple router in the home office through the attic to each of the 3 rooms that have devices normally connected to the web. In two of those rooms I added a cheap ethernet switch and have multiple devices connected at those switches (PS3, Xbox360, TV, laptop, etc.). It's so awesome to not have interference messing up the connection like I would get with wifi.

Netflix Super HD looks awesome on the 70 inch tv, but not quite good enough on the 12 foot projector. And while I could use the TV's internet ability I refer the PS3's. I've turned OFF the wifi on every device I could that is already connected via the Cat5e. This means the Sony TV's wifi is "OFF". Only portable devices in my house use wifi like phones and laptops.

I can't recall where I had heard it, but I remember someone saying to me that no matter what signal or frequency it is, if it is over the air there is ALWAYS interference of some sort. I'm ignorant of the details, but makes sense to me when you start thinking about wireless devices from wifi to cell phones to intercoms to printers to Bluetooth to remotes to over the air TV and so on. And that's just what's in your own home let alone your neighbors... and the NSA's.

Oh forgot to add.... Last night the wife actually paused the TV on a commercial and said, "I don't think the settings are right because I know his lips don't normally look like that". She was of course referring to the LLE. It has finally happened fellas. The wife is now seeing things that were once only possible by men. What have I done!?! lol
Old 05-13-2015, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
bought kdl 70R550a at costco May 25,2013- Impluse buy as our 60" Sony Rear Proj had just died - liked the 70" size, price of Sony product & Costco warranty. I put up with the clouding, etc -no issues --until few weeks ago noticed lots of pixelation/movement in some black scenes. Letterbox top/bottom black bars had lots of brightness changes from black to lighter black with movement/red lines etc- 4/3 bars on left/right had similar issues as did scrolling in black area at end of movie.

Recorded lots of stuff for tech to see the issue in most black areas & also recorded same items on my bedroom Sony XBR50HX909 to show it had no issues-

Called costco last week- TV still under their 2 yr warranty. Went thru their resetting of TV/trouble shooting steps for 15 minutes, after this didn't resolve issues was transferred to another rep. They set up home service call with their contractor-- ITI. Costco followed up perfectly thru the process- Called next day to see if i heard from ITI tech for visit- I had not- they contacted ITI & i had appt set up for next day.

ITI Tech came out & verified issues. He also saw same issues using his own DVR on non-hdmi input- Took video of issues & sent to his repair folks- Costco followed up after his visit to explain the next steps when they get the ITI report.

Received call few hrs later from Costco who said TV issues could not be repaired- Told me to take TV back to costco within next 2 weeks & store would work out specifics- said they would be sending store an email explaining all this-

TV returned today- received cash card for my full purchase price as well as the $99 of square trade warranty. Can't beat Costco - they're absolutely first rate.- Wish they carried more higher end TV models-
Now researching TVs again after 2 yrs of not paying attention- i'm spoiled with costco return/warranty but will be looking for 2014/2015 XBR Sony or JS Samsung model. I was shocked after moving my bedroom Sony 50" XBR50HX909 into living room today - it looked tiny but the picture was soooo much better- nice blacks no clouding great contrast, etc. - I'll be looking for a 2014/2015 XBR Sony or JS Samsung-

Last edited by bgrpph; 05-13-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
TV returned today- received cash card for my full purchase price as well as the $99 of square trade warranty. Can't beat Costco - they're absolutely first rate.- Wish they carried more higher end TV models-
Now researching TVs again after 2 yrs of not paying attention- i'm spoiled with costco return/warranty but will be looking for 2014/2015 XBR Sony or JS Samsung model. I was shocked after moving my bedroom Sony 50" XBR50HX909 into living room today - it looked tiny but the picture was soooo much better- nice blacks no clouding great contrast, etc. - I'll be looking for a 2014/2015 XBR Sony or JS Samsung-
Sad to hear you are going thru all this within two years from a "first tier" TV maker. Although I don't have any problems with my TV, it sounds like they don't make them as they used to. I will definitely consider Costco next time I go purchasing for a TV.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I'm having an audio passthrough problem - wonder if anyone else has any ideas about what is going on.

Recently got a Roku 2 (2015 model). Only has HDMI out. I also have a legacy Sony AVR that doesn't decode Dolby Digital+. The Roku only outputs surround in DD+. So I fiddled with the settings a bunch and now I have the Roku hooked directly to the r550 and then display set to digital audio out. Optical cable back into the AVR now provides the audio. Success on the downscaling of the DD+ signal to AC3 (that my receiver can handle). I now get surround out of the Roku with this workaround. Was very happy for a few minutes as I don't want to have to buy another AVR just for this issue.

This issue I am having now is that the optical out on the display does not seem to handle switching back and forth from 5.1 surround to stereo PCM. So if I am playing a movie on Netflix in 5.1 and then switch to a show on google play that is PCM the audio is completely garbled. The reason I think that it is the display and not the Roku or the avr is that if I turn the display on and off the PCM resets itself and the audio returns to normal. However if I then switch back to 5.1 and then back to PCM the audio goes garbled again.

At a bit of a loss now. Three things I was thinking of were (a) a new optical cable (b) a different HDMI cable (c) firmware update on display. Does anyone else have any ideas of what is going on and what I could do about it?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Parental Control.........for YouTube?

Hey guys, OP here. I'm curious about something.

My 60R550A has parental controls for all the inputs, but no where does it seem to have any way of password locking out YouTube, etc. It seems that the TV is completely hands-off when it comes to any controls over its embedded apps.

Is this true? The manual seems to confirm that only input ports (HDMI1-4/etc.) can be blocked.

Out of oil.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hibrow 71 - AC3 ? Is that Dolby Pro Logic? Legacy x2 -- old pro logic Denon to another Legacy Denon AVR (DD + DTS) & Denon Univ DVD player to an Oppo & current Denon AVR with great results and worth every penny except now the r550a is the weak link. Artifacts & clouding!!! Next time more time will be spent in research!!
Don't use wireless apps & room correction - ears & an SPL meter works for me!! KISS man!!

Geauxd Luck!!

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
Old Today, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dead 70R550A fixable, worth anything?

Hi guys,

I have a KDL-70R550A that is apparently dead. I have an extended warranty, and based on a recording and a few photos of the original problem, they're calling it a nonrepairable panel issue and will be sending a replacement.

Squaretrade doesn't want the tv, so my question is, are they correct that the panel is shot or is it possible the problem is with a board I could pick up somewhere for a reasonable price to replace myself? If the tv can't be fixed, is it worth anything for parts, or should I just recycle it? I'd hate to throw this tv away over a $100 part.

The original problem was a horizontal dark line about 3 pixels wide. It wasn't solid black, and faded more towards one edge than the other. It was like this for a week, but today the screen went dark and powered off, and now the power led flashes red or orange 5 times repeatedly. If I hit the power button, the tv tries to turn on, but goes back to the blinking code after a few seconds.

Thanks for any input.

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv