Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and 70" - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4204 Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopcg View Post

I took delivery of this tv today in 50" and do not like it. I'm not a HT geek, but I know a good picture. History:

Had a 42" Panasonic PX600u Plasma and loved it. But after 7 years, it's losing its luster a bit, and I'm tired of lowering blinds to darken the room for daytime viewing.

I then found a great deal for a 50" Samsung ES6500 on Amazon. I liked it, but didn't love it. My chief complaint was that it just wasn't that bright -- the exact reason I went with an LED. Also, the detail in dark scenes was shockingly bad and it had a decent amount of clouding. So, I took a risk and ordered the Sony. It's all Amazon Prime so free delivery and returns.

Granted, I haven't had a lot of time to calibrate it, but here are my issues:

- it's even dimmer than the Samsung (and I have the Eco settings off)
- no matter what I do, I can't get the picture to "pop"
- not as important, but this tv is pretty ugly in person. Also, the stand is very low (compared to the Samsung and Panasonic)
- there needs to be a color temp between neutral and warm (maybe I can fix this with the hue)
- it does not handle fast motion in a hockey game well (better with all processing off, but still not great)
- chrome stand and plate behind the Sony name are very reflective and annoying
- it's a semi-matte screen, but still not very good in a bright room
- and most of all, when the camera pans during hockey, it has this annoying cloudy effect over the white ice. I think this must be DSE (which I assume stands for dirty screen effect).

On the positive, the blacks are great and it doesn't have the clouding that the Samsung had. Whoopie!

I'm now at a loss on what to exchange it for. I don't even care about 3D or smart features. I just want something 50-55" with a good, bright picture that holds up in a bright room, and handles fast motion well.

I agree with most of your points and also want a 60" display that does 2d well without noticeable screen issues hopefully there is one to be found.

Update - I find it odd Sony does not
Mention xreality engine anywhere on their website which leads me to wonder if they put in a different chipset/processor which may explain some of the issues in your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4204 Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM

Liked: 11
The Costco in La Mesa, Calif has had the RDL-70R550A for about 3 weeks at $2699. Yesterday, the price was dropped to $2599 and they are discounting it on sale another $100 until June 1st. So I'm going to grab one soon. This Sony is being displayed with a 70" Sharp on each side. It's obvious that the Sony is superior in sharpness and shadow detail. It's really obvious. I could not detect any obvious picture defects. I was lusting after the 65" HX950 but I missed the blowout at Best Buy for $3499. But now that I think about it, I would have felt bad paying even that price (no longer available) if 4k is going to be very affordable in about a year. At $2499 plus $99 for the Square Trade Warranty and Costco's extended warranty for 2 years (total of 5 years of coverage), I don't think I'll take a hit even if 4K is discounted early and I resell it. This is a feature laden set compared to the competition. And compared to my 50" Sony Projection LCD from 2004, this set will be like a rocket ship. As for sound options, I have a 2004 vintage Denon AVR-3805 with 7.1 analog inputs. I also have an OPPO BDP-103 with analog outputs to match. Should work well. The Denon also has unconverting from S-VHS to Component and I still have two S-VHS JVC VCRs. There are few AVRs with S conversion to HDMI but all are very expensive. Probably easier to buy the new Outlaw processor for $599 and use that? Stan in La Mesa, Calif.
post #543 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Additional info needed on that one: when you are watching a movie, are you driving it (I don't know the Sony term for it yet) at native 24 fps?
Also: Yes, cable feeds are horrrrrrrrrrrrible quality in comparison to what the TV can actually do. PLEASE TRY THIS:
1. Record the event to the DVR
2. Go frame by frame (Despite what the tech support grunts will tell you, the remote *will* allow you to do this----hit pause and then while paused the "jump forward 30 seconds" button will advance frame by frame). If you see the distortions frame by frame as well, then you'll know for certain that it's the feed. Obviously if the distortions are completely missing the battle is within the TV. But the conclusions aren't done yet...
3. Here's where I'm 1/3rd out of my element currently, but I'll speculate---I'll need to ask one of the compression mooks lurking around here about this: Chroma subsampling (currently 4:2:0 for all broadcast I believe) makes it very difficult for motion processors to figure out where boundaries are and how to calculate interpolative frames...
My blu-ray movies are played at 24fps, and the PQ is superb. On the other hand...
I tried your frame-by-frame test with my DVR for last night's hockey game, and there was a great deal of distortion/smearing in the fast action scenes, both during still camera scenes and during panning.
I believe these motion blur problems are due to the poor cable TV feed, given the superb performance of this TV with a blu-ray movie.
TimeVu likes this.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #544 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLyons1977 View Post

Well the new TV will be here between 2p-5p tomorrow. Never ever am I scheduled for a morning delivery.
Best of luck to you with the W802A; the specs and features look very good on paper; wish it was offered in a 70" size. Look forward to reading your impressions.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #545 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Just a quick update - while watching soccer this morning, the tv showed the same "dirty screen effect." When the camera panned horizontally over the green field, it looked as if parts if the screen have a reflection or haze.

