Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4197 Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sit around 15 feet away from my LG 65 inch TV and off to the side around 3 feet to the left of the TV. My seat is angled towards the TV. I don't get any washout. I am going to switch out to the TV put from what I hear the picture will be washed out. Is this true? Should I upgrade to this TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4197 Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM

I sit around 15 feet away from my LG 65 inch TV and off to the side around 3 feet to the left of the TV. My seat is angled towards the TV. I don't get any washout. I am going to switch out to this TV but from what I hear the picture will be washed out. Is this true? Should I bother upgrading to this TV?
post #453 of 4197 Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does this tv have the vudu app?
post #454 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian110 View Post

Does anyone know if this tv will pass a 5.1 signal through the digital out?
Sony lists "5.1 digital audio out" on the sony website, but does that mean it will pass it through the optical out?

Mine passed the 5.1 Dolby Digital out OK but NOT the DTS. I've tried several HDMI cables with the same result. The annoying thing about this TV is the power cable is not detachable and that makes it a little difficult to wall mount.
post #455 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leeds View Post

I sit around 15 feet away from my LG 65 inch TV and off to the side around 3 feet to the left of the TV. My seat is angled towards the TV. I don't get any washout. I am going to switch out to the TV put from what I hear the picture will be washed out. Is this true? Should I upgrade to this TV?

My 550 has no worse angles than any of the high end LGs do. For the most part (interpret that how you will smile.gif), picture starts getting lower in luminance at 45° off screen normal. But colors color more or less in the same balance. {shrug} It's ok for me, and I'm horrendously picky. I forced myself to deal with this before I bought it because I know what the high end LG IPSs look like.

However, my wife did say "I like this TV but I'm not getting attached to it because I know you're going to hate it and send it back".

LOL

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #456 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, immediate observations.

1. It's not the sharpest of the sharpest images up close. But at any non-stupid viewing distance, it's fine. I do think the culprit is the diffusion of the half-mat glass. Further, I've only used the FIOS 1080i (and uber compressed) to test this, which is far from ideal, but I since I watch FIOS tv, it's a pretty important test.

2. IMPORTANT: It's common for an LCD to cast surface reflections that slightly sort of "wobble" as you move around. It's not a uniform surface, particularly for the non-glass ones. On mine it's fairly pronounced toward the edges, but so far has no impact whatsoever on the picture; I'll know more when I run the calibration grids. But I need to know if anyone else has seen this.

3. Yes the "power saver mode" absolutely has to be turned off unless you live 50 feet underground in "total-cave-darkness".

4. The out-of-the-box "normal" setting has an overly dominating red. Some Caucasian skin tones are good. Others will have makeup that looks like Mimi on the Drew Carey show.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #457 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

There it is.... my only real complaint about this tv... No Vudu.
post #458 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

1. It's not the sharpest of the sharpest images up close. But at any non-stupid viewing distance, it's fine. I do think the culprit is the diffusion of the half-mat glass. Further, I've only used the FIOS 1080i (and uber compressed) to test this, which is far from ideal, but I since I watch FIOS tv, it's a pretty important test.

2. IMPORTANT: It's common for an LCD to cast surface reflections that slightly sort of "wobble" as you move around. It's not a uniform surface, particularly for the non-glass ones. On mine it's fairly pronounced toward the edges, but so far has no impact whatsoever on the picture; I'll know more when I run the calibration grids. But I need to know if anyone else has seen this.

3. Yes the "power saver mode" absolutely has to be turned off unless you live 50 feet underground in "total-cave-darkness".

4. The out-of-the-box "normal" setting has an overly dominating red. Some Caucasian skin tones are good. Others will have makeup that looks like Mimi on the Drew Carey show.

Keep us updated with some observations/opinion of 3D picture and performance when you get a chance.
post #459 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Quote:

Keep us updated with some observations/opinion of 3D picture and performance when you get a chance.

Did you see any surface reflection distortion when it's off?

post #460 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I think for me the answer is yes, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I can see the reflection of ceiling lights at the back of my room when the TV is off and the image is distorted by the matte finish of the screen.
post #461 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 14
Hey everyone TV came today. So far so good. The matte finish screen definitely works better in my living room. Between the front door and the huge picture window and even with no light blinds the Samsung ES8000 reflected horribly. Nothing like seeing myself in the picture during dark scenes.

