Originally Posted by chopcg
I took delivery of this tv today in 50" and do not like it. I'm not a HT geek, but I know a good picture. History:
Had a 42" Panasonic PX600u Plasma and loved it. But after 7 years, it's losing its luster a bit, and I'm tired of lowering blinds to darken the room for daytime viewing.
I then found a great deal for a 50" Samsung ES6500 on Amazon. I liked it, but didn't love it. My chief complaint was that it just wasn't that bright -- the exact reason I went with an LED. Also, the detail in dark scenes was shockingly bad and it had a decent amount of clouding. So, I took a risk and ordered the Sony. It's all Amazon Prime so free delivery and returns.
Granted, I haven't had a lot of time to calibrate it, but here are my issues:
- it's even dimmer than the Samsung (and I have the Eco settings off)
- no matter what I do, I can't get the picture to "pop"
- not as important, but this tv is pretty ugly in person. Also, the stand is very low (compared to the Samsung and Panasonic)
- there needs to be a color temp between neutral and warm (maybe I can fix this with the hue)
- it does not handle fast motion in a hockey game well (better with all processing off, but still not great)
- chrome stand and plate behind the Sony name are very reflective and annoying
- it's a semi-matte screen, but still not very good in a bright room
- and most of all, when the camera pans during hockey, it has this annoying cloudy effect over the white ice. I think this must be DSE (which I assume stands for dirty screen effect).
On the positive, the blacks are great and it doesn't have the clouding that the Samsung had. Whoopie!
I'm now at a loss on what to exchange it for. I don't even care about 3D or smart features. I just want something 50-55" with a good, bright picture that holds up in a bright room, and handles fast motion well.