Combine that with the rest of the issues, and this one is definitely going back. Overall, it's a pretty big step down from the Samsung ES6500, even with far less clouding and better detail in dark scenes.
post #546 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM

So are you all saying this TV sucks? I was planning on ordering this weekend but now some of you have me worried.
post #547 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Leeds View Post

So are you all saying this TV sucks? I was planning on ordering this weekend but now some of you have me worried.

I'm not. I love the thing so far.

Keep in mind: complaints will surface fastest and with the most vigor.
TimeVu likes this.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #548 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 AM

I was wanting to compare the sharp le757,the Vizio m701d and this Sony, Vizio is still not out yet, the Sony seems like a decent set I would love to see it next to the sharp
post #549 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I don't have a huge basis for comparison, except to say that it is a big step down from the Samsung ES6500 (that I sadly returned to buy this set). My issues with the Samsung seem rather trivial by comparison.
post #550 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopcg View Post

I don't have a huge basis for comparison, except to say that it is a big step down from the Samsung ES6500 (that I sadly returned to buy this set). My issues with the Samsung seem rather trivial by comparison.

I would suggest to stay away from this TV. Not impressed at all.
post #551 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I'm loving my 70".... No regrets whatsoever. and I'm coming from a 65" ES8000...
post #552 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Note, one hiccup that was solved with a firmware update.

FIOS when fastforwarding a 3D movie for a long period of time put the TV into a weird state where 3D would just not work. This seems to have been cleared up with the first firmware update to the TV.

Note: I had not yet done my internet setup, so it was still running on the default "factory" revision when it happened.

My fingers are crossed that this was the problem.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #553 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM

What is the input lag on these sets? How is "Game Mode"?

I recently bought a Panasonic 60ST60, and while its great, beautiful even, the input lag is starting to bother me.

And I do 90% of my TV viewing via gaming.
post #554 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I just looked at the Sony 70R550A and the Sharp 70LE757 with my wife. Neither of us could tell any difference at all. The 80LE632 however looked much better than anything else. But then again, who knows how they were set up. I was Costco and the 632 has the advantage of being Full-Array.
post #555 of 4204 Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I just looked at the Sony 70R550A and the Sharp 70LE757 with my wife. Neither of us could tell any difference at all. The 80LE632 however looked much better than anything else. But then again, who knows how they were set up. I was Costco and the 632 has the advantage of being Full-Array.

What were they charging for each of them? That's interesting....

post #556 of 4204 Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

What were they charging for each of them? That's interesting....

+1, I'm interested in this as well. Costco's website show the Sharp 70C7500 for $2400 but doesn't show the Sony at all.

After spending a lot of time considering 64" and 65" sets, and of course the endless plasma vs. led question, I'm starting to think I need to go 70" to see a big difference over our current 52" set. smile.gif Going that route would simplify things, because only Sony, Vizio and Sharp appear to make 70" sets. That being said, Sharp seems to have way too many different models of 70" set to sort through.

I will continue to watch this thread, but if anyone can suggest other threads for someone interested in a 70" tv please feel free to pass them along.
post #557 of 4204 Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know my 70R550a has now had two firmware downloads. It had one as soon as I connected it to the internet the first day.

I had a second on Friday evening. Haven't figured out how to get it to show the firmware version yet so I can't share a number.

Still extremely happy with the picture and mine does have a very slight tilt (3-5 deg) in it's stand.

BTW, I've posted my settings and would be interested to see how much variance there is. Please post your numbers if you're happy with the picture.

Here are mine again.

Picture Mode - Custom
Backlight - 5
Picture - 42
Brightness - 50
Color - 50
Hue - G2
Color Temperature - Neutral

All these are off:

Noise Reduction
MPEG Noise Reduction
Motionflow
Adv. Contrast Enhancer
Black Corrector
Gamma (set to 0)
Clear White
Live Color
LED Motion Mode

Bob

Sony KDL-70R550A, Onkyo TX-NR709 as preamp, Sunfire Cinema Grand power amp, Martin Logan SL3 - fronts, Martin Logan Cinema - center, Martin Logan Mosiac - surrounds, SVS 20-39 PC+ & PC12-NSD Subs, Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray, Denon DVD-756 for DVD-A, DirecTV HR-34 (Genie), Sony v2 Google TV.
post #558 of 4204 Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forget the theory for sec:

Have any of you been able to get rid of the SOE without squashing the PQ?