The TV is definitely on the thick side but still thinner then my old Sony LCD. I did notice the ports on the back are rather cheaply done.

From my perspective 3D viewing was exactly the same as active. However not sure if it was Verizon Fios but wording was slightly jagged. For example I watched Spiderman 3D and the MARVEL logo and The Amazing Spiderman title seemed very slightly jagged. I am gonna try a 3D blu ray tonight and report back. Overall the 3D was excellent.

It doesnt have all the bells and whistles and the sleek look of the ES8000 but it has a great picture and no banding or clouding. This TV is 120hz but maybe its me. I think 240hz on my last tv actually made things look worse. Like it was trying too hard.

Ask me any questions if you want and I will try to answer them as best I can.
post #462 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoEater View Post

Quote:

I think for me the answer is yes, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I can see the reflection of ceiling lights at the back of my room when the TV is off and the image is distorted by the matte finish of the screen.

Keep the TV off. Look at the reflection of the ceiling lights. Now move slowly left and right. Do you see the reflection go thorugh a kind of distortion? Sort of like the uneven surface of a pond.

post #463 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLyons1977 View Post

From my perspective 3D viewing was exactly the same as active. However not sure if it was Verizon Fios but wording was slightly jagged. For example I watched Spiderman 3D and the MARVEL logo and The Amazing Spiderman title seemed very slightly jagged.

Passive works by giving every-other scanline to each eye. Thus you lose vertical resolution; 1080 hacked in half yields 540, so your TV is now a 1920x540 3D device. Not a lot of pixels for drawing sharply defined curves and slanted lines, such as with text.

There's an added goofiness in that in the 2D case, cable boxes yield 1080i, 60Hz interlaced signals (30 full frames a second) and I don't yet know what they're sending for 3D.

post #464 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Passive works by giving every-other scanline to each eye. Thus you lose vertical resolution; 1080 hacked in half yields 540, so your TV is now a 1920x540 3D device. Not a lot of pixels for drawing sharply defined curves and slanted lines, such as with text.

There's an added goofiness in that in the 2D case, cable boxes yield 1080i, 60Hz interlaced signals (30 full frames a second) and I don't yet know what they're sending for 3D.

Got ya. I am gonna try Wreck it Ralph 3D and see what the results are.

Anyone with calibration settings?
post #465 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Yes there're VUDU apps
post #466 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM

Finally mounted her last night all by myself. She's a beauty at only around 80 pounds. I think she could be a little higher smile.gif

post #467 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Hey everyone TV came today. So far so good. The matte finish screen definitely works better in my living room. Between the front door and the huge picture window and even with no light blinds the Samsung ES8000 reflected horribly. Nothing like seeing myself in the picture during dark scenes.

The TV is definitely on the thick side but still thinner then my old Sony LCD. I did notice the ports on the back are rather cheaply done.

From my perspective 3D viewing was exactly the same as active. However not sure if it was Verizon Fios but wording was slightly jagged. For example I watched Spiderman 3D and the MARVEL logo and The Amazing Spiderman title seemed very slightly jagged. I am gonna try a 3D blu ray tonight and report back. Overall the 3D was excellent.

It doesnt have all the bells and whistles and the sleek look of the ES8000 but it has a great picture and no banding or clouding. This TV is 120hz but maybe its me. I think 240hz on my last tv actually made things look worse. Like it was trying too hard.

Ask me any questions if you want and I will try to answer them as best I can.

Jeffrey,

do you have the 50,60 or 70 inch ?
And by "no banding" do you mean the banding during panning scenes in sport manifestations?
If that's the case, than that is very good news.
I'm already waiting for more than a year for a big lcd screen without that sort of problem.
I sure hope the 550 comes to Europe.
post #468 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruver View Post

Jeffrey,

do you have the 50,60 or 70 inch ?
And by "no banding" do you mean the banding during panning scenes in sport manifestations?
If that's the case, than that is very good news.
I'm already waiting for more than a year for a big lcd screen without that sort of problem.
I sure hope the 550 comes to Europe.

My Sammy had these lines in the TV that looked like a Tic Tac Toe board.

60 inch
post #469 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:

OK 3D Blu Ray review:

Just watched the first ten minutes of Wreck It Ralph in 3D on Blu Ray and I saw none of the issues I did with Fios 3D so thats good news. I mean its not bad on FIOS. Its just not as good as Blu Ray.

The letter letter box lines at the top and bottom had no clouding or bleeding. (in a lighted room)

The actual 3D and motion was spot on. I hate to keep going back to the Samsung I had. But there was a part at the beginning where all the bad guys are in counseling and they recite the bad guy affirmation and the camera pans across to each character. No matter how many times I tweaked my settings the Samsung could not handle the motion during that part. it would get choppy. I was impressed that the Sony handled it with no problems. I actually like passive better then active 3D.

Next test The Hobbit and a little MLB the Show 13. After that NHL 13 on the Xbox 360.
TimeVu likes this.
post #470 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

OK 3D Blu Ray review:

Just watched the first ten minutes of Wreck It Ralph in 3D on Blu Ray and I saw none of the issues I did with Fios 3D so thats good news. I mean its not bad on FIOS. Its just not as good as Blu Ray.

The letter letter box lines at the top and bottom had no clouding or bleeding. (in a lighted room)

The actual 3D and motion was spot on. I hate to keep going back to the Samsung I had. But there was a part at the beginning where all the bad guys are in counseling and they recite the bad guy affirmation and the camera pans across to each character. No matter how many times I tweaked my settings the Samsung could not handle the motion during that part. it would get choppy. I was impressed that the Sony handled it with no problems. I actually like passive better then active 3D.

Next test The Hobbit and a little MLB the Show 13. After that NHL 13 on the Xbox 360.

I just saw the first half of Ice Age 4 3D on FIOS, and I have to say that I'm impressed so far. Sony seems to be employing the LG magic of having every other scanline drawn but not look like every other scanline is drawn. Very impressive. I seem to remember that LG did that by altering the order of the frames around, but I'm not sure. There *was* a time when the LGs looked very "scanliney", but they fixed that I believe mid 2012. Sony must either have purchased the firmware for that or implemented something similar.

I'm afraid of inviting disaster by writing good things about this TV.

At night with the lights off, there was no hint of flashlighting/bleeding at all. (knock on wood that stays). Also, there was not even a hint of clouding, but keep in mind that letterboxing doesn't provide a ton of black for that.

I'll need to tweek the 3D setting a little.....perspective was a little too protracted.

I have the 60", and it's a ton of TV for me.

So far this thing is fantastic. And yes, just saying that makes me nervous.

post #471 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

By the way, Amazon *does* offer the free Blu-Ray player. They do it by offering "up to" $139 off of it, and it costs less than that. I'm fairly certain it either 1. came on sale the day or two after I bought the set, or 2. I missed it entirely.

Well.........................................................................................................crap

post #472 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:

I just saw the first half of Ice Age 4 3D on FIOS, and I have to say that I'm impressed so far. Sony seems to be employing the LG magic of having every other scanline drawn but not look like every other scanline is drawn. Very impressive. I seem to remember that LG did that by altering the order of the frames around, but I'm not sure. There *was* a time when the LGs looked very "scanliney", but they fixed that I believe mid 2012. Sony must either have purchased the firmware for that or implemented something similar.

I'm afraid of inviting disaster by writing good things about this TV.

At night with the lights off, there was no hint of flashlighting/bleeding at all. (knock on wood that stays). Also, there was not even a hint of clouding, but keep in mind that letterboxing doesn't provide a ton of black for that.

I'll need to tweek the 3D setting a little.....perspective was a little too protracted.

I have the 60", and it's a ton of TV for me.

So far this thing is fantastic. And yes, just saying that makes me nervous.

The Hobbit looked amazing. The Xbox 360 looked and played great and now for the bad stuff:

Watched the Hobbit in the dark and noticed a little clouding in the left and right corners of the screen.