Turning off Motionflow is not enough. If you have no SOE, then what did you do?

post #559 of 4204 Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA.........

Take a quick look at the bottom edge of your screen with any content on it. Does the black (non-drawing part) arch upward slightly in the middle giving the screen an ever so slightly pinched-in-the-middle effect? Maybe 1/16th or 1/8th inch higher in the middle than at the corners.

It might just be a black masking that it covering the very edges of the screen, but it does bow upward on my TV.

Sucks having OCD.

post #560 of 4204 Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 AM

I have to say, just bought the tv a few days ago, i did have 2 firmware updates as well. I am loving the tv so far. I still am on the default picture quality settings though, but i may turn off cinemotion (SOE) and motionflow. Anyone else want to chime in on if they have them turned on or off? and why??

Also, if we could get some more PQ settings on here from calibration discs, that would be great!
post #561 of 4204 Old 05-12-2013, 05:31 PM

I ordered the tv from best buy. It comes Friday.
post #562 of 4204 Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 PM

I'm considering getting the 50" model of this, but it seems everyone has gotten the 70". Currently I have a 46" Sony KDL-46V5100. I know, 50" is "small" but it's all that'll fit in my current setup.

Do you guys think this is a logical upgrade? I get LED and 3D, but I just want to make sure it offers similar/better picture. The Source (Canadian store) has it for $1099 (vs $1299 from Sony) until May 22. I figure this will be my last upgrade until jumping to 4K in another 3 years or so.
post #563 of 4204 Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody knows if the R550A series comes with X.V. colors capability?
post #564 of 4204 Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM

I swung by Costco today and the price has dropped to $2,499... I talked to customer service and they said to just bring in the original receipt and they will issue the refund difference of $100. They did mention that there is a difference in Mfg rebate vs just a price drop when it comes to how long you can wait to get the price diff refund.... I didn't pay much attention to that part since I just bought mine 9 days ago but I believe one is 2 weeks and the other is 4 weeks...
post #565 of 4204 Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM

For those of you wondering about input lag on the R550A series for gaming, displaylag.com lists the 70R550A as a top pick for 2013. That's good news! I suspect the other sizes are similar, don't think they've tested every size. Here is the article:
http://www.displaylag.com/introducing-2013s-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-part-1/
post #566 of 4204 Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM

I love my 70 inch sony so far. I have had it for about two weeks. I am lucky that mine is in a dark room so unless a light is on glare is not a problem.

I do not notice mine leaning. I put the stand together then lifted the tv up and sat it on the stand.

I have noticed sometimes in heavy action video you get a bit of blur in spots but not sure it is the tvs fault.

The 3d seems almost as good as the imax theater. And I have not had the picture adjusted yet.

I am not a av geek I just like watching movies at home and so far I love the set for that.
post #567 of 4204 Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
You should take the plunge and try some of the settings recommended here.
post #568 of 4204 Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLyons1977 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeVu View Post

No. We've checked & don't see those "blobs" at all on our Sony 70R550. We've bought and compare this Sony with other Samsung and Sharp 70' and 80". We've finally settled on this Sony bases on Picture quality and value. We've been a fan of Samsung for the last 5 years and couldn't find any Samsung 70' or larger. This is definitely a keeper for us smile.gif

Well I checked the store and my set if a defect. Replacement is coming Saturday. It was bad it changed the color of the ice of the hockey game as the screen panned left to right. Here is a picture you can see a large bright blob on the left side.

Just noticed *very* similar blob like Uneven lighting / DSE on my screen tonight. frown.gif Arrrrrgh.

Yeah, it's really noticeable when things are panning that are light grey and *nearly* uniform in color. Just enough pattern so your eyes want to track it and it you notice the DSE because it's staying in one spot. Once you start seeing it, you start seeing it on static lightly colored scenes everywhere.

post #569 of 4204 Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 AM

SO, does anybody care to post their picture settings? I find it hard to believe there aren't any settings in this thread yet. Do all of you owners prefer motionflow and cinemotion on or off? what about picture settings for xbox or ps3? or movies?? Any info would be appreciated by all, thanks!
post #570 of 4204 Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartell View Post

SO, does anybody care to post their picture settings? I find it hard to believe there aren't any settings in this thread yet. Do all of you owners prefer motionflow and cinemotion on or off? what about picture settings for xbox or ps3? or movies?? Any info would be appreciated by all, thanks!

Look straight up.. about 12 post up.... Bobster has posted his settings. Mine are similar except I have slightly different settings for Brightness and Picture (contrast). I also use Adv. Contrast Enhancer. Works great for me in a rather bright room.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl 50r550a 50 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page