Also noticed that the screen isnt perfect. Some issues can be seen. When you switch inputs and the device isnt on you get a solid aqua colored screen and all the imperfections start popping out. I have a few uniformity issues with the screen but you cant see them on dark scenes only bright ones. Not sure if it warrants another return yet Three TV's and all had something wrong with them.
post #473 of 4197 Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeVu View Post

Finally mounted her last night all by myself. She's a beauty at only around 80 pounds. I think she could be a little higher smile.gif

Do you notice two bright almost like blobs on your screen? Right in the middle. The best time to see them is during a hockey game against the white ice.
post #474 of 4197 Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Do you notice two bright almost like blobs on your screen? Right in the middle. The best time to see them is during a hockey game against the white ice.

No. We've checked & don't see those "blobs" at all on our Sony 70R550. We've bought and compare this Sony with other Samsung and Sharp 70' and 80". We've finally settled on this Sony bases on Picture quality and value. We've been a fan of Samsung for the last 5 years and couldn't find any Samsung 70' or larger. This is definitely a keeper for us smile.gif
post #475 of 4197 Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gotta ask this again, because it's got me spooked and can't possibly be right.

Does anyone else's stand lean the TV back at a slight angle, or is it perfectly perpendicular to the surface it's on?

post #476 of 4197 Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Does anyone else's stand lean the TV back at a slight angle, or is it perfectly perpendicular to the surface it's on?
Mine is perfectly perpendicular. I think your only option is re-check/re-do/re-tighten the mounting of the TV onto the stand, including the re-attachment of the two black mounting posts to the chrome stand. Yes, it's a PITA to have to do this, but you would have to disassemble it all anyway if you return it due to the leaning problem; which I believe is a legitimate reason. Perhaps Sony would be willing to send you a new stand kit rather than get the whole TV shipped back to them by you or by your vendor. Bummer.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #477 of 4197 Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Liked: 11
You might of put the stand on backwards?

post #478 of 4197 Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

My TV's Picture Mode settings offer three choices: Vivid, Standard, and Custom. However, the owners manual (pg. 50) shows two additional modes: Cinema and Graphics. Anyone have these two modes in their settings menu or know how to activate them?
Also, at the top of the same page in the owners manual it refers to Scene Select settings, but I find no other explanation of this term or its function. Any ideas?
Found the Cinema Picture Mode: On your remote, select Options, then scroll down for Scene Select. In there you'll find the option for Cinema, which is what I've now set up for Blu-Ray/DVD viewing on HDMI3. As you spend time getting familiar with this TV, remember to take some time to look around in the Options area, which is inadequately addressed in the Owners Manual.

post #479 of 4197 Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Quote:

Mine is perfectly perpendicular. I think your only option is re-check/re-do/re-tighten the mounting of the TV onto the stand, including the re-attachment of the two black mounting posts to the chrome stand. Yes, it's a PITA to have to do this, but you would have to disassemble it all anyway if you return it due to the leaning problem; which I believe is a legitimate reason. Perhaps Sony would be willing to send you a new stand kit rather than get the whole TV shipped back to them by you or by your vendor. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Lev Arn View Post

You might of put the stand on backwards?

No, the arrows on that post were facing properly, and they're keyed to keep from screwing that up.

I don't want to run the risk of laying the thing down on its face (on cushions) for too long and run the risk of deforming it by a bazillionth of an inch and getting bleed and clouds. ARRRRGH. Pain in the ass. Further, pressing along the top upside-down is supposed to be a no-no as well. Light guides are very intolerant.

post #480 of 4197 Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Keep the TV off. Look at the reflection of the ceiling lights. Now move slowly left and right. Do you see the reflection go thorugh a kind of distortion? Sort of like the uneven surface of a pond.
I noticed the same distortion on my 70", but it doesn't seem to affect this screen's PQ, which is very good.
I was very impressed with the PQ in watching Avatar (2D and 3D) and Hunger Games on blu-ray last night - simply awesome. This TV's superb performance when fed by an uncompressed video source was a much-needed reality check because, in comparison, the PQ from my cable TV service is barely satisfactory due to all the compression in their feed; getting quite a bit of macro-blocking and pixelation lately.